PDA

View Full Version : Safina Regains #1 Spot!

jamesblakefan#1
10-22-2009, 10:20 PM
By doing absolutely nothing!

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601079&sid=a68h3GbQWHzg

:lol:

grafselesfan
10-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Oh goodie. Who knows who will end the year #1. Serena will probably tank the closing events and Safina is a mess right now.

prattle128
10-22-2009, 11:34 PM
oh excellent, someone who really hasn't done anything at all gets back what really shouldn't belong to her.

navratilovafan
10-22-2009, 11:45 PM
The womens #1 ranking should be left vacant. Nobody deserves it.

TheFifthSet
10-22-2009, 11:51 PM
And Serena lost it by doing . . . you know . . . absolutely nothing.

dropshot winner
10-22-2009, 11:53 PM
It's almost insulting that Safina is #1 and Nadal #2.

McBrat
10-22-2009, 11:54 PM
Women's Tennis Association should be renamed Women's Tennis Federation.

ChuDat
10-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Women's Tennis Association should be renamed Women's Tennis Federation.

haha wtf. I think that name is more suitable than the wta.

wyutani
10-23-2009, 12:11 AM
congrats to safina. may you stay there longer.

Mick
10-23-2009, 12:17 AM
WTA = Williams (sisters) Tennis Association :)

dropshot winner
10-23-2009, 12:20 AM
Can Safina break Graf's streak of weeks at Nr. 1 without winning a slam? :D

Objective Danny
10-23-2009, 02:24 AM
Good for her.

The WTA need a number 1 contender the fans can look up to.

grafselesfan
10-23-2009, 02:30 AM
Can Safina break Graf's streak of weeks at Nr. 1 without winning a slam? :D

What a joke. Graf had already won a slam before she became #1 for the first time. Given that she won atleast 1 slam ever year from 1987-1996, and lost her #1 ranking sometime Spring of 1997 to never regain it again, it is safe to say she never had that long a slamless stretch as the World #1 either.

THUNDERVOLLEY
10-23-2009, 03:25 AM
Good for her.

Rationality is certainly not your ally (but we all know which moral cancer is) if you believe anyone should look up to a loser who celebrates being a failure (the infamous ranking-over-slams idiocy she slobbered this past summer) and crumbles at any given moment.

namelessone
10-23-2009, 03:30 AM
Good things come to those who wait :):)

JankovicFan
10-23-2009, 03:43 AM
I think the ranking reflects that Safina is the one in better condition and more disciplined about training. The pattern seems to be that Serena does better if she can use the first week of a slam to get in shape and refine her current game, including playing doubles. When that doesn't happen in the smaller events, her results show it.

She effectively plays ITF and Miami and little else, maybe Charleston relatively near home (Miami), if she feels like it. I don't think that's enough or demonstrates enough respect for the entire schedule to be #1 any more than Safina. It's not all about slams. I don't know how many times we have to review that fact.

There is no player who personally invented the ranking system, so I don't think it is fair to abuse them after finding themselves in the lead for simply trying to do their best.

THUNDERVOLLEY
10-23-2009, 04:04 AM
There is no player who personally invented the ranking system, so I don't think it is fair to abuse them after finding themselves in the lead for simply trying to do their best.

This is not as innocent as you suggest. Remember, it was Safina--out of her own mouth this summer--who made the eternally moronic, defensive claim:

"The people will remember you by number one, not by winning a grand slam."

....which only shined a light on her being a false #1 with an inability to win slams--further hammered home by her U.S. open performance later this summer. She opened the door to more criticism, so she does take some responsibility for any disscusion of the issue.

Fr4Nc0
10-23-2009, 04:45 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

drakulie
10-23-2009, 04:46 AM
By doing absolutely nothing!

didn't realize she didn't play even one match this year. :roll:

Petra Martinnen
10-23-2009, 05:32 AM
Safina "doing nothng? "False results? She made two slam finals and won two premier events, in 6 finals.

Meanwhile, the alleged "true #1" Serena disrespected the fans and the game by blowing off much of the seaosn with tank jobs and often disinterested mandatory appearances.

drakulie
10-23-2009, 05:38 AM
^^^Not to mention scared the living day lights out of a poor little line judge by threatening her with physical violence.

Rabbit
10-23-2009, 05:54 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Dude, point of order.......

Stuffing a ball down someone's throat may or may not be violent...it is, of course, subject to interpretation. ;)

NamRanger
10-23-2009, 05:56 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Stuffing a ball down someone's throat may or may not be violent...it is, of course, subject to interpretation. ;)

Maybe she forgot to say the world gently, and that's why the linesperson was scared? :)

sureshs
10-23-2009, 06:09 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It is like dentistry. It can be done with loving care.

jamesblakefan#1
10-23-2009, 07:26 AM
She effectively plays ITF and Miami and little else, maybe Charleston relatively near home (Miami), if she feels like it. I don't think that's enough or demonstrates enough respect for the entire schedule to be #1 any more than Safina. It's not all about slams. I don't know how many times we have to review that fact.

Serena's played 15 events this year. Safina's played 18. That's only 3 events difference. Stop it with this misconception that Serena doesn't play enough events.

deddied
10-23-2009, 07:31 AM
Good for her.

haha thats a jk right?

Cesc Fabregas
10-23-2009, 07:33 AM
Serena's played 15 events this year. Safina's played 18. That's only 3 events difference. Stop it with this misconception that Serena doesn't play enough events.

Serena doesn't care about those events and regulary goes out in the first round to complete nobodies, she doesn't deserve to no.1 and shows no respect for the WTA tour but then again Safina is hardley a worthy no.1 either.

TMF
10-23-2009, 07:38 AM
Serena losing her #1 is just another reason why she's overrated, and it's been mentioned from another thread.

jamesblakefan#1
10-23-2009, 07:39 AM
Serena doesn't care about those events and regulary goes out in the first round to complete nobodies, she doesn't deserve to no.1 and shows no respect for the WTA tour but then again Safina is hardley a worthy no.1 either.

Safina has hardly done anything since Wimbledon besides winning some small event and losing to nobody players ranked outside the top 100. Serena hasn't performed in small events, but at least she's won 2 slams this year and lost to quality opponents as of late. But Safina just made the #1 rank a joke w/ her losses to nobody qualifiers in the last two events.

kingdaddy41788
10-23-2009, 07:40 AM
Not winning a slam doesn't make Safina a "fake #1". There is a ranking system in place. Under that ranking system, she is ranked #1.

If Serena wants to claim #1, maybe she should play more tournaments and win more matches. Honestly, it's ridiculous. If she wants to just show up at the slams, that's fine. But she can't just whine and complain that she should be the "real #1" if she doesn't perform well enough in the rest of the tournaments to achieve that ranking.

jamesblakefan#1
10-23-2009, 07:42 AM
Not winning a slam doesn't make Safina a "fake #1". There is a ranking system in place. Under that ranking system, she is ranked #1.

If Serena wants to claim #1, maybe she should play more tournaments and win more matches. Honestly, it's ridiculous. If she wants to just show up at the slams, that's fine. But she can't just whine and complain that she should be the "real #1" if she doesn't perform well enough in the rest of the tournaments to achieve that ranking.

Safina performed well early in the year, but as of late she's been crap, and for her to still be ranked #1 is a joke, as much on the system as on Serena for not winning a freaking match and taking this girl out for good. Either way I see her time at #1 being short, she should lose that rank by the time the AO is over, that's IF Serena isn't banned.

kishnabe
10-23-2009, 08:00 AM
WTA = Williams (sisters) Tennis Association :)

Nice one. Seriously it might be true since it is all williams.

boredone3456
10-23-2009, 08:57 AM
Well when she first got number one she was playing like total garbage apart from the Aussie Final and when she got it she went on a tear and won 2 tournaments, made another final, and stormed to the final of the french. Maybe getting it back will bring about some of this and she'll storm through the YEC?...Eh Maybe not.

But really, no one deserves the top spot, Serena won 2 slams, but absolutely nothing else all year, Safina won several non slam titles, but came up abysmally short in the slams. If Safina does manage to win the YEC, maybe a little of the heat will come off of her...if she does what she did last year...well....

Chadwixx
10-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Didnt serena take back her #1 when she lost to petrova in the 3rd round at the china open? Not a real accomplishment there either.

coloskier
10-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Don't worry. With Henin and Clijsters coming back, this malady won't last very long.

jamesblakefan#1
10-23-2009, 09:11 AM
Didnt serena take back her #1 when she lost to petrova in the 3rd round at the china open? Not a real accomplishment there either.

And Safina takes #1 coming off of two losses to players ranked #132 & #226...great accomplishment.

Neither one has a complete resume, but I'd rather have the person who's at least won 2 slams this year and made at least QF of all slams as #1 than a person who loses to qualifiers ranked 100+ spots lower than her as #1.

Lionheart392
10-23-2009, 09:38 AM
This is not as innocent as you suggest. Remember, it was Safina--out of her own mouth this summer--who made the eternally moronic, defensive claim:

....which only shined a light on her being a false #1 with an inability to win slams--further hammered home by her U.S. open performance later this summer. She opened the door to more criticism, so she does take some responsibility for any disscusion of the issue.

Why are you so offended by that? She didn't say anything 'bad' so to speak. This girl has been hounded by criticism all year and maybe she understandably just wanted to shut people up. What should she say? 'No comment'? 'I'm a terrible #1'? 'Serena is the real #1?'.
Safina made that comment as the world #1 and that's her right, unlike Serena 'I'm the real #1 when I'm not actually #1' Williams.

jamesblakefan#1
10-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Why are you so offended by that? She didn't say anything 'bad' so to speak. This girl has been hounded by criticism all year and maybe she understandably just wanted to shut people up. What should she say? 'No comment'? 'I'm a terrible #1'? 'Serena is the real #1?'.
Safina made that comment as the world #1 and that's her right, unlike Serena 'I'm the real #1 when I'm not actually #1' Williams.

Well you shouldn't make it as if winning slams is meaningless, that's for sure.

Lionheart392
10-23-2009, 09:45 AM

You're being too dramatic. She didn't say winning slams is meaningless. What she said was that being #1 is more memorable than being a 1-slam wonder like Majoli. 1 slam takes 2 weeks of great play but taking the #1 rank is much harder. What she said isn't as unfathomable as you seem to think.

jamesblakefan#1
10-23-2009, 09:49 AM
You're being too dramatic. She didn't say winning slams is meaningless. What she said was that being #1 is more memorable than being a 1-slam wonder like Majoli. 1 slam takes 2 weeks of great play but taking the #1 rank is much harder. What she said isn't as unfathomable as you seem to think.

Well then why not say "I've been #1 now, it's time for me to win a slam, which I will" or something like that. She makes it seem like an either-or proposition.

Either way it was a poor choice of words.

drakulie
10-23-2009, 09:53 AM
http://i41.tinypic.com/15rjfk2.jpg

Lionheart392
10-23-2009, 09:55 AM
http://i41.tinypic.com/15rjfk2.jpg

Nice :)
Although Serena has 11 slams now.

CyBorg
10-23-2009, 09:55 AM
oh excellent, someone who really hasn't done anything at all gets back what really shouldn't belong to her.

It should belong to her. Safina has accumulated the most points over the past 12 months and therefore should be #1.

edmondsm
10-23-2009, 09:58 AM
It's ok guys. Henin is back. She will win some slams, get to #1, all will be right in the world ;)

Cesc Fabregas
10-23-2009, 10:00 AM
It should belong to her. Safina has accumulated the most points over the past 12 months and therefore should be #1.

Agreed. I don't care if Serena just wants to bother about the slams, but to whine about not being no.1 after is a joke, she shows no respect towards to the WTA and is not in Graf, Martina, Court, Evert etc league.

Chadwixx
10-23-2009, 10:02 AM

Not meaningless, just no where near the prestige of winning one on the atp. Winning a slam on the wta is the same as any other tournament throughout the year, its still 2 out 3 sets. There is no difference in a grand slam vs a master event, aside from the rest an out of shape serena gets inbetween matches.

THUNDERVOLLEY
10-23-2009, 12:35 PM
Well then why not say "I've been #1 now, it's time for me to win a slam, which I will" or something like that. She makes it seem like an either-or proposition.

Either way it was a poor choice of words.

Poor or idiotic. After all, Safina was being thick-skulled and defensive. History remembers 1 slam wonders more than one who held the #1 ranking--yet never won the defining prizes in the sport.

Safina is a fraud, and her defense proved it.

JankovicFan
10-23-2009, 01:50 PM
Serena's played 15 events this year. Safina's played 18. That's only 3 events difference. Stop it with this misconception that Serena doesn't play enough events.Well, they have to do more than show up. Safina is #1 because she performed at those events. Serena didn't go as deep as often. If she had, there would be no question about who was #1 by any measure. Lately though, Safina is pulling the same thing with early exits from tournaments.

Ripster
10-23-2009, 02:01 PM
It's ok guys. Henin is back. She will win some slams, get to #1, all will be right in the world ;)

I'm optimistic about next year. These last two years have been pathetic.

navratilovafan
10-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Safina performed well early in the year, but as of late she's been crap, and for her to still be ranked #1 is a joke, as much on the system as on Serena for not winning a freaking match and taking this girl out for good. Either way I see her time at #1 being short, she should lose that rank by the time the AO is over, that's IF Serena isn't banned.

Serena is defending a title in Australia which she is by no means a lock to defend. So it is no certainty Safina loses #1 there if Safina ends the year #1. I dont think Safina will repeat her final there but even a quarter or semi would keep her about the same to Serena if she lost in the semis or finals. Then if Serena lost in the quarters, Safina could lose 1st round and gain points.

Serendipitous
10-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Poor or idiotic. After all, Safina was being thick-skulled and defensive. History remembers 1 slam wonders more than one who held the #1 ranking--yet never won the defining prizes in the sport.

Safina is a fraud, and her defense proved it.

http://www.bubblecaption.com/edited_files/f695d01d637e89fa68532312c5157694.jpg

THUNDERVOLLEY
10-23-2009, 10:12 PM
http://www.bubblecaption.com/edited_files/f695d01d637e89fa68532312c5157694.jpg

^ Textbook arrested behavior.

jamesblakefan#1
10-23-2009, 11:14 PM
Serena is defending a title in Australia which she is by no means a lock to defend. So it is no certainty Safina loses #1 there if Safina ends the year #1. I dont think Safina will repeat her final there but even a quarter or semi would keep her about the same to Serena if she lost in the semis or finals. Then if Serena lost in the quarters, Safina could lose 1st round and gain points.

Right now Safina leads Serena by >200 pts. So it could definitely change by the end of the YEC, if Safina continues to flame out.