PDA

View Full Version : Technical Analysis: Videos

Bungalo Bill
10-22-2009, 07:55 AM
If I promised to look and provide advice to your videos, please accept my apoligies but I dont remember the threads on where they are located. Pop it up by posting something in them, and I will take a look. If I miss it, keep popping it up. I am not trying to avoid you or not do it. I want to give you advice and want to look at them to see if I can help.

user92626
10-22-2009, 08:04 AM
Hi BB, welcome back ;)

I don't have no video for analysis, but can you give the progression of the bh slice -- the one that pros hit from the baseline just like the regular topspin drive. Thanks.

Bungalo Bill
10-22-2009, 08:05 AM
Hi BB, welcome back ;)

I don't have no video for analysis, but can you give the progression of the bh slice -- the one that pros hit from the baseline just like the regular topspin drive. Thanks.

Do you mean the key steps? Or the entire stroke?

user92626
10-22-2009, 08:11 AM
I'm not sure. I was thinking in the same line as your 4 position FH which was easy enough.

Bungalo Bill
10-22-2009, 08:17 AM
I'm not sure. I was thinking in the same line as your 4 position FH which was easy enough.

Alright. I can do that.

bad_call
10-22-2009, 09:40 AM
BB - who's the goofy foot in your avatar?

Bungalo Bill
10-22-2009, 11:46 AM
BB - who's the goofy foot in your avatar?

That is me when I lived on the North Shore of Hawaii in my twenties. That break was right in front of the house we rented on the beach with my friends. I worked for Local Motion Surfboards at the time and the break was called Gas Chambers inbetween Rocky Point and Pupukea. A little ways down from Pupukea was Pipeline.

After all the waves I surfed in Hawaii for eight years there, I finally got my buddy to take a photo of me surfing. At least I can say I did it right? ;)

revolutionary technique
10-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Welcome back. I think you promise to comment on my vid, and were not able to. I will post a new vid tomorrow so you could analyze my latest strokes. Thanks for reminding me.

Bungalo Bill
10-22-2009, 11:54 AM
Welcome back. I think you promise to comment on my vid, and were not able to. I will post a new vid tomorrow so you could analyze my latest strokes. Thanks for reminding me.

Yes, I remember. Perfect, I will look for it tommorow. Tommorow is a travel day after 3:30pm. So, if I dont comment on it in the day, I will look at it on the weekend.

bad_call
10-22-2009, 11:58 AM
That is me when I lived on the North Shore of Hawaii in my twenties. That break was right in front of the house we rented on the beach with my friends. I worked for Local Motion Surfboards at the time and the break was called Gas Chambers inbetween Rocky Point and Pupukea. A little ways down from Pupukea was Pipeline.

After all the waves I surfed in Hawaii for eight years there, I finally got my buddy to take a photo of me surfing. At least I can say I did it right? ;)

too awesome. :)

Bungalo Bill
10-22-2009, 12:03 PM
too awesome. :)

Hahaha, yeah, I didnt think like that when I left Oahu. I was sick of the red dirt, the blue sky's, the party nights, the waves, the summers, the winters, and on and on...I was a cranky boy towards the final years there.

However, now I have a mortgage, kids, job, worries, planes to catch, hotels to stay in, a goofy boss that makes me think he has a screw missing, and the rest of the issues life brings....makes me wonder at times what was I all cranky about? I had beautiful waves, tennis, sunsets, watched some of the best surfing in the world, would play tennis with the Aussies when they came into town, drove a beat-up Volkswagon Bus, partied in Waikiki and surfed in the country.

Somehow, somewhere, I went wrong. Love my kids and wife though. ;)

Moz
10-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Hi BB

You didn't offer, but I figure I'll ask anyway.

Could you take a look at the following thread and provide some feedback:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=292028

My takeback is pretty ugly but it is working for me, I can't properly evalute the cost / benefit ratio of changing at my ripe old age!

Thanks in advance if you have the time, if not, no worries.

Bungalo Bill
10-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Hi BB

You didn't offer, but I figure I'll ask anyway.

Could you take a look at the following thread and provide some feedback:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=292028

My takeback is pretty ugly but it is working for me, I can't properly evalute the cost / benefit ratio of changing at my ripe old age!

Thanks in advance if you have the time, if not, no worries.

Sure, I saw the length of the threads, so I will post as if giving you new information. If what I said was said before, then just take it with a grain of salt.

There are a few things right off the bat that I saw that can help you and give you something to practice. :) I will look at it later. I will have to remember whivh post your video was buried, so pop it up or make a separate one if I dont get to it tonight. It means I couldnt find it.

Moz
10-22-2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks very much BB - vid is here if that helps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfAkxmklXC8

chess9
10-22-2009, 03:32 PM

I think I've played those courts! Which courts are they located? When I was in England I bought all my over-priced gear from ***. ;)

What's wrong with your left arm Moz? Did you take a bullet in the war? ;)

You definitely have a runner's build too. Skinny legs just like me.... LOL!

-Robert

UnforcedError
10-22-2009, 03:33 PM

I didn't know that was you. Cool photo, powerful bottom turn on a heavy wave.

Bungalo Bill
10-22-2009, 04:13 PM
I didn't know that was you. Cool photo, powerful bottom turn on a heavy wave.

Thanks! Sounds like you know something about surfing?

Bungalo Bill
10-22-2009, 04:42 PM

Well, I won't comment on your legs except to keep working on keeping those knees bent and rising through the ball. Be careful that you don't over hit and get too excited that you have hit four or more balls in a row. Some players have a tendency to increase swing speed as they rally and then end up overhitting and commiting the error instead of just working on that dependable swing speed that keeps the ball in play.

FOREHAND ANALYSIS - UPPER BODY

1. Hitting hand path: On many of the balls you hit, your hand goes down and back, then up, loops, then comes back down and forward. On one stroke it nearly came close to being a hitch but I am not going to go that far because your hand did not stop. Most professional players do not use that hand path. Many of them simply use a C-pattern for their swing. So, the hand goes up and back, then comes down and then forward. One of the benefits in doing this is it allows you to keep your non-dominant hand on the racquet long for racquet stablization and and helps with being consistent with a good shoulder turn and flow. The other thing it does is helps you get your non-dominant arm into the stroke which helps with effortless pace, rythym, and flow.

2. Non-dominant hand: Your hand should stay longer on the racquet for my reasons above. When you do this, you can turn your shoulders effortlessly and that will help in the angular momentum you create which allows your rotation to go back into the ball and not rotate out of the stroke too soon. I have provided a video for you to see below and compare yourself too. Relaxing more in your upper body (shoulders, arms, hands) will help you here.

3. Practice: To practice keeping your non-dominant hand on the racquet longer, you can practice a Figure 8 motion in front of the mirror or when you are being fed balls. I would recommend slowing down to a no-brainer feed pace so you are not stressed trying to pick-up on the ball and can concentrate on your arm flow. Basically, you put your hands together rather loosely like as if you are praying (you can also use your racquet especially if you are hitting balls ;) ). Standing in front of the mirror, bring your hands up while you are rotating back, then let your hands go back and up further before coming back down and then repeating on the other side. Start doing a Figure 8 motion without stopping going from one side to the other back and forth. Feel your hands and visualize yourself preparing and then bringing your hands back through the ball. In real hitting, you will be letting go of the racquet with the non-dominant hand and allow it to fold back into your body for extra acceleration through the ball.

Watch this and then look at yours: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVZVQMsb1AY&NR=1

aimr75
10-22-2009, 05:43 PM
BB, good to see you are back and providing stroke analysis..

not sure if i should be asking in this thread or to create a thread, but ive been having an issue with my forehand of late...

Ive developed a bad habit on my forehand follow through where by i am raising my hitting shoulder up higher then my other shoulder, almost sort of exaggerating the follow through (or the low to high) with my shoulder.. ive watched vids of the pros and for the most part ive noticed they keep their shoulders pretty level .. is there anything i should take note of or do to alleviate this?

Bungalo Bill
10-22-2009, 06:29 PM
BB, good to see you are back and providing stroke analysis..

not sure if i should be asking in this thread or to create a thread, but ive been having an issue with my forehand of late...

Ive developed a bad habit on my forehand follow through where by i am raising my hitting shoulder up higher then my other shoulder, almost sort of exaggerating the follow through (or the low to high) with my shoulder.. ive watched vids of the pros and for the most part ive noticed they keep their shoulders pretty level .. is there anything i should take note of or do to alleviate this?

Hey thanks.

Are you angling the front shoulder so that the shoulders are still on the same plane? Or just raising (scrunching) your front shoulder?

VaBeachTennis
10-22-2009, 06:39 PM
Nice thread BB.................Much respect to you.

Here's a guy that's obviously qualified to teach, offering his no B.S. opinion for free............ no fluff, no B.S., just a qualified opinion and analysis. No snake oil B.S., just good tennis instruction.............................

Bungalo Bill
10-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Nice thread BB.................Much respect to you.

Here's a guy that's obviously qualified to teach, offering his no B.S. opinion for free............ no fluff, no B.S., just a qualified opinion and analysis. No snake oil B.S., just good tennis instruction.............................

Thanks, I appreciate that.

Bungalo Bill
10-22-2009, 07:13 PM

Take this to the slice backhand study thread I am working on and we can talk about it.

Ano
10-22-2009, 07:18 PM
BB, just want to thank you again.

Your contribution to this forum is very much appreciated.

Whenever I have a free time, I read your old posts, and damn, I honestly think that most your posts are very helpful and informative.

Thanks for taking the time to help us.

Regards,

Ryano.

Bungalo Bill
10-22-2009, 07:40 PM
BB, just want to thank you again.

Your contribution to this forum is very much appreciated.

Whenever I have a free time, I read your old posts, and damn, I honestly think that most your posts are very helpful and informative.

Thanks for taking the time to help us.

Regards,

Ryano.

Thanks Ano, I am glad they help.

aimr75
10-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Hey thanks.

Are you angling the front shoulder so that the shoulders are still on the same plane? Or just raising (scrunching) your front shoulder?

i think for the most part i am more so scrunching the shoulder not on plane..

Cody
10-22-2009, 08:12 PM
This is my serve that is my issue at the moment.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=289389

The new video is the best video and there are some other ones on my vimeo page.

Thanks Bungalow Bill :)

Bungalo Bill
10-22-2009, 10:14 PM
i think for the most part i am more so scrunching the shoulder not on plane..

Several things could be happening:

1. You are simply overhitting. Relax and just make contact with the ball with good timing. Accelerate decently through the ball and extend. Flow with the shot, don't try to kill the ball all the time.

2. You are not confident with your timing in hitting a ball.

3. Hitting late sometimes causes this bad habit. It is because you tense up real quick in the arm and shoulder to brace for the impact and to get the racquet going real quick.

Bungalo Bill
10-22-2009, 10:16 PM
This is my serve that is my issue at the moment.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=289389

The new video is the best video and there are some other ones on my vimeo page.

Thanks Bungalow Bill :)

Okay, I will take a look.

Moz
10-22-2009, 10:55 PM
I think I've played those courts! Which courts are they located? When I was in England I bought all my over-priced gear from ***. ;)

What's wrong with your left arm Moz? Did you take a bullet in the war? ;)

You definitely have a runner's build too. Skinny legs just like me.... LOL!

-Robert

Hi Robert

It's St. Neots in Cambridgeshire. Just had surgery on my left hand and a skin graft on my arm - or were you being cheeky about my technique?!!

I have lost over 14lbs since I started running seriously again - unfortunately even the runners laugh at my skinny legs!

Well, I won't comment on your legs except to keep working on keeping those knees bent and rising through the ball. Be careful that you don't over hit and get too excited that you have hit four or more balls in a row. Some players have a tendency to increase swing speed as they rally and then end up overhitting and commiting the error instead of just working on that dependable swing speed that keeps the ball in play.

FOREHAND ANALYSIS - UPPER BODY

1. Hitting hand path: On many of the balls you hit, your hand goes down and back, then up, loops, then comes back down and forward. On one stroke it nearly came close to being a hitch but I am not going to go that far because your hand did not stop. Most professional players do not use that hand path. Many of them simply use a C-pattern for their swing. So, the hand goes up and back, then comes down and then forward. One of the benefits in doing this is it allows you to keep your non-dominant hand on the racquet long for racquet stablization and and helps with being consistent with a good shoulder turn and flow. The other thing it does is helps you get your non-dominant arm into the stroke which helps with effortless pace, rythym, and flow.

2. Non-dominant hand: Your hand should stay longer on the racquet for my reasons above. When you do this, you can turn your shoulders effortlessly and that will help in the angular momentum you create which allows your rotation to go back into the ball and not rotate out of the stroke too soon. I have provided a video for you to see below and compare yourself too. Relaxing more in your upper body (shoulders, arms, hands) will help you here.

3. Practice: To practice keeping your non-dominant hand on the racquet longer, you can practice a Figure 8 motion in front of the mirror or when you are being fed balls. I would recommend slowing down to a no-brainer feed pace so you are not stressed trying to pick-up on the ball and can concentrate on your arm flow. Basically, you put your hands together rather loosely like as if you are praying (you can also use your racquet especially if you are hitting balls ;) ). Standing in front of the mirror, bring your hands up while you are rotating back, then let your hands go back and up further before coming back down and then repeating on the other side. Start doing a Figure 8 motion without stopping going from one side to the other back and forth. Feel your hands and visualize yourself preparing and then bringing your hands back through the ball. In real hitting, you will be letting go of the racquet with the non-dominant hand and allow it to fold back into your body for extra acceleration through the ball.

Watch this and then look at yours: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVZVQMsb1AY&NR=1

Thanks for taking the time Bill. Everything is understood and I'll give it a go as it sounds as though it will be worthwhile.

I tried something like that a couple of weeks ago and had good success at short stuff but was late on all the deep stuff. That should come with time though. Thanks again.

chess9
10-23-2009, 04:26 AM
Hi Robert

It's St. Neots in Cambridgeshire. Just had surgery on my left hand and a skin graft on my arm - or were you being cheeky about my technique?!!

I have lost over 14lbs since I started running seriously again - unfortunately even the runners laugh at my skinny legs!

Oh, ok. You seemed to be holding it out oddly. Hope that is progressing nicely. I was being a bit cheeky, yes. ;)

No, I haven't been to Cambridgeshire, though ***'s main store is about half way between your club and my old club in Crawley.

-Robert

karbelmusic
10-23-2009, 04:47 AM
hello thanks a lot for helping me on my forehand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxLFX0NMWXw

JackB1
10-23-2009, 08:04 AM
Hey Bill. I just posted a similar question in anther thread, but basically I want to video myself for anaylsis and want to know the best way to set up the camera? What height, angle, depth, etc? Should I play a few points or stand in the same spot and show you basic strokes? thanks

Jack

Bungalo Bill
10-23-2009, 08:16 AM
Hi Robert

Thanks for taking the time Bill. Everything is understood and I'll give it a go as it sounds as though it will be worthwhile.

I tried something like that a couple of weeks ago and had good success at short stuff but was late on all the deep stuff. That should come with time though. Thanks again.

Being late is normal. You are thinking a bit too much. Keep working on it with a slow feed or in the mirror till it is brainless stuff. Do it and feel your body move kinetic energy around. You should feel your hips and legs wanting to get involved.

You should feel your rythym improving and your breathing being more relaxed. When you sense your muscle throughout your body flowing with the Figure 8, head to the courts, put it on a slow feed and get it down there. Soon, you will feel it in your normal groundstrokes.

Give it six months. One month to understand what to do, and six months to engrain it to where you wouldnt know what to do without it.

Bungalo Bill
10-23-2009, 08:18 AM
Hey Bill. I just posted a similar question in anther thread, but basically I want to video myself for anaylsis and want to know the best way to set up the camera? What height, angle, depth, etc? Should I play a few points or stand in the same spot and show you basic strokes? thanks

Jack

Oh boy, camera huh? Well, that is not my expertise and would need you to post or ask people in the know about this. I think the best position is from an angle like net post to center mark. Sometimes filming from behind helps as well. I can help with the stroke though. :)

Any camera people here that can help Jack?

larry10s
10-23-2009, 08:25 AM
Bungalo Bill welcome back. sounds likeyou had a great 20's in hawaii. as you know your post are always read by me with great attention. heres 2 of my strokes fromm 1-2 years ago .dont have anything more recent that i know how to link
http://www.hi-techtennis.com/student_video.php?player_id=12&stroke=onehander&account=566
http://www.hi-techtennis.com/student_video.php?player_id=12&stroke=serve&account=566

larry10s
10-23-2009, 08:41 AM
^^^ no need to talk about my left hand on the bh as i just read your comments about that on the other thread. will try your suggestion

Bungalo Bill
10-23-2009, 08:46 AM
^^^ no need to talk about my left hand on the bh as i just read your comments about that on the other thread. will try your suggestion

I will look at them when I get home. Right now, I am in Idaho Falls on an audit. We have one more week to go but am flying to Boise tonight. When I get home, I will most likely be exhausted (as I am now and goofing off) but will probably throw some darts and drink some beers with the guys tonight. Of course, I will kiss the kids, kiss the wife and accept my honey-do list with gladness for tommorow. :)

So, let me recoup, get my brain out of the fog of numbers and negotiations with management and I can sitback, get a cup of coffee, load your vids on my two big screens and begin my analysis in the comfort of my own home. hahaha

Bungalo Bill
10-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Bungalo Bill welcome back. sounds likeyou had a great 20's in hawaii. as you know your post are always read by me with great attention. heres 2 of my strokes fromm 1-2 years ago .dont have anything more recent that i know how to link
http://www.hi-techtennis.com/student_video.php?player_id=12&stroke=onehander&account=566
http://www.hi-techtennis.com/student_video.php?player_id=12&stroke=serve&account=566

As Archie Bunker said, "those were the days". Lots of parties, surfing, danger, bar hopping, beachcombing, beach volleyball, and all.

Funnest part of the time there is I lived with some Aussies and they played excellent tennis. Great volleyers too. We surfed and played tennis, then we went to work making surfboards at night.

You got to love that. I just got tired of it and wanted to "be all I could be". So, I got a job. Life ended at that point in time. lol

boojay
10-23-2009, 09:21 AM
You got to love that. I just got tired of it and wanted to "be all I could be". So, I got a job. Life ended at that point in time. lol

I just emailed this to your wife ;). :twisted:

crash1929
10-23-2009, 09:28 AM
In the 10 years on and off I've been coming on here bb has never responded to any of my questions. to be fair i've never asked him either.

Bungalo Bill
10-23-2009, 09:50 AM
I just emailed this to your wife ;). :twisted:

Hahaha, but you need to also put in that email that I "gladly" accept my honey do lists.

larry10s
10-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Of course, I will kiss the kids, kiss the wife and accept my honey-do list with gladness for tommorow. :)

i just emaled this to your wife:):). now you know who your friends are:mrgreen:

Bungalo Bill
10-23-2009, 09:56 AM
i just emaled this to your wife:):). now you know who your friends are:mrgreen:

There you go...that should neutralize the ensuing attack.

Bungalo Bill
10-23-2009, 09:57 AM
In the 10 years on and off I've been coming on here bb has never responded to any of my questions. to be fair i've never asked him either.

Just ask! :)

ahile02
10-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Hey, BB, welcome back. You did comment on a thread I made asking for critique, however I do believe you were just responding to something someone else said. If you wouldn't mind, could you give me a few pointers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwcMt_zhMCw (prolly one of my worst hitting days I've ever had, IMO one of the best times to get coaching)

I have already fixed my unit turn somewhat (it looks pretty ugly in the video), and I am starting to get more of a relaxed, whippy swing, but I would really appreciate any tips or comments you had: you are a TTW Legend!

Thanks man!

teppeiahn1
10-23-2009, 03:23 PM
I dont have a video but may I ask?

1. Should I work 2wice as hard on my backhand side as forehand because I have the topspin and slice. To me that makes scence in some way also because it is my weaker side.

2. I play with an open player who has heavy lefty slice serve. any tips on geting them back?

Cody
10-25-2009, 12:20 PM
Hey Bungalow Bill,

I saw you post in another thread so i though you might be able to analyse my videos.

Here is my serve: http://www.vimeo.com/6717158

Here are some of my groundstrokes: http://www.vimeo.com/6938115

You have posted in one of my threads before a while ago when i was hitting against the wall if that is anything to go on.

You can't analyze it now it is fine but you you need some more info just ask.

Thanks, Cody

Bungalo Bill
10-25-2009, 12:25 PM
Hey Bungalow Bill,

I saw you post in another thread so i though you might be able to analyse my videos.

You have posted in one of my threads before a while ago when i was hitting against the wall if that is anything to go on.

Thanks, Cody

Good eye Cody! Yes, I have time. Let me look at them.

Bungalo Bill
10-25-2009, 12:26 PM
Hey, BB, welcome back. You did comment on a thread I made asking for critique, however I do believe you were just responding to something someone else said. If you wouldn't mind, could you give me a few pointers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwcMt_zhMCw (prolly one of my worst hitting days I've ever had, IMO one of the best times to get coaching)

I have already fixed my unit turn somewhat (it looks pretty ugly in the video), and I am starting to get more of a relaxed, whippy swing, but I would really appreciate any tips or comments you had: you are a TTW Legend!

Thanks man!

Sure, I am watching football, so I can look.

Bungalo Bill
10-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Hey Bungalow Bill,

Thanks, Cody

You know what I like about you Cody? You are very dedicated, you are teachable, and you want to improve. No matter what you end up doing in life, you will be succesful.

This post is for your serve.

Cody, it was difficult to see your whole motion as I couldnt see your legs in the motion. So much of the serve is driven upward from the legs. Also, the hitch in your motion (those pauses) led me to want to evaluate the thrust and knee bend I needed to see.

When you serve, much of your body weight needs to feel loaded over your legs for a brief moment. As you stroke matures, from your toes, you launch yourself upward. Your arm motion should be continuous and right after the "backscratch" position start really accelerating till your arm is full stretched or very near to that as you make contact with the ball.

Is it possible for you to film yourself again but do it also from an angle in front as well as back? Maybe some people here can help you with camera angle. However, whatever you do, I need your legs in the picture.

Bungalo Bill
10-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Hey Bungalow Bill,

Thanks, Cody

The groundstroke video was mainly backhands right?

What I like about what you were doing was keeping the ball at a good pace for you to practice your stroke. I am just going to comment on a several things to help you.

1. Use the smile pattern for your takeback ad forward swing. I have posted a lot on this and it should help you improve your timing. The smile pattern simply takes the racquet back and up and then down and foward. your takeback is more of a loop and what will happen is you will either hit late on many balls or could be suspectable in getting used to having too big os a backswing that you might have to undo later. Practice right now and develop your game on good fundamentals.

2. Make sure your racquet at its lowest point gets at least a foot below the ball and then let it rise up. You need to bend your knees more to help this out.

3. Rotate your front shoulder moves under your chin on the takeback/coiling and then your back shoulder moved under the chin in the followthrough and uncoiling.

Cody
10-25-2009, 01:00 PM
You know what I like about you Cody? You are very dedicated, you are teachable, and you want to improve. No matter what you end up doing in life, you will be succesful.

This post is for your serve.

Cody, it was difficult to see your whole motion as I couldnt see your legs in the motion. So much of the serve is driven upward from the legs. Also, the hitch in your motion (those pauses) led me to want to evaluate the thrust and knee bend I needed to see.

When you serve, much of your body weight needs to feel loaded over your legs for a brief moment. As you stroke matures, from your toes, you launch yourself upward. Your arm motion should be continuous and right after the "backscratch" position start really accelerating till your arm is full stretched or very near to that as you make contact with the ball.

Is it possible for you to film yourself again but do it also from an angle in front as well as back? Maybe some people here can help you with camera angle. However, whatever you do, I need your legs in the picture.

Yeh sure, i was planning to video myself as soon as this bad weather lets up.

I have another service video where you can see my legs but i have changed my motion since then: http://www.vimeo.com/6678860

Here is what i was trying to achive in my video where you can't see my legs

http://omploader.org/vMmVjaQ/serve_comp.png

But i will definatly film a new video soon.

Bungalo Bill
10-25-2009, 01:39 PM

Thanks man!

Hey ahile,

Some parts of your forehand were good and some parts need to be worked on to help improve your forehand. For your backhand, I didnt see many strokes on that but did see your use of the smile pattern.

Next time try just providing one stroke so I can see a lot of shots to that one side for evaluaton.

So for your forehand, the positive thing were your shoulder turn and you getting your non-dominant arm involved. Here are the things you need to focus on for now:

1. Balance: Your momentum either goes too much backward or it is going sideways too much. This most likely is coming from your consistent late contact with the ball and late ball judgement. You need to read that ball when the ball is coming off the strings of your opponents racquet. Reading the ball means:

1. Reading the spin.

2. Reading the speed.

3. Reading where it will bounce.

4. Understanding where you need to be to increase your chances of taking the ball in your strike zone.

This is a constant thing that must happen on every ball easy or hard, high or low, topspin or underpsin, fast or slow, practicing, warming up, in your cool down, or in a match.

A good way to help you improve your ball judgement skills, your movement, and your timing is to use a cadence like HIT-BOUNCE-HIT. I have posts on that so you can search for those.

When you are getting ready to hit the ball, and especially if you were moving lateral, you need to plant and push off of the back foot so that you can change that momentum and rotate back into the ball.

2. Non-dominant Arm: The other is to fold in your non-dominant are more after your contact and into followthrough. I am being picky here but I want to exaggerate this to engrain it in and ensure it does this without even thinking about it.

Watch these strokes and watch the footwork and balance in these strokes.

I am showing Gonzalez and the purpose is to show you how he stops his momentum from going sideways and pushes it up back into the stroke. Watch is head go down and then up without going to one side or another. He rotates right back into the ball and he uses his legs to stablize his balance and force into the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFibX-inICg&feature=related

When Gonzalez rotates through the ball, it is not exaggerated the other way like some of your shots were. He simply loads on the back foot, rotates back through the ball, and rebalances on the other foot. He doesnt over swing which you were doing due to a late contact with the ball and your lack of being able to control your momentum and balance.

Bungalo Bill
10-25-2009, 01:43 PM
Yeh sure, i was planning to video myself as soon as this bad weather lets up.

I have another service video where you can see my legs but i have changed my motion since then: http://www.vimeo.com/6678860

Here is what i was trying to achive in my video where you can't see my legs

http://omploader.org/vMmVjaQ/serve_comp.png

But i will definatly film a new video soon.

That is exaclty what I want to see. Notice on Federer the knee bend, the upward intent, and that he is on his toes ready to launch. Many club players do not involve the legs much. All of this needs to be timed with a continuous motion for your serve.

Also, take a look at racquet positions, but take this with a grain of salt because we dont know if we are seeing the exact same frame in the timing of the swing. The hand in your stroke has a tendency to layback into that waiters grip position. Not all the way but slightly. Model what Federer is doing. However, especially model his legs and how he is over his toes. Pressure is on the thigh muscles ready to go up and forward.

sheets
10-25-2009, 02:00 PM
I'd be interested in your opinion BB if you would be so kind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX1r0z9oFzI
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGUWIW4OpbQ

larry10s
10-25-2009, 04:30 PM

bb just a friendly reminder to check these out.(p.s. i was the one that sent those friendly emails to your wife:) )

Bungalo Bill
10-26-2009, 07:11 AM
bb just a friendly reminder to check these out.(p.s. i was the one that sent those friendly emails to your wife:) )

Yup, thanks for the reminder, I will get to 'em.

Bungalo Bill
10-26-2009, 07:29 AM
I'd be interested in your opinion BB if you would be so kind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX1r0z9oFzI
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGUWIW4OpbQ

On your first video, you can decide to work on the following. I enjoyed watching your energy, however, I do have something to say about that below:

1. Racquet backswing: Some of your shots sent the racquet head behind you. As you get better and face players that can really steam the ball, you will want to develop a consistent and a bit shorter backswing. What you want is for the racquet head to stay on the same side as your hitting arm. The more you move your racquet head away from your eyes, the harder it is for your brain to time the incoming ball to your swing. So, you might get away with it for slower more rally paced balls, but your backswing could pose a problem on faster paced balls. Also, when the ball comes in faster, work on your preparation (ball judgement, racquet preparation, balance, stance, positioning, etc...) so you don't have to make an out of control swing which at times makes you swing too big. This also goes for the onehanded backhand. When a swing is rushed, even if you really do have good technique, a player's technique can break down easily.

2. Use the smile pattern for your onehander. It is a simple rock the racquet and then rock the racquet back down and forward. It is such a simple backswing that the main reason why you do this is to keep the onehanded backhand as simple as possible increasing your chances to handle hard hit balls with good timing.

3. With the energy you have in your footwork and legs. Be careful that you do not rise suddenly or jump. You dumped a ball in the net because you jumped and changed the swing path slightly over the ball. Rise through the ball not over the ball. So your rising needs to help you lift the ball, dont rise and lift yourself over the ball. It is not a sudden jump and the majority of the "rise" happens after you hit the ball. So, calm down a bit there.

EikelBeiter
10-26-2009, 07:54 AM
A new coach joined our club and she said that my arm is too much stretched out when i initiate the volley. She says if it is bent first and then when you hit the ball stretch it you gain a lot of easy power.

I was wondering if you (BB) also see this as a possible improvement? So should i try and bent my arm a little more?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBolZQWnsaU

Bungalo Bill
10-26-2009, 08:21 AM
A new coach joined our club and she said that my arm is too much stretched out when i initiate the volley. She says if it is bent first and then when you hit the ball stretch it you gain a lot of easy power.

I was wondering if you (BB) also see this as a possible improvement? So should i try and bent my arm a little more?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBolZQWnsaU

Yes, that is a good tip. It is about leverage.

I tend to like a little more firmer control of the racquet head in your volley motion. On one of the backhand volleys, the racquet head traveled a long way to handle a volley around the thighs instead of just getting there. In other words, your racquet head sometimes follows a loopy path. Now, I am being picky here, so if you feel you are making solid contact and with good timing, then take it with a grain of salt.

Work on those things with your coach. Good stuff on your volleys.

Bungalo Bill
10-26-2009, 08:29 AM

1st Video:

1. Your hand path to get the racquet going up and forward travels a long way. Is it working for you? Very few people can make that hand path work at the club level and the pro level. That hand path probably was not as much an issue in the 70's as the ball travelled slower. But now days? If you are aving timing issues with your onehander, then move to using the smile pattern instead. It is much quicker and more efficient in getting that racquet moving forward and up then the loopy C pattern.

2. Improve your shoulder turn. Get that front shoulder more under the chin and vice versa on the followthrough.

That should be enough for now on the backhand.

Bungalo Bill
10-26-2009, 09:08 AM

The main thing is in your legs. There are a few things in your backswing which will be difficult to describe in writing so I provided a video example.

First, your legs. The timing to shift your weight forward happens too soon. There is also not enough body weight over your legs forcing you to balance and support yourself over your toes with your thighs muscles engaged to support the upward and outward momentum.

Your racquet as you are takig it back turns sort of outward instead of keeping your palm side still facing your body. This is hard to describe so when you see Federer bring his racquet back and the tossed ball is out of sight, put your video in the same position and note the racquet position.

Federer is getting a lot of upward thrust by really loading his weight over his legs. With him on his toes the thrust upward is amplified and he gets that rotation going because of it. Watch the taek abck of the racquet and the use of the legs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWC1hcKBh4g&feature=related

EikelBeiter
10-26-2009, 09:56 AM
Yes, that is a good tip. It is a bout leverage.

I tend to like a little more firmer control of the racquet head in your volley motion. On one of the backhand volleys, the racquet head traveled a long way to handle a volley around the thighs instead of just getting there. In other words, your racquet head sometimes follows a loopy path. Now, I am being picky here, so if you feel you are making solid contact and with good timing, then take it with a grain of salt.

Work on those things with your coach. Good stuff on your volleys.

I'm trying to shorten my backswing aswell, that is probably what you mean by a loopy path sometimes, right?

Cody
10-26-2009, 12:26 PM
Thanks the all the help Bungalow Bill

Your service is much appreciated by me :)

I'll be sure to film a new video asap that will have my full motion included.

Thanks,:)

Cody

gzhpcu
10-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Here is a video of my backhand. Any feedback appreciated Bungalow Bill. Thanks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jco6DTAHG88

KrossKourt
10-26-2009, 01:56 PM
hello bungalo bill,

i've read some of your advice on other players' videos and they are great.

here is my video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBQ4rdiAGTY

im pretty comfortable and solid with my backhand.

my forehand lately on the other hand has been quite inconsistent. i noticed that im not bending my knees as much and my non hitting arm is really lazy. im trying to remedy this. im trying to remedy these at the moment but if there's anything else that you see that i can work on please let me know.

Blake0
10-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Hey BB,
No video sorry..:neutral:
I'm having a bit of trouble on my forehand lately..I seem to be wrist slapping the ball..what i mean by that is on my forward swing my wrist releases too early in my swing and just slaps the ball back into the court, getting little to no spin at all..causing a lot of inconsistency..hopefully you understand what i'm trying to say.

Do you know how to fix this problem? Any help appreciated, thx in advance. (sorry for the no video..i'll try to get one in by this next weekend).

Bungalo Bill
10-26-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm trying to shorten my backswing aswell, that is probably what you mean by a loopy path sometimes, right?

Yup. Eikel, you have good volleys, so it will be the little things that will help you continually improve. However, I enjoyed watching you hit volleys.

Bungalo Bill
10-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Thanks the all the help Bungalow Bill

Your service is much appreciated by me :)

I'll be sure to film a new video asap that will have my full motion included.

Thanks,:)

Cody

Okay, sounds good.

Bungalo Bill
10-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Here is a video of my backhand. Any feedback appreciated Bungalow Bill. Thanks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jco6DTAHG88

Was that a real short video? Hard to tell on that. However, right off the bat, you got to bend those knees more on those lower balls. Nice smooth stroke and it looked like "smile" hand pattern was in tact.

Would like to see you hit various kinds of balls to your backhand if you can.

Bungalo Bill
10-26-2009, 06:31 PM
hello bungalo bill,

i've read some of your advice on other players' videos and they are great.

here is my video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBQ4rdiAGTY

im pretty comfortable and solid with my backhand.

my forehand lately on the other hand has been quite inconsistent. i noticed that im not bending my knees as much and my non hitting arm is really lazy. im trying to remedy this. im trying to remedy these at the moment but if there's anything else that you see that i can work on please let me know.

That is pretty much it. Stretch out the non-dominant arm to keep your rotating moving back into the ball. Fold it back in as you bring your racquet forward so you dont rotate away from the ball. Bend your knees and get your butt lower so you can have a natural rise through the shot. Also, by getting your non-dominant arm more involved, it will help you get your fron shoulder under your chin for a good rotation.

Bungalo Bill
10-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Hey BB,
No video sorry..:neutral:
I'm having a bit of trouble on my forehand lately..I seem to be wrist slapping the ball..what i mean by that is on my forward swing my wrist releases too early in my swing and just slaps the ball back into the court, getting little to no spin at all..causing a lot of inconsistency..hopefully you understand what i'm trying to say.

Do you know how to fix this problem? Any help appreciated, thx in advance. (sorry for the no video..i'll try to get one in by this next weekend).

Probably not rotating back through the ball with your rotation. This causes you to arm the ball and sort of slap at the ball. Got to refer to those 4 positions of "pat-the-dog-on-the-head" stuff here on these boards.

You rotate those shoulders for a purpose. Also, make sure you are bending at the knees and then rising from the knees as you hit through the ball.

Go through this video and watch the following (at 14 - 18 seconds, run it back and forth). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFibX-inICg

1. Gonzalez footwork. Feet stay apart during movement.

2. Gonzalez plants and uses his legs big time int he shot. Look at his head go down.

3. As he brings the racquet forward his shoulder is behind his stroke with elbow moving in front of the body plane. Full force and leverage is going to be timed at contact.

4. Head rises as he makes contact which means he is rising from the legs.

5. Goes through the ball.

6. Watch carefully how his non-dominant arm is involved and do not underestimate what that arm is doing. It is helping to control his rotation so the energy goes into the ball and not away from it by folding back into the body.

These are the fundamentals I preach over and over and over again. :)

Also, wrist release and WW are not the main show in his stroke. The main show is between 14 - 18 seconds in thei video. After he hits through the ball, he continues to relax and goes into the followthrough.

sheets
10-26-2009, 07:44 PM
On your first video, you can decide to work on the following. I enjoyed watching your energy, however, I do have something to say about that below:

1. Racquet backswing: Some of your shots sent the racquet head behind you. As you get better and face players that can really steam the ball, you will want to develop a consistent and a bit shorter backswing. What you want is for the racquet head to stay on the same side as your hitting arm. The more you move your racquet head away from your eyes, the harder it is for your brain to time the incoming ball to your swing. So, you might get away with it for slower more rally paced balls, but your backswing could pose a problem on faster paced balls. Also, when the ball comes in faster, work on your preparation (ball judgement, racquet preparation, balance, stance, positioning, etc...) so you don't have to make an out of control swing which at times makes you swing too big. This also goes for the onehanded backhand. When a swing is rushed, even if you really do have good technique, a player's technique can break down easily.

2. Use the smile pattern for your onehander. It is a simple rock the racquet and then rock the racquet back down and forward. It is such a simple backswing that the main reason why you do this is to keep the onehanded backhand as simple as possible increasing your chances to handle hard hit balls with good timing.

3. With the energy you have in your footwork and legs. Be careful that you do not rise suddenly or jump. You dumped a ball in the net because you jumped and changed the swing path slightly over the ball. Rise through the ball not over the ball. So your rising needs to help you lift the ball, dont rise and lift yourself over the ball. It is not a sudden jump and the majority of the "rise" happens after you hit the ball. So, calm down a bit there.

Much appreciated BB

aimr75
10-26-2009, 08:07 PM
BB, would really like some feedback from you on my backhand if you can:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4BIVKgyxzY

Thanks

karbelmusic
10-26-2009, 09:54 PM
hello thanks a lot for helping me on my forehand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxLFX0NMWXw

Please bill can i have your feedback. Thanks lot

KrossKourt
10-26-2009, 09:57 PM
That is pretty much it. Stretch out the non-dominant arm to keep your rotating moving back into the ball. Fold it back in as you bring your racquet forward so you dont rotate away from the ball. Bend your knees and get your butt lower so you can have a natural rise through the shot. Also, by getting your non-dominant arm more involved, it will help you get your fron shoulder under your chin for a good rotation.

hi BB,

I've worked on this tonight when I played and I've noticed I was a lot more consistent. Basically, I've watched this Andy Murray video and tried to emulate it as much as possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpNFxnShJ9o

But as I was hitting, my friend told me that my forehand shots werent really penetrating. My hitting partner is much taller and he told me that a lot of my balls were spinny and were sitting high.

How do I make my forehand shots more penetrating?

gzhpcu
10-26-2009, 10:39 PM
Was that a real short video? Hard to tell on that. However, right off the bat, you got to bend those knees more on those lower balls. Nice smooth stroke and it looked like "smile" hand pattern was in tact.

Would like to see you hit various kinds of balls to your backhand if you can.
Thanks for the feedback. :)

Mind looking at my forehand?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um88SSSA5S4

(my video software on my PC has a bug, and can't get it to create clips longer than a couple of seconds, sorry...)

EikelBeiter
10-27-2009, 02:02 AM
Yup. Eikel, you have good volleys, so it will be the little things that will help you continually improve. However, I enjoyed watching you hit volleys.

Thank you for the feedback! much appreciated!

Bungalo Bill
10-27-2009, 06:50 AM
hi BB,

I've worked on this tonight when I played and I've noticed I was a lot more consistent. Basically, I've watched this Andy Murray video and tried to emulate it as much as possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpNFxnShJ9o

Good.

But as I was hitting, my friend told me that my forehand shots werent really penetrating. My hitting partner is much taller and he told me that a lot of my balls were spinny and were sitting high.

How do I make my forehand shots more penetrating?

Give it time, it should not affect your ability to hit with penetration. Think about it. Should it? You are using your legs more (which is the purpose of the knee bend), and you are improving the use of your non-dominant arm which helps improve your rotation back into the ball. Perhaps, it is because you are thinking about it now and not swinging as fast.

Still, that can be a good thing depending on how you look at it. Maybe you were overhitting in the past and now you are more consistent because you are not overhitting. Work on consistency, moving the ball around and mixing up your shots. Stay within your means. But the non-dominant arm thing should feel relaxed, smooth, and right. Legs should be always involved.

larry10s
10-27-2009, 07:17 AM
1st Video:

1. Your hand path to get the racquet going up and forward travels a long way. Is it working for you? Very few people can make that hand path work at the club level and the pro level. That hand path probably was not as much an issue in the 70's as the ball travelled slower. But now days? If you are aving timing issues with your onehander, then move to using the smile pattern instead. It is much quicker and more efficient in getting that racquet moving forward and up then the loopy C pattern.

2. Improve your shoulder turn. Get that front shoulder more under the chin and vice versa on the followthrough.

That should be enough for now on the backhand.

ive been working on both those points . will try to get an updated video posted.

larry10s
10-27-2009, 07:25 AM
The main thing is in your legs. There are a few things in your backswing which will be difficult to describe in writing so I provided a video example.

First, your legs. The timing to shift your weight forward happens too soon. There is also not enough body weight over your legs forcing you to balance and support yourself over your toes with your thighs muscles engaged to support the upward and outward momentum.

Your racquet as you are takig it back turns sort of outward instead of keeping your palm side still facing your body. This is hard to describe so when you see Federer bring his racquet back and the tossed ball is out of sight, put your video in the same position and note the racquet position.

Federer is getting a lot of upward thrust by really loading his weight over his legs. With him on his toes the thrust upward is amplified and he gets that rotation going because of it. Watch the taek abck of the racquet and the use of the legs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWC1hcKBh4g&feature=related

the "wiggle" as i call it in the backswing of my serve has been a real problem to eradicate. you should have seen it 3-5 years ago!!! most pros tell me now that they dont see it as a major problem since i transition to trophy position and beyond smoothly. even tho they would still like me to eliminate it. do you agree? im finding when i try to incoroporate more leg bend and better chest angle up to the contact point my timing is not as smooth. but i will continue to work. thanks for the feedback and ill try to update with more recent video

KrossKourt
10-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Good.

Give it time, it should not affect your ability to hit with penetration. Think about it. Should it? You are using your legs more (which is the purpose of the knee bend), and you are improving the use of your non-dominant arm which helps improve your rotation back into the ball. Perhaps, it is because you are thinking about it now and not swinging as fast.

Still, that can be a good thing depending on how you look at it. Maybe you were overhitting in the past and now you are more consistent because you are not overhitting. Work on consistency, moving the ball around and mixing up your shots. Stay within your means. But the non-dominant arm thing should feel relaxed, smooth, and right. Legs should be always involved.

thank you BB

Bungalo Bill
10-27-2009, 11:08 AM
the "wiggle" as i call it in the backswing of my serve has been a real problem to eradicate. you should have seen it 3-5 years ago!!! most pros tell me now that they dont see it as a major problem since i transition to trophy position and beyond smoothly even tho they would still like me to eliminate it. do you agree?

Yes, I would agree.

But for us, the "going pro" window is long gone. :) So, now it depends on how badly you want those bragging rights at the club. It isn't a major thing, but to me it is also a pretty easy thing to fix from if you really want too. However, based on what you said above, I guess it might. :)

im finding when i try to incoroporate more leg bend and better chest angle up to the contact point my timing is not as smooth. but i will continue to work. thanks for the feedback and ill try to update with more recent video

It all goes together. Relaxation, motion, timing, toss, etc...etc..

revolutionary technique
10-27-2009, 03:58 PM
I am sorry for putting up the vid so late but I lost the usb cord that connects my camera to my PC. Finnaly here is the vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKbEo7eGjF4

here is another one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEWkDsyL0Rk

Thanks in advance.

I have a very big problem, I choke during matches. If I am playing with the people I usually play with I am fine, but when I play strangers I choke. I start to chop the ball and my ground stroke become shaky and my confidence decreases. I slice most of my bh during this circumstance. My serve and returns are the only things that are up to par.

What do you suggest is a way to stop chocking?

by the way I have a very small pool of hitting partners and recently started playing new players. Can this be a factor contributing to me chocking.

edwardx
11-03-2009, 06:07 AM
BB, could you please take a look at my thread and give advices on how to improve? I do see my problems, but don't know what drills I can use to force myself into the right movement.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=296181

And here is the video: http://vimeo.com/7404450

Thanks a lot!

Bungalo Bill
11-03-2009, 07:55 AM
I am sorry for putting up the vid so late but I lost the usb cord that connects my camera to my PC. Finnaly here is the vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKbEo7eGjF4

here is another one

On those backhands take note of that backswing you are using. The type of backswing you are using is more geared toward claycourt play. The slower bounce on clay allows more time for the hand to complete its path and bring the racquet forward through the ball.

Many pro players do not use that hand path which affords them to play on a variety of surfaces. It makes it much easier to get the racquet back and then forward allowing timing to improve on various surfaces.

If you are having trouble timing the ball and you are hitting late, look up the posts on "smile pattern" etc...

On the forehands, you are mainly slapping at the ball. The legs are not used in the shot which can contribute hitting over the ball.

Involve your legs more in the shot. Stop, plant, and rotate back into the ball. Too loose of an arm can sometimes become a whippy mess.

I have a very big problem, I choke during matches. If I am playing with the people I usually play with I am fine, but when I play strangers I choke. I start to chop the ball and my ground stroke become shaky and my confidence decreases. I slice most of my bh during this circumstance. My serve and returns are the only things that are up to par.

What do you suggest is a way to stop chocking?

by the way I have a very small pool of hitting partners and recently started playing new players. Can this be a factor contributing to me chocking.

There are some players who have real nice strokes when practicing, however, when they are in a match, their strokes change and they become more of a pusher.

I worked with a player like this in Boise and the cure was to increase his confidence and not be afraid to lose. Instead of just a win or a loss for his stats, we emphasized other goals in the game like double fault percentage, placement stats, forehand and backhand errors, putaway shots, etc...anything to get his tendency to get trapped in the win/loss stat without considering that even if he loses, he can still have a successful match in other categories.

The other thing we did is increased the intensity of the on-court workouts and drills dramatically. This was the most important thing we did. Failure was the key word in these workouts. I built the drills and on-court practices towards beating him through failure. I know that sounds mean but it was the best thing for him. At first, he felt defeated, his game stunk, and he felt a bit demoralized. However, it is important as a coach that you issue "tough-love" and encouragement through them. The goal is to get him to come back out for one more day and for him not to quit.

He didn't quit, even though it was tough as hell, and in the end he triumphed, got way over his fear of losing and his confidence just soared.

Now, he looks at matches like meals, looking forward to eating his opponent alive. The drive, the dtermination, and the focus is so intense, it scares the bejesus out of his opponent. hahaha.

Tyrus
11-03-2009, 02:21 PM
Hey BB. I started a thread a couple days ago to see if i could adjust my game and create more pace and punish weak balls. In there i posted some videos and Jrod recommended i post them to this thread for some useful advice.

The Thread: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=4075801#post4075801

My Strokes:
FH - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_zPECEV8dY
BH - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSotPoIFdSw

Cheers
-Ty

Bungalo Bill
11-04-2009, 06:53 PM
BB, could you please take a look at my thread and give advices on how to improve? I do see my problems, but don't know what drills I can use to force myself into the right movement.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=296181

And here is the video: http://vimeo.com/7404450

Thanks a lot! Yup, I will look at it! Looking at it now.

Bungalo Bill
11-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Hey BB. I started a thread a couple days ago to see if i could adjust my game and create more pace and punish weak balls. In there i posted some videos and Jrod recommended i post them to this thread for some useful advice.

The Thread: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=4075801#post4075801

My Strokes:
FH - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_zPECEV8dY
BH - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSotPoIFdSw

Cheers
-Ty

Tyrus,

The following are my suggestions:

BACKHAND

Okay, this is going to be up to you. If you do decide to change, don't expect it to be overnight.

On your backswing, you have a large loop going that tends to cause your racquet to just start rising when you meet the ball. So, in other words, you are meeting the ball rather flat. Your backswing also has a tendency for you to meet the ball slightly late.

Try using the smile pattern for your twohanded backhand. Many pro players use this simple backswing to simply get the racquet back and then bring it down, forward, and then up to contact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lprXfmylnOw&feature=channel

Work on your conditioning. Work harder at it. Strength and conditioning training is what you need to step up. Also, on court drills that really kick your butt need to start happening. Enough with the stand at the baseline and hit the ball back. You need to pick it up.

Watch your feet on the backhand. Keep them moving and somewhat pivotal so when you plant and step toward the ball your hips can open up toward the net. Watch Agassi here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql5xVpACt1Y

More on the smile pattern for the backhand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsMLBAKn9MU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJpmtCm70Vc&feature=related

FOREHAND

More of the same on conditioning and hardcore training. Start training - hard.

You need to bend at the knees more to get the racquet lower. Dont just drop the racquet or droop it. The legs need to lower your butt and raise your butt through the shot.

Your non-dominant arm usage is okay. When you bring the racquet back, outstretch your hand to hold your coiling slightly longer, then when you pull the trigger to come forward you fold your arm back into the body. Just keep working at it. Also, this will help you get a more consistent shoulder turn.

Bungalo Bill
11-04-2009, 10:05 PM
just got bumped up

aimr75
11-04-2009, 10:10 PM
BB, would really like some feedback from you on my backhand if you can:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4BIVKgyxzY

Thanks

BB, you may have missed this, can you take a look?

Tyrus
11-05-2009, 08:24 AM
EDIT: Getting a bit tired tonight Tyrus. I do want to review them, so it will have to be tommorow.

No hurry, no worries, you are doing this community a huge favor w/ this.

-Ty

Bungalo Bill
11-05-2009, 08:33 AM

Got it! Will look at it tonight!

Bungalo Bill
11-05-2009, 08:34 AM
No hurry, no worries, you are doing this community a huge favor w/ this.

-Ty

No problem. I like doing it and hopefully seeing you folks play better tennis. I will get them tonight when I get home.

Bungalo Bill
11-05-2009, 05:27 PM

Aimr75,

You really have a nice backhand. Good fundamentals in using the smile pattern, L shape through the ball, and excellent extension.

The main issue really is in your legs and slightly in your weight transfer. I just dont see a strong enough effort moving your weight over your front leg for extra pop. I also don't see enough thrust and knee bend for the shot either. You got caught backfoot hitting that higher ball and was leaning back some. More aggressive use of the legs is what I would suggest to train that lower body.

I would suggest moving into tough physical training with your strokes to help you.

aimr75
11-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Aimr75,

You really have a nice backhand. Good fundamentals in using the smile pattern, L shape through the ball, and excellent extension.

The main issue really is in your legs and slightly in your weight transfer. I just dont see a strong enough effort moving your weight over your front leg for extra pop. I also don't see enough thrust and knee bend for the shot either. You got caught backfoot hitting that higher ball and was leaning back some. More aggressive use of the legs is what I would suggest to train that lower body.

I would suggest moving into tough physical training with your strokes to help you.

Thanks BB.. yes, i have been too laid back in my efforts to begin improving my fitness and conditioning.. I have however just recently started looking into interval training and will incorporate some weight training as well.. so i will try and improve in this area and hopefully my game will pick up as a result

Bungalo Bill
11-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Thanks BB.. yes, i have been too laid back in my efforts to begin improving my fitness and conditioning.. I have however just recently started looking into interval training and will incorporate some weight training as well.. so i will try and improve in this area and hopefully my game will pick up as a result

You guys that are in the advanced levels or getting out of intermediates really need to find a coach that will bring together your physical conditioning training and your technique. Your game will soar once you get past the valley of death. :) Court drills, ball drills all of it needs to pick up in intensity and discipline.

Tyrus
11-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Tyrus,

The following are my suggestions:

BACKHAND

Okay, this is going to be up to you. If you do decide to change, don't expect it to be overnight.

On your backswing, you have a large loop going that tends to cause your racquet to just start rising when you meet the ball. So, in other words, you are meeting the ball rather flat. Your backswing also has a tendency for you to meet the ball slightly late.

Try using the smile pattern for your twohanded backhand. Many pro players use this simple backswing to simply get the racquet back and then bring it down, forward, and then up to contact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lprXfmylnOw&feature=channel

Work on your conditioning. Work harder at it. Strength and conditioning training is what you need to step up. Also, on court drills that really kick your butt need to start happening. Enough with the stand at the baseline and hit the ball back. You need to pick it up.

Watch your feet on the backhand. Keep them moving and somewhat pivotal so when you plant and step toward the ball your hips can open up toward the net. Watch Agassi here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql5xVpACt1Y

More on the smile pattern for the backhand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsMLBAKn9MU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJpmtCm70Vc&feature=related

FOREHAND

More of the same on conditioning and hardcore training. Start training - hard.

You need to bend at the knees more to get the racquet lower. Dont just drop the racquet or droop it. The legs need to lower your butt and raise your butt through the shot.

Your non-dominant arm usage is okay. When you bring the racquet back, outstretch your hand to hold your coiling slightly longer, then when you pull the trigger to come forward you fold your arm back into the body. Just keep working at it. Also, this will help you get a more consistent shoulder turn.

Thanks mate, will keep you updated as I progress.

Cody
11-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Just thought i'd bring this back,

I need advice on my serve Bungalow Bill, the holidays are coming up and i will be down the courts much more.

Here is the thread: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=297927

Thanks Cody

Quikj
11-16-2009, 08:24 AM
Hey BB, you truly are an invaluable resource on this board and I'm sure I speak for many on this forum in saying thank you for your time and generosity. I recently started a thread about my forehand and I'd appreciate your feedback on my stroke.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=298112

CharlieB
11-16-2009, 10:15 AM
If I promised to look and provide advice to your videos, please accept my apoligies but I dont remember the threads on where they are located. Pop it up by posting something in them, and I will take a look. If I miss it, keep popping it up. I am not trying to avoid you or not do it. I want to give you advice and want to look at them to see if I can help.

Could you please take a look at my son's short video and provide feedback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUJDs2sUtfo

Cheers,

Charlie

Bungalo Bill
11-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Hey BB, you truly are an invaluable resource on this board and I'm sure I speak for many on this forum in saying thank you for your time and generosity. I recently started a thread about my forehand and I'd appreciate your feedback on my stroke.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=298112

Thanks Quickj, I posted info on your stroke. Very nice forehand, keep incorporating the fundamentals.

Cody
11-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Just thought i'd bring this back,

I need advice on my serve Bungalow Bill, the holidays are coming up and i will be down the courts much more.

Here is the thread: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=297927

Thanks Cody

Bumped for you Bill :)

Bungalo Bill
11-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Could you please take a look at my son's short video and provide feedback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUJDs2sUtfo

Cheers,

Charlie

Very nice Charlie. I bet you are proud of your son. Perhaps soon we will see him win the US Open? ;)

For players liked these with advanced strokes and have developed their style, the fundamentals and not losing site of them are always something to work on.

Continuing to stress the fundamentals allows a player to still grow but keeps them from getting out of whack and developing bad habits which over time can be very hard to undo.

The main thing when the ball starts picking up pace is to:

1. Make sure he continues to get a good shoulder turn on both sides and on as many balls as possible.

2. Use the non-dominant ar a bit more on the forehand. Outstretch it more.

3. He needs to work on the mental side of his game. On some of his shots he needs to recover quicker. He also needs to practice footspeed and get to the recovery position quicker.

He needs to recover immediately to close off the court and begin analyzing what his opponent is doing with the ball to get a jump on the ball.

babolat141
11-16-2009, 11:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OytnCljIUFA

There are two angles of me hitting and i think that my takeback looks way to long and loopy.

I think my follow through looks very sloppy and loose and i think my shoulder are turning to late...

what do you think?

Bungalo Bill
11-16-2009, 01:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OytnCljIUFA

There are two angles of me hitting and i think that my takeback looks way to long and loopy.

I think my follow through looks very sloppy and loose and i think my shoulder are turning to late...

what do you think?

It is just normal stuff:

1. Work on bringing your back shoulder through the ball.

2. Extend your non-dominant arm and allow it to flow through the contact zone before folding it back into the body. This will help you to not overrotate.

3. Your followthrough is excessive but I am not one to criticize a followthrough unless it is excessive. I dont criticize it because I believe the most important thing is what happens before the followthrough. Plus, players can have slightly different followthroughs although they falll into different types of followthroughs. Yours is a bit excessive to me for a player that is still developing, therefore, I would recommend a little discipline for it just to taper it down. Learn to catch your racquet in your followthrough. Once you get that down, then you can let it go a bit for a good followthrough. It is up to you.

CharlieB
11-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Thank you very much BB, your comments are very accurate. He is indeed quick but needs to learn how to anticipate a bit more, and recover faster. I think that as of now he learned the basic strokes well and he has a solid base to improve upon. Again, thank you!