PDA

View Full Version : Are adult camps worth it?

Craig Sheppard
04-13-2005, 08:58 PM
Has anyone here been to an adult tennis camp? Do you think it was worth it for your game? I'm sure they're worth it from a vacation point of view, but in a few days, were you able to take your game up a notch? I like the idea of a camp, where a pro might get to see you for an extended period of time... trying to get some real opinions though. Oh, and what level are you and where did you go? Thanks.

tennisphotog
04-14-2005, 07:25 AM
Craig,
I see you are a 4.5 player (like me) and a Fischer Pro #1 guy (like me), and I find that though most camps are fun to attend, my wife who is a 3.5 gets more out of it. It seems difficult to find a large group of 4.5 or 5.0 players who actually attend these camps. If you want to get a lot out of it, do your homework and find out if they regularly coach players of this higher level and that you will be working out with similar-level players, not hitting with 3.5's or 4.0's I find most camps cater to the 3.0-4.0 level players. Good luck, let me know how you do.

Kevin

Joe Average
04-14-2005, 09:41 AM
It depends on the individual. I go to the Nike camp in Amherst, Massachusetts every summer for a week (I used to live there, so I love visiting the area). I'm a 4.0, when I'm healthy, which hasn't been the case recently. I enjoy it simply because it's an indulgence. Four days of tennis starting at 7:30 a.m. and continuing 'til about 7:30 p.m. (with breaks and including round robin doubles). For an adult with family and job, who gets to play tennis, at best, two times a week, this is a real treat. As a 4.5, you probably won't learn anything that's going to change your game. But you might pick up a tip that you can take home and work on (more spin on your serve, for instance). Will it be cost effective? Probably not. You can take the same money and buy fifteen private lessons. That will change your game. But for the joy of playing without daily concerns ... it's worth it, for me. It's camp. Dorm living, cafeteria food (I enjoyed college), and lots of tennis.

As I said, it depends on the individual. I've run into disgruntled guys who've decided they were the best at the camp, and didn't have any competition (one such guy got whupped by one of the pros 7-5, after he was spotted five games). So it wasn't worth it for them. But then there were guys who really were among the best in the camp who have a good time and come back year after year. It's the indulgence thing.

Geezer Guy
04-14-2005, 01:57 PM
I've been to several adult tennis camps, and enjoyed them very much. I'm a 3.5, so I'm sure I'd get more out of it than someone who's a 4.5. I've been to several camps along the South Carolina seaboard, but my favorite camp is the John Newcombe Tennis Ranch in Texas. The tennis instruction was great, the food was very good, and the lodging was just fine (but certainly not luxurious). I'm sure Newk's offers the most for the money - especially if you're after lots of balls-to-the-walls tennis. I know I learned more there than anywhere else. If you want ocean-front views and fancy restaurants and other forms of entertainment for the family while you crush balls, you might be better off at a fancier "resort". Both Austin and San Antonio are nearby, but each is about a 45 minute drive.

Check out TennisResortsOnline.com for info about lots of different places.

NoBadMojo
04-14-2005, 04:02 PM
Hi Craig, my opinion of the 'adult camps' is that you're essentially throwing the dice if you are a better player like yourself......you may be the best player in the group and the 3.5's and such will benefit more from you being in the group then you will by having them there..it's nobody's fault. I think your money would be better spent w. a local pro...a private here and there is good and i usually would do a drill/lesson clinic for small groups of people evenly matched once a week running for a few weeks (those are reasonably priced and people seemed to like them as well as improve)..that combo may cost you the same as going away to a camp and you aslo have a local pro who knows your game..

Z-Man
04-14-2005, 07:22 PM
Craig:
At 4.5, you will need very specific instruction to improve. I don't know about camps, but playing and drilling with 4.0+ players is more fun for me. I see you're in NC, so Hilton Head isn't far away. Van der Meer has "Advanced Drills" during the week at Shipyard on clay in the morning and at the Van der Meer Tennis Center on hard courts in the afternoons. It's about 2 hours, and they do a decent job of keeping it 4.0+. Usually there will be some weaker 4.0s, but if you get lucky there will be some 4.5s, and I've seen 5.0 men and women out there. They also have weekend camps, but I don't know what kind of players are there. The Advanced drills are fun and good for sharpening your game, and they also provide some instruction.

I drilled every day for a week once right before a state tournament, and I think it raised the level of my game. The Sea Pines Tennis Center at Harbor Town also has solid pros and great drills.

matchpoints
04-14-2005, 10:05 PM
I've been to several adult tennis camps, and enjoyed them very much. I'm a 3.5, so I'm sure I'd get more out of it than someone who's a 4.5. I've been to several camps along the South Carolina seaboard, but my favorite camp is the John Newcombe Tennis Ranch in Texas. The tennis instruction was great, the food was very good, and the lodging was just fine (but certainly not luxurious). I'm sure Newk's offers the most for the money - especially if you're after lots of balls-to-the-walls tennis. I know I learned more there than anywhere else. If you want ocean-front views and fancy restaurants and other forms of entertainment for the family while you crush balls, you might be better off at a fancier "resort". Both Austin and San Antonio are nearby, but each is about a 45 minute drive.

Check out TennisResortsOnline.com for info about lots of different places.

Geezer Guy~ This is not a Bloody Country Club! (btw, i'm still trying to figure out who you are)

Craig Sheppard~

Cliff Notes: YES! Go check one out!

Long version: If I was a 4.5, I'd call ahead to all the places and ask what the guest list is like (during the dates you plan to attend). Not discriminating, but the average females playing level is usually .5 to 1 level below the average mens that go to adult camps here in TX. So if you're looking to improve tennis and only tennis, then you probably wouldn't want 40 women and 5 men during that week/weekend.That's pretty much the best advice I can give from my past experiences.

Regarding improvements, it really depends on your game. Some people make very simple easy to correct mistakes. For them, they see pretty big differences in their game when they go home. Others might have 20 years of practicing an incorrect form and to change it would take a whole lot longer then a week much less a weekend. For them, advice/suggestions are given, and it's for them to go home and practice to make the change (over weeks, or months). Hence, they wouldn't see much improvement as they leave the camp site.

I think If I were a 4.5, I'd go to an adult camp simply to get different opinions from different pros then back home. The same reason sometimes we like to get more opinions from different doctors to see what'll work best for you. Of course you're going to have to make that decision, but without options, one would never know what else to try (to fix the problem). The same reason why we're here on these boards.

Cheers.

Marius_Hancu
04-15-2005, 05:10 AM
I think your money would be better spent w. a local pro

At this level, I think so too.

You need someone with a very sharp eye though.

Ask around other players or see from whom are they getting coaching.

Check places where there's good competition at that level.

cak
04-15-2005, 01:59 PM
My husband and I went to Gardiners last year. It was great fun. I had a winning record after camp and got bumped to 3.5. My husband who didn't do very well in adult went undefeated in Mixed. The only of our camp buddies on the Tennislink web site also improve his win/loss record after camp. However, the best student there was a 4.0, and he'd spend afternoon hitting one on one with the pros while we were still in group lessons.

GRANITECHIEF
04-25-2005, 02:20 PM
Saddlebrook was awesome. I'm a 5.0 and i picked up some good technique improvments. Really good competition too. I was in the top group of 4 with Randy Brooke. He was the best.

Costagirl
03-29-2013, 06:50 AM
Great question and really spot on responses.

I wish I was around for this post when it was posted but it is still relevant for sure. Adult tennis camps are a great idea for fun, sun and yada yada yee! But for adults 4.5+ it can pose a challenge to find this level. Here in the US camps like Newcombe's and Saddlebrook have been around long enough to draw that high level crowd in numbers. In other instances, it would be great to travel with your own group of players (ie. a USTA league) for purposeful trips. One person mentioned using the money for privates with a pro with a great eye! Again good option. You can get a lot accomplished this way. Team travel is great again for high levels. For levels of 2.5 - 4.0 adult camps are great. Whether team travel or individual sign-up. If personal instruction is what you need for technical or tactical training find a small ratio on court with a really good pro who gives a **** about your progress. Many just go through the motions. Give this a read. You might find it interesting.

http://www.costa-del-tennis.com/summer-tennis-camps/

hittman10
03-29-2013, 06:49 PM
Costagirl, right on the money yet again! Anyway, for a higher level adult, the comments are all pretty much right on. I hear good things about Newks, good tennis, fun, drinking, etc.. As I trained as a Hoppmans junior, i'm partial to Saddlebrook so far and i'm also a native of the TB area.
I really want to go to spain though and Costagirl just fuels my fire for it!

Costagirl
03-31-2013, 07:13 AM
Hittman10 thank you for being so kind to me on this forum site. I have to say, you are wildly refreshing.

My Best to you this fine Sunday morning :)

sovertennis
04-01-2013, 06:51 AM
I've been on both sides of the net, so to speak, on this question, ie as an advanced player and as an instructor. All the comments here are on the money. My suggestion would be to pick a camp (avoid resorts) that seems suitable, then recruit a 4.5 friend to go with you. Request to be placed in the same group (typically 4 people). You'll be able to hit/drill with each other; if the other two players are a level below you, the instuctor can make drills and games competitive for all of you. Plus, you get a weekend away, you'll meet some new people, eat good food and have a few beers. Don't overlook the camraderie aspect of a tennis camp.