PDA

View Full Version : Two fisted backhand by the pros?

topseed
10-21-2009, 03:57 PM
I noticed that most pros (mens) are using double fisted backhand. Unlike during the time of becker, lendl, edberg... the single fist backhands are common. Does the two fisted give you more power and control? What is the reason why it is common? Thanks

CatLasagna
10-21-2009, 04:03 PM
**crickets**

David L
10-21-2009, 04:18 PM
I noticed that most pros (mens) are using double fisted backhand. Unlike during the time of becker, lendl, edberg... the single fist backhands are common. Does the two fisted give you more power and control? What is the reason why it is common? Thanks
It's easier to learn as a child. Most kids are too weak to develop a single-handed backhand that is not a liability in competition and a weak shot. The double-hander then becomes the preferred option because it provides more stability and control.

ubermeyer
10-21-2009, 05:49 PM
what is a 2 fisted backhand? this is a serious question... do you mean 2 handed? i will assume you do.

Most PLAYERS nowadays use 2 handed. Though the 1 handed has more reach, more potential power (though this potential is rarely reached) and more potential angles and it is easier to switch to the slice, the 2 handed is infinitely EASIER to generate power, more controlled, more stable, more accurate, and...you get the picture

JeMar
10-21-2009, 05:58 PM
It takes more talent to hit a good one-handed backhand.

Oh yeah. I went there.

Winners or Errors
10-21-2009, 06:11 PM
Keep in mind, you're asking for a religious or political style argument. All you'll get is a bunch of two-handed backhand fans and one-handed fans saying their way is the best.

I like one-handed backhands, but certainly see a lot in the backhands of guys like Agassi and Connors to like... My favorite backhands were those of Vilas, Becker, Lendl, Edberg, and (yes) McEnroe. Oh, and Guga.

By the way, I can't think of a single guy in today's current crop who does anything inspiring on the backhand side.

wyutani
10-21-2009, 06:12 PM
a video would be nice. or a pic. two fisted?

ubermeyer
10-21-2009, 06:22 PM
Keep in mind, you're asking for a religious or political style argument. All you'll get is a bunch of two-handed backhand fans and one-handed fans saying their way is the best.

I like one-handed backhands, but certainly see a lot in the backhands of guys like Agassi and Connors to like... My favorite backhands were those of Vilas, Becker, Lendl, Edberg, and (yes) McEnroe. Oh, and Guga.

By the way, I can't think of a single guy in today's current crop who does anything inspiring on the backhand side.

never watched Gasquet I see. Or Nalbandian

tennis_hand
10-21-2009, 06:23 PM

have you been living a caves and start to ask this question in 2009?

Ultra2HolyGrail
10-21-2009, 10:57 PM
It takes more talent to hit a good one-handed backhand.

Oh yeah. I went there.

It takes talent to have a great one hander. But i would wager many two handers can hit a one hander better than a one hander can hit a two hander. Anyways, besides federer, there will never be a one hander to win a GS again, ever :)

CatLasagna
10-21-2009, 11:17 PM
Why are people seriously answering this question? Its like when you go on a grand slam website, and dumbasses ask questions in the shout out section such as "What time is Federer playing?" "What racquet does Safina use?" What's sadder is they actually expect a reply. If you keep answering, other people will come back with posts "I have noticed that most pros (mens) are playing on the bassline. Unlike during the time of becker, lendl, edberg... more players serve and volleyed. Does playing on the bassline make it easier to win? What is the reason why this is common now? Thanks."

paulorenzo
10-22-2009, 12:04 AM
two fisted was a common term back in the day.