PDA

View Full Version : Fischer Vacuum Pro 98 stringing instructions, recommendations

Huppe
10-21-2009, 03:24 PM
I recently bought a couple of these and was hoping someone knew the official stringing instructions, particularly if there was a two piece recommendation.

Looking at the current stringing, it is one piece with crosses strung bottom up. Given these are 15 years old and in 7/10 condition I'd rather not put any undue stress on them but want to follow the proper instructions.

If you know the proper instructions, one or two piece, or have any suggestions for string choice if you've played with these, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

jim e
10-21-2009, 05:34 PM
I recently bought a couple of these and was hoping someone knew the official stringing instructions, particularly if there was a two piece recommendation.

Looking at the current stringing, it is one piece with crosses strung bottom up. Given these are 15 years old and in 7/10 condition I'd rather not put any undue stress on them but want to follow the proper instructions.

If you know the proper instructions, one or two piece, or have any suggestions for string choice if you've played with these, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Since the mains end at the top, I have no idea how yours was strung bottom up?
The proper stringing instructions are as follows, from the USRSA digest:
Fisher Vacuum Pro 98
1 Pc length:36'
S.S.length:9'
Tension (lbs.):53-60
Pattern:16x20
Start M's: H
Main Skips:8T&8H
Tie off M's:6H
Start 1pc X:8H
Last X:8T
Tie off: 7T
(H is head of racquet, T is throat of racquet)
I know you asked for a 2 pc instruction, as only one pc is listed, so when that occurs I usually string as 1 pc, as mains end at the head anyways, you would be stringing top down with this. But if I am doing a hybrid so 2 pc is needed, I would pick a grommet hole and enlargen it with an awl, lubed with chapstick, and gently twist it in and out till the grommet is enlargened enough, as you only need to do this to one grommet.I would tie off both mains at 6H as that is the main tie off on one side anyways. You only need to enlargen one grommet at the top of racquet where you would use the starting knot(or tie off if you use a starting clamp), and then tie off the bottom cross as listed on 7T. Just a suggestion I would not use 7H as you would be tying off on 7T at bottom, and that would be on same string on the top as you have an even # of cross strings, so I would just pick a different grommet near the 8H where you start the cross strings, you can even tie off on a cross string if you have a starting clamp, as a # of racquets require this as well.
I hope this helps!! Jim

Let me know how your racquet was strung bottom up, as this is ? how someone would do that!Unless it is the vacuum plus pro, where the mains end at the throat, as that would explain it, or possibly another close name model, as I just listed the model you stated. Let me know. Jim

Huppe
10-21-2009, 06:10 PM
Jim

Thanks for the reply! I think I may have given the wrong name, maybe I should have said Fischer Vacuum Pro CLASSIC 98.

Currently the enlarged grommets are the sevenths, and given the six holes at the bottom, it is definatley strung with the mains ending at the bottom. Also, the racket says string at 56/54.

Sorry if I gave you wrong info. That said, it sounds like I could take your advice and enlarge a grommet and string two piece to avoid stringing the crosses bottom up, if you think this is preferable to stringing bottom up. I always try to follow instructions strictly, but given the age and condition and what I've read about bottom up it makes me nervous.

Thanks again!

jim e
10-21-2009, 06:25 PM
Jim

Thanks for the reply! I think I may have given the wrong name, maybe I should have said Fischer Vacuum Pro CLASSIC 98.

Currently the enlarged grommets are the sevenths, and given the six holes at the bottom, it is definatley strung with the mains ending at the bottom. Also, the racket says string at 56/54.

Sorry if I gave you wrong info. That said, it sounds like I could take your advice and enlarge a grommet and string two piece to avoid stringing the crosses bottom up, if you think this is preferable to stringing bottom up. I always try to follow instructions strictly, but given the age and condition and what I've read about bottom up it makes me nervous.

Thanks again!

Okay That now makes sense! The pattern for that one is: (From the USRSA Digest):

This one is also only listed as a one pc. as follows:
length:36'
SS length:9'
Tension:52-54 lbs.
Pattern: 16x20
Start M's:T
Main Skips:8T &8H
Tie off M's:6T
Start X:8T
Last X:8H
Tie off:7H
Special note: Short Side must use the 5 grommet hole channel at the throat.
Sometimes the USRSA get updated information that may be slightly different than what is printed on the racquet, and this is just an update.
Given these instructions, I would follow, as the USRSA gives the specified manuf. patterns exactly as described. You also can string an ATW if preferred, so you would string top down, or string as 2 pc. and string top down, and enlargen a grommet which is no big deal.
Hope this helps. Jim

Huppe
10-21-2009, 06:35 PM
Thanks so much. Sorry if I mislead the first time. That sounds right, though it seems like someone enlarged and tied off at the wrong hole originally, likely when inserting a new grommet strip.

Anyway, it's curious they say 54-52 rather than 56-54 but another pattern I saw and thought it might be the right racket matches this. I'll string at 54 to be safe.

Which would you recommend as being the safest, best course of action: following the official pattern strictly or two-piecing so I can string the crosses top down? It sounds like you suggest following the pattern strictly.

Thanks again for taking the time to look this up and typing out advice, TWICE!

It is much appreciated!

jim e
10-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Well you will not go wrong with following the manuf. instructions. Personally I like to string most racquets top down, as even popular racquets like Wilson and Babolat racquets where you can string bottom up, with no problems, and I'm sure many stringers have done with no problems at all, as they were designed for it. They also list when stringing 2 piece to string those top down as well, as it does place less stress on the racquet.
Therefore I would either utilize an ATW pattern and string as 1 pc top down, or just enlargen a grommet and string as a 2 pc.Many racquets like this you have to enlargen a grommet anyways if a hybrid is requested, and its no big deal to just lube an awl, slowly twist it in until it is in all the way, then it should accomodate the tie off for you. You only need to do this to one grommet as well so no real big deal.
You would tie off both M's at 6T.
You would tie the starting knot at 7H and 1st X is 8H,
so given this you only need to enlargen one grommet at the throat to tie off, since the last X would be 8T, I would use a different grommet and not 7T as 7H is the starting knot, as I try to avoid 2 knots on the same string, so I would just use a grommet like 9T, as it is close to the last cross.Just be sure that you enlarge the grommet on the side that you will end up on, which is the same side that you start your crosses on, as there are an even # of cross strings, or just enlargen both 9T grommets before you start, and you will be all set. Should be no problem! Good luck! BTW any more questions just ask. I will try to help as best as I can for you, as it is no problem at all. Jim