PDA

View Full Version : Soft, yet crisp-feeling co-poly

2ndserveace
10-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Since I've gotten my PDR I've loved the control, power, and spin I get with BBO. However, my arm is starting to feel some pain, and I miss that great feel the K95 had.

So, can you guys recommend a poly that is comfortable, but has a crisp feel to it? It needs to have pretty good control as well. If the string has spin and power then its a bonus as well. Any suggestions?

MarrratSafin
10-21-2009, 04:16 PM
WeissCannon Turbo Twist.

downs_chris
10-21-2009, 05:03 PM
is the turbo twist available anywhere in the US?

PROTENNIS63
10-21-2009, 05:43 PM
Genesis Spin X is what I am using now and it is a great poly. There are many strings out there so it is best to try out a few and see which you like best.

2ndserveace
10-21-2009, 05:51 PM
WeissCannon Turbo Twist.

Well, since you're apparently testing every string possible, you must know what you're talking about. How is the durability with Turbotwist?

2ndserveace
10-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Genesis Spin X is what I am using now and it is a great poly. There are many strings out there so it is best to try out a few and see which you like best.

I was considering Spin X as well. Do you think it is soft but still feels crisp?

BigT
10-21-2009, 06:48 PM
My customers really like Cyber Blue or PolyStar Energy for softer co-polys.

MarrratSafin
10-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Well, since you're apparently testing every string possible, you must know what you're talking about. How is the durability with Turbotwist?

:lol: Turbotwist is very soft and has excellent tension maintenance and spin potential. The durability is good for a 1.18mm, I mean you can't expect it to be more durable than say a 1.25 or 1.30 poly. It is now available in 1.24mm also, which provides better durability of course.

MarrratSafin
10-21-2009, 07:00 PM

Cyberblue is good in most categories but if the OP is looking for a crisp string then it's probably not for him.. it feels too mushy for me.

diredesire
10-22-2009, 12:39 AM

Agree with the above poster, I like both strings, but neither qualify as really "crisp."

I'd try Gosen Polylon SP. The value is pretty good in a reel, too ;)

BigT
10-22-2009, 05:23 AM
Agree with the above poster, I like both strings, but neither qualify as really "crisp."

I'd try Gosen Polylon SP. The value is pretty good in a reel, too ;)

Great thing about these is that they work well at higher tensions, 60+.Then they deliver crisp, controlled power.
Polylon SP lost tension way too fast for me.

nickarnold2000
10-22-2009, 06:27 AM
Hey, would you say that Spin X is in the middle of the pack for poly softness?

Cup8489
10-22-2009, 08:18 AM
Cyberblue is good in most categories but if the OP is looking for a crisp string then it's probably not for him.. it feels too mushy for me.

soft and crisp are two contradictory statements, though. soft implies a mushier feels, good for the arm, where crisp generally means a stiffer, more responsive feel.

can't have both, IMO

SPPP is not bad for a softer co-poly though, and plays very well.

plus, i bet it would look sweet in a PD.

String|Guru
10-22-2009, 08:35 AM
I have really liked playing with Volkl Cyclone 18. I wasn't sure about using a string by Volkl, but I have to say I am impressed!

PROTENNIS63
10-22-2009, 10:39 AM
I was considering Spin X as well. Do you think it is soft but still feels crisp?

Yes it is a pretty soft poly. Definitely crisper than the Big Ace 1.25 I used to use.

PROTENNIS63
10-22-2009, 10:40 AM
Hey, would you say that Spin X is in the middle of the pack for poly softness?

Spin X is softer than strings like Red Code, ALU Power. It feels around just as soft as Cyber Blue so if you have played with that string it is more or less the same in softness.

stanfordtennis alum
10-22-2009, 02:28 PM
i would say genesis spin x and topspin cyber flash

2ndserveace
10-22-2009, 02:34 PM

Yeah Cyber Blue is a little too mushy for me. Marrrat I also have another question about Turbotwist. If you've ever tried Luxilon, then how does Turbotwist compare to it in regards to control?

2ndserveace
10-22-2009, 02:46 PM
i would say genesis spin x and topspin cyber flash

Have you ever tried Alu? If so, then I know that Cyber Flash is considered to be pretty close to Alu in regards to performance, but can you confirm exactly how close?

ryangoring
10-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Signum Hyperion.

liftlobby2
10-22-2009, 10:37 PM
go for co-polys. on the softer end of polys. else you can hybrid your poly with a softer string. should do the job as well.

MarrratSafin
10-23-2009, 01:33 AM
Yeah Cyber Blue is a little too mushy for me. Marrrat I also have another question about Turbotwist. If you've ever tried Luxilon, then how does Turbotwist compare to it in regards to control?

Which Luxilon are you referring to? Alu Power and Rough are 2 strings that I feel give me the best control of all, incredibly the faster I swing the more control I seem to get out of it. With Turbotwist I get better spin, but the softer co-poly doesn't have the level of control that the stiffer nature of Alu produces.

Casco
10-23-2009, 03:44 AM
WeissCannon Turbo Twist.

Casco
10-23-2009, 03:48 AM
WeissCannon Turbo Twist

dadozen
10-23-2009, 04:38 AM
Althought soft and crispy are contraditory, I can understand what the OP means.

I once tried BAM and really liked it, very soft and comfortable for a poly. Decided to buy two reels, since the price was very good.

Though I tried Kirschbaum PLII soon after, and it plays very similar to BAM, yet has a crisper feeling, which I liked a lot. Both are very comfortable, very soft( for a poly range ), yet PLII had a tad more bite and cripsness, offering a bit more control. BAM is a tad softer and offers a little more power as well.

Decided to saty with PLII and sold my two BAM reels. One was intact.

Cheers,

2ndserveace
10-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Althought soft and crispy are contraditory, I can understand what the OP means.

I once tried BAM and really liked it, very soft and comfortable for a poly. Decided to buy two reels, since the price was very good.

Though I tried Kirschbaum PLII soon after, and it plays very similar to BAM, yet has a crisper feeling, which I liked a lot. Both are very comfortable, very soft( for a poly range ), yet PLII had a tad more bite and cripsness, offering a bit more control. BAM is a tad softer and offers a little more power as well.

Decided to saty with PLII and sold my two BAM reels. One was intact.

Cheers,

I would use BAM, but I doubt it would last very long. PLII sounds like its right up my alley.

2ndserveace
10-23-2009, 02:37 PM
So there seems to be no argument about the following:

Cyberflash- 1 vote
Turbotwist- 2 (or 3?) votes
Spin X- 2 votes
Cyclone- 1 vote
Hyperion- 1 vote
PLII- 1 vote

I'm also making a poll

Giant Baba
10-23-2009, 02:41 PM
The Cyber Blue polyester string is so nice soft feeling to my arm and nice spinning plus control when freshly done. Is not having super powers but is very much powerful for this kind and type of string. Is one of my favorite but ball flies crazy long when tension falls away.

ClubHoUno
10-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Signum Pro Hyperion - not as spinny as Signum Pro Tornado, but more crisp than the Tornado and very powerful for a CoPoly string.

2ndserveace
10-25-2009, 08:25 AM
Anyone else have any suggestions?

GameSetMatch
07-27-2010, 02:50 PM
WeissCannon Turbo Twist.

Nope.

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/images/board_photos/stringcompare2.jpg

Centered
07-27-2010, 06:14 PM
Soft and stiff ("crisp") are opposites.

The closest you can come is to string a soft string tightly.

MarrratSafin
07-27-2010, 06:33 PM
Nope.

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/images/board_photos/stringcompare2.jpg

We're talking about Turbotwist 1.18. Btw lab tests can be ignored most of the time. Have a look at the USRSA string lab tests and you will understand why it's inaccurate.:wink: My advice is, do some tests yourself.

OldButGame
07-28-2010, 07:30 PM
soft and crisp are two contradictory statements, though. soft implies a mushier feels, good for the arm, where crisp generally means a stiffer, more responsive feel.

can't have both, IMO

SPPP is not bad for a softer co-poly though, and plays very well.

plus, i bet it would look sweet in a PD.
I'd have to agree with this,....many of the strings mentioned are great strings in their own respects,.....but to be both 'soft' and 'crisp' at the same time seems kinda like a contradiction to me,....