PDA

View Full Version : Best stringing set-up for a mid size racquet?

jonahnaturals
10-23-2009, 07:39 AM
Hi everyone,

I love the feel of natural gut (Babolat Tonic) in my new volkl DNX 10 mids, but I'm finding that these strings make it natural to hit flatter shots, and though I like the extra power that I'm getting, I prefer to impart more top spin on the ball for greater margin of error.

When I played with the Babolat AeroPro Drive with cortex, I found that I could put a great deal of topspin on the ball without a huge amount of effort.

If you have experience with a mid size racquet along with a game that involves significant top spin, could you please provide me with suggestions on a stringing set up? I have my own stringer, so I can experiment with a variety of set ups.

I'm thinking Luxilon ALU spin or rough in the mains and natural gut in the crosses, like Andy Murray, but Lendl and Federer seem to do well with the opposite set up - some rough poly in the crosses with gut in the mains.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Ben

Superman1272
10-23-2009, 08:04 AM
see my signature. I love this set-up.

I play around with strings as, I too, have my own stringer, but I always come back to this.

I do not hit alot of topspin on my groundstrokes usually... I am a serve and volley type of player for the most part. But the 18g set up allows me to turn up the spin if I so desire. It also helps generate great kick and slice on my serves.

The Klip NG is reasonable, price-wise, as is the Babolat Pro Hurricane.

jonahnaturals
10-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Awesome, thanks. Do you find that 18 G Hurricane is easier on the arm than 16 G?

Superman1272
10-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Oh, yeah! Pro Hurricane 18g is pretty soft... at least as far as polys go anyways (according to this website: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200809/200809allstrings.html )

I get a lot of feel out of it and I have not had arm issues. I used to use the same set-up in a Yonex RQS-33 before the KPS88 and had no problems there either.

I am not very familiar with the Volkl DNX mid... What type of pattern are we talking about here? Is it pretty open like the KPS88, or more dense like the Head Prestige line?