PDA

View Full Version : Switching to natural gut, need some guidance on cross string

Blask
10-21-2009, 09:01 AM
I'm trying to switch to an arm friendlier setup. I used to battle TE so I cut back my playing hours. I want to get that back up to 4 days a week so I am switching sticks to something a little more arm friendly.

Anyhow, I figured moving to gut would be a good option as well so I'm curious what I should cross it with. I normally play with Cyberblue mains and Gosen Micro 17 crosses.

If I put VS 17 in my mains should I keep Gosen in my crosses or should I put the poly in the crosses to temper the power of the gut a little more? Gut's a bit on the expensive side for me to use a full job so I'm hoping one of the two above options will work.

scotus
10-21-2009, 10:51 AM
I'm trying to switch to an arm friendlier setup. I used to battle TE so I cut back my playing hours. I want to get that back up to 4 days a week so I am switching sticks to something a little more arm friendly.

Anyhow, I figured moving to gut would be a good option as well so I'm curious what I should cross it with. I normally play with Cyberblue mains and Gosen Micro 17 crosses.

If I put VS 17 in my mains should I keep Gosen in my crosses or should I put the poly in the crosses to temper the power of the gut a little more? Gut's a bit on the expensive side for me to use a full job so I'm hoping one of the two above options will work.

Do Gosen if you want to save money although Forten Sweet 17 would be even better.

However, if you want to go for the ultimate arm-saving setup, try the Isospeed Professional on the cross. A bit more, but still much more economical than a full-gut setup.

Blask
10-21-2009, 01:41 PM
What do you like about Isospeed Pro better than Gosen?

scotus
10-21-2009, 05:00 PM
What do you like about Isospeed Pro better than Gosen?

Much more comfort.

markwillplay
10-21-2009, 05:21 PM
is the isospeed pro less powerful than gut so that it tames the power a bit? Would you lower tension on the isospeed in crosses say 60/57, or would you keep tension the same. I am actually pretty interested in this hybrid myself after doing some research.

smack that
10-21-2009, 05:32 PM
lux alu power rough

GPB
10-21-2009, 06:06 PM
if you go with isospeed, RAISE the tension...

I did gut @ 58 and isospeed @ 60 and it was way too loose... i'm told the isospeed loses 15% (???) if its tension during the first night, and then stays constant for a long time. I don't know about those exact numbers, but I know that if you're used to a poly hybrid, switching to gut will be a big change.

Therefore, keep your poly on the crosses for the first stringjob, and if you still find it to be too harsh, move to gosen. If that's still too harsh, move to maxim touch or isospeed... but don't be afraid to string your racket a bit higher than you're used to... you'll see!

scotus
10-21-2009, 07:59 PM

I did gut @ 58 and isospeed @ 60 and it was way too loose... i'm told the isospeed loses 15% (???) if its tension during the first night, and then stays constant for a long time. I don't know about those exact numbers, but I know that if you're used to a poly hybrid, switching to gut will be a big change.

Listen to this man.

I usually tension my isospeed about 5-7 lbs higher than the gut.

dabudabuda
10-21-2009, 09:52 PM

Therefore, keep your poly on the crosses for the first stringjob, and if you still find it to be too harsh, move to gosen. If that's still too harsh, move to maxim touch or isospeed... but don't be afraid to string your racket a bit higher than you're used to... you'll see!

Listen to this man.

I usually tension my isospeed about 5-7 lbs higher than the gut.

They must be referring to the Isospeed "Classic" version. This is not recommended for the new version.

kinsella
10-21-2009, 10:16 PM
I highly recommend the Gosen 17 as a cross string. I think the Forten Sweet might be too soft. Gut is fabulous, but it is not the softest string you can find. The Gosen is a very good match.

Not to quarrel with your choice, but Signum Pure Pro Poly Plasma mains (1.18mm) and a multi cross (Bab attraction for example) is softer than a gut set up and it is impervious to moisture.

Good luck with your elbow.

fuzz nation
10-22-2009, 05:25 AM
If you honestly want to avoid any elbow issues, stay away from the poly, even in your crosses. A pal of mine runs full VS Touch 16 in his PD Roddick GT's and that string isn't so powerful that his 4.5 level strokes aren't under control. He had serious TE, but since he switched to the gut and healed up, his arm has been fine. If you insist on a hybrid, then a 17 gauge syn. gut cross would be the stiffest I'd try, at least for a round or two.

Rabbit
10-22-2009, 06:15 AM
I'm with fuzz. Since going to full gut over a year ago, I've seen no pain or fatigue whatsoever, even at 60ish pounds in a 90 square inch frame and 61 pounds in my C10s. And, Pacific Classic is a much firmer playing gut than VS.

Nellie
10-22-2009, 08:14 AM
If you want an more arm friendly set up, try gut on the mains with a soft poly, like Kirschbaum Pro Line 2 at a lower tension on the crosses.

By the way, I find that lower tension is much more important than strings/racquets when it comes to improving tennis elbow.

The_Question
10-22-2009, 08:30 AM
lux alu power rough

OP wants to switch to an arm friendly setup, and you suggested tHaT??

Casey10s
10-22-2009, 08:41 AM
I would recommend looking at a soft poly like ALU Fluoro or WeissCannon Silver String. They are both pretty pliable and are not too hard on the arm. I only notice a little harshness in the first few minutes of hitting with new strings. I use the WC because it holds tension better.

I use VS Gut 17 in the mains and WC Silverstring 17 in the crosses. I use this set-up over having Gut in the crosses because the strings seem to hold tension better. Tension for indoor play is 62# for the gut and 58# for the poly. Outdoors, I string a few pounds lighter.

As for playability, a whole gut stringbed is a little too springy for me. I don't have the feel or the control as I do on the hybrid stringbed. With the hybrid, I feel I can hit out and I have decent control. Just my opinion.

markwillplay
10-22-2009, 08:47 AM
well I just ordered some gosen micro 16 for crosses with my VS 16 and I hope that I can use it and lower the tension a bit from 60 to say 58 (gut mains) and then use the syn gut crosses at about 55 or so. They are usually not as powerful. I have heard that this is a good combo and I hope that it is.

Blask
10-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Sounds like SPPP mains might be a good fit. I have no experience with it but am willing to give it a try.

Steve Huff
10-22-2009, 12:39 PM
If you're having arm issues, I'd stay away from ANY poly. I use gut in the mains and usually Alpha Prodigy or Head Fibergel Power in the crosses. If money isn't a big issue, try some of the higher end multi's (Alpha Sphere, NRG2, Babolat XCel or NXT).