PDA

View Full Version : Tension Retention: Syn. Gut / Multi

peli_kan
10-23-2009, 10:02 AM
I'm looking for a string to use and recommend to friends that won't go dead before breaking. I myself hit a flat ball, and need strings that will stay crisp for as long as possible so that I never have to cut them out unless they break. Are there standout synthetic guts or multifilaments that possess this property?

Again: HIGH tension retention, LOW durability, HIGH playability (crisp but soft, not boardy)

Thanks guys!

larry10s
10-23-2009, 10:56 AM
natural gut

xHBvi3tbOix
10-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Gosen OG Sheep Micro. 29.99 a reel, easy to string. Good tension maintenance. Crisp, but not as crisp as reaction or prince syn gut w/ duraflex. and it is durable, but not quite as durable as most syn guts like gamma syn gut or prince syn gut w/ duraflex. I havent tried princ syn gut w/o duraflex so I wouldnt know how that feels

Jonny S&V
10-23-2009, 09:41 PM
I would first check into Gosen OG Micro, a steal in terms of playability to price. If that is breaking too often on you, I would try out Babolat Superfine Play. A little more durable and control oriented then the Gosen, but $10 more and a little less feel.

SteveI
10-24-2009, 04:17 AM
Gosen OG Sheep Micro. 29.99 a reel, easy to string. Good tension maintenance. Crisp, but not as crisp as reaction or prince syn gut w/ duraflex. and it is durable, but not quite as durable as most syn guts like gamma syn gut or prince syn gut w/ duraflex. I havent tried princ syn gut w/o duraflex so I wouldnt know how that feels

Gosen is the way to go.. 29.99 a REEL. Plays Crisp.. good tension. If you hit a flat ball... strings should hold up well.

ryangoring
10-24-2009, 08:13 AM
Definitely the Gosen is the way to go.
A very good all around in all categories string. Great in hybrids and as a stand alone.

dincuss
10-24-2009, 08:25 AM
X-1 Biphase 17.

Meets all of your standards and has decent durability

peli_kan
10-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Aha, perfect. I'd already commited myself to a couple reels of GOGSM so it's good to hear that this string comes out on top. I'll buy a few sets of X-1 Biphase 17 just to see what the buzz is about, but I have a feeling that GOGSM will be my go to string.

Thanks guys!

ricardo
10-25-2009, 09:00 AM
this link may help...

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200809/200809allstrings.html

peli_kan
10-25-2009, 12:27 PM
this link may help...

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200809/200809allstrings.html

That may be one of the most useful links I've ever come across. Thanks!

Natural gut is looking very promising. From a tension retention + playability standpoint, it can't be beat as far as I can tell. Once I get more confident with stringing, I'm definitely slapping some 17g Gaucho gut onto some lower powered frames.