PDA

View Full Version : Better backhand Djokovic or Murray?

Cesc Fabregas
10-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Both have excellent 2 handers, which one is better?

akv89
10-22-2009, 12:16 PM
I think Murray's. Just as much power, slightly more consistency, and better slice.

Cesc Fabregas
10-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Djokovic's seems more effective on clay, maybe that might give him the edge?

IvanAndreevich
10-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Hard to say. I'd give it to Murray by a hair.

Arailic
10-22-2009, 12:41 PM
I give to Nole! It won him a GS; could not say that about Murray! Time will tell as the future is uncertain.

paulorenzo
10-22-2009, 12:45 PM
i was watching the tennis channel today with a rewind match of djokovic and wawrinka, it was a backhand buffet. djokovic's two fisted shot is a machine.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Both have excellent 2 handers, which one is better?
Very tough one Cesc, id say the power is about the same, Murray`s is maybe a bit more consistent and his slice is better than Djokovic`s, and also id say that Murray changes from Backhand to slice at better moments than Djokovic...

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-22-2009, 12:46 PM
I give to Nole! It won him a GS;
Murray is a much better tennisplayer than Djokovic, a sick Federer and nervous headcase first-time-slam-finalist Tsonga gave him a GS.

paulorenzo
10-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Very tough one Cesc, id say the power is about the same, Murray`s is maybe a bit more consistent and his slice is better than Djokovic`s, and also id say that Murray changes from Backhand to slice at better moments than Djokovic...

murray's backhand tends to break down, especially when he is pressured from the baseline and not given a rhythm. like federer vs murray in cincinnati.

IvanAndreevich
10-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Murray is a much better tennisplayer than Djokovic, a sick Federer and nervous headcase first-time-slam-finalist Tsonga gave him a GS.

Djokovic is #3, Murray is #4. If he's so much better why isn't he doing better?

Cesc Fabregas
10-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Tbh I have never seen Djoker's backhand break down.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-22-2009, 12:55 PM
murray's backhand tends to break down, especially when he is pressured from the baseline and not given a rhythm. like federer vs murray in cincinnati.

So did Djokovics one day later, you really should know that! And EVERY players backhand breaks down when being under that kind of pressure Fed can put on you.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-22-2009, 12:56 PM
Djokovic is #3, Murray is #4. If he's so much better why isn't he doing better?
Ok, he is not a much better player, but imo he is a better player, the rankings go back and forth from week to week, you shouldnt stare yourself blind on the rankings. Look at h2h instead. Besides Murray has been injured, Nole has not.

rnrockz1
10-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Novak all the way- consistency is why.

IvanAndreevich
10-22-2009, 01:07 PM
Ok, he is not a much better player, but imo he is a better player, the rankings go back and forth from week to week, you shouldnt stare yourself blind on the rankings. Look at h2h instead. Besides Murray has been injured, Nole has not.

I just think that if you look at the two players stroke wise, Djokovic has the better forehand. Since Murray is just as good from the baseline, it's reasonable to say that his backhand is probably a bit better. Otherwise, how would he ever keep up.

Cesc Fabregas
10-22-2009, 01:10 PM
I just think that if you look at the two players stroke wise, Djokovic has the better forehand. Since Murray is just as good from the baseline, it's reasonable to say that his backhand is probably a bit better. Otherwise, how would he ever keep up.

I think Djokovic is the better baseliner, but Murray has the better defence and more variety.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Well , but since he has beaten Djokovic the 3 last times they played without dropping a set maybe you need to question what you just wrote a bit?

paulorenzo
10-22-2009, 01:18 PM
So did Djokovics one day later, you really should know that! And EVERY players backhand breaks down when being under that kind of pressure Fed can put on you.

no it didn't dude. djokovic played a poor transition game and had an off firing forehand. his backhand was fine.

federer was killing murray's confidence on his backhand side, it's a different story for novak.

but, boy, fed was playing beautifully in those two matches, his forehands against murray were huge.

P_Agony
10-22-2009, 01:18 PM
Djokovic by a slight edge.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-22-2009, 01:20 PM
no it didn't dude. djokovic played a poor transition game and had an off firing forehand. his backhand was fine.

federer was killing murray's confidence on his backhand side, it's a different story for novak.

but, boy, fed was playing beautifully in those two matches, his forehands against murray were huge.
Yes, well as far as i am concerned Fed sort of told them "pick which of your shot you want me to break down" you know :) Forehand? Backhand? Doesnt matter, he will make it break down.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-22-2009, 01:21 PM
except that novak owned murray until djokovic found himself in the dumps.
...or until Murray found out how to play Novak?

IvanAndreevich
10-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Well , but since he has beaten Djokovic the 3 last times they played without dropping a set maybe you need to question what you just wrote a bit?

I think it comes down to Djokovic's forehand being very very poor for the whole of 2009 pretty much.

paulorenzo
10-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Yes, well as far as i am concerned Fed sort of told them "pick which of your shot you want me to break down" you know :) Forehand? Backhand? Doesnt matter, he will make it break down.

honestly, that was the best i've seen fed play from the baseline all year, always willing to run around his backhand every time to go for a huge forehand.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Oh, so that's how Federer owns murray......................
I was talking about Fed in Cincy

paulorenzo
10-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Oh, so that's how Federer owns murray......................

as of recently, yes.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-22-2009, 01:24 PM
honestly, that was the best i've seen fed play from the baseline all year, always willing to run around his backhand every time to go for a huge forehand.
I agree, i dont think Fed played as good in USO as he did in Cincy except maybe for the first 2 sets vs Soderling, THAT was good stuff! :shock:

paulorenzo
10-22-2009, 01:27 PM
i will say one thing though, if murray is in a groove with his backhand, he is more versatile with it than djokovic. but i still give the edge to djokovic since his is less susceptible to breaking down than murrays.

yellowoctopus
10-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Djokovic's seems more effective on clay, maybe that might give him the edge?

Currently Djokovic is just more effective than Murray on clay. This is primarily due to the footwork on clay--the lack thereof on Murray's part.

NamRanger
10-22-2009, 03:23 PM

Djokovic at least can beat who he is supposed to beat most of the time. Andy Murray can't even get past headcase Verdasco at the AO, nor Marian Cilic. Even as bad as Djokovic has played recently, he's STILL world #3.

GraniteHoosier
10-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Have to go with Murray on this one, but just barely. Djokovic's slice is still not that effective, if he improves that shot then I would give him the nod.
Murray's problem is his forehand, he can't dictate play with it like the other top players.

matchmaker
10-22-2009, 03:33 PM
This is a really tough one.

These are the best twohanders on the circuit together with Nalbandian.

I would give the edge on the offense to Djokovic and on the defense to Murray.

akv89
10-22-2009, 04:00 PM
Tbh I have never seen Djoker's backhand break down.

What about against Gulbis in Brisbane, or Roddick in Indian Wells, or Kohlschreiber at RG? A lot of UE from both wings in those matches from Djokovic.

LiveForever
10-22-2009, 04:02 PM
Murray has tremendous variety on his backhand. He can do things with that Djokovic cant. However Novak's backhand is much more lethal and powerful. I would say Murray by a little.

NamRanger
10-22-2009, 08:07 PM
What about against Gulbis in Brisbane, or Roddick in Indian Wells, or Kohlschreiber at RG? A lot of UE from both wings in those matches from Djokovic.

To be quite fair he didn't even show up against Roddick in Indian Wells. He was literally just motionless.

nereis
10-22-2009, 11:30 PM
Murray is much more comfortable rallying of that wing all day long, which is why he has such a good record against Federer. The sheer variety he has in addition to the deceiving amount of pace he can get off the two hander is really noticable.

Djokovic on the other hand has always been about taking sharp angles and changing the direction of the ball, stepping in, spreading the court out and really dictating play. In my opinion, his game is much more about the big forehand matched with a consistant backhand, and the difference between him and Murray is that Djokovic will always look to end the point with the forehand after punching with the backhand. That to me says that he has less faith in his backhand than Murray, he will often go for a big flat backhand on short balls.

dropshot winner
10-23-2009, 12:10 AM
Tough choice.

I think Murray has the edge as he has one of the best slices on tour, Djokovic's slice is just average.
The only thing Djokovic does clearly better is apply topspin, which helps on clay.

An inform Nalbandian, as rare as that happens, smokes them both off the backhand-side.

prosealster
10-23-2009, 04:02 AM
good question...murray by a hair IMHO...for the variety and consistency.....

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-23-2009, 05:31 AM
Djokovic at least can beat who he is supposed to beat most of the time. Andy Murray can't even get past headcase Verdasco at the AO, nor Marian Cilic. Even as bad as Djokovic has played recently, he's STILL world #3.
Well hey! How about getting past Kohlschreiber at RG and Tommy veteran Haas at Wimbledon for a start?

NamRanger
10-23-2009, 06:51 AM
Well hey! How about getting past Kohlschreiber at RG and Tommy veteran Haas at Wimbledon for a start?

Well consider this :

1. Andy Murray has played excellent EVERYWHERE except the HC slams (at Wimbledon and RG he performed well though).

2. Djokovic has been playing horribly the entire year.

And yet Djokovic still manages to topple Andy Murray in the ranking. Just imagine if Djokovic actually decided to stop retiring in the middle of matches. That's a scary thought. I don't even like the guy either, but I'm not going to diss his game.

NamRanger
10-23-2009, 06:58 AM
Yeah, but you don't even need to use the rankings and form to prove that Djokovic is actually the better player. When you get right down to it, djokovic has what it takes to win a slam - he's proved it. Murray consistently fails against players who he is meant to beat in straight sets - except for roddick who he was meant to win in 4.

If djokovic wakes up/changes coaches/reverts back to his old racket and sorts his tennis out then i believe that he will be number 1 someday. Djokovic didn't beat Fed in AO in straight sets for nothing....................

I don't think he can be world #1 in the world unless Federer and Nadal somehow disappear off the face of the planet, but he definitely has the game to win more slams.

NamRanger
10-23-2009, 07:00 AM
Murray got to #2 without any slams. Djokovic can certainly get to #1

Yeah but he wasn't world #1. If Federer and Nadal stick around for the next 2-3 years, it will be hard for Djokovic to gain points anywhere. By the time they leave, the next generation of players should have cropped up, and guys like Del Potro will be even better.

thejoe
10-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Mmm, I think they have the best 2 backhands on tour. Does that mean I don't have to decide between them? :p

Gugafan
10-23-2009, 07:16 PM
Wow the poll couldnt be any tighter..2 votes seperates it!

When comparing the two backhands you have to distinguish between ablility to generate pace and ability to direct pace. Murray is great at hitting backhand winners on the run and passing shots. Djokovic on the other hand can create pace more easily almost like Safin. I guess technique wise Murrays looks abit smoother and his backhand return is one of the best in the buisness.

sh@de
10-24-2009, 12:36 AM
I say Djokovic.

zagor
10-24-2009, 01:10 AM
Let's not act like losses to Kolhschreiber and Haas are of the same weight.

First of all grass is Novak's worst surface while clay is his second best by far so you'd expect him to be more of a contender and go deeper at FO than Wimbledon.

Second he was the only guy who stood toe to toe with Nadal for much of the clay season while in Halle he almost lost to Serra(had to save 5 MPs)and then lost to Haas in the final(6-1 in the last set).

And last Kohlschreiber lost to Robredo in the next round(after he beat Novak)while Haas reached Wimbloedon SF playing some spectacular S&V tennis so he was in much better form than Philip.

For all those reasons IMO loss to Kolhschreiber was much worse than loss to Haas(which many people actually expected to happen).

abmk
10-24-2009, 01:22 AM
Let's not act like losses to Kolhschreiber and Haas are of the same weight.

First of all grass is Novak's worst surface while clay is his second best by far so you'd expect him to be more of a contender and go deeper at FO than Wimbledon.

Second he was the only guy who stood toe to toe with Nadal for much of the clay season while in Halle he almost lost to Serra(had to save 5 MPs)and then lost to Haas in the final(6-1 in the last set).

And last Kohlschreiber lost to Robredo in the next round(after he beat Novak)while Haas reached Wimbloedon SF playing some spectacular S&V tennis so he was in much better form than Philip.

For all those reasons IMO loss to Kolhschreiber was much worse than loss to Haas(which many people actually expected to happen).

Agree totally, in fact the way haas was playing I expected him to beat djokovic at wimby and he did

abmk
10-24-2009, 01:27 AM
murray by a slim margin

novak's BH DTL hasn't really showed up much recently

Leelord337
10-24-2009, 01:29 AM
I think davydenko's is up there too

batz
10-24-2009, 02:16 AM
Well consider this :

1. Andy Murray has played excellent EVERYWHERE except the HC slams (at Wimbledon and RG he performed well though).

2. Djokovic has been playing horribly the entire year.

And yet Djokovic still manages to topple Andy Murray in the ranking. Just imagine if Djokovic actually decided to stop retiring in the middle of matches. That's a scary thought. I don't even like the guy either, but I'm not going to diss his game.

If winning 3 titles and making 4 masters series finals (only Rafa has made more) is 'playing horribly' then just about every pro on the planet would love to play as horribly.

Murray's backhand by a bawhair.

sh@de
10-24-2009, 09:09 AM
If winning 3 titles and making 4 masters series finals (only Rafa has made more) is 'playing horribly' then just about every pro on the planet would love to play as horribly.

Murray's backhand by a bawhair.

Yes but it was horrible by his standards. That's what counts.

fps
10-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Murray hasn't brought his entire backhand game to the court yet. he could dominate people off that side if he started to redirect the ball like Nalbandian on the topspin backhand. i'm sure he can do it, and we just haven't seen it yet. too much slice. fortune favours the brave, he needs to step up to the attacking plate on that side in his next slam quarter/ semi.

DarthFed
10-24-2009, 02:18 PM
I'm going to have to go with Novak by a hair.