PDA

View Full Version : 2009-10 Division I Regional Championships-- Starts Friday at Cal Berkeley.

Fedace
10-21-2009, 06:43 AM
OK lets get excited. ITA regionals starts this friday for Stanford Men and at Stanford home courts for Women. Alex Clayton is the Defending Champion. Look for him to Repeat this year. Site and draws in the link.

http://www.itatennis.com/Events/Wilson_ITA_Regional_Championships.htm

You can watch all the Action on Webcam at both sites, lucky us.

http://www.gostanford.com/livestats/tennis/StanfordTennis.html

http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-tennis/cal-m-tennis-body.html

Go Stanford. :)

stanfordtennis alum
10-22-2009, 02:35 PM
good luck to klahn and clayton.. keep us updated

Fedace
10-22-2009, 02:39 PM

Who do you think will win this year if they both make the Finals again ? Alex sqeeked out a close one last year...:)

jaggy
10-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Started today in Bloomington Indiana, qualies anyway. I talked to Chris Woodruff.

Fedace
10-22-2009, 06:59 PM
This is one of the most dominant show of tennis power in this region in years. Stanford is well represented in this tournament. Cmon Denis Lin.......

STANFORD, Calif.- Next up for Stanford is this weekend's Wilson/Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Northwest Championships, with competition scheduled for Oct. 23-27 in Berkeley.

California will serve as the host school for the event, which showcases top players from the following ITA Northwest region schools: Stanford, Eastern Washington, Fresno State, Gonzaga, Oregon, Pacific, Portland, Sacramento State, Saint Mary's, San Francisco, Santa Clara, UC Davis and Washington.

In singles play, Stanford will be represented by five different players. Junior Alex Clayton and sophomore Bradley Klahn are the tournament's top two seeds, respectively. Junior Greg Hirshman (No. 5), senior Richard Wire (No. 5) and Matt Kandath (No. 17) are also seeded in the draw. Of those players, only Kandath will have to play a first-round match. He is opposed by San Francisco's Alex Kotlyar.

Junior Ted Kelly plays Fresno State's Hugo Verdi, freshman Sam Ecker faces Fresno State's Rikus DeVilliers, freshman Denis Lin matches up with Eastern Washington's Nico Reigo DeDios and freshman Walker Kehrer battles Saint Mary's Steven Dawson.

Four doubles teams are in action. Klahn and Thacher are paired together as the No. 1 overall seed while Clayton and Wire are seeded No. 5. Both squads have a first-round bye.

The freshman pairing of Lin and Kehrer faces San Francisco's Einar Hart and Ola Bakke while Hirshman and Ecker take on Portland's Daniel Coehlo and Nick Wales.

Fedace
10-23-2009, 09:46 AM
OK play is underway. Denis Lin playing at Hellman stadium courts at 12:30pm. His match is the only 1st round match at Hellman with webcams. Cal decided to put all the other Stanford boys on the OTHER courts.......... Underhanded if you ask me..............

http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-tennis/spec-rel/video-webcast-07.html

Fedace
10-23-2009, 07:16 PM
Way to go Stanford. We will make it a ALL stanford round of 16....how about it ?

ST Denis Lin destroys 17th seed Tirelli 6-2 6-2.

Fedace
10-24-2009, 03:20 PM
Way to go Matt Kandath. Takes the 1st set against a very good washington player. :)

Lindsay
10-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Way to go Stanford. We will make it a ALL stanford round of 16....how about it ?

ST Denis Lin destroys 17th seed Tirelli 6-2 6-2.

All standford round of 16? Do they have 16 players in the draw?

Fedace
10-24-2009, 03:47 PM
WOW incredible domination. Matt Kandath knocks off the #3 seed from Washington,,, 7-6 6-1. With Talents like this, how can we lose in coming season. I see Undefeated season coming next year....

ClarkC
10-24-2009, 05:50 PM
The top teams should dominate their regionals unless there happens to be two top 16 teams in one regional. For example, in the Atlantic regional, Virginia put 6 players into the quarterfinals and now have 4 in the semifinals. In doubles, 3 Virginia teams are in the semifinals. But the new regional alignment has a Carolinas region that pulled away most of our competition from the old Mid-Atlantic region.

Stanford is in a regional with no Southern California teams. What would you expect under those conditions?

Fedace
10-24-2009, 08:40 PM
The top teams should dominate their regionals unless there happens to be two top 16 teams in one regional. For example, in the Atlantic regional, Virginia put 6 players into the quarterfinals and now have 4 in the semifinals. In doubles, 3 Virginia teams are in the semifinals. But the new regional alignment has a Carolinas region that pulled away most of our competition from the old Mid-Atlantic region.

Stanford is in a regional with no Southern California teams. What would you expect under those conditions?

I think this tournament is to showcase some of the new talents at Stanford. such as Matt kandath, and Dennis Lin. They had some impressive wins in this tournament. #3 seed that matt knocked off on saturday is a very talented player from Washington. :)

Wondertoy
10-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Clayton goes down in the Rd32.

Fedace
10-25-2009, 03:46 AM

What happened to Alex ? He went down to a 17th seed from CAL Chris.Konigsfldt (17) 4-6;7-6(4);7-5.

Joeyg
10-25-2009, 05:39 AM
The curse of the avatar is alive and well.

pricey_aus
10-25-2009, 11:51 PM
Klahn will take it out.

I got a question, too.

I see schools like Portland, Sacramento, places like that with players in the draw. What level are these guys at? Im really keen on college I just wonder what sort of level they are at.

skyzoo
10-26-2009, 05:24 AM
Klahn will take it out.

I got a question, too.

I see schools like Portland, Sacramento, places like that with players in the draw. What level are these guys at? Im really keen on college I just wonder what sort of level they are at.
i was watching a sacramento guy and he looked around 4.5-5.0. I'm sure that's disputable though. it might be lower

TourTenor
10-26-2009, 07:30 AM
WOW incredible domination. Matt Kandath knocks off the #3 seed from Washington,,, 7-6 6-1. With Talents like this, how can we lose in coming season. I see Undefeated season coming next year....
Fedace,
Which team member are you?:confused:

TourTenor
10-26-2009, 09:14 AM
Careful, TT. Your post might be interpreted as trolling and/or making fun of a certain "physician". I have had posts removed for less.
Oh, ehhh, soorrry about that. But, in my defense, I was just adding up the evidence and thought, well, this surely is Bradley Klahn with a hangover.

So, let's see, he obviously has intimate knowledge about the team (i.e. he indicates that he has lunched with the team in the past) and he uses 'we' when talking about how the team is doing, he talks about the coach like an insider (talks about conversations he has had with Coach Whit), and, on and on. Well, you see, that's why I thought ... I mean, I just added two and two together and yep ---- he might be on the team!

Fedace
10-27-2009, 05:00 PM
Klahn will take it out.

I got a question, too.

YOU are RIGHT. We have a new champion. Bradley Klahn. Look for him at ITA national team indoor championships next month at Yale. I have a feeling he will bring home the championship to Stanford where it belongs. We are behind you all the way, Bradley.
I hear that Yale has a Livecam as well, lets hope that is true.

http://itaindoors.com/default.aspx :) :)

2ndServe
10-28-2009, 10:01 AM
How big is klahn, I've seen him play a little bit on TV and he's got a pretty big game.

Fedace
10-28-2009, 10:11 AM
How big is klahn, I've seen him play a little bit on TV and he's got a pretty big game.

Bradley Klahn -- 6'0", 150lbs, Poway, CA (Poway HS)

He is not that big. his game is more based on speed and taking advantage of lefty spins and creating angles.:)

pricey_aus
10-28-2009, 02:13 PM
He's good, but I just cannot see him winning the National Singles Championship next year...

Fedace
10-28-2009, 02:15 PM
He's good, but I just cannot see him winning the National Singles Championship next year...

I agree. Alex should win it all next year..:)

T10s747
10-30-2009, 07:07 AM
Bradley Klahn -- 6'0", 150lbs, Poway, CA (Poway HS)

He is not that big. his game is more based on speed and taking advantage of lefty spins and creating angles.:)

True that, but his game works very well at the junior and college level. It woul;d be interesting to see if he makes it on the tour.

Fedace
10-30-2009, 07:24 AM
True that, but his game works very well at the junior and college level. It woul;d be interesting to see if he makes it on the tour.

I REALLY hate saying this. but i don't think his chances are all that great in the pros. I would love to see him prove me wrong, however...

T10s747
10-30-2009, 09:38 AM
I think I'll go next weekend to Yale and take in the indoors.

Fedace
10-30-2009, 09:09 PM
I think I'll go next weekend to Yale and take in the indoors.

do you know if Yale has webcams ?

Hey, Moe!
10-30-2009, 09:39 PM
The fall ITA tournament series is a good thing, and it is well worth watching. It is a good opportunity to knock heads in the fall.

However, I do believe that for many of the players, it is not quite a "100-percent" kind of thing. Maybe close, but not quite.

Rug-cutting time comes in the winter/spring, when the conferences start up.

Trust me, I've seen it time and time again.

T10s747
10-31-2009, 10:27 AM
do you know if Yale has webcams ?

I wouldn't think so, but I don't know.