PDA

View Full Version : I Need to know how to fix these mistakes

Roy125
10-21-2009, 06:45 PM
I had a horrid practice day today. I got beaten by a 12 year old girl twice.:cry:

Well, here are some of my problems that I need help with which you can hopefully provide advice.

I overexaggerate my slices a lot. I'm great at making drop shots or slice overheads, but I can't make my slice go in a kind of straight line.

On my kick serve, I overexaggerate a lot on it too. I put so much spin on it that it just goes into the net.

My 2Hbackhand grip is my non-dominant hand is in the semi western grip and my dominant hand is the the eastern grip. I just tried this grip out and want to know the pros and cons of it.

Please help me because I have a tournament coming up soon.

Roy125
10-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Bump for help.

xFullCourtTenniSx
10-21-2009, 07:45 PM
I had a horrid practice day today. I got beaten by a 12 year old girl twice.:cry:

Well, here are some of my problems that I need help with which you can hopefully provide advice.

I overexaggerate my slices a lot. I'm great at making drop shots or slice overheads, but I can't make my slice go in a kind of straight line.

On my kick serve, I overexaggerate a lot on it too. I put so much spin on it that it just goes into the net.

My 2Hbackhand grip is my non-dominant hand is in the semi western grip and my dominant hand is the the eastern grip. I just tried this grip out and want to know the pros and cons of it.

Geez... First, learn to knife through a slice... Hit it like a flat shot, but with a little high to low motion. It's the exact same concept as hitting a topspin drive.

Next, aim higher for your kick serve... Problem solved. I doubt you really put that much spin on it. You're either aiming too low, or you're dropping your head/body and that sends everything short. Try holding your tossing arm up an extra split second and reach up to the toss with it. Then when you swing up on the kicker, reach up as high as you can and keep going up! Aim 5 feet over the net!

And... There are some 12 year old girls that are actually pretty good... You do realize that right? I've hit with a girl who won a national tournament at the 12 and under division... She was pretty good. She didn't hit that hard (yet) but she hit with a lot of spin, and was very consistent. All her strokes were very solid. The only thing missing was power and athleticism which she'll develop more of as she grows up.

Falloutjr
10-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Right do you realize Melanie Oudin was dominating in the U.S. Open and she's 17? There are girls that have been in WTA tournaments and the likes at 15! Girls just develop into amazing athletes at younger ages than guys so don't sweat it. I'm sure there are 12 year old girls in the world today that could bagel me maybe once or twice in 10 matches it happens.

Roy125
10-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Geez... First, learn to knife through a slice... Hit it like a flat shot, but with a little high to low motion. It's the exact same concept as hitting a topspin drive.

Next, aim higher for your kick serve... Problem solved. I doubt you really put that much spin on it. You're either aiming too low, or you're dropping your head/body and that sends everything short. Try holding your tossing arm up an extra split second and reach up to the toss with it. Then when you swing up on the kicker, reach up as high as you can and keep going up! Aim 5 feet over the net!

And... There are some 12 year old girls that are actually pretty good... You do realize that right? I've hit with a girl who won a national tournament at the 12 and under division... She was pretty good. She didn't hit that hard (yet) but she hit with a lot of spin, and was very consistent. All her strokes were very solid. The only thing missing was power and athleticism which she'll develop more of as she grows up.

Thanks for the help. Whenever I try to knife through a ball, my coach says I'm driving through it though instead of brushing on it. I'll try the advice on the kick serve the next time I get to practice. And that girl was around 4'11 though and she was more of a pusher.

xFullCourtTenniSx
10-21-2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the help. Whenever I try to knife through a ball, my coach says I'm driving through it though instead of brushing on it. I'll try the advice on the kick serve the next time I get to practice. And that girl was around 4'11 though and she was more of a pusher.

What the fudge is your coach smoking?! :shock: Brushing a slice?! He crazy!

And mine was probably closer to 4'6". She wasn't exactly a pusher... But she didn't exactly miss too many shots either...

Roy125
10-21-2009, 08:30 PM
What the fudge is your coach smoking?! :shock: Brushing a slice?! He crazy!

I don't know the term for what you do on a slice.:-?

zeratul90
10-21-2009, 08:45 PM

I use the exact same 2hbh grip as you do. Frankly, the only thing i see as a con is super low slices where i really have to really bend my knees to hit a 2hbh, granted i'm decently tall (5'9), so bending anywhere so that it looks like i'm trying to touch the ground with my right knee is a huge pain. But normally i would just drive slice it back, if it was really that low. However, huge topspin and flattening the ball out is no problem whatsoever. I can play 5-7 feet behind the baseline (which i normally do) and hit huge topspin off my bh wing and have it land in no man's land without any problems. Or, when going for a winner, flatten the ball out and crush it crosscourt.

Roy125
10-21-2009, 08:51 PM
I use the exact same 2hbh grip as you do. Frankly, the only thing i see as a con is super low slices where i really have to really bend my knees to hit a 2hbh, granted i'm decently tall (5'9), so bending anywhere so that it looks like i'm trying to touch the ground with my right knee is a huge pain. But normally i would just drive slice it back, if it was really that low. However, huge topspin and flattening the ball out is no problem whatsoever. I can play 5-7 feet behind the baseline (which i normally do) and hit huge topspin off my bh wing and have it land in no man's land without any problems. Or, when going for a winner, flatten the ball out and crush it crosscourt.

I'm glad that there was someone that commented on the grip thing. My backhand side is my weaker side. I overpower the shot too much and it turns into a semi-lob that goes right to the fence. I don't know how to flatten the shot either. I just use the low to high motion.

Noveson
10-21-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm glad that there was someone that commented on the grip thing. My backhand side is my weaker side. I overpower the shot too much and it turns into a semi-lob that goes right to the fence. I don't know how to flatten the shot either. I just use the low to high motion.

Quit saying you overpower things. You don't. If you are swinging low to hi and it's hitting the fence you're either opening your racquet face so it's like this \, or you are catching the ball too late and not getting enough spin. A video would help

Blake0
10-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Heres a good slice thread. http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=294483
On your kick serve, i doubt you're brushing up on the ball too much. Try to hit through the ball, or aim higher..good luck on your tournament.

Roy125
10-22-2009, 05:18 PM
Quit saying you overpower things. You don't. If you are swinging low to hi and it's hitting the fence you're either opening your racquet face so it's like this \, or you are catching the ball too late and not getting enough spin. A video would help

I consider that overpowering. Isn't it true that when you want to use topspin on your forehand, you have to hit it later than when you hit a flat shot?

Blake0
10-22-2009, 05:26 PM
I consider that overpowering. Isn't it true that when you want to use topspin on your forehand, you have to hit it later than when you hit a flat shot?

Uhh,no not really..hitting balls late = bad. Hitting balls late on purpose = VERY bad.
Sure you can hit topspin hitting late, but thats not the ideal way to hit, you lose power.
Overpowering is when you swing too fast, so fast that you can't control your shot.

What the other poster said about your racket head tilting up and stuff, thats considered a bad habit or incorrect technique.

Roy125
10-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Uhh,no not really..hitting balls late = bad. Hitting balls late on purpose = VERY bad.
Sure you can hit topspin hitting late, but thats not the ideal way to hit, you lose power.
Overpowering is when you swing too fast, so fast that you can't control your shot.

What the other poster said about your racket head tilting up and stuff, thats considered a bad habit or incorrect technique.

So hitting the ball close to the body means that you have a weak shot?:shock:
And yes, I think that I actually do overpower my shots more times than I need to.:neutral:

xFullCourtTenniSx
10-23-2009, 12:27 AM

More or less I agree with this. It's basically overswinging and not putting as much spin on the shot as you should. Muscling it too much might also be a valid interpretation.

And yes, I think that I actually do overpower my shots more times than I need to.:neutral:

Different people have different preferences in where they hit the ball, but once you've found that spot, hitting closer to the body relative to that position will result in a far weaker shot with significant loss in control.

That's not overpowering... That's lack/loss of racket head control. The racket of the serious player is like the sword of a great samurai. If the sword does not move and respond exactly how the samurai wants it to, it's useless to the samurai (and/or the the samurai lacks the skills to wield that weapon).

If you can't handle your racket and control every little thing, then something's wrong with you or the racket. It's usually that the user lacks the skill to control that racket.

Am I saying switch rackets? No... Just learn to tame your weapon of choice and bend it to your will. Of course, if you're using a racket meant for those above your level... Might want to go to something a little more user friendly. :)

Roy125
10-23-2009, 02:38 PM
More or less I agree with this. It's basically overswinging and not putting as much spin on the shot as you should. Muscling it too much might also be a valid interpretation.

Different people have different preferences in where they hit the ball, but once you've found that spot, hitting closer to the body relative to that position will result in a far weaker shot with significant loss in control.

That's not overpowering... That's lack/loss of racket head control. The racket of the serious player is like the sword of a great samurai. If the sword does not move and respond exactly how the samurai wants it to, it's useless to the samurai (and/or the the samurai lacks the skills to wield that weapon).

If you can't handle your racket and control every little thing, then something's wrong with you or the racket. It's usually that the user lacks the skill to control that racket.

Am I saying switch rackets? No... Just learn to tame your weapon of choice and bend it to your will. Of course, if you're using a racket meant for those above your level... Might want to go to something a little more user friendly. :)

Does that mean that people with semi-western grips who hit closer to their body hit weaker shots compared to those that hit with eastern grips that hit farther in front? If that's the case then I should just never consider going semi-western.

And now that you mention it, do you know the contact point for a 2H backhand with an eastern grip on my left hand and a continental grip on my forehand?:confused: A lot of balls that I hit on that side go out and I think that I'm not meeting the ball correctly.

Blake0
10-23-2009, 08:27 PM

Not necessarily a weak shot, you can pull off a strong/effective shot if you have good athleticism, but you could get MORE power/spin if you hit the ball out in front of you.

xFullCourtTenniSx
10-23-2009, 09:59 PM
Does that mean that people with semi-western grips who hit closer to their body hit weaker shots compared to those that hit with eastern grips that hit farther in front? If that's the case then I should just never consider going semi-western.

And now that you mention it, do you know the contact point for a 2H backhand with an eastern grip on my left hand and a continental grip on my forehand?:confused: A lot of balls that I hit on that side go out and I think that I'm not meeting the ball correctly.

Actually... Generally the contact point for an eastern forehand is farther back than a western forehand, and the contact point will be lower too.

Just take your racket, and hold it out so that the face is perpendicular to the floor. That is generally where your contact point should be.

Roy125
10-24-2009, 07:21 AM
Actually... Generally the contact point for an eastern forehand is farther back than a western forehand, and the contact point will be lower too.

Just take your racket, and hold it out so that the face is perpendicular to the floor. That is generally where your contact point should be.

Contact point for eastern forehand is farther back than semi-western?:shock:
So many of the articles that I read were wrong then.