PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 players of 2012

P_Agony
10-22-2009, 02:29 PM
The year is 2012, and the world of tennis is exciting as ever. Who do you think will be the dominant 5 players in that year?

I think Murray and Del Potro will stay at the top 5. Federer, I'm not sure he'll even play by then, and I think Cilic will also become a top 5 player. Nadal is a tough call at the moment with his injurries and style of play. Djokovic is a good possibility.

lambielspins
10-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Federer
Murray
Djokovic
Del Potro
Dimitrov

Nadal by that point will be maybe top 10 but not more and definitely wont be winning any slams past maybe 2012 French as his last chance. Djokovic seems to be flatlining for awhile now and that wont keep him in the top 5 forever if it continues. I even thought of replacing Murray with other. I honestly think Federer and Del Potro are the most likely to be in the top 5 in 2012 of the current group.

P_Agony
10-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Federer
Murray
Djokovic
Del Potro
Dimitrov

Nadal by that point will be maybe top 10 but not more and definitely wont be winning any slams past maybe 2012 French as his last chance. Djokovic seems to be flatlining for awhile now and that wont keep him in the top 5 forever if it continues. I even thought of replacing Murray with other. I honestly think Federer and Del Potro are the most likely to be in the top 5 in 2012 of the current group.

Nice prediction, when that year comes it'll be nice if we remember this thread to see who was close and who wasn't.

However, do you think Fed will be playing competitive tennis by then? I know he said he wants to stay for the next Olympic games, but still, it's a long time from now.

lambielspins
10-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Nice prediction, when that year comes it'll be nice if we remember this thread to see who was close and who wasn't.

However, do you think Fed will be playing competitive tennis by then? I know he said he wants to stay for the next Olympic games, but still, it's a long time from now.

I think Federer will be playing until atleast 2012. If he wants to play until the next Olympics he will play out the 2012 season atleast. I have heard him mention maybe staying until 2016, though I am not sure if he would be top 5 by then if he did. I actually dont think he has declined much physically with age, mostly mentally he was shaken a bit. His game isnt that taxing on the body and I think he can play well into his 30th more likely than Nadal can past 25/26 as his body is showing the effects of his playing style and stupid scheduling.

P_Agony
10-22-2009, 02:39 PM
I think Federer will be playing until atleast 2012. If he wants to play until the next Olympics he will play out the 2012 season atleast. I have heard him mention maybe staying until 2016, though I am not sure if he would be top 5 by then if he did. I actually dont think he has declined much physically with age, mostly mentally he was shaken a bit. His game isnt that taxing on the body and I think he can play well into his 30th more likely than Nadal can past 25/26 as his body is showing the effects of his playing style and stupid scheduling.

Wow, if he plays until 2016, that'd be insane. I wonder how many more slams he'll win until then if any. Speaking of slams, how many do you think each of your top 5 will win by 2012?

TheFifthSet
10-22-2009, 02:45 PM
In no order:

Dimitrov, Del Potro, Djokovic, Cilic, Federer. Maybe Nadal, not sure if his knees can hold up.

Of course, somebody will probably bump this up in 3 years and probably make me look stupid. :P

In actuality I think at least one currently unknown player will be top 5 in 2012. However, if I had to choose from the current crop of players, those would be my picks.

lambielspins
10-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Wow, if he plays until 2016, that'd be insane. I wonder how many more slams he'll win until then if any. Speaking of slams, how many do you think each of your top 5 will win by 2012?

Here is my random guess of that:

Federer 5- 1 Australian Open, 2 Wimbledons, 2 U.S Opens
Del Potro 3- 1 Australian Open, 1 French Open, 1 U.S Open
Murray 2- 1 Australian Open, 1 Wimbledon
Djokovic 1- 1 French Open
Nadal 1- 1 French Open

I dont see Nadal winning another hard court slam, and Djokovic will have a hard time doing it as while hard courts is his best surface he is starting to lose ground to the other top hard court players. I see Federer, Del Potro, Murray, and maybe Cilic being the main contenders for hard court slams in the near future. At Wimbledon it is between Federer, Murray, and maybe Nadal and Roddick, and maybe even Cilic since his hard flat strokes should work well on grass. The French Open wiill not see complete Nadal dominance continue since he just isnt the same player anymore and Del Potro and Djokovic are improving on clay. Nadal, Federer, Del Potro, Djokovic will all be title contenders there in the next few years.

_maxi
10-22-2009, 11:19 PM
No order:

Federer
Murray
Del potro
Tsonga
Other <- someone else.. maybe verdasco, soderling... or Nalbandian XD

jamesblakefan#1
10-22-2009, 11:21 PM
No one. The world will end in 2012! :shock:

:lol:

akv89
10-22-2009, 11:44 PM
The current top 5 looks pretty stable. It might be possible for them to stay there even after a couple years. Really depends on how Federer ages, Nadal's injuries, and Del Potro's motivation and the injuries that no doubt await him.

lawrence
10-22-2009, 11:46 PM
No one. The world will end in 2012! :shock:

:lol:

but it's ending in december! so we still get a full calendar year :D

by the way, if the world does end in 2012, roger may actually go down as the GOAT. since there will be no contenders to play after him, seeing as there will be no world left haha

srinrajesh
10-23-2009, 12:16 AM
the top 4 would be a combination of Nadal, Murray, Del Potro, Djokovic

The 5th player could be a toss up between Cilic , Federer, Tsonga, Monfils....

prattle128
10-23-2009, 12:36 AM
Verdasco will have been #1 with 2 slams by that time

8pNADAL
10-23-2009, 01:07 AM
nadals final slam will be 2019

grafselesfan
10-23-2009, 01:08 AM
nadals final slam will be 2019

I love Nadal but get off the crack please.

TheFifthSet
10-23-2009, 01:46 AM
I love Nadal but get off the crack please.

Happy 3,000. :)

FlamEnemY
10-23-2009, 02:22 AM
All of these are bold predictions, but...

Del Potro - I'm almost certain. I see him like a milestone standing there, waiting for someone to challenge him.

Djokovic - I don't believe he will fade away. He would have done it this year if he was going to. That's why I pick him to stay in the top 5 and compete for slams.

Federer - IF he plays, he's in the top 5. If he decides to call it quits, then fine. But he won't allow himself to stay away from the top. Number 2 was like a disaster for him after all :)

Dimitrov - more like wishful thinking. Talented and passionate, I definetily hope he'll be our next sports star... Just hope Lundgren knows what he's doing.

And other. No Murray, no Nadal. Sorry folks, just don't see it. They both will probably stay in the top 10. Murray probably ranked higher than Nadal. *
Ok, let's revive this thread in 2012 :)

*scratch that. Nadal may actually replace the 'other' in my picks.

grafselesfan
10-23-2009, 03:45 AM
I kind of see Roddick as a pointless option. In 2012 Roddick will be 29 and 30 years old. Only really great players tend to be ranked so high at that age. Roddick is an excellent player but not a major great of tennis. Plus he hasnt ended a year in the top 5 since 2005 now. The current top 5 are clearly stronger than him right now, some of them are having dissapointing years like Murray and Djokovic, and they are still far clear of him points wise. I cant imagine anyone of the current top 5 he will ever be ranked over again, never mind some of the others who could surpass some of the current top 5 in the rankings in the future at some point, particularly those likely/possibly to go in decline by then.

You might as well include Monfils as an option before Roddick. I dont neccessarily think Monfils is the better player, nor will he neccessarily have as good a career as Roddick. In fact I think he probably wont. However there is still more chance of him being in the top 5 that far down the future than Roddick since he is young enough to improve alot more and he wont be 30 in 2012 like Roddick.

grafselesfan
10-23-2009, 04:16 AM
Seeing as Roddick played the tournament of his life this year i would say it is a good option to have him in the poll. Yes consistently he was better in 2003 and 04 but wimbledon 09 prove that he still has it.

What has he done since Wimbledon though? I actually respect Roddick alot. He does not get his due on these boards from many people. He is an overachiever through hard work and determination, well other than firing Gilbert which is the one place he faltered and underachieved in a sense. However he wont be anywhere near the top 5 at age 30. He already is past his best overall, this year he played an amazing Wimbledon but he has a ton of what would used to be "bad losses" on hard courts also. Just look at all the guys he has lost to on hard courts the last 2 years alone. Even at Wimbledon he hadnt done that well since 2005 until this year. As he gets older the decline will only increase and younger players will only move in more and more.
And like I said despite his efforts at Wimbledon he isnt even close to being ranked in the top 5 now points wise, and the 5 that are currently there are 5 he is almost certain to never be ranked over again barring a major injury, let alone be ranked over any of them at age 30 (and those 5 arent even certain to be the top 5 by 2012 either).

Davydenko and Roddick are the only 2 of the true old gaurd apart from Federer hanging in there, Gonzalez to a lesser degree too. However apart from Federer the time on those others is running out.

5th Element
10-23-2009, 04:38 AM
After his recent troubles I wouldn't be surprised to see Baghdatis making the top 5 by 2012. A long shot I know, but he's got the game.

My list is:

- Federer
- Del Potro
- Djokovic
- Nadal (slight doubt about fitness but will still be there or thereabouts)
- Baghdatis
Not Murray

Fr4Nc0
10-23-2009, 05:49 AM
[QUOTE=TheFifthSet;4048105]In no order:

Dimitrov, Del Potro, Djokovic, Cilic, Federer. Maybe Nadal, not sure if his knees can hold up.

Of course, somebody will probably bump this up in 3 years and probably make me look stupid. :P

In actuality I think at least one currently unknown player will be top 5 in 2012. However, if I had to choose from the current crop of players, those would be my picks.[/QUO

Who on earth is Dimitrov?

P_Agony
10-23-2009, 06:47 AM
I kind of see Roddick as a pointless option. In 2012 Roddick will be 29 and 30 years old. Only really great players tend to be ranked so high at that age. Roddick is an excellent player but not a major great of tennis. Plus he hasnt ended a year in the top 5 since 2005 now. The current top 5 are clearly stronger than him right now, some of them are having dissapointing years like Murray and Djokovic, and they are still far clear of him points wise. I cant imagine anyone of the current top 5 he will ever be ranked over again, never mind some of the others who could surpass some of the current top 5 in the rankings in the future at some point, particularly those likely/possibly to go in decline by then.

You might as well include Monfils as an option before Roddick. I dont neccessarily think Monfils is the better player, nor will he neccessarily have as good a career as Roddick. In fact I think he probably wont. However there is still more chance of him being in the top 5 that far down the future than Roddick since he is young enough to improve alot more and he wont be 30 in 2012 like Roddick.

You make some good points, butkeep in mind that Roddic always stayed at the top or near the top. He's also been very solid this year, one of he best years of his career. If he can keep that consistency, he just might be there in 2012. He's got a chance, just like Federer (Roddick I think is even younger than Fed).

NamRanger
10-23-2009, 06:55 AM
I would say that this has been his 4th best year. If you look at the results. This year wouldn't have been so good hadn't it been for wimbledon. Roddick can improve though and he can challenge the top guys. This tool grafeslesfan doesn't know anything...........

gsf is subject to bias interpretation of things as everyone else here is on Tennis-Warehouse, but gsf knows more about tennis than the majority of fans here do, on both the mens and women's side.

Ledigs
10-23-2009, 07:44 AM
You guys are surprising. Year end 2012 will gave no Murray, djoke or federer in top 5. Del potro and nadal depend on how they do in 2010. much competition coming from unknowns

boredone3456
10-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Honestly I think by then we will see a huge shift in the game, Djokovic, Fed, Nadal, Murray will not all still be in the top 5 in 3 years in my opnion...could be wrong but thats my thought. I would say (in no particular order):

Fed- he is steady, he may not always win the final but he is very consistant in getting there, has had little trouble with his physical health in general apart from the Mono in early 2008, if he wants to stay there, I think he has a good chance to.

Del Potro- US Open 2009 will prove to be his break through, I think he may struggle a bit during 2010 and maybe early 2011 with consistancy, but by 2012 barring any catastrophic injury I think he will be there once he learns to handle the pressure, and grows a little more into the top.

Cilic- ok he is sort of in neutral now, good result, bad result. I think he is still learning his game, but he has some big wins and seems to be growing as a player, by 2012, if he has it all figured out in terms of what he wants his game to look like, I think he'll be there.

Murray- Ok he right now seems to be overrated at the slams but non slam consistancy and success does bring with it alot of points, he shys down at slams but outside of them he tends to play better, if he does that and makes occasional good showings at majors he could probably still be in the top 5 come 2012.

The 5th spot is tough to call. Nadal is questionable because of his knees, I don't think the way he is going now that they will hold for 3 more year. Unless he completely revamps his scheduling and possibly changes his game a little his knees won't hold that long. Djokovic is so hot and cold that I can't see him staying up at the top 3 years from now as the younger guys come into their own. Like Nadal he needs major work to be there in 3 years. Roddick...I don't think so, by 2012 I see him starting to really wear down...I don't know if he'll even be in the top 10 by then, let alone top 5. Verdasco, Tsonga, Simon, Soderling...right now none of them seem to be able to string together a ton of consistency or really good form, so I am gonna say a slight maybe. But I have a feeling the 5th spot in 2012 may be someone none of us would even consider only because its a bit down the road from now and a lot can change.

icedevil0289
10-23-2009, 12:22 PM

I think he will be playing competitively until 2012, and maybe a bit longer, although many seem to have him as no.1, which I disagree with.

P_Agony
10-23-2009, 12:46 PM
I think he will be playing competitively until 2012, and maybe a bit longer, although I don't think many seem to have him as no.1, which I disagree with.

Good to see you icedevil, where have you been? It's been a while since I've seen you post. :)

icedevil0289
10-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Good to see you icedevil, where have you been? It's been a while since I've seen you post. :)

yeah i know. I've been busy with school and obsessing over this particular kpop band. My future husband is from there. It's a long story. lol Anyways, did you miss me? :)

edit: lol, I just went to mtf and the first thing I see is, "top 5 players in 2012".

P_Agony
10-23-2009, 12:54 PM
yeah i know. I've been busy with school and obsessing over this particular kpop band. My future husband is from there. It's a long story. lol Anyways, did you miss me? :)

Yeah I did, your absence was definitely felt. Is everything OK at school?

What? Who opened his thread? I don't go to MTF so I didn't copy it.

mandy01
10-23-2009, 12:56 PM

edit: lol, I just went to mtf and the first thing I see is, "top 5 players in 2012".

Future husband?What are you on?:twisted:
Oh pray tell :D

icedevil0289
10-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Yeah I did, your absence was definitely felt. Is everything OK at school?

What? Who opened his thread? I don't go to MTF so I didn't copy it.

yup, I'm getting A's. It's been so long, feel like I'm in hs again. Definitely made the right choice when I switched.

lol, no, you know fedfan2009, he must have seen it and opened it up there. I just found it funny.

Many of my threads, I got from mtf and then I would open them up here.

icedevil0289
10-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Future husband?What are you on?:twisted:
Oh pray tell :D

oh jeez, now you got me all embarrassed. Yes I said future husband. Actually I love all the band members, but I like one a bit more than the others, and if I had it my way and if they changed the laws, I would marry all of them, but sadly I have to limit myself to one. Unfortunately my future husband is not aware I'm his future wife. So now I must learn korean, go there and win him over with my charm and wit:)

yes I realize I sound delusional, but if my 17 year old sister has 2 husbands and counting, I'm allowed this fantasy.

mandy01
10-23-2009, 01:12 PM
oh jeez, now you got me all embarrassed. Yes I said future husband. Actually I love all the band members, but I like one a bit more than the others, and if I had it my way and if they changed the laws, I would marry all of them, but sadly I have to limit myself to one. Unfortunately my future husband is not aware I'm his future wife. So now I must learn korean, go there and win him over with my charm and wit:)

yes I realize I sound delusional, but if my 17 year old sister has 2 husbands and counting, I'm allowed this fantasy.
LOOOOOOOL I assumed you were going out with some 'pop-guy' :lol:

stapler
10-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Here is my random guess of that:

Federer 5- 1 Australian Open, 2 Wimbledons, 2 U.S Opens
Del Potro 3- 1 Australian Open, 1 French Open, 1 U.S Open
Murray 2- 1 Australian Open, 1 Wimbledon
Djokovic 1- 1 French Open
Nadal 1- 1 French Open

I dont see Nadal winning another hard court slam, and Djokovic will have a hard time doing it as while hard courts is his best surface he is starting to lose ground to the other top hard court players. I see Federer, Del Potro, Murray, and maybe Cilic being the main contenders for hard court slams in the near future. At Wimbledon it is between Federer, Murray, and maybe Nadal and Roddick, and maybe even Cilic since his hard flat strokes should work well on grass. The French Open wiill not see complete Nadal dominance continue since he just isnt the same player anymore and Del Potro and Djokovic are improving on clay. Nadal, Federer, Del Potro, Djokovic will all be title contenders there in the next few years.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/2370/52405462.png

P_Agony
10-23-2009, 01:52 PM
yup, I'm getting A's. It's been so long, feel like I'm in hs again. Definitely made the right choice when I switched.

lol, no, you know fedfan2009, he must have seen it and opened it up there. I just found it funny.

Many of my threads, I got from mtf and then I would open them up here.

Wait, I didn't understand. It's Fedfan 2009 who copied it?

icedevil0289
10-23-2009, 02:01 PM
Wait, I didn't understand. It's Fedfan 2009 who copied it?

lol yeah, he made the same thread on mtf. I'm assuming he got the idea from here. Although now that thread is talking about the world ending in 2012 and the movie based on that theory. :)

it's no biggie though. Like I said, many of my threads, I saw from mtf, and posted them on here, although I would always mention that I got them from mtf in my post.

mandy01
10-23-2009, 02:15 PM

Good on you.You've taken psychology right?

icedevil0289
10-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Good on you.You've taken psychology right?

yup:)
10char