PDA

View Full Version : Please critique my serve!

william
10-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Any tips for technical improvement would be greatly appreciated. It's only one serve and I am really sorry that it is on it's side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScS0KD6dKrY

Cheers

Will

Djokovicfan4life
10-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Your technique looked excellent to me, at least for a 13 second video with the computer tilted sideways. :)

LeeD
10-21-2009, 01:29 PM
Yeah, looking good.
Maybe more sideways stance to get more action on the ball, instead of facing the target on the prep.
Funny back leg kicking back, but like some jump shooters, if it works, keep it. If you serve needs more pace, maybe try to implement your backfoot into forward motion instead of kicking back.

william
10-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Sorry i'm not quite sure what you mean by a more sideways stance?? I thought the leg coming up at the back was normal??

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/09/09/article-1053650-0293B04900000578-171_468x611.jpg

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2007/0909/ten_g_federer_serve_275.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2538/3745526213_50d4c60dc2.jpg

SuperDuy
10-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Nice serve!

LeeD
10-21-2009, 02:45 PM
"normal".... some jumpshooters in basketball kick their legs up.
But you KNOW, anytime you get a action BACKWARDS, you get a reaction that is not FORWARDS. Kicking the leg backwards robs you of forward momentum. That's why I say it's OK if the serve you have has pace, spin, power, depth, and placement.
The need for more sideways is BEFORE you swing the racket. Like a baseball pitcher hiding his ball, you get deception and a little more power when you turn your back to the opponent more than you are currently doing.
I won't pretend to help out a 5.5 or better player, but if someone needs more pace or more spin (do you ??), then a more sideways prep before the ball toss will give you that.

tennis_pr0
10-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Your serve mechanically is fine. Weight transfer is good, your timing is good (you get to the trophy pose and time your ball toss well), knee bend is there and your shoulder rotation and point of contact is good. When a serve is this mechanically good, I say do not change a thing. I enjoyed watching your serve.

ryangoring
10-21-2009, 06:04 PM
Everything seems to be in working order :)

wyutani
10-21-2009, 06:08 PM
dude, you know how hard it was looking at it sideways?

put a longer video. dun be lazy. that first 13 sec could be a fluke. i too hit a roddick type serve every 100 serves i try.

ReopeningWed
10-21-2009, 06:15 PM
I wish I could serve like Roddick 1 in a 100 times... :(
I dig your serve. It's a lot more solid than the other guys that ask for advice here.

maddogz32
10-21-2009, 06:38 PM
you had good motion

NamRanger
10-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Solid motion. The only thing you could do better is increase racquet speed, but that's not really "fixing" as it is "improving".

Djokovicfan4life
10-21-2009, 07:04 PM
dude, you know how hard it was looking at it sideways?

put a longer video. dun be lazy. that first 13 sec could be a fluke. i too hit a roddick type serve every 100 serves i try.

BS. Technique is no fluke, it is something engrained in your muscle memory that you can produce consistently. To imply that this is a "lucky" serve is just stupid.

Djokovicfan4life
10-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Lee, I really don't know why you're questioning the back leg kicking up. All the current top servers do this to help them stay balanced. You say that it robs you of pace, yet the fastest server in the world uses this technique. Hmmmmmmmmmm, interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T__9ZuSID4w

Ano
10-21-2009, 07:13 PM
Any tips for technical improvement would be greatly appreciated. It's only one serve and I am really sorry that it is on it's side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScS0KD6dKrY

Cheers

Will

Your technique is good.

tricky
10-21-2009, 10:14 PM
That's really solid technique.

Some ideas that you may want to try. Again, your motion is fine, so just see if these ideas work fro you.

1) To initiate your toss, let your tossing arm drop all the way down before letting it come back up. Try to have the arm slightly brush your left pocket as it comes down. This gives you a steadier toss and facilitates a longer windup for a traditional motion.

2) At about 0:03, you bring your arms together to begin your service motion. Try to bring your arms together by consciously moving your left arm under your racquet. (Currently you use your right arm to set the racquet over your left arm.) This is very subtle, but it'll tighten up your loop and give you a stronger shoulder turn.

Other than that, here's a progression of "aiming" visualizations that you help to develop the kinetic chain of your serve. Basically, you use a reference point of the body to "aim" at the ball. You start "aiming" at the ball with that reference point as soon as you initiate the toss.

3a) "Aiming" at the ball with your hips. This will increase the potential size of your windup.

3b) Then, aim at the ball with the belly button. Alternately, you can visualize that the ball is made of concrete. This will increase your leg drive and transfer more power to your shoulder. You'll notice your legs will bend more in the windup..

3c) Then, aim at the ball with your lowest ribs. Alternately, you can visualize that you're painting a vertical line up-to-down on the ball. This will increase overall heaviness of the ball and you'll notice more torso rotation in your windup.

3d) Then, aim at the ball with your highest ribs. Alternately, you can visualize that you're hitting through 3 balls in a row. This will increase your ability to hit at a higher point and flatter trajectory, and vary spin. You will notice more trunk tilt in your windup.

3e) Finally, aim at the ball with your collar bones. Alternately, you can visualize that your racquet is slapping the ball. This will increase pronation and your ability to different kinds of serves by the clock analogy. At this point, you may showing your upper back to your opponent.

LeeD
10-22-2009, 09:57 AM
Maybe everyone in the world spits on the sidewalk, doesn't mean it's a good thing.
Anytime you jerk any part of your body BACKWARDS, when you're trying to move forwards, is a BAD thing. Don't matter if Roddick, Fed, and all the pros do it, it's still a waste of energy, just like the jump shooter (in basketball), who kicks both his legs back and up while in the air. Robs him of air time, lowers is jump.
I did not tell him outright to STOP kicking backwards. I told him, if he wanted more pace and spin, to stop kicking backwards. If his serve has pace, spin, placment, and depth, keep doing it, IT'S GOOD.
Now how about the lifting front forefoot and FOOTFAULT 100% of the time !! :shock::shock::shock:

10-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Sorry i'm not quite sure what you mean by a more sideways stance?? I thought the leg coming up at the back was normal??

The leg kick is normal.

william
10-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Now how about the lifting front forefoot and FOOTFAULT 100% of the time !! :shock::shock::shock:

???????

Also I'm pretty sure that if the top pro's could improve their serve by not kicking their leg backwards they would do!

10-22-2009, 10:50 AM
???????

Also I'm pretty sure that if the top pro's could improve their serve by not kicking their leg backwards they would do!

Lee is a good guy and means well, but sometimes he lets one get by like this and forgets to say ooops.

Roger#1
10-22-2009, 02:37 PM
^^^ Yeah tell me about it. I also don't think he has played much basketball or watched any, because I was a shooting guard in highschool and college and nobody kicks their legs back when they shoot. This kid has a very nice motion and his balance is very good.

LeeD
10-22-2009, 03:48 PM
OP footfaults 100% of his serves. See his toes on the baseline.
As for the kickback in the air. I was also a 2 guard thru 3 years of high school. I had the bad habit (StephenJackson also) of kicking both my legs back after leaving the ground, robbing me of height on the jumpshot. When coach tried to get rid of this annoying habit, my shot when out the window, completely lost in the fog. After he let up, I started shooting 50% again, so bad habits sometimes need to be THERE......
Keep the kickback if it helps you. But you KNOW it robs you of height and drive.
OOOPS... :):)

volusiano
10-22-2009, 11:09 PM
OK, I just hurt my neck watching your video.:) It looks like you had somebody videotape it for you. Couldn't you tell them to hold it the normal way? This is video 101, not a photography class where you need to frame your shot or something...

Kicking you leg back is fine. It's just an automatic body reaction after the fact to keep your body balanced as you lunged forward. It's not by any means an intended action that you can control anyway. If anything, it's a good indication that you lunge forward enough with good drive. Just let it happen naturally. If you worry about it and don't let it happen, then THAT will rob you of your drive for sure.

tricky
10-22-2009, 11:39 PM
The leg kicking back is mostly a "brake" for the torque that the torso produces during a serve. If you intentionally prevented your right leg from kicking, then you'll probably be spun around.

In other words, what the right leg does will happen according to your service motion. As a result, it tells you something about your serve. If the right leg is not kicking up and almost square with the net. then there's something off about your service motion. You want to correct the motion in order to get the correct leg kick, not the other way around.

william
10-23-2009, 12:12 AM
OP footfaults 100% of his serves. See his toes on the baseline.
As for the kickback in the air. I was also a 2 guard thru 3 years of high school. I had the bad habit (StephenJackson also) of kicking both my legs back after leaving the ground, robbing me of height on the jumpshot. When coach tried to get rid of this annoying habit, my shot when out the window, completely lost in the fog. After he let up, I started shooting 50% again, so bad habits sometimes need to be THERE......
Keep the kickback if it helps you. But you KNOW it robs you of height and drive.
OOOPS... :):)

I have never come across you on these boards before, but you are coming across as a bit of an idiot to be honest. Kicking your leg back is clearly not a technical flaw. I'm not sure how you can be sure it is a foot fault from that video (as it is very close), but it is just a practice/warmup serve, it doesn't matter!

volusiano
10-23-2009, 10:50 AM
I'm not sure how you can be sure it is a foot fault from that video (as it is very close), but it is just a practice/warmup serve, it doesn't matter!

I didn't see any blatant 100% foot fault either. Yeah, the tip of the shoe is pretty close to the baseline, but if you just start out an inch back behind the baseline, nobody can nick pick on it anymore. The important thing is not to nudge that left foot forward on the serve, and you don't. So no worry.

william
10-24-2009, 02:17 AM
Thanks for all the kind comments guys, if anyone has any advice that would be great.

Will

Leelord337
10-24-2009, 07:13 AM
from the video i would say that you have good technique on how you hit the serve but you should post a better video where you can actually see the ball :P its just i have lots of friends with beautiful serve motions but terrible serves...and some with ugly motions but great serves.