PDA

View Full Version : Height in tennis

icazares
10-23-2009, 10:01 AM
What do you think of this simple stat: The only top 10 player shorter than Federer is Davydenko. Federer and Nadal have the same height. The other 7 players are taller.

nikdom
10-23-2009, 10:11 AM
The future of tennis is volleyball?

icazares
10-23-2009, 10:13 AM
The future of tennis is volleyball?

If that means that players will come more often to the net, I'm all for it!

MajinX
10-23-2009, 10:14 AM
Umm being shorter than someone isnt a stat..... lol obvs if you pick a short person theres gonna be less ppl shorter than him. If you want to talk about heights you have to actually have some heights, max heights, average heights etc. Saying alot of ppl are taller than fed isnt giving us much.

nikdom
10-23-2009, 10:18 AM
If that means that players will come more often to the net, I'm all for it!

:) nice

10 chars

JRstriker12
10-23-2009, 10:23 AM
What do you think of this simple stat: The only top 10 player shorter than Federer is Davydenko. Federer and Nadal have the same height. The other 7 players are taller.

I think it means that being above average in height can be helpful in pro tennis. But as we see with Ivo, being super tall and lacking movement can only take you so far.

Haven't most players in the modern era been relatively tall anyway?

Fed's 6'1" which is tall, but not super tall. Del Potro is 6'6" which is fairly tall...for tennis, but not all that tall in a sport like b-ball.

Ledigs
10-23-2009, 10:31 AM

One of the reasons why top women will lose to even low ranked men

Power Player
10-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Poor Levine may as well quit right now..lol.

Danstevens
10-23-2009, 11:23 AM

There's a simple response to that (IMO), taller doesn't necessarily mean better in tennis as long as you play the game that best suits your body type. Obviously, being tall has certain advantages, as does being smaller. Federer and Nadal are probably around the "happy" medium as they aren't really small but then they're not huge in terms of height either.

Datacipher
10-23-2009, 12:34 PM
One of the reasons why top women will lose to even low ranked men

This "reason" is so trivial that it doesn't even bear mention. Rios...heck, ROCHUS, could beat all the tallest women in his sleep. Nothing to do with height. Almost every woman on the tour now is significantly taller than him. In fact, there isn't a single case in pro tennis where a tall woman and a short man will be even remotely close to having the disparity between them neutralized.

Why do you keep making irrational/illogical posting about men vs women, when you clearly know nothing about competitive tennis/athletics. (SEE RUNNING FOREHAND THREAD in former pro player talk)

Ledigs
10-23-2009, 01:28 PM
This "reason" is so trivial that it doesn't even bear mention. Rios...heck, ROCHUS, could beat all the tallest women in his sleep. Nothing to do with height. Almost every woman on the tour now is significantly taller than him. In fact, there isn't a single case in pro tennis where a tall woman and a short man will be even remotely close to having the disparity between them neutralized.

Why do you keep making irrational/illogical posting about men vs women, when you clearly know nothing about competitive tennis/athletics. (SEE RUNNING FOREHAND THREAD in former pro player talk)

I said one of the reasons. It's mostly physique, not talent that separates men from women in tennis. and all other sports.

Datacipher
10-23-2009, 02:10 PM
I said one of the reasons. It's mostly physique, not talent that separates men from women in tennis. and all other sports.

It depends on what you define as "physique". Height is definitely LEAST representative of this. Speed, strength, power, etc are FAR more important. Even implying that "height" is a key, is simplistic and misleading. I suspect your sexism and emotional bias cause you to make overbearing statements.

Dark Victory
10-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Height is very important in tennis.

Especially now that the prototype has most everyone over 6 ft tall. It's a function of sports evolution. There will always be room for smaller players with ability, but they're a minority.

Yes, certain games seem to favor smaller body types (Hewitt and Michael Chang's counterpunching style suits their height). But the individuals we're talking about here constitute the short-but-gifted population which is more like the exception than the norm.

And even then, there's a reason why we often hear things like: "Can you imagine if Andre was 6'1-6'2 instead of being 5'10-5'11?"

If someone who is gifted but stands only 5'8-5'9, would he be appraised as highly as someone similarly gifted but is 6'2-6'3? I think not.

Can you imagine if Rafael Nadal was below 6 ft? (because the norm now is having players 6'2 and above, this is something a lot of people don't seem to realize. Rafa is tall). As talented as he is, he still would've been at a tremendous disadvantage.

sh@de
10-23-2009, 11:46 PM
Height is very important in tennis.

Especially now that the prototype has most everyone over 6 ft tall. It's a function of sports evolution. There will always be room for smaller players with ability, but they're a minority.

Yes, certain games seem to favor smaller body types (Hewitt and Michael Chang's counterpunching style suits their height). But the individuals we're talking about here constitute the short-but-gifted population which is more like the exception than the norm.

And even then, there's a reason why we often hear things like: "Can you imagine if Andre was 6'1-6'2 instead of being 5'10-5'11?"

If someone who is gifted but stands only 5'8-5'9, would he be appraised as highly as someone similarly gifted but is 6'2-6'3? I think not.

Can you imagine if Rafael Nadal was below 6 ft? (because the norm now is having players 6'2 and above, this is something a lot of people don't seem to realize. Rafa is tall). As talented as he is, he still would've been at a tremendous disadvantage.

Or something like if Coria were above 6 ft. The guy may have actually won some slams and wouldn't have retired so soon.

lawrence
10-24-2009, 12:21 AM
I think it's pretty important. Not saying that if you're tall you automatically win, but the height advantage really comes in handy for serving (one of the most important factors in tennis), and also gives a considerable amount of advantage for flatter shots, coverage at the net due to wingspan etc.