PDA

View Full Version : racket snaps after string job

lefty001
10-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Tell me what you folks think.

Situation

I strung a racket for a friend. Checked for cracks before I strung it. Mounted correctly and strung it according the manufacturer's specification (alt mains, top-bot cross). After I strung it I checked again for frame integrity. No visual problems. Strung on a neos. Then my friend tells me that the racket snaps during a hitting session after new string job. Did I miss something during stringing? Or did the racket just happen to fail because of age? The racket was pretty beat up when I strung it. Racket was a Wilson K Pro Open.

downs_chris
10-22-2009, 08:10 AM
there were probably some structural damages to the racquet that you couldn't see...if you followed all the proper steps when stringing, i don't really see how this was avoidable (or your fault)...

drakulie
10-22-2009, 08:22 AM
^^^agreed.

have you seen the racquet since??? where did it snap/crack??

jefferson
10-22-2009, 08:46 AM
Location is the key here. He might have broken on his own. If it was your fault I would imagine it would break on the stringer, not after it is all done. But find out where on the stick it snapped and go from there. IE if it snapped on the throat, definitely not your fault.

Cup8489
10-22-2009, 08:49 AM
^^^agreed.

yes.

it could also have been poor handling of the frame on your friends part. if it looked so beat up, he may have dropped it on the head, or thrown it. new string jobs make a frame a bit more vulnerable to this. i dropped my old Hybrid Hornet on the hoop from 2 feet up at 12 o clock, and this was just after a new string job. the frame was only about 2 months old, with very minimal scraping from normal play. it cracked at 10 o'clock, and shortly thereafter it broke the rest of the way (it was strung with BBO @ 57 lbs, not a high tension IMO)

tought me the benefits of having a second hybrid hornet, which was literallly brand new. i didn't think I'd need it so soon, though :(

jrod
10-22-2009, 08:49 AM

Situation

I strung a racket for a friend. Checked for cracks before I strung it. Mounted correctly and strung it according the manufacturer's specification (alt mains, top-bot cross). After I strung it I checked again for frame integrity. No visual problems. Strung on a neos. Then my friend tells me that the racket snaps during a hitting session after new string job. Did I miss something during stringing? Or did the racket just happen to fail because of age? The racket was pretty beat up when I strung it. Racket was a Wilson K Pro Open.

My sense is he either snapped it and it was unrelated, or it would have happened to him regardless as to who the stringer was.

jim e
10-22-2009, 08:53 AM
Some older well used racquets in time can have some structural integrity problems, then add the normal stresses that stringing does, and this can happen. No ones fault, as it was just the racquets time. None of them last forever if they get used.A good racquet can take the stress of stringing, but an older used one this can and does happen, its no ones fault normally. I look them over well before hand as well, and if it is well worn, I tell them that stress of stringing can effect older racquets.Just explain that it was the racquets time to go, as none of them last forever unless they are left hanging on a wall.Years ago the wooden racquets would warp over time, and players would replace them, my old wooden Tad racquets would break at the neck of the racquet. Todays racquets can just plain wear down and eventually give way and break.

Bud
10-22-2009, 09:16 AM

Situation

What string and tension was used?

Does your friend have an anger management problem while on court?

SteveI
10-22-2009, 09:19 AM

Situation

Sounds like you followed proper procedures and the frame (The racket was pretty beat up when I strung it) was not well cared for.. or at least well played. If the racket was used by a HS player or college player (sorry guys and gals) might have seen some racket abuse. My guess is you did nothing wrong. BTW... was it strung @ a high tension.. midrange?

Steve

rich s
10-22-2009, 09:30 AM
I don't think it's your fault......

I've had two racquets fail after stringing and they failed immediately after removing them from the machine

AND

in both cases the racquets had visible signs of wear/damage and their owners said...."string it.....if it cracks, it cracks, if it doesn't, great......"

I wouldn't sweat it especially with you saying the racquet was in rough shape to start with and it didn't fail until after it was off the machine and being played with......

Audiophile
10-22-2009, 09:34 AM
Based on the information provided, I tend to agree with what everyone else has stated. Remember, a racquet undergoes its most intense stress while being strung. (Not including abuse on the court). Chances are if you would have done something wrong it would have broken in the stringer. As long as you didn't exceed the recommended tension, I'm not sure how you are to blame. Hope the situation works out for the best.

Irvin
10-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Ever notice how baseball players tap their bat on home plate to check for cracks? I do the same thing with a racket. I tap in on the carpet to check for cracks.

I strung a racket one time and told the customer the racket was cracked. This was a visible crack that I should to the guy when he dropped it off. It was a very slight crack and I thought it would hold up. I have strung worse. I told the guy if I strung it any further damage was his responsibility. The string in the racket were fine when he dropped it off. He said no problem he wanted a new racket anyway. I strung it and when I took it off the stringer it was fine. While I was stringing another racket I heard a pop and had not idea what it was.

Long story short that popping noise continued for the next day every so often. By the time he picked up the racket it looked like it had been run over by a truck.

Irvin

jim e
10-22-2009, 10:31 AM
By the time he picked up the racket it looked like it had been run over by a truck.

Irvin

Any particular type of truck?
18 wheeler would probably suffice.

lefty001
10-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks for all your input.

^^^agreed.

I haven't seen the racket since and I am not sure where it cracked. I plan to find out soon.

Sounds like you followed proper procedures and the frame (The racket was pretty beat up when I strung it) was not well cared for.. or at least well played. If the racket was used by a HS player or college player (sorry guys and gals) might have seen some racket abuse. My guess is you did nothing wrong. BTW... was it strung @ a high tension.. midrange?

Steve

The racket was strung at 60lbs.
Mains Blue Gear 60lbs
Cross Gosen OG Micro 60lbs
I told him before I strung it that 60lbs is too high and would play harsh for Blue Gear. But he said go for it.

The tension range on the racket was 53-63lbs.

The friend is in high school.

jmverdugo
10-22-2009, 10:47 AM
I tend to agree with the other poster, also you should find out who did the last strinjob before yours and how he did it, dod you remember how the racquet was strung before you string it? maybe you are paying the consequences of others stringjobs.

vandre
10-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Thanks for all your input.

I haven't seen the racket since and I am not sure where it cracked. I plan to find out soon.

The racket was strung at 60lbs.
Mains Blue Gear 60lbs
Cross Gosen OG Micro 60lbs
I told him before I strung it that 60lbs is too high and would play harsh for Blue Gear. But he said go for it.

The tension range on the racket was 53-63lbs.

The friend is in high school.

isn't blue gear a poly? if it is and it says to string 10% looser then it would've exceeded the tension range by about 3#. your friend should've listened to you when you told him 60# was too high. he said go for it so you aren't responsible for his j@ck@$$ery!!! :twisted:

Irvin
10-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Any particular type of truck?
18 wheeler would probably suffice.

Just a four wheel pickup.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_gwaz9FzRU_0/SX8jxs2EcxI/AAAAAAAAAMI/okovuc1lciw/s400/monster-truck-0021.JPG

Irvin

Steve Huff
10-22-2009, 01:21 PM
It probably had nothing to do with your stringing, but the first thing I'd do is get a calibrator and recheck your tension for accuracy. I've seen some dropweight machines off by several pounds, one off by over 10 because of the weight being place on backwards and being measured from the wrong side of the weight. Even high end electrics can sometimes get off.

alidisperanza
10-22-2009, 04:31 PM
To be honest, it sounds like you did all the right stuff... It happens sometimes though. I've been stringing for over 5 years now and take very very good care of my stuff and I've had 3 racquets crack on me. (ironically, all prestiges) One was perfectly fine before stringing, fine after stringing and a day later, found it cracked right on the main tie off in my bag. Never hit a ball with it. My other two racquets actually cracked becuase of the "stress from my hitting" According to a tech, the way I hit the ball placed stress on the throat of the racquet (where it cracked). If your buddy abuses his racquets and/or had an older beaten up racquet, I wouldn't be surprised if it was some user error on his part or if it was just time for the frame to go.

LanEvo
10-22-2009, 04:36 PM
and u strung it on a Neos, so i see no part of it being ur fault, since u said its beat up that may be why, next time tell ur friend that bc its so beat up or for anyone sbeat up frame, its not ur fault if it breaks

liftlobby2
10-22-2009, 06:22 PM
i doubt its your fault dude. relax. it happens. is he "blaming" you for it?

lefty001
10-22-2009, 07:01 PM
It probably had nothing to do with your stringing, but the first thing I'd do is get a calibrator and recheck your tension for accuracy. I've seen some dropweight machines off by several pounds, one off by over 10 because of the weight being place on backwards and being measured from the wrong side of the weight. Even high end electrics can sometimes get off.

The Neos is a crank system and I recalibrate it every 6-8 string jobs. I use a digital meter and calibration has never been off.

i doubt its your fault dude. relax. it happens. is he "blaming" you for it?

He's not blaming me for it. I just wanted to make sure that I did everything correctly from experienced stringers since I am fairly new to stringing. I want to treat all my clients with top notch service and hearing that the racket snapped after my job makes me think twice on what I did.

fluffy Beaver
10-22-2009, 07:08 PM
isn't blue gear a poly? if it is and it says to string 10% looser then it would've exceeded the tension range by about 3#. your friend should've listened to you when you told him 60# was too high. he said go for it so you aren't responsible for his j@ck@$$ery!!! :twisted:

lol this post made me laugh. I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

Steve Huff
10-23-2009, 05:37 PM
60# is 60#. It doesn't matter if it's a poly or a natural gut. It's still 60# of inward pressure being pulled on the frame. They say to reduce it 10% because the string is stiff and won't be the same power level as a synthetic at the same tension. Poly makers don't want people to hate their products because they have no power, so they tell you to reduce the tension to a level that will give you approximately the same power level as a synthetic gut.

rich s
10-23-2009, 06:17 PM
60# is Force

60 psi is pressure

:)

alidisperanza
10-23-2009, 07:05 PM
SO glad I'm not the only physics geek that thought about that one =]

liftlobby2
10-24-2009, 06:02 PM
u guys made a point. "Force"

try to get the snapped racquet from your client. from there you should be able to find out whats the cause. (i.e. where it broke )

Virtua Tennis
10-24-2009, 08:54 PM
You never told us was his racquet beat up or how old was it.