PDA

View Full Version : Foot placement when serving

janm
10-22-2009, 08:31 AM
Hi,

Just starting out, been playing for a couple of months.

I'm a left hander and when serving from Right to Left I point my front foot to the left upright and i can serve ok.

Problem is when serving from Left to Right.

Where should my feet be pointing?

I can't get as much power on serves taken from this side and my action just seems wrong. I think its mostly due to my front foot not pointing where it should be.

In need of some advice..

thanks,

Jan

volusiano
10-22-2009, 08:38 AM
For a leftie, you always want to point your front right foot at the left post of the net when serving on either deuce or ad side.

LeeD
10-22-2009, 10:41 AM
I'm lefty also.
Duece court, I point my right foot about my service line intersect (wide singles sideline).
Ad court, mostly left netpost.
In both cases, I prep with my back right shoulder facing the opponent, hiding the racket from my opponent during the ball bounce and backswing.

SystemicAnomaly
10-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Yet another lefty (but this basic idea would apply to righties as well).

My feet line up, more or less, to the same reference point regardless of where I am on the baseline for my serve. If I serve from the left alley (for doubs), this would make my stance fairly neutral. From the right alley serving position my feet are very offset (very closed). But in either (or any) case, my feet line up approx to the some point.

janm
10-23-2009, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the information guys, I guess I was trying to compensate by aligning myself differently each side of the court. More than I needed and my serving motion was not feeling fluid as a result.

If its not raining in the morning i'll try and get to the courts and report back.

Jan

tennis_pr0
10-23-2009, 07:03 AM
It's hard to say where exactly you should place your feet when serving, because everyone has different form (i.e. Federer and Nadal). However, as a rule of thumb, and this is what I tell my students, you should place your front on a 45 degree angle from the baseline, and the back foot about parallel with the baseline. Last, your feet should be about shoulder width apart, and spread out so your back foot is slightly further back that your left foot. From this point, if you want to make a minor change, that's okay, but I would try out something close to what I said as it is the most common and most accepted serving stance.

benasp
10-23-2009, 08:35 AM
Hi fellow lefty, as other user said, a good starting point is to point the left post with you front foot.
The back foot is also very important, if you use a pinpoint stance this i also applicable to others type of serve i think. Experiment with different back foot position, you want is to allow maximum shoulder turn. It's very impressive how much impact a 2 inch modification can have on your serve mechanic.

julian
10-23-2009, 02:44 PM
For a leftie, you always want to point your front right foot at the left post of the net when serving on either deuce or ad side.

1.An answer above is a most sensible one from given in this thread.
2.However Nadal does NOT follow your answer on an add side at LEAST LATELY-see
a tournament in Shanghai 2009

janm
10-24-2009, 07:53 AM
Well got some play time in this morning.

When serving ad court i've found having my right foot pointing slightly inside the left post allows a more fluid motion then I have been getting previously.
(i think i've got the terminology right?)

Now I just have to work at hitting the ball a little bit harder. :eek:

thanks,

Jan

LeeD
10-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Here we have two different target locations, with the server standing in different spots on his court.
How can you possibly point the right foot (lefty server) at the SAME location? For duece AND ad court.

SystemicAnomaly
10-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Here we have two different target locations, with the server standing in different spots on his court.
How can you possibly point the right foot (lefty server) at the SAME location? For duece AND ad court.

What I was talking about actually works quite well and is not an uncommon practice. I'm actually talking more about the alignment of the 2 feet rather than just the orientation of the front foot. My front foot orientation is usually close to 45 degrees (with respect to the baseline) no matter where I server from. It varies only slightly from this orientation. However, the alignment of the feet is typically toward the same location (the left net post, for instance). This would offset the feet more on the deuce side than the ad side, especially noticeable when serving from doubles positions.

(This alignment might vary a bit if I'm trying something different).

LeeD
10-27-2009, 09:59 AM
I think OP is wondering where the front foot should point on the serves.
So say lefty. In singles, standing maybe 4' right of the centerline, I'd point my front foot sorta close to the left net post.
But in doubles, sometimes standing in the doubles alley lines, and serving into the same service box, I'd point my toes upway up towards my service line (from the netpost). Since I'm standing way out wide, I need to modify my shots to go to the same place as I'd hit if I were standing near the centerline.

SystemicAnomaly
10-27-2009, 10:24 AM
I think OP is wondering where the front foot should point on the serves...

That is what it appears he is saying. However, I believe the alignment is considerably more important the the front foot orientation. That is the point that I was trying to get across.