PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Stringer's Mistake...

coolblue123
10-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Hi All:

This is my second stringing job. I forgot to string the first cross, I was trying to do Yulitle's advice about stringing the first two crosses first before pulling and miscounted the holes. So now there are two free holes on top of my APDC. A couple of questions:

1) i was wondering if this would warp my racquet due to the unbalance weight on the top? Thus, I should cut up my Hollow Cores and restring?
2) if I play with this, will my APDC play differently?

thanks all in advance for the responses.

dancraig
10-22-2009, 09:11 PM
You could use a piece of leftover string and do "ye ole three piece job", if you did it two piece. If you did it one piece it would just be a weird two piece job. Find or make a couple of tie offs and go for it. It's your racquet.

coolblue123
10-22-2009, 09:25 PM
^^^ Thanks, I did it in two pieces (that's the only way I know how). So I just tie another piece into the cross and tie two more knots?

It sounds so crazy, it may work.. =) thanks, let me try it out.

psp2
10-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Hi All:

This is my second stringing job. I forgot to string the first cross, I was trying to do Yulitle's advice about stringing the first two crosses first before pulling and miscounted the holes. So now there are two free holes on top of my APDC. A couple of questions:

1) i was wondering if this would warp my racquet due to the unbalance weight on the top? Thus, I should cut up my Hollow Cores and restring?
2) if I play with this, will my APDC play differently?

thanks all in advance for the responses.

Just play with it as-is. You will not notice a difference, IMO.

dancraig
10-22-2009, 10:16 PM
^^^ Thanks, I did it in two pieces (that's the only way I know how). So I just tie another piece into the cross and tie two more knots?

It sounds so crazy, it may work.. =) thanks, let me try it out.

Since you did it two piece, you may have to enlarge a couple of grommets to make it work. One tieoff to start the cross and one to tie off. Very carefully insert your awl in a couple of candidates until you find one that will allow the awl to enter. Push it in and leave it for a minute or so. As you extract it, quickly insert the string tip that needs to go there.

dancraig
10-22-2009, 10:17 PM
You may have to sharpen the tip of your string with a razor knife, or at least cut a sharp point with your cutters.

TenniseaWilliams
10-22-2009, 10:29 PM
It's important to do it right. Restring it, so you can have pride in your work.

Irvin
10-23-2009, 03:27 AM
I doubt that it will warp your racket or make it play differently. But why not restring the racket, is this a set of natural gut you are trying to save?

Irvin

coolblue123
10-23-2009, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the tip everyone.

Latest Update:
be careful trying this on Wilson Hollow Core! Accidentally tore a section of the string in the gromment while poking with the awl. Freakin mains tore and broke! &^*%&@!!! Dang it, paid like $13 for them sets too... =( I guess I have to restring... LOL! Wonder if I send the string back to Wilson, will they send me a sympathy string set... hahaha!

Didn't know Hollow Core's are so fragile!

alidisperanza
10-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Well... the string is hollow inside, it is pretty poke-prone. Friend of mine had the same issue.

The racquet shouldn't play noticably different and it's not going to have a huge effect on warping the frame but the above poster is right. It's more of a pride thing in doing a good job!

Take your time next time, enjoy what you're doing!

mikeler
10-23-2009, 11:31 AM

Latest Update:
be careful trying this on Wilson Hollow Core! Accidentally tore a section of the string in the gromment while poking with the awl. Freakin mains tore and broke! &^*%&@!!! Dang it, paid like $13 for them sets too... =( I guess I have to restring... LOL! Wonder if I send the string back to Wilson, will they send me a sympathy string set... hahaha!

I'd suggest stringing with some cheap synthetic gut for a few more string jobs before you go with the high end stuff.

Bolivian Ace
10-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Your raquet is a lot more expensive that your string, I would not take the risk. Just restring it again.

Giant Baba
10-23-2009, 12:23 PM

Latest Update:

It is not. Your lack of skill and experience is only problem.

Irvin
10-23-2009, 01:02 PM

Latest Update:

Sounds like you were trying to string the racket 3 piece when you used your awl. I would have left it as it was before doing that. Any string is going to be fragile when you start poking it with a sharp awl.

Irvin

jmjmkim
10-23-2009, 01:07 PM
If it is your racket, then . . . but it will bot play well. Bit the bullet and redo. That's how we all learn.

jim e
10-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Listen to Irvin, as he is correct! He always gives good advise here.
Poking it with a sharp awl does more harm than good. I just use the awl for enlarging grommets when there is no string in there. Its a very rare day when I use an awl on a string anymore.

At least you should learn now what an awl can do, and you found out on a botched job anyways, so this should be a lesson, as not much lost.

Giant Baba
10-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Awl might also make bloodie hand. Danger for stabbing self at some times.

Steve Huff
10-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Yes, listen to Irvin. Don't stick an awl in a hole with a string in it unless it is a last resort, and then, only if you really know what you're doing. As I was going down this thread, I saw that Dancraig (who USUALLY has good advice) advised adding a top string. I was thinking: "I wonder how bad he's going to botch this up?" I would have said, play with it. You probably won't hurt the frame. It might play a little more powerfully, and it will probably break on your first mis-hit near the top.

And Dancraig, I hope you were just pulling his leg trying to entice a beginner to learn on his own.

coolblue123
10-23-2009, 07:36 PM
Thanks for all the great advice. I think I am sticking to Syn Gut until at least my 10th string job. Maybe one day, I will learn how an awl can be a stringer's best friend.
I guess there's a reason why most stringers come with several string sets. LOL...

dancraig
10-23-2009, 11:59 PM
Yes, listen to Irvin. Don't stick an awl in a hole with a string in it unless it is a last resort, and then, only if you really know what you're doing. As I was going down this thread, I saw that Dancraig (who USUALLY has good advice) advised adding a top string. I was thinking: "I wonder how bad he's going to botch this up?" I would have said, play with it. You probably won't hurt the frame. It might play a little more powerfully, and it will probably break on your first mis-hit near the top.

And Dancraig, I hope you were just pulling his leg trying to entice a beginner to learn on his own.

dancraig will have no comment at this time. :rolleyes:

mikeler
10-24-2009, 03:47 AM
Thanks for all the great advice. I think I am sticking to Syn Gut until at least my 10th string job. Maybe one day, I will learn how an awl can be a stringer's best friend.
I guess there's a reason why most stringers come with several string sets. LOL...

The funny thing I found is that I prefer the cheaper synthetic gut playing wise to some of the more expensive strings. I could not wait to finish all the strings that came with my stringer so I could get back to it. You'll get better and better each time you string. Just take your time. No need to try and break some of the speed records claimed on the TT boards.

GPB
10-24-2009, 06:22 AM
Maybe one day, I will learn how an awl can be a stringer's best friend.

That's the starting clamp, not the awl :):)