PDA

View Full Version : poly/gut hybrid question

dadozen
10-21-2009, 11:51 AM
Ok, I'm a full poly user, and I really enjoy playing with PLII 1.15mm, especially because my racquets have a tight string pattern. I have already tried poly/multi hybrid and liked it, but didn't shine.

But I'm very curious about trying a poly/gut hybrid( thinking about VS Team or VS Touch ).

Question is: I'm aware that gut holds tension and playability for a very long time. If poly goes dead way before the gut, how would the stringjob feel after 10-15hs of hard hitting?

For poly/gut users, how long do you play with this stringjob, and does the stringjob gets powerful after the poly die?

Thanks in advance:)

JT_2eighty
10-21-2009, 04:30 PM
After 10-15 hours of hard hitting with poly mains and gut crosses, depending on the poly, on your string pattern, and probably some other factors... more or less the poly will have lost a lot of tension and the gut will be holding strong. How often do you typically replace your full poly with the same string?

After the same timeframe of using gut mains and poly crosses, the gut may have already broken, will be close to breaking, etc., but the benefit is that if the gut is still alive, since the mains are the strings imparting most of the feel and playability, you won't notice the loose polys *as much* as you would notice loose poly mains. This is even more applicable to you since you have a dense string pattern like me, and what I am saying is based on my limited experience with 18x20 racquets.

This is one of the reasons I like gut mains, not to mention gut mains is way more arm friendly according to my happy elbow, as opposed to gut cross and poly mains. It is a bit less durable than poly main, but the feel and power and overall playability of gut mains is worth every dollar, plus you don't have the dilemma of having to cut out unbroken gut because of it's unplayable poly main counterpart. Now, if you break poly before it goes loose on you, then that may change your opinion of my opinion.