PDA

View Full Version : will federer skip the tour finals?

8pNADAL
10-21-2009, 10:37 PM
martin rogers things so http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/blog/busted_racquet/post/Power-rankings-Federer-resting-remains-No-1;_ylt=AjzMvDYziN9TtqSmQyZhTrE4v7YF?urn=ten,197471

However, rumors out of Switzerland have suggested that Federer is considering keeping a low profile until January in order to be fully fresh and ready for 2010.

It would be a controversial move if Federer decided to skip the Tour finals, and one that would likely bring sanctions from the ATP unless he could prove he was injured. Rafael Nadal, then atop the rankings, pulled out last year.

Federer's year has been outstanding but it is understood he has made regaining the Australian Open crown his first priority for next year.

stanley
10-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Federer will probably skip the tour finals. Heck, he might even skip AO to be fresh and ready to defend his FO title.

prattle128
10-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Federer will probably skip the tour finals. Heck, he might even skip AO to be fresh and ready to defend his FO title.

that is the most ******** thing i've ever read

tudwell
10-21-2009, 11:00 PM
No way. That's one of Federer's best tournaments and he can't afford to give up those points and let Nadal gain more ground on the number one ranking.

flying24
10-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Martin Rogers is an attitude. Federer will be playing Basel, I gaurantee it.

CatLasagna
10-21-2009, 11:20 PM
Next to the guy asking why are there more 'double-fisted' backhands, this is one of the silliest threads. Stop with the "I need an excuse to start a thread" threads.

8pNADAL
10-21-2009, 11:31 PM
i wasnt going to start a thread until i saw the article (on the front page of yahoo tennis) plus skipping the tour finals is a big deal worth a thread , stop being offensive you give lasagna a bad name and its my favorite food , cats are stupid animals howevr

Carsomyr
10-21-2009, 11:32 PM
i wasnt going to start a thread until i saw the article plus skipping the tour finals is a big deal worth a thread , stop being offensive you give lasagna a bad name and its my favorite food , cats are stupid animals howevr

:confused:

CatLasagna
10-21-2009, 11:36 PM
Thank you 8pNadal I was unaware. (zips mouth). Sorry, all the pent up anger at other stupid threads. Its easy to get on a roll and be an idiot.

8pNADAL
10-21-2009, 11:38 PM
^thanks for being my friend lasagna

CatLasagna
10-21-2009, 11:51 PM
^thanks for being my friend lasagna

Im slowly learning. I cant see Federer skipping the Tour Finals, hes only playing two more tournaments right? (Basel and London EOY) Then he has a two and a half month time-off period till January. The top 8 players are obligated to play the end of year final, unless they're injured, and I wouldn't think Federer is the kind of guy to not play tournaments that significant.

vive le beau jeu !
10-22-2009, 12:05 AM
hopefuly he will play ! :neutral:
he already has the slam record... he should now try to equal lendl and sampras with their 5 masters cups.

sdont
10-22-2009, 12:09 AM
Very unlikely. On the contrary, I think he skipped Shanghai to be fresh for the YEC. He learned his lesson last year: he wasn't fresh enough, lost to Murray and didn't pass the RR stage.

kOaMaster
10-22-2009, 04:19 AM
Federer will for sure play Basel if it's just somehow possible.

the tour finals...I'm not sure. We'll see how he does in Basel/Paris. I can rather see him skipping Paris than the finals.

tennis_hand
10-22-2009, 04:54 AM
troll thread.

Sartorius
10-22-2009, 05:22 AM
"Rumors out of Switzerland..."

Looks and sounds unreliable.

sureshs
10-22-2009, 05:55 AM
Fed is taking time off to get used to his new BLX racquet.

Sartorius
10-22-2009, 06:24 AM
Apparently yesterday an article from the Swiss newspaper Blick wrote that Federer spent some time at Dubai with Luthi and Paganini to get in some practice for the rest of the season.

Sounds more reliable to me.

kOaMaster
10-22-2009, 06:29 AM
Apparently yesterday an article from the Swiss newspaper Blick wrote that Federer spent some time at Dubai with Luthi and Paganini to get in some practice for the rest of the season.

Sounds more reliable to me.

well, blick = tabloid with colorful pictures and luridness stories...

but I again do not think that federer just wants to rest until january. that's not him.

mental midget
10-22-2009, 06:48 AM
if it was in china again, i'd give that rumor more credence. london is a city he loves, it's close to home, and the tournament is a pretty big deal--my guess is he plays if he's fit.

sureshs
10-22-2009, 06:51 AM
He is afraid of losing to Nadal, which will result in subtraction of two Slams. He is waiting for a fresh start next year when people will forget that he won the Slams without facing Nadal.

Cyan
10-22-2009, 07:15 AM
Heck, he might even skip AO to be fresh and ready to defend his FO title.

Not happening. No player has ever reached 5 FO finals in a row, yet another curse :rolleyes:. Rogi is not defending FO in 2010. He's not even reaching the final if we go by curses.

edmondsm
10-22-2009, 08:45 AM
So he's definitely not playing Paris masters? That'd be awesome. Screw Paris masters. Get it off the calender.

Agassifan
10-22-2009, 09:55 AM
He is afraid of losing to Nadal, which will result in subtraction of two Slams. He is waiting for a fresh start next year when people will forget that he won the Slams without facing Nadal.

False. He won 3 slams this year. And Nadal didn't play in only one of them.

Matt H.
10-22-2009, 09:58 AM
To be honest, Federer has nothing to gain playing the Tour finals.

Unless he sweeps thru undefeated and wins the tournament, any slip up is just going to be fuel for the media and message boards to cast doubt about his ability to perform in 2010.

Agassifan
10-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Unless he sweeps thru undefeated and wins the tournament, any slip up is just going to be fuel for the media and message boards to cast doubt about his ability to perform in 2010.

like that would bother the GOAT

Matt H.
10-22-2009, 10:10 AM
the media pressure definitely got to Fed earlier this year. As evidenced by his crying and smashing racquets.

akv89
10-22-2009, 10:16 AM
He played the YEC three times in his career while coming off of injury or while being injured. I doubt he'll skip it.

statto
10-22-2009, 10:52 AM
False. He won 3 slams this year. And Nadal didn't play in only one of them.

Eh? Is there a fifth slam I don't know about?

Telepatic
10-22-2009, 10:58 AM
Eh? Is there a fifth slam I don't know about?

Of course:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=282818&highlight=Suresh

IvanAndreevich
10-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Why would he skip it? He'll be fully rested and ready to rock. This is a title he wants.

clayman2000
10-22-2009, 11:54 AM
Wow..... if Federer really skips the TMC and Paris it will be like giving Nadal a thank you card for going out early at RG and skipping Wimby.

Nadal would only have to get 1211 points in his last 2 tournies to end 09 no 1.

Face it fans, its not over yet

clayman2000
10-22-2009, 11:56 AM
To be honest, Federer has nothing to gain playing the Tour finals.

If Nadal wins Paris he does. If Nadal was somehow able to end this year no 1, despite a very, very average June - November, it would really do much for Nadal's confidence for 10

Sartorius
10-22-2009, 12:36 PM
http://www.facebook.com/Federer?ref=nf

I have been back practicing and training now for some time and all is going well. I feel much better. I am looking forward to playing my hometown tournament in Basel . I have also had a chance to spend some amazing time with my family. Myla and Charlene are doing great. After training yesterday, Mirka and I took them for a walk along Lake Zurich. I am always excited to be back in Switzerland!

pame
10-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Looks, not surprisingly, like so much idle speculation.

http://www.facebook.com/Federer?ref=nf

Roger Federer" " I have been back practicing and training now for some time and all is going well. I feel much better. I am looking forward to playing my hometown tournament in Basel . I have also had a chance to spend some amazing time with my family. Myla and Charlene are doing great. After training yesterday, Mirka and I took them for a walk along Lake Zurich. I am always excited to be back in Switzerland!"

Sartorius
10-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Beat you to it. :D

pame
10-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Beat you to it. :D

haha... yes you did, quick draw McGraw :) :)