PDA

View Full Version : String Natural Gut.. How for the best experience?

meowmix
10-21-2009, 07:42 PM
I am getting through a string trade a half set of Wilson natural gut and 1 set of Global (black). I'm planning on using the Wilson in the mains, and I would like some opinions on what to use for the crosses.

Now, I string on an alpha string pal, which is a 2 pt, floating clamped dropweight machine. I will probably string the mains at 54, but I'm not sure. My last job of synthetic gut (dunlop synthetic gut) was strung at 52/53, and that's a little too firm. I know that gut is a lot softer, so I would wonder how I should string the gut.

I don't really break strings, and for the past two years, I've always cut my strings out. Before that, I broke synthetic gut once every 4,5,6 months, playing about 3 hours a week. Now, I'm playing about 4 hours or so a week, but with winter coming up, that'll go down to about 2 hours every other week. Since natural gut can last so long and remain durable so long, I'd like for my job to stay good until my season begins in March.

Now, I have these following strings I can use as a cross. Please advise, keeping in mind that I would like to keep the strings in the racquet for about 5-6 months (and I will not break the strings during that time period).

Possible options (aka, I have these available):
MSV Focus Hex 1.18
Toalson Kevlar 1.10
E-Force Fluid 1.10
Polyon Ice 17
Gosen Tecgut 17
Forten nylon 16
Global gut 16

Ookie Cookie
10-21-2009, 07:48 PM
hex, it is GREAT

meowmix
10-21-2009, 08:05 PM
^Do you think Hex would stay fresh for that long? I've never used it before, but I've read that its tension maintance is pretty good (but for a poly).