PDA

View Full Version : How to win?

dunlo
10-23-2009, 07:42 AM
Hi
I was not able to play for 6 months due to inner elbow.
Now i play rarely and play tourneys.
I only win the matches to players who are really half of my ability.
So what to do other then practice..

JRstriker12
10-23-2009, 07:53 AM
The answer is, you don't win.

If you rarely play and don't want to/or can't practice - there's no magical way to win. Especially if you have the attitude that your are losing to people who are worse than you.

... "I only win the matches to players who are really half of my ability"...

If you beat to people who are 50% as good as you but lose to people who are only 50% as good as you, that means you are overrating your self by at least 50% ;)

dunlo
10-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Well i guess i have to play more.
Since i never pushed the game ihave to be in good form.

Mick
10-23-2009, 12:51 PM
it's better to lose to players who are 1% better than you are than to win against players who are half your ability, imo -- there is no challenge in winning against somebody who is not at your level.

that is, unless you make a living out of playing tennis.

xFullCourtTenniSx
10-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Hi
I was not able to play for 6 months due to inner elbow.
Now i play rarely and play tourneys.
I only win the matches to players who are really half of my ability.
So what to do other then practice..

Play more matches with a competitive factor (so tournament matches and practice matches with a small bet on the outcome) and focus on the parts of your game you want to work on. Focus on hitting that shot as much as possible without fear or hesitation. Accelerate the racket and use a full swing. Think of how you can use it in the match to help you win, and execute that plan. You have to learn to forget about losing and focus on nothing but execution to win every point you can. (That last sentence also hints at don't make any errors, but expect to make a lot until you get significantly better)

Tiebreaks also help strengthen up the nerves under pressure since every point has a heavy say on the outcome.

TennisVet
10-25-2009, 07:34 PM
believe u can win and your probability of winning has significantly gone up

JRstriker12
10-26-2009, 06:29 AM

LOL! "I believe I can win against Federer." - did my chances of winning just go up???

If winning was about wishful thinking, why do people have to practice and put work into thier games to get better?

Mr.Brightside
10-26-2009, 12:39 PM

this is actually very true. but you don't want to think that it will be a breeze and that you'll win no matter what, but believe that if you play hard and well you an win.

JRstriker12
10-26-2009, 01:25 PM
this is actually very true. but you don't want to think that it will be a breeze and that you'll win no matter what, but believe that if you play hard and well you an win.

Sorry man, but it's just not.....

"Wish upon a star" type belief won't get you anywhere.

That belief has to be backed up with something. Playing well requires alot of work - practice - actual match play. If you put in the work to play well, then by all means, step on the court believing you can play well and win.

But if you actually look at the OP's statement - hasn't played for a while, doesn't or can't practice, can't beat players on his own level who do put in thier work, then simply believing won't get him anywhere....

Steady Eddy
10-26-2009, 01:45 PM
You don't need to win alot of points or even more than half the points. Just be sure you always win the last point of the match.

r2473
10-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Cheat.

According to league and tournament rules, if you are in doubt at all, call it out. And if you aren't in doubt, call it out anyway.

Cheating on critical points takes the place of years of practice.

Mr.Brightside
10-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Sorry man, but it's just not.....

"Wish upon a star" type belief won't get you anywhere.

That belief has to be backed up with something. Playing well requires alot of work - practice - actual match play. If you put in the work to play well, then by all means, step on the court believing you can play well and win.

But if you actually look at the OP's statement - hasn't played for a while, doesn't or can't practice, can't beat players on his own level who do put in thier work, then simply believing won't get him anywhere....

well obviously believing you're gonna win won't make you win. it'll slightly improve your chances of winning though.

and i'm only saying this works if you're playing someone near your level, where the match could go either way. obviously if you believe you can win against federer you're still not gonna have any chance.

Falloutjr
10-26-2009, 04:36 PM
Before you can learn how to win, you have to learn how not to lose. By not beating yourself, you run down every ball 100% speed and don't hit excessive unforced errors, don't double fault, play within yourself, and don't beat yourself up after a point; always keep your head high.

Then, once you learn how to do those, then you can learn how to win. Going for your shots when you get the chance (hitting the shot you feel you can make on a regular basis for winners), attacking short balls and putting pressure on your opponents, pinpointing your opponent's weaknesses and attacking them.

There's no way to ensure victory, but you can do what you can to minimize your chances of losing, and maximize your chances of winning, which make a big difference.

defrule
10-27-2009, 09:43 AM
LOL all the believing is funny, deja vu!

Mick
10-27-2009, 10:17 AM
--duplicate post ---

Mick
10-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Before you can learn how to win, you have to learn how not to lose. By not beating yourself, you run down every ball 100% speed and don't hit excessive unforced errors, don't double fault, play within yourself, and don't beat yourself up after a point; always keep your head high...

there's a guy i know who does not like to lose so he would only play with people he believes he can beat and he would get very upset if they beat him :shock: