PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News about Caroline Wozniacki

WARPWOODIE
10-22-2009, 05:26 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/wtatour/6411066/Caroline-Wozniacki-waiting-to-hear-if-WTA-will-punish-her-for-pulling-out-of-match.html

flyinghippos101
10-22-2009, 06:14 PM
the WTA's davydenko?

IvanAndreevich
10-22-2009, 06:15 PM
I thought all bets were off if a player retired?

Falloutjr
10-22-2009, 06:19 PM
This definitely needs to be punished; you can't do something like this. It completely undermines the integrity of the game it's a blatant fix and she should be suspended for 6 months-1 year, and if she does it again she should get a 2 year suspension. You have to come down hard in tennis like this because it's the easiest event in which you can fix games, point shave, etc. and should not be tolerated.

IvanAndreevich
10-22-2009, 06:41 PM
This definitely needs to be punished; you can't do something like this. It completely undermines the integrity of the game it's a blatant fix and she should be suspended for 6 months-1 year, and if she does it again she should get a 2 year suspension. You have to come down hard in tennis like this because it's the easiest event in which you can fix games, point shave, etc. and should not be tolerated.

I don't think you understand. She was injured and let the home favorite Kramer compete instead of giving her opponent a walk over. Kramer then played (and lost) a fun 3 setter instead of the fans getting to see nothing at all.

stapler
10-22-2009, 06:50 PM
I don't think you understand. She was injured and let the home favorite Kramer compete instead of giving her opponent a walk over. Kramer then played (and lost) a fun 3 setter instead of the fans getting to see nothing at all.

Exactly this. It seems like she did it entirely for the benefit of the sport.

NamRanger
10-22-2009, 07:06 PM
I thought all bets were off if a player retired?

Depends on how you bet and what you are betting on.

FedSampras1
10-22-2009, 07:35 PM
a new cheater is born in the WTA:evil:

kendall22
10-22-2009, 07:41 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/6400921/Caroline-Wozniacki-has-too-much-to-lose.html

There's nothing here. She was just a GS finalist - she's not going to pull out of some minor tournament for a few bucks.

film1
10-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Clearly wrong, she should have tanked and let the other player have the satisfaction of beating her or won the match and withdrawn with injury.
It looks very bad and she should be suspended for a year.

Bud
10-22-2009, 07:50 PM
The whole issue is completely stupid. She pulled out because she was injured... which was obvious if you were watching the match.

The girl she was playing was from Luxembourg and rather than a walkover for her next opponent... she chose the noble path and let her opponent continue playing in front of her home crowd.

jamesblakefan#1
10-22-2009, 07:57 PM
I don't believe she would do that, and make it so obvious. She really seems like a geniunely nice person and it would be within her character to do something like this for an opponent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1IwHv0-rXU

Leelord337
10-22-2009, 09:48 PM
this made yahoo news too http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/blog/busted_racquet/post/Caroline-Wozniacki-s-good-deed-leads-to-WTA-inve?urn=ten,197641 I think she was just being nice letting anne kremer have the match, but what did her dad actually say in polish?

Keifers
10-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Speaking of penalties, has any further penalty been announced for Serena's meltdown at the USO?

Beyond the $10,500 fine she received shortly after the incident, that is.

There was talk that the Grand Slam committee had started an investigation that could lead to further fines and sanctions.

Max G.
10-22-2009, 10:23 PM
Clearly wrong, she should have tanked and let the other player have the satisfaction of beating her or won the match and withdrawn with injury.
It looks very bad and she should be suspended for a year.

What?

This way the audience gets TWO good matches. This one - almost an entire match of both players playing their hardest - and the next one, where two uninjured players will play.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, and Moose found the reference for it, this isn't at all unprecedented, and had happened in the past, and was considered GOOD sportspmanship. And you're saying she should TANK? Tanking is never acceptable.

Winning and then retiring would be acceptable, but this alternative is better for the crowd - and if the player is willing to take a hit to their prize money or rankings for the sake of fans, that's something that should be *encouraged*, not penalized!

Dutch-Guy
10-23-2009, 01:32 AM
Why would betting continue after a match has begun? Betting on a match should be closed once the first ball has been struck.

Objective Danny
10-23-2009, 02:20 AM
Why would betting continue after a match has begun? Betting on a match should be closed once the first ball has been struck.

That's the $64k question. All bets should be placed and counted before the first ball is tossed into the air.

With the fallout from this incident, I don't think many coaches will be interested in wearing a wire. If I were a coach I'd refuse to wear one.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-23-2009, 04:09 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/wtatour/6411066/Caroline-Wozniacki-waiting-to-hear-if-WTA-will-punish-her-for-pulling-out-of-match.html
I am really disgusted about this, Wocniackis father is an idiot.
I hope they ban her for 2-3 years, she would totally deserve that, newly rich people often think they can do whatever they want!

120mphBodyServe
10-23-2009, 05:07 AM
I hope they ban her for 2-3 years, she would totally deserve that, newly rich people often think they can do whatever they want!

Did you even read the article? She did the right thing by retiring since he was injured, and couldn't play in the next match even if she won...
Some people... *sigh*

ttbrowne
10-23-2009, 05:18 AM
She should be suspended. No doubt she broke the WTA rules AND there are some big questions on the betting part. I would suggest that the WTA conduct a investigation into whether her father was in collusion with any gamblers.
This stinks.
Sorry to say that I am one of her biggest fans, too.

kendall22
10-23-2009, 05:24 AM
How was her father even allowed to talk to her in the middle of the match?

jwbarrientos
10-23-2009, 05:36 AM
She should be suspended. No doubt she broke the WTA rules AND there are some big questions on the betting part. I would suggest that the WTA conduct a investigation into whether her father was in collusion with any gamblers.
This stinks.

Not sure she broke any rules, I am not an expert, but she broke the spirit of the game.

Investigation should be concluded, IMHO, should suspended or sth.

tacoben
10-23-2009, 05:41 AM
^^^^^What exactly are the WTA rules pertaining to this issue....in that she quit 1 game away from winning her match @ 5-0 in the second set?

Gemini
10-23-2009, 05:44 AM
Regardless of whether or not she did the right thing, once her dad opened his mouth (which is against the rules) she was obligated to finish that match win or lose. I'm sure the investigation won't turn up any signs of match-fixing but you've got to expect some sort of scrutiny in this situation.

Petra Martinnen
10-23-2009, 06:10 AM
Wozniacki appears quite a lovley gal, great too for the sport. But this "strategerie" really damages the integrity of the game.

There are just too many retirements and withdrawals, disinterest, mandatoyr half heart appeances, tanks to kep the sport vialbe. Worse, fans, remember them?, do not know what they will get in non slams these days from top players. All they do is position for slams, and the tour be damned. How rare is it now for many events to get players of note who are serious. No, not good at all. If there is appearance $$ still given it must be banned. If a top player is not there to win, they should not appear at all!

sureshs
10-23-2009, 06:13 AM
Is she pregnant ??:???:

Not unless you were around her

Ledigs
10-23-2009, 06:32 AM
If they suspend her it just looks like they support sports betting, as if they are avenging the loss of those who bet on wozniacki.

As for bets, maybe some sites let you place bets during match???? That sounds crazy though. The only thing would be if she was in on a bet and faked injury, but why make it so obvious by leading 5-0? No she's innocent. But kinda stupid.

Morrissey
10-23-2009, 06:41 AM
Well if the WTA won't stand up to Serena and do anything to her why in hell should they do anything to Wozniacki? She did the noble thing by letting her opponent win and guarantee a match in the next round. First off, turn off the mics to the coaches. Why do we need to to even overhear their discussions with their players? Did any of you people even watch the match or even better, read the article? You people are so quick to hasty judgements. There's no middle ground with you all. It's either you're a messiah or satan in this forum.

Fedace
10-23-2009, 06:44 AM
STUPID STUPID. Innocent girl getting punished. Naive girl not knowing the rules fully tries to be NICE to her fellow player and let her advance. knowing she will have to pull out of the 2nd round match if she advances.

WTA STUPID. that should be their new name for 2010.

Objective Danny
10-23-2009, 07:20 AM
How was her father even allowed to talk to her in the middle of the match?

On court coaching is allowed in the WTA. He's her coach, he spoke to her at the end of the first set.

kingdaddy41788
10-23-2009, 07:28 AM

Would you really wish that on her? She clearly had the fans' interests above her own, but let's all condemn her. Idiot.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-23-2009, 07:31 AM
Would you really wish that on her? She clearly had the fans' interests above her own, but let's all condemn her. Idiot.
Are you insane??? I even know her AND HER Swedish coach!! But all her Swedish and Danish fans are really upset the way she and her dad handled this situation! You need to STFU!

kingdaddy41788
10-23-2009, 07:31 AM
This stinks.

If her father was in collusion with any gamblers, I doubt he would have told her to retire while wearing a mic. I'm sure he would have been more subversive about it. Give me a break.

kingdaddy41788
10-23-2009, 07:34 AM
Are you insane??? I even know her AND HER Swedish coach!! But all her Swedish and Danish fans are really upset the way she and her dad handled this situation! You need to STFU!

You know her and you still wish a 2-3 year ban on her? You don't think that's a little strong? She's a sweet girl and there's no way in hell she retired for any gambling-related reasons. She has too much to lose, nothing to gain, and she's not an idiot. I'm not sure how cutting her a little slack makes me insane.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-23-2009, 07:36 AM
You know her and you still wish a 2-3 year ban on her? You don't think that's a little strong? She's a sweet girl and there's no way in hell she retired for any gambling-related reasons. She has too much to lose, nothing to gain, and she's not an idiot. I'm not sure how cutting her a little slack makes me insane.
Ive talked to her a couple of times, yes she is a nice girl. I also know her coach pretty well,. Although... as many WTA-dads her dad is a wellknown idiot. Do you mind explaining to me why he said what he said to her in Polish? Why not in English? And do you mind explain to me why there Polish accounts all over the world whoearned millions of dollars on this match?

Dutch-Guy
10-23-2009, 07:42 AM
That's the $64k question. All bets should be placed and counted before the first ball is tossed into the air.
I made some research about this betting practice:it's called "live betting".Most online sites allow it and it's legal.
With the fallout from this incident, I don't think many coaches will be interested in wearing a wire. If I were a coach I'd refuse to wear one.
WTA should make it mandatory or ban on court coaching.

I highly doubt Woz's father told her to stop because of betting. I"m sure he was looking out for the health of his daughter.

kingdaddy41788
10-23-2009, 07:43 AM
Ive talked to her a couple of times, yes she is a nice girl. I also know her coach pretty well,. Although... as many WTA-dads her dad is a wellknown idiot. Do you mind explaining to me why he said what he said to her in Polish? Why not in English? And do you mind explain to me why there Polish accounts all over the world whoearned millions of dollars on this match?

If I'm not mistaken, Polish is his first language. I'm not sure if in your last sentence you're trying to refer to their Polish accounts or if you are saying that there are Polish accounts that earned millions of dollars on this match, so I can't really respond.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-23-2009, 07:48 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Polish is his first language. I'm not sure if in your last sentence you're trying to refer to their Polish accounts or if you are saying that there are Polish accounts that earned millions of dollars on this match, so I can't really respond.
Let me fill you in, lots of Polish players around the world who had accounts on Betfair and Bet365 made millions of dollars on that match. They placed HUGE bets on Wocniackis opponent when she was down 0-3 in second set, 0-4 in second set, at 0-5 no more bets came in, 10 seconds later she gave up.
Piotr speaks perfectly fine Danish, and reasonable English.

Dutch-Guy
10-23-2009, 07:53 AM
Let me fill you in, lots of Polish players around the world who had accounts on Betfair and Bet365 made millions of dollars on that match. They placed HUGE bets on Wocniackis opponent when she was down 0-3 in second set, 0-4 in second set, at 0-5 no more bets came in, 10 seconds later she gave up.

Any proof to back that up? (I'm not saying it's can't be true).

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-23-2009, 07:54 AM
To make a long story short, Piotr Wocniazki is responsible for Betfair and Bet365 losing millions of dollars on this match, they are gonna complain about it to the WTA and possibly take it to court, where they clearly will win the case. With a suspention on Caroline and/or Piotr might follow.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-23-2009, 07:55 AM
Yes I do, give me a minute and i will dig up the source for you, do you understand Swedish or Danish?

Max G.
10-23-2009, 08:00 AM

Polish is their first language; why would they use some other one?

The bettors placed those bets because they HEARD what he said - it was broadcast live on the internet.

hollywood9826
10-23-2009, 08:00 AM
Well the bets were placed because you could hear him on TV tell her to quit because it wasnt worth it and she wouldnt be able to play the next match anyway.

If gambling was legal in the US and I would have heard that I could have gone onto the site and placed the bet myself. I do not think Woz did anything wrong in this situation. Maybe the dad needs to be investigated. But I think this was just some fans who understood the situation making the right bet at the right time.

kingdaddy41788
10-23-2009, 08:01 AM

I would want to see some proof as well.

Perhaps he thought that if he said it in English even more people would place bets. I can't read minds so I can't tell you why he said it in Polish.

Also, I would think that many of those bets will not be paid out due to this controversy.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-23-2009, 08:02 AM

The bettors placed those bets because they HEARD what he said - it was broadcast live on the internet.
Well yes, i know!
So now her dad needs to proove that he had nothing to do with the Polish players who won millions of dollars on this match, maybe Caroline doesnt give her dad a nice allowance-money every month ?!:twisted:

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Perhaps he thought that if he said it in English even more people would place bets. I can't read minds so I can't tell you why he said it in Polish.

Also, I would think that many of those bets will not be paid out due to this controversy.
I agree with this.
Thats why it is such a big controversy, the players want their money of course, and Betfair and Bet365 are not willing to pay up.

hollywood9826
10-23-2009, 08:05 AM
Also for those curious you can bet on the match at any time.

Bet fair is basically a middle man for bets placed between two people.

So lets say in this case Woz was up 4-0 in the 2nd set and you thought it was a positive she wins the match. I say the girl comes back and will win.

you give me 10 to 1 odds becasue the gap is so big. if woz wins you win a dollar if she loses I win 10 dollars.

You can bet on stuff like if the serve will be fault or good. Any bet you want to make more than likely someone else will make the opposite bet just to bet.

Betfair takes a cut of the exchanges regardless never using thier own funds to pay the winner all exchanges are between the parties involved (like the bay with an e). At least thats my understanding of the situation. Like I said its illegal to do in USA

Topaz
10-23-2009, 08:09 AM
Every time she's gotten on court coaching, in every other instance, in every other occasion, it has been in Polish...her and her father's first language.

:roll:

TheMagicianOfPrecision
In Scandinavia people are laughing at the online forums (including this one) who praised her for showing sportsmanship!

Max G.
To make a long story short, Piotr Wocniazki is responsible for Betfair and Bet365 losing millions of dollars on this match, they are gonna complain about it to the WTA and possibly take it to court, where they clearly will win the case. With a suspention on Caroline and/or Piotr might follow.

Court? What case does Betfair or Bet365 have?

Does the WTA has any contracts with Betfair/Bet365 that were broken by this? I would expect not.

What would they sue the WTA for? Wozniacki probably broke some internal WTA rules, but it's entirely up to the WTA whether to do something about it (and they shouldn't - this way the fans got better matches, and the WTA shouldn't care if betting companies lose money. WTA cares about match-fixing because it's in the interests of the WTA to always have players play their best, not because they care about the financial well-being of the betting companies.)

Dutch-Guy
10-23-2009, 08:10 AM

Yeah.She was "hurt" and not going to play the next round so daddy said quit before it ends so the other girl can win and gamblers got a hold of information and used it to their advantage.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Court? What case does Betfair or Bet365 have?

Does the WTA has any contracts with Betfair/Bet365 that were broken by this? I would expect not.

What would they sue the WTA for? Wozniacki probably broke some internal WTA rules, but it's entirely up to the WTA whether to do something about it (and they shouldn't - this way the fans got better matches, and the WTA shouldn't care if betting companies lose money. WTA cares about match-fixing because it's in the interests of the WTA to always have players play their best, not because they care about the financial well-being of the betting companies.)
Well Caroline and her dad is a part of the WTA-organisation, and someone must take the blame.
I doubt the betting-companies would give 1 single person the blame.
This is hard for me to explain in English, learn some Swedish and i will explain it to you, ok? :):)

Fedace
10-23-2009, 08:15 AM
In Scandinavia people are laughing at the online forums (including this one) who praised her for showing sportsmanship!

Laughing ?? why ? they love Caroline and they think she is a angel and a darling....

rocket
10-23-2009, 08:17 AM

Really? What do they think of her overthere? Do most think the match was fixed?

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-23-2009, 08:20 AM
Really? What do they think of her overthere? Do most think the match was fixed?
Of course they do, or her dad is a complete newb...either way her reputation is deeply hurt over here, its very divided, some people defend her and some ppl think what she and her dad did was very wrong.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-23-2009, 08:21 AM
Laughing ?? why ? they love Caroline and they think she is a angel and a darling....
Yes they do, but what she and her father did was not angel or darling behaviour, this is a huge scandal in case youve missed it?!

Dutch-Guy
10-23-2009, 08:22 AM

...darling with a greedy @ss father who wants to get rich off of her.She entered like 18 tournies this year.She shouldn't have played that Micky Mouse tourny in the first place.

About her injury: What some people find suspicious is the fact that she was up 5-0 in the second set.She was 1 game away from winning in straights and all of a sudden she pulls up with a sudden "injury"

Max G.
10-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Well Caroline and her dad is a part of the WTA-organisation, and someone must take the blame.

Just because they can take the blame doesn't mean that they can get monetary recompense for it.

I doubt the betting-companies would give 1 single person the blame.

Why should it matter who the betting-companies blame? Yes, it's obvious WHY they lost money - but that doesn't mean it was illegal or wrong.

jimbo333
10-23-2009, 08:36 AM
I agree with this.
Thats why it is such a big controversy, the players want their money of course, and Betfair and Bet365 are not willing to pay up.

Are you annoyed because you didn't place a bet on this?

Or annoyed because you did place a bet and cannot collect your winnings yet?

It looks like one or the other:)

lawrence
10-23-2009, 08:37 AM
Pretty sure she makes enough money to be able to buy things for her Father/Coach (yes, two roles of great importance to someone as both a human being and a professional tennis player).

So now, why would she risk her reputation, a fine, suspension, and why would Piotr risk being investigated, for a few dollars and for a few random people he does not know to make a few extra bucks.

What she did may not be correct in terms of RULES RULES BLAH BLAH, but it was the nice thing to do. Why take an opportunity away from someone else when you can't play the next round anyway?

That's like a millionaire winning $50 on a scratchie then thinking "oh I don't even want this" and burning it in front of a homeless person.

Bit of an extreme analogy, but just getting the basic point across.

Max G.
10-23-2009, 08:43 AM

Wait, are they not willing to pay up?

According to one article I read,
Betfair, however, said it did not have any concerns about the match at this stage, and that the money won or lost was not unusual.

Do you have a source that says otherwise, that bets are being withheld? I wouldn't be surprised, I just haven't heard that.

stormholloway
10-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Better to let the guilty go free than potentially punish the innocent. I think she's innocent, by the way. In fact, the WTA should be ashamed by even drawing such negative attention to the sport by insinuating she threw the match. There's no clear evidence she did that.

Shaolin
10-23-2009, 09:45 AM
The whole issue is completely stupid. She pulled out because she was injured... which was obvious if you were watching the match.

The girl she was playing was from Luxembourg and rather than a walkover for her next opponent... she chose the noble path and let her opponent continue playing in front of her home crowd.

No good deed goes unpunished..

Lionheart392
10-23-2009, 09:47 AM
I think Wozniacki needs to ditch her dad, it's time to be out there on her own now. I know it's within the rules but it might do her good in the long run.

jamesblakefan#1
10-23-2009, 09:47 AM

Agreed. The whole back of her left leg was wrapped, from the hamstring to the buttocks. It was pretty obvious she was injured during the match, even if the scoreline suggests otherwise.

jimwh
10-23-2009, 09:58 AM
I am jealous of the wrap.

backhander
10-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Maybe I'm comparing apples to oranges, but it's kind of interesting that the WTA is all over this Wozniacki thing (which I think she and her dad are totally innocent from) whereas the Serena Williams US Open Semis tirade seems to just be forgotten with nothing more than a miniscule slap on the wrist.

Chadwixx
10-23-2009, 03:51 PM
"After the game Wozniacki admitted that she had withdrawn because she knew that she would not be fit to play her second-round match, and wanted to do "the sporting thing" and let her opponent take her chance."

She did nothing wrong. She doesnt wanna play she doesnt have to, simple as that. She isnt one of micheal vicks dogs, she can do what she wants.

stapler
10-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Maybe I'm comparing apples to oranges, but it's kind of interesting that the WTA is all over this Wozniacki thing (which I think she and her dad are totally innocent from) whereas the Serena Williams US Open Semis tirade seems to just be forgotten with nothing more than a miniscule slap on the wrist.

I'm pretty sure that at least the ITF is still investigating Serena, and a final decision has yet to come.

Chadwixx
10-23-2009, 04:25 PM
...darling with a greedy @ss father who wants to get rich off of her.

If he were greedy, he would of told her to finish the match to make more money. What he did is like the exact opposite :) Its not like what richard williams did at indian wells.

Falloutjr
10-23-2009, 04:34 PM
She may be "injured", she may be not, but it's very suspicious, the sequence of events that occured and it's questionable at best. There should at least be a very serious investigation by the WTA if she's found to have fixed the match she deserves a 2 year ban. It IS possible to fake an injury. And Chad that isn't a very smart move is says she was a 40-1 favorite. So if her father bet $10,000 against her and then she were to lose the match, he would win $400,000, and I'm not entirely sure what the tournament prize money would be for 1st, but I'm 100% sure it's less than that. Honestly, she may have had good intentions, but she won quite easily and to let someone have the match when you're that close to winning is a ripoff to the fans; they wasted their time and money watching the match given it wasn't terribly competitive and the other girl pretty much gave her a bye. Also, it's unfair to the other competitors that the girl's next round opponent gets a weaker player and essentially a bye because I don't think she's going to win. An injured Wozniacki is still better than her in the next round.

pound cat
10-23-2009, 04:37 PM
"Curiouser and Curiouser"

Lewis Carroll

Alice in Wonderland

Chadwixx
10-23-2009, 05:21 PM
She may be "injured", she may be not, but it's very suspicious, the sequence of events that occured and it's questionable at best. There should at least be a very serious investigation by the WTA if she's found to have fixed the match she deserves a 2 year ban. It IS possible to fake an injury. And Chad that isn't a very smart move is says she was a 40-1 favorite. So if her father bet $10,000 against her and then she were to lose the match, he would win $400,000, and I'm not entirely sure what the tournament prize money would be for 1st, but I'm 100% sure it's less than that. Honestly, she may have had good intentions, but she won quite easily and to let someone have the match when you're that close to winning is a ripoff to the fans; they wasted their time and money watching the match given it wasn't terribly competitive and the other girl pretty much gave her a bye. Also, it's unfair to the other competitors that the girl's next round opponent gets a weaker player and essentially a bye because I don't think she's going to win. An injured Wozniacki is still better than her in the next round.

Read the first couple pages. They go over how the father simply made a comment that people around him heard. She also did whats best for the tournament. Gave the fans a 98% finished match and let them see their home town favorite tomorrow instead of a default.

Essentially a "bye" (as you called it) turned out to be a great 3set match with a local favorite vs a default. Not sure how you can argue that.

backhander
10-23-2009, 05:34 PM

Why are people all about this being suspicious and all about punishing Wozniacki? From reading the story articles, it all sounds perfectly innocent. Wozniacki, was injured, her Dad told her she should quit, and she quit cause she knew she wouldn't be able to continue in the tournament anyways. She did this to allow her opponent to move on and provide a match for the tournament.

I think people are smarter than to do something as blatant as this. If it was a fix, she would not have played to the point of injuring herself. And instead of withdrawing, if someone was smart than they would have just played bad to lose the match. I just don't think people are reading the story correctly, they are just going off of the post title.

Falloutjr
10-23-2009, 07:26 PM
We're suspicious because tennis is the easiest sport to fix matches and based on what sports have become over the last 10 or so years, you would be naive to 100% dismiss the possibility that something wrong is going on. Also, her father didn't tell her to retire IMMEDIATELY. He told her to quit when she was up 5-0 (she was up 3-0) which would give them about 10-15 minutes to set up any suspicious activity? IDK but that's what really bothered me not the rest of it.

diggler
10-23-2009, 09:14 PM
For those who want to punish Woz, what exactly is she guilty of doing? She retired from a match when she was injured. Would you prefer that she tank? That is against the rules. Would you prefer she keep playing while injured? What rule says a player obliged to keep playing while injured?

As for those who think betfair has lost a lot of money over this, do you actually know what a betting exchange is? You bet against another gambler and betfair takes a percentage of the winnings.

The only losers are those who bet on Woz. Is she obliged to keep punters updated on her condition? It is not like Woz is a publicly listed company on the stock exchange. She is not obliged to keep punters informed of her condition.

To those who think Woz's father is in on a betting scam, let me get this right. He goes courtside where he is miked up and tells Woz to retire, which she does so he makes his millions betting against her. Is Woz's father that stupid. I know there are many stupid people, as evidenced by some of the posts here, but is Woz's father as dumb as the biggest nutbags of this website?

Bud
10-23-2009, 10:08 PM
...darling with a greedy @ss father who wants to get rich off of her.She entered like 18 tournies this year.She shouldn't have played that Micky Mouse tourny in the first place.

About her injury: What some people find suspicious is the fact that she was up 5-0 in the second set.She was 1 game away from winning in straights and all of a sudden she pulls up with a sudden "injury"

If you watched the match you'd know she was injured earlier in the match and had an injury timeout. They worked on her leg for quite some time while she was lying face-down on the ground.

Bud
10-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Read the first couple pages. They go over how the father simply made a comment that people around him heard. She also did whats best for the tournament. Gave the fans a 98% finished match and let them see their home town favorite tomorrow instead of a default.

Essentially a "bye" (as you called it) turned out to be a great 3set match with a local favorite vs a default. Not sure how you can argue that.

Agreed! Kremer's next match was actually very good... thought she might win it until the latter part of the second set... and then the third :-?

lawrence
10-23-2009, 11:12 PM

Did you even read the article? If Wozniacki won she wouldn't have played the next round because she was injured. THAT'S WHY SHE RETIRED.

Seriously.

big bang
10-24-2009, 07:52 AM

if you know just a little about her and her father, then you should know they allways speak polish to each other when shes on court.. why? because Piotr dont speak either danish or english no where near as good as polish.
this is clearly the best and easiest way for both of them and they allways speak polish so there is nothing fishy at all..

the way you speak about her makes me seriously doubt you ever met her or spoke to her!

you can call her many things, but cheater is NOT one of them!!

Falloutjr
10-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Of course she's not a cheater she quit when she was up 7-5, 5-0; that was never the issue ;)

quest01
10-24-2009, 06:25 PM
I don't think it was a good idea for Wozniacki to quit up 5-0 in the 2nd set. She or her father could have been involved in gambling, online betting, and it just sets her up as possibly cheating. I just think what she did put herself in a bad situation similar to what Davydenko went through. Maybe she did quit because her opponent was playing in front of a home crowd but she shouldn't have quit up 5 zip, its poor sportsmanship in my opinion.

wyutani
10-24-2009, 06:35 PM
shes hot, who cares?

Falloutjr
10-24-2009, 06:36 PM
Exactly if she knew she wouldn't play in the next round she should've quit earlier. If she had quit up 7-5 without having started the second set, her opponent may have though "Hey I'm playing well I had a good chance to win maybe I can win my next round match" but quitting one game from winning can put doubt in the opponent's mind and make her less proud of the "victory" because she, in reality, was dominated and I wouldn't feel too proud having known I lost and being HANDED a win.

raiden031
10-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Its wrong that she planned her retirement several games in advance. Her father said at 3-0 that she should retire after she is 1 game from victory. That is playing without integrity.

quest01
10-24-2009, 06:51 PM
shes hot, who cares?

You do have a point. Her butt is made from some of the finest ingredients.

FedSampras1
10-24-2009, 08:20 PM
She maybe hot but she's a cheat

jamesblakefan#1
10-24-2009, 10:48 PM

How is it cheating to quit when you're 5-0 up to let your opponent have a second chance, when you know you're more than likely gonna have a w/o in the next match b/c you're injured?

wyutani
10-25-2009, 12:36 AM
You do have a point. Her butt is made from some of the finest ingredients.

Woooo...:shock:

genius think alike. :twisted:

Azzurri
10-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Woooo...:shock:

genius think alike. :twisted:

oh man, better read some more of his posts. I have read yours and you are NOTHING alike. trust me.:)

soyizgood
10-25-2009, 09:41 AM

Actually Wozniacki played 24 events this year, not counting Doha.

Annika
10-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Is she really "up and coming" or just another pretty face. :shock:

jamesblakefan#1
10-25-2009, 12:49 PM

She's top 8 and made a GS final this yr, what else does it take to be up and coming? She's only 19, are you saying she's past her prime? :lol:

big bang
10-25-2009, 12:57 PM

she is #4 on this weeks wta list.. not really up an coming

jelle v
10-25-2009, 02:27 PM
I really don't see anything bad here.. Wozniacki did the tournament a favor, she did the crowd a favor by playing and she did the crowd of the next match a favor, because otherwise they would have seen one less tennis match. It's sad that something like this gets put in a bad spot because people can bet on a tennismatch.

It's a problem for the betting offices in my opinion, not for tennis. I don't know the rules that betting offices use, but this can easily be solved by a rule that states that all bets are of when one player forfeits or withdraws..

FedSampras1
10-25-2009, 05:16 PM
she is #4 on this weeks wta list.. not really up an coming

in 2010 she will be down and coming :twisted:

Leelord337
10-25-2009, 05:25 PM
I don't think it was a good idea for Wozniacki to quit up 5-0 in the 2nd set. She or her father could have been involved in gambling, online betting, and it just sets her up as possibly cheating. I just think what she did put herself in a bad situation similar to what Davydenko went through. Maybe she did quit because her opponent was playing in front of a home crowd but she shouldn't have quit up 5 zip, its poor sportsmanship in my opinion.

this reminds me of a league match i played. I had gone 6-0 for the season in mens 3.5s and if i had won my last match i would have been underrated so i got to match point myself in the 2nd set and decided to tank the match so i could be rated and play the playoffs, i did tank it and i finished #1 in my city..i'm now playing 4.5s

Toxicmilk
10-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Officials just want an excuse to investigate her closely and intimately...:twisted:

tacoben
10-26-2009, 09:33 AM
I too think that Wozniacki is innocent. However, if I were the opposing player, the last thing I wouldn't want is, someone handing me the match because they felt sorry for me. That would eat up at my pride.:?

Max G.
10-26-2009, 11:17 AM
I too think that Wozniacki is innocent. However, if I were the opposing player, the last thing I wouldn't want is, someone handing me the match because they felt sorry for me. That would eat up at my pride.:?

Nah, not because they felt sorry for you. Because they felt sorry for the people who paid for tickets to the next match and wouldn't get one.

ttbrowne
10-26-2009, 06:09 PM
She's playing under the WTA rules and she broke them...all to hell.

SuperDuy
10-26-2009, 06:34 PM

exactly bud

SuperDuy
10-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Did you even read the article? She did the right thing by retiring since he was injured, and couldn't play in the next match even if she won...
Some people... *sigh*

yeah exacty

SuperDuy
10-26-2009, 06:45 PM
wheres the match, i polish first language, i wanna see what she said.

Falloutjr
10-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Well, with all the scandals we've seen in sports, to 100% ignore the possibility that it's not on the up and up is naive. She probably did have good intentions, but just because she has good intentions doesn't mean it isn't suspicious.

diggler
10-27-2009, 02:59 AM
She's playing under the WTA rules and she broke them...all to hell.

Which rule exactly did she break? Be specific.

Oh, the rule which says you cannot retire, even when injured. That little known rule. Please give us the link to the WTA rules where that rule is.

diggler
10-27-2009, 03:03 AM

Poor sportamanship. I agree she should have won and defaulted the next match. If I had paid for a ticket to the next round, I would have loved to see a walkover. More walkovers are what this sport needs. Let's start a thread on the greatest walkovers of all time.

diggler
10-27-2009, 03:07 AM

You're so right. Cheaters never prosper. I hope she loses, dirty little cheater. What, she did lose? She's not a very good cheater. I'm confused. My head hurts.