PDA

View Full Version : Gosen Polylon Yellow 17

clxtennis
10-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Anyone know anything about this string?

I'm looking for an inexpensive yellow string. Not really looking to spend more that 40-50 bucks for a reel (if at all possible). Also planning to hybrid the string with something else, possibly a synthetic gut (to soften the stringbed).

30 bucks seems too good to be true, but then again, so did OG Micro Sheep, and I love that string. Don't know if I can strike gold twice with Gosen, so I wanted to play it safe and look for the opinions of experts.

I spoke with someone at TW about this string, and they really didn't sound too sure about what they were saying. They didn't recommend the string, but also didn't dissuade me from purchasing it either... They also weren't able to tell me if it was a poly or a nylon.

As far as characteristics go, I am looking for something yellow, 17G (if possible), preferably polyester, and not something stiff. I already have some stiff poly's strings, and this string would be more for people I string for that prefer softer strings.

Also, what would this be good to hybrid with?

I know this is a lot of info to ask, but I also know someone is up to the challenge.

Thanks.

meowmix
10-22-2009, 07:52 PM
It is a polyester, a first generation one at that, and is relatively stiff. If you're for something soft (relatively) and yellow, you may want to consider Premier Ace from Pro Supex. It's not exactly comfy, but it's a bit softer. Comes in at either 40 or 50 bucks a reel.

You might also want to look up Golden Set to see what they have. Their reels of poly are really cheap.

clxtennis
10-22-2009, 08:08 PM
It is a polyester, a first generation one at that, and is relatively stiff. If you're for something soft (relatively) and yellow, you may want to consider Premier Ace from Pro Supex. It's not exactly comfy, but it's a bit softer. Comes in at either 40 or 50 bucks a reel.

You might also want to look up Golden Set to see what they have. Their reels of poly are really cheap.

I've seen things like "first generation", "third generation" before... What does it mean? Is it updated?

Golden Set? Never heard of it. Any string in particular you recommend?

Thanks.

meowmix
10-22-2009, 08:14 PM
I've never tried polys from Golden set, but they have a decent reputation.

As for the generations, it means what kind of string they are. First Gen refers to the polyester being a single core string, a pure monofilament with just polyester in it. These strings lose tension very quickly, and are stiff. Second generation strings have something added to the mix. They're first generation polyesters, but there's something that's added. These strings have better tension maintance and are a little bit softer. Third generation polyesters refer to the latest polyesters. These polyesters are a lot softer than first gen, and maintain tension exceptionally well.

In terms of pricing, first generation polyesters are generally cheap, second generation are generally the most expensive, and the first generation are in the middle. It's weird, but that's just how it works out.

clxtennis
10-22-2009, 08:19 PM
That's really good info to know. I always thought it meant something else.

So aside from the Golden Set, nothing worth it? I actually wouldn't mind if it wasn't a poly. Mainly looking for something that would work for most people. Not too stiff, not too soft.

clxtennis
10-22-2009, 08:21 PM
That's really good info to know. I always thought it meant something else.

So aside from the Golden Set, nothing worth it? I actually wouldn't mind if it wasn't a poly. Mainly looking for something that would work for most people. Not too stiff, not too soft.

I should rephrase that. Looking for something on the softer side...

meowmix
10-22-2009, 08:24 PM
If you're looking for something on the softer side that's a poly, there are a lot of good options, but you need to shell out a little more cash. At the 70-80 dollar price range (still talking around 4-4.50 a set, pretty good, especially if you hybrid with Gosen. You have MSV Hex, an excellent spin polyester with exceptional tension maintance (and it comes in 1.10, 1.18 and thicker, but those two guage are very popular), Pro Supex Big Ace (one of the most loved polys on this board- very soft for a polyester) and Topspin Cyberflash (slightly stiffer, but comparable to Alu. Essentially, a poor man's alu, but not so stiff).

A very soft synthetic gut is Forten Sweet. Very soft string, excellent as a cross in any string that needs a little more comfort. The cheapest multis in reels come in at around 90 bucks, which is a little expensive (according to what you want).

clxtennis
10-22-2009, 08:29 PM
If you're looking for something on the softer side that's a poly, there are a lot of good options, but you need to shell out a little more cash. At the 70-80 dollar price range (still talking around 4-4.50 a set, pretty good, especially if you hybrid with Gosen. You have MSV Hex, an excellent spin polyester with exceptional tension maintance (and it comes in 1.10, 1.18 and thicker, but those two guage are very popular), Pro Supex Big Ace (one of the most loved polys on this board- very soft for a polyester) and Topspin Cyberflash (slightly stiffer, but comparable to Alu. Essentially, a poor man's alu, but not so stiff).

A very soft synthetic gut is Forten Sweet. Very soft string, excellent as a cross in any string that needs a little more comfort. The cheapest multis in reels come in at around 90 bucks, which is a little expensive (according to what you want).

Yeah, I was thinking about Pro Supex Big Ace. I've tried it in the past, and didn't like it very much... I thought it was way too soft. However, most other people loved the feel of it. Since this string wouldn't be for me, I guess this doesn't matter much.

If I were going in the 80 dollar range (that's about how much Pro Supex goes for), is there anything better than the Pro Supex? Or is that the one to go with?

meowmix
10-22-2009, 08:35 PM
MSV Hex is the string that I would personally go for. Better tension maintance and more spin. Also available in very thin guages (something I like).

clxtennis
10-23-2009, 05:22 PM
MSV Hex is the string that I would personally go for. Better tension maintance and more spin. Also available in very thin guages (something I like).

I don't think I remember seeing a reel of this here at TW. The string does look pretty good. Is there another place you know of that might sell it in reel form? Is it considerably cheaper?

meowmix
10-23-2009, 06:02 PM
In reel form, it costs about 74.99 or like 80 dollars. Do a google search, and you'll find it. That place also allows you to demo the string for 3.75 a pack for four packs.

clxtennis
10-24-2009, 08:34 AM
Wow! That's an incredible deal.

What gauge do you recommend for this string?

I noticed that they sell Hex, Focus, & EVO. How do those two string compare to Hex?

Thanks.

Giant Baba
10-24-2009, 11:50 AM
Several more better spinning and wear strings for close prices to this Gosen. Oldest tecnology used in making this one string.