PDA

View Full Version : To All the TW 130 mph Servers

ihearit1st
10-21-2009, 07:03 AM
Justin Shane, a Blue Chip recruit, just committed to UVA. He's 6'5 and is quoted ""That's who I like. I play like him," Shane said. "I'm an aggressive baseliner. I have a pretty good serve, around 110 (miles per hour), and like to move my opponent around a lot. I'll come in occasionally if I get an easier shot."

I read too often on this site that TW posters can crack 125, 130 with their serves, or know someone who can. This kid is a blue chip, incredibly tall, and considers his 110 mph serve big. Hopefully now when people read about these HUGE serves we talk about TWers having, we can realize they're probably adding 35mphs.

sureshs
10-21-2009, 07:15 AM
Since there are no TW 130 mph servers, no one will respond on this thread. Or rather, they shouldn't.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-21-2009, 07:17 AM
Justin Shane, a Blue Chip recruit, just committed to UVA. He's 6'5 and is quoted ""That's who I like. I play like him," Shane said. "I'm an aggressive baseliner. I have a pretty good serve, around 110 (miles per hour), and like to move my opponent around a lot. I'll come in occasionally if I get an easier shot."

I read too often on this site that TW posters can crack 125, 130 with their serves, or know someone who can. This kid is a blue chip, incredibly tall, and considers his 110 mph serve big. Hopefully now when people read about these HUGE serves we talk about TWers having, we can realize they're probably adding 35mphs.
Being tall has nothing to do with the speed of the serve, Roddick and Tsonga serves a lot harder than for example Karlovic and Isner, Thomas Johansson who was just under 6` served around 130-135 mph whenever he wanted.

ibeeskeef
10-21-2009, 07:49 AM
I regularly serve way over 135. Sometimes I have been known to break the 145 barrier!! (we are talking about kilometers per hour, right?)

sureshs
10-21-2009, 08:01 AM
I regularly serve way over 135. Sometimes I have been known to break the 145 barrier!! (we are talking about kilometers per hour, right?)

No..............

film1
10-21-2009, 08:24 AM

I have not seen many say they can serve 130 mph but I agree, a lot of people over estimate how hard they serve, not sure if it is ego or wishful thinking.

I feel sure a guy like Tony Lars plays guys who can serve 125-130 who can't come close to handling him.
It's only one aspect of the game.

advantagetennis1
10-21-2009, 10:54 AM
I have not seen many say they can serve 130 mph but I agree, a lot of people over estimate how hard they serve, not sure if it is ego or wishful thinking.

I feel sure a guy like Tony Lars plays guys who can serve 125-130 who can't come close to handling him.
It's only one aspect of the game.

not manyppl serve 125 to 130 and if they do its not just there serve thats good... have u seen anyone hit a 130 mph serve in the box then not know how to hit a forehand? justin shanes a very good player prob equivalent to about 500 atp. he hits huge

10isplayer
10-21-2009, 02:09 PM
not manyppl serve 125 to 130 and if they do its not just there serve thats good... have u seen anyone hit a 130 mph serve in the box then not know how to hit a forehand? justin shanes a very good player prob equivalent to about 500 atp. he hits huge

Shane is a very good player but he is definitely not equivalent to ATP 500 player as you say.

Kick Serve 14
10-21-2009, 03:57 PM
While i agree with your statements... being tall has nothing to do with it... i can go up to 100 mph at will and i'm 5'9"

Lindsay
10-21-2009, 04:49 PM
I think some of the biggest servers in the game were taller than usual. Sampras, ivanesevic, krajicek, rudsedski, roddick. I believe they are all at least 6 '2. And I think we can all agree that isner and karlovic wouldn't be top 100 without their serves. I will admit height doesn't guarantee a big serve, but it's very important. Last I heard the average top 100 tour height was 6' even. I would say the top 10 servers on the tour, without looking at stats before hand, are averaging over 6'2.

I think this thread is about the over exageration of players on these boards, but I could be wrong.

Orly?yarly!nowai!
10-21-2009, 11:11 PM

Here is about 115 on first serves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGJxugMcni8

You are 100% correct, most people that say they can sever 125 are lying

SoCalDominates
10-22-2009, 05:43 AM

i got gunned at kalamazoo at 115 and Im only 5'9" I think its only believable on here if 1) u have a video or 2) people know who u r and what ur ranked. If someone is a 1 or 2 star they probably dont serve 115+

sk8ing
10-25-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm 15 and 5'9 and I got serve 100Mph but not consitently with bad placement...but I can top 100 ;)

wyutani
10-25-2009, 10:09 PM
if its in 130 kmh, maybe im a candidate.

Swissv2
10-25-2009, 10:48 PM

Many people on this site have a delusion of speed. Most of them that state they can serve 125-130 most likely haven't even clocked their actual serve.
Problem is: barely anyone on this forum has properly clocked their serve, and base their estimation on what they "feel" their serve speed is.

Personally, when I started out I thought I could serve at least 100 mph. I finally purchased a speed gun, and was devastated that the max I served (even those really good ones) were only 80 mph. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't top 83 mph.

After that humbling experience, I made it a point to learn how to serve over 100 mph. Only after a while of learning techniques of serving faster, did I finally get to the 100 mph range and over. The max I have clocked is 115.

But what is a good indicator of proper serve speed when you can't compare it to other people? Another advantage I had was I was able to use the same speed gun with university players. I set up the clock for them, served a 90mph serve, and one or two 100-105mph serves, then without changing anything, had them serve it up. While I could only get a max of 108 mph, they were easily clocking in at 112-118. They all decided to crank it up and several guys got 130+ serves in, but not everyone on the team could do it.

How could these guys serve so fast yet I could not? Proper technique and ability was key. Even their shorter players could serve in the 120s.

mtommer
10-26-2009, 12:48 AM
i got gunned at kalamazoo at 115 and Im only 5'9" I think its only believable on here if 1) u have a video or 2) people know who u r and what ur ranked. If someone is a 1 or 2 star they probably dont serve 115+

This year? If so, you served faster. Most players with previous gun measurements said on avg about 7-10 mph slow.

fluffy Beaver
10-26-2009, 02:16 AM
What 130+ looks like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqbYos_F7PY&feature=player_profilepage

Pim Pim is so beasty.

eagle
10-26-2009, 04:50 AM
Let's say that you can truly hit 100+mph serves.

Can you do it with a success rate over 60% throughout a 3 or 5 set match?

I'm not talking once in a while but all the time. And not the usual "practice as 4.5-5.0 but play 3.0-3.5 during matches".

r,
eagle

skyzoo
10-26-2009, 05:49 AM
Pim Pim is the man. no questions asked

Swissv2
10-26-2009, 07:07 AM

I'm not talking once in a while but all the time. And not the usual "practice as 4.5-5.0 but play 3.0-3.5 during matches".

r,
eagle

In TW World...of course!

There are many on these forums that can serve

Faster than both Nadal and Federer but not as fast as Roddick
Have a 110+ mph (yes, mph) "kick serve" *which is faster than Roddick's kick serve*
Have at least a 70% serve percentage or above.We witness "greatness" on TW forums on a daily basis.
:mrgreen:

ClarkC
10-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Being tall has nothing to do with the speed of the serve ...

True. Herve Villechaize (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herv%C3%A9_Villechaize) regularly served over 140 miles per hour.

skyzoo
10-26-2009, 03:30 PM
True. Herve Villechaize (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herv%C3%A9_Villechaize) regularly served over 140 miles per hour.
effortlessly

Falloutjr
10-26-2009, 04:57 PM
effortlessly

In the body, too.

WBF
10-26-2009, 06:03 PM
So because one good player says he has a 110mph serve and said it was pretty good (which you extrapolated to 'big'), other people don't serve faster?

Please consider a course on logic.

I'm one of the people who claim this by the way (120 nowadays: weak/out of shape). Players like him would dominate me. So would most D1 players. Regardless of how they serve. Why? Because tennis isn't about a serve. And a serve isn't about MPH.

coyfish
10-26-2009, 06:30 PM
I have clocked my serve at 125 down the middle. Was my fastest serve going for nothing but pace.

I served normally and averaged 100-110 on flat 1st serves aiming for spots. I play on the club team at college and all of the 4.5+ guys serve 100+ on flat 1st serves with few exception. I just think most of the TW posters are young and/or lower level.

But I agree with WBF. I find that a lot of the people I play end up returning / playing better themselves when I increase my level. I serve 110mph down the T and they bump it back deep to the baseline. Then I serve an 80mph right down the middle and they mishit it. Its pretty funny.

Dream_On
10-27-2009, 12:32 PM
I had my serve clocked at 115 mph at my club the other day, not sure how accurate the speedgun was but it only went up to 115..

Thing is though, hitting it at 100mph is so much more consistant and easyer to place since when I hit it the hardest I can I get not so much control or consistancy on it and any decent player will just block it back.

skyzoo
10-27-2009, 12:37 PM
I had my serve clocked at 115 mph at my club the other day, not sure how accurate the speedgun was but it only went up to 115..

Thing is though, hitting it at 100mph is so much more consistant and easyer to place since when I hit it the hardest I can I get not so much control or consistancy on it and any decent player will just block it back.
You definitly hit around 160 +

jmhs
10-27-2009, 04:59 PM

This kid is a blue chip, incredibly tall, and considers his 110 mph serve big.

You need to see Justin play before making your point. If you've seen Justin serve, you know that his serve is, as he says, "pretty good" (not "big"). He places it well and moves it around. But it's probably the weakest part of his game.

ihearit1st
10-27-2009, 07:09 PM
You need to see Justin play before making your point. If you've seen Justin serve, you know that his serve is, as he says, "pretty good" (not "big"). He places it well and moves it around. But it's probably the weakest part of his game.

Funny, I have.

ClarkC
10-27-2009, 07:23 PM

I have seen him play, and I did not think his serve was the weakest part of his game. Neither did the Division I coaches who were watching.

Dream_On
10-28-2009, 04:39 AM
You definitly hit around 160 +

oh yeah?

I reckon I could hit 200 if im honest, maybe more on a good day :shock:

Not as fast as you obv, you must serve at 250

bigfoot910
10-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Here is about 115 on first serves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGJxugMcni8

You are 100% correct, most people that say they can sever 125 are lying

How did you calculate the speed on those serves? I have played with both of those guys and don't ever remember seeing them hit 115...

They are solid players, but I don't see any rockets coming off the serve.

jmhs
10-28-2009, 04:42 PM
I have seen him play, and I did not think his serve was the weakest part of his game. Neither did the Division I coaches who were watching.

No problem. I'm not dumb enough to argue with you or D1 coaches.

Although I've watched him play a lot, I haven't drawn (a word:wink:? him in MATA L1s, my friends who have played him more than once say that his serve is attackable...groundies are mighty tough...volleys okay...movement not great. He would have no trouble holding serve against me, but it would be more because his supreme confidence and skill in his Del Potro-like ground game. He will really be ridiculous when he beefs up.

LafayetteHitter
10-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Being in the nightclub business for many years we learn to judge our competitors door count numbers that they report to us this way, whatever they say minus 50 to 75 percent. I say the same goes for most of the guys here with their serve numbers.

babolat15
11-02-2009, 03:20 PM
I am very close friends with Ryan Lipman. For those of you who are not familiar with him he came in 2nd at the zoo this year and is now starting a successful career at Vandy. When him and I were training I asked him how hard he typically serves. He told me normally he doesnt go over 90. The catch is that he has put him self in the situation where he can hit it 90 and place it on a dime. The precision he uses when serving sets him up to win a lot more points then being able to serve 125. With most people today pace isn't that important if they can see the ball they can get it back. 130 into the returners strike zone is a lot worse than an 85 mph slider place on the line.

skyzoo
11-02-2009, 03:59 PM
oh yeah?

I reckon I could hit 200 if im honest, maybe more on a good day :shock:

Not as fast as you obv, you must serve at 250
No. why would I lie about my serve speed? I max out at 12 km/h. I ussualy don't go for the flat serves because I can't place it very well. My slice serve is where it's at though.

ace92
11-04-2009, 12:13 PM
size definitely does has to be taken into account. justin shanes serve is definitely considered weak compared to the rest of the game. part of this might be because he is not a very good athlete or because he is so skinny. there are a handfew of senior bluechips who can serve about 130 on a regular basis and he definitely isnt one of them.

NickC
11-04-2009, 12:29 PM
I know someone who has clocked it at 125, or faster. Of course, that person now plays at a high-level D1 program and played at Kalamazoo several times...

Dashbarr
12-02-2009, 08:04 PM
I have been clocked at 110, and I know I can serve harder than that. 130? No, but I have seen people who are not pro's or Div I players that have flirted with 135.

Steady Eddy
12-05-2009, 04:39 PM
So because one good player says he has a 110mph serve and said it was pretty good (which you extrapolated to 'big'), other people don't serve faster?

Please consider a course on logic.

I'm one of the people who claim this by the way (120 nowadays: weak/out of shape). Players like him would dominate me. So would most D1 players. Regardless of how they serve. Why? Because tennis isn't about a serve. And a serve isn't about MPH.You're weak and out of shape yet serve 120 mph? Could you post video of it here, please?

(You don't need a course in logic, but I'd like to suggest a polygraph.)

okdude1992
12-05-2009, 06:47 PM
I know a guy who got clocked at 138 mph once. that is BIG! He practiced with taylor dent a couple of years ago. played d3 college. former baseball pitcher who could throw in the 90s. serve and volley player. mediocre groundstrokes.

In reality most people who say they can hit 130 on this board are full of *****.

MethodTennis
12-14-2009, 11:15 AM
Most I've hit was 73mph but that was 2 years ago i last got clocked and i was only 11 and 5ft now im probably hitting a tad faster but not much maybe 3-4mph faster. Placement is much improved

Blade0324
12-14-2009, 12:11 PM
Been working with a coach recently that is a former top 100 in the world player and owned the fastest serve until Roddick broke his record. He is now 43 and doesn't hit as big as he used to but when we have had the gun out he was able to crack some in the upper 130's. Let me tell you that is absolutely huge when you are facing it. He has been able to help me get mine up to avg. of about 105 for firsts and about 80-83 on seconds with pretty good consistancy. I have hit a couple bigger than that but so far have not been able to get to that 110 mark. Having faced good 4.5 and 5.0 players I can tell you that their serves are not anywhere near the pace or spin he can hit. Top atp players serve in a completely different league than what most anyone realizes. As hard as I could work I will never be able to get to that level of serve.

adista4
12-14-2009, 12:52 PM
What 130+ looks like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqbYos_F7PY&feature=player_profilepage

Pim Pim is so beasty.

agree...outrageous serve

ihearit1st
12-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Been working with a coach recently that is a former top 100 in the world player and owned the fastest serve until Roddick broke his record. He is now 43 and doesn't hit as big as he used to but when we have had the gun out he was able to crack some in the upper 130's. Let me tell you that is absolutely huge when you are facing it. He has been able to help me get mine up to avg. of about 105 for firsts and about 80-83 on seconds with pretty good consistancy. I have hit a couple bigger than that but so far have not been able to get to that 110 mark. Having faced good 4.5 and 5.0 players I can tell you that their serves are not anywhere near the pace or spin he can hit. Top atp players serve in a completely different league than what most anyone realizes. As hard as I could work I will never be able to get to that level of serve.

Greg Rudsedski? He had the record before Roddick.

TnsMan2
12-14-2009, 06:58 PM
To all who want a faster serve , increase your speed quite a bit , get a hold of me through my you tube account "ONLY IF YOUR AMERICAN" any one who is not from America don't bother , please don't be offended but I have my priorities.

I will help you to increase by 10 -15 mph, we were able to take my son who was being clock at best 85-90 to about 115 -120 , i do have to say my son was and is very disciplined and you will have to be also , and this will not take weights. Regards

Knightmace
12-17-2009, 05:29 PM
People lie.

No one on here can serve 130mph, probably 130km

star 5 15
12-17-2009, 05:46 PM
I usually serve about 100-105mph when I'm serving bombs and I can hit them consistenly in. That's when I'm actually playing. I did crack some in the little serving booth at the cincy masters though however. I think the hardest one I hit was 117mph and that was in flip flops. god knows where it probably would've gone. the 100-105 is what I can hit in.

Edit: BTW I'm a 16yr old junior and my serve is one of my biggest weapons. I've had around 13 or 14 aces in matches before.

Mr.Bong
01-08-2010, 12:26 PM
I know my serve can only go to the upper 90 mph
how can many people claim they can hit 130
if so they should be a pro

Power Player
01-08-2010, 12:46 PM
My tops as a Jr. was 115 clocked. I aced about everyone when that thing was going in. I am more focused on developing90-100 mph first serves that go in with placement now.

notennis
01-08-2010, 12:51 PM
I know my serve can only go to the upper 90 mph
how can many people claim they can hit 130
if so they should be a pro

Unless people can demonstrate using a speed gun it is not worth believing. Mr Baughman claims his 12-13 year old can hit a 115 - 120 which is not quite possible and one big stupid lie.......Lets see him demonstrate proof which I highly doubt he can......LOL

Remember, this is a kid that can do 50 headstand push ups. LOL
You have to be carefull what you believe on here.......

brosamj
01-08-2010, 12:58 PM

I get your point, but your argument is wrong from the beginning. Shae says "I have a pretty good serve, around 110...and like to move my opponents around a lot."

You took that to mean that he considers his 110 serve big. Where did you get 'big' from? He says it as clear as day, he has a 'pretty good serve' but he then focuses on the key part of the sentence, he 'likes to move my opponent around a lot.'

I will say, a 110 mph serve at a good D1 school is a pretty good serve. I would agree with that. I will also say that there are a lot of really good D1 kids that can serve 120mph and have a pretty good serve and a lot of really good D1 kids that serve at 100mph who have a pretty good serve.

Now if your point is that many on this form can't hit a serve that fast, then I would agree with that.

Orly?yarly!nowai!
01-10-2010, 08:17 PM
How did you calculate the speed on those serves? I have played with both of those guys and don't ever remember seeing them hit 115...

They are solid players, but I don't see any rockets coming off the serve.

You have never hit with me.

I can calculate the speed on the serve because I hit 122 at 16 at the cincy masters. That was 8 years ago.

mikro112
01-10-2010, 10:10 PM
You have never hit with me.

I can calculate the speed on the serve because I hit 122 at 16 at the cincy masters. That was 8 years ago.

Your username is a WIN!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/mikro112/output.gif

Marshredder
01-10-2010, 11:09 PM
I can serve at 100mph, but it wont go ANYWHERE near the service box :lol:

My standard serves probably 70-85 mph.

Dashbarr
01-11-2010, 10:20 PM
I have clocked 110 in street clothes. I'm 16 and 5'7".

onehandbh
01-14-2010, 02:00 PM
When I was 5 years old I played little league baseball and
could throw a fastball around 95mph*.
What kind of serve speed would that translate to?

* This is if I threw it straight down from a plane. Terminal velocity for a baseball is around
95 mph.

tennisboygr
01-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Hit one at 110 mph, and my arm hurt afterwards. I probably flirt around 80-90 mph on first serves, and 60-70 mph on second.

SmAsH999
05-13-2010, 09:06 AM
based on the variety in the junior game, i don't think it's possible for someone on these forums to hit 120 or so. there are some futures players on here, and a senior at my high school was clocked at 120 something at USTA nats. it's not crazy. but 130, crazyyyy.......

ga tennis
05-13-2010, 09:24 AM
I probably served around 90mph while i was playing college tennis.I WISH I COULD SERVE 130!!!! It would have made the game alot easier...

mtommer
05-13-2010, 10:46 AM

Absolutely I can (yes, I know how old this comment is.) hit 100+mph serves successfully over 60% of the time. Oh, or did he mean hitting the serves IN 60% of the time. http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/alienl-023.gif

TearSNFX
05-18-2010, 07:03 AM
These boards are filled with haters.

pgreg
05-19-2010, 09:41 AM
My friend can crank it up to almost 140....good player, but no Blue Chip. Just because somebody can serve big doesn't mean they are great (and vice versa)

I can hit a golf ball 300+ yards.....I don't consider myself a great golfer.

drakulie
05-19-2010, 09:59 AM
Hopefully now when people read about these HUGE serves we talk about TWers having, we can realize they're probably adding 35mphs.

more like 50-60 mph.

Smurf
05-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Hmmm I was clocked at 100 exactly when I was 14 yrs old, never been clocked since, now Im nearly 19. I cant find a speed gun that doesnt clock ball's over 99 mph that is under 100 bucks.

gino
05-19-2010, 06:58 PM

I wouldn't rule out 1-2 stars. I'm a 1 star and I can serve 105 on my first. I'm only 5' 6" by the way, it's all in the legs for me. I'm ranked top 140 in NorCal also. TR stars don't have much of a say IMO.

G

TennisNinja
05-19-2010, 08:19 PM
I got gunned at Indian Wells and got 110 MPH (I'm 16 and 6'0"). My friend got 120 MPH and is a bit shorter than I am. We're both 1 stars according to TR. We were wearing jeans and using some super light granny racket and the gun was only reading like every 1/3 serves so our fastest serves weren't even being clocked.

The top guys in my section have slower serves than me, but they're more consistent, can place it better, and have more spin.

TennisandMusic
05-20-2010, 12:08 AM
I got gunned at Indian Wells and got 110 MPH (I'm 16 and 6'0"). My friend got 120 MPH and is a bit shorter than I am. We're both 1 stars according to TR. We were wearing jeans and using some super light granny racket and the gun was only reading like every 1/3 serves so our fastest serves weren't even being clocked.

The top guys in my section have slower serves than me, but they're more consistent, can place it better, and have more spin.

I saw that thing. No idea if it was accurate. I saw some fat slobs hitting whack looking stuff and getting great speed read outs.

Knightmace
05-20-2010, 01:14 AM
I've once serves 140mph before in my dreams

mrgonzo
05-23-2010, 09:15 PM
I think some of the biggest servers in the game were taller than usual. Sampras, ivanesevic, krajicek, rudsedski, roddick. I believe they are all at least 6 '2. And I think we can all agree that isner and karlovic wouldn't be top 100 without their serves. I will admit height doesn't guarantee a big serve, but it's very important. Last I heard the average top 100 tour height was 6' even. I would say the top 10 servers on the tour, without looking at stats before hand, are averaging over 6'2.

I think this thread is about the over exageration of players on these boards, but I could be wrong.

Yes, I agree height helps but I just wanted to point out a few things. First of all Sampras is 6'1." Second of all, there are some huge serving average height guys. Benjamin Becker is 5'10" and he can serve 140 mph. Davydenko (5'10") has been clocked at 135 mph. Thomas Johansson is under 6 feet and he can serve in the 140s. And Oscar Hernandez, who is also under 6 feet, has been clocked at 146 mph.

Puredrivetennis
05-23-2010, 09:25 PM
I wouldn't rule out 1-2 stars. I'm a 1 star and I can serve 105 on my first. I'm only 5' 6" by the way, it's all in the legs for me. I'm ranked top 140 in NorCal also. TR stars don't have much of a say IMO.

G

Agreed... i've seen and played them all, some bc's will be diminutive brazilians slicing it in mid 70s, and some guys who dont make the roster can bang it in 135... stars completely irrelevant

BallJam92
05-24-2010, 02:48 PM

Nice try buddy! But most of the top guys in the PNW section have bigger serves than you (110 mph). Jake Imam, Ratan Gill, Stuart Tierney, Chamerski, Hukwo, and Egger are just a few names of top guys who serve bigger than you.

TennisNinja
05-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Nice try buddy! But most of the top guys in the PNW section have bigger serves than you (110 mph). Jake Imam, Ratan Gill, Stuart Tierney, Chamerski, Hukwo, and Egger are just a few names of top guys who serve bigger than you.

My bad, talking bout 16's (though some like chamerski is still in 16's), and I can serve faster than 110.