PDA

View Full Version : Play to win or Play to look good?

skyzoo
10-23-2009, 03:41 PM
this might apply to someone who has a friend, coach, recruiter, family and possibly pet watching their match. Your normal "perfect, fluid game" isn't fazing your opponent. Do you keep on keeping on with it or do you throw in a lob or some uglier off speed, less technically sound shots?

user92626
10-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Well, lob when done right is beautiful, and so is an off-speed like Djo's drop shot. A supposedly beautiful, extreme paced FH ball shot at your opponent who's at the net and comfortably put it away is right down ugly (and even make you look stupid), right? haha So, not sure what your point is.

winning and looking good are synonymous. In the case you think you look like $h#% and still win, your oppon must look $h!tt!er. So in relativity you still look good.

LuckyR
10-23-2009, 04:30 PM
At first glance this would seem to be a silly question, you play competitively to win, right? But it is true that there are those who are happy to lose "beautifully". Of course such an attitude is ultimately a cop-out, that they are unwilling to put themselves on the line and take a loss as a loss, they are searching for the asterisk to put by the loss so it doesn't hurt their egos as much.

Cody
10-23-2009, 05:02 PM
Both......... :)

skyzoo
10-23-2009, 05:31 PM
At first glance this would seem to be a silly question, you play competitively to win, right? But it is true that there are those who are happy to lose "beautifully". Of course such an attitude is ultimately a cop-out, that they are unwilling to put themselves on the line and take a loss as a loss, they are searching for the asterisk to put by the loss so it doesn't hurt their egos as much.
Exactly. When I was first making some videos I really noticed I would literraly do anything to win. Anything. Try stupid, extremly stupid no-pace serves, forehands and the rest. It looked god awful but I got a W

sheets
10-23-2009, 05:39 PM
I just play to play well.

Knightmace
10-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Most people will play to win

skyzoo
10-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Most people will play to win
Some people have huge ego's though. I knew a kid who quit a match while a college recruiter was watching because his ankle was killing him. after the match he told me that he quit because he couldn't hit a forehand and he saved himself the embarresment. He was winning 6-4, 3-1.

Cloud Atlas
10-23-2009, 06:24 PM
I just play to play well.

That's exactly how I feel. When I step off the court, I'd rather feel like I played well, than feel like I won by any means possible. I'd like to feel like I improved in some areas, played to my game plan and hopefully put myself in a position to win next time. I'd rather feel like that than win by slicing my forehands lobbing my backhands.

WildVolley
10-23-2009, 06:31 PM
I don't buy the premise of this post that uglier shots are more effective. You can mix up the pace and spin without hitting with some sort of awkward looking strokes.

In the long run, players who refuse to correct poor form usually don't advance as quickly as those who try to use smooth technique. Even Santoro looks smooth with his unorthodox style.

downdaline
10-23-2009, 07:05 PM
You look good when you win. So win.

Blake0
10-23-2009, 08:01 PM
I understand at what you're getting at, but winning comes first. If you have to play ugly to win, go ahead. If you don't have to and you're playing ugly...that's a different story.

xFullCourtTenniSx
10-23-2009, 10:02 PM
I always look good when I play, so it doesn't matter to me. :)

But if I had more professional looking attire, it would add to the whole joy of watching me play. XP

GuyClinch
10-23-2009, 10:47 PM
Well it depends. As a recreational player if I am playing singles I will try to work on things - and this might increase my chance of losing. However if you want to get better in limited practice time - even just a little bit better you have to do that..

For example - I want to learn to "hit out" on my groundstrokes at a much higher rate. Your going to miss some in the beginning why trying something like that. Sometimes I don't get enough topspin on my shots and I miss long..very long even.

Likewise if you want to hit a nice second serve - your going to risk some double faults..

If however a buddy of yours was beating you and you decided you wanted to "win" this match.. Then maybe you go all out and try to win any way you can... Likewise if your in a league match you might go for the win.

I don't think thats good for your game though. For the same reason doubles can bother me. Often you have a partner that's really intent on winning so you end up dialing down your game.

Pete

Golden Retriever
10-23-2009, 10:58 PM
Nobody plays for the exercise??

Lotto
10-24-2009, 03:02 AM
^^ Get fit to play tennis, not play tennis to get fit.

This is one of my main problems in competitions. I'm not mentally mature on a tennis court yet which is my downfall. I try to hit the best shots all of the time and try and look good rather then playing the percentages etc. Like I get ****ed off if I'm not striking the ball cleanly but still hitting winners and winning, I HATE that! Dont ask why! I'm a perfectionist unfortunely, especially on a tennis court.

Surfy111
10-24-2009, 04:09 AM
WINNING ,,, not getting anything abt looking good.
hook or crook. as long as you dont cheat

Jay_The_Nomad
10-24-2009, 08:12 AM
Depends. If I know i'm having an off-day and junkballing might help me get through, then i'll just junkball & do what's necessary.

But if i'm playing someone who's of a much higher standard & I know I'll have to play really really well in order to beat him, I'll rather stick to my normal game & lose while playing my A GAme than junk ball my way to defeat.

defrule
10-24-2009, 08:55 AM
Looks means everything to me in tennis.

Serve, groundstrokes, volleys, footwork, even when shanking. When you shank, do it with a stroke that looks like it would have been a good shot not some feeble reaction shot.

tikkimonkey
10-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Depends. If I know i'm having an off-day and junkballing might help me get through, then i'll just junkball & do what's necessary.

But if i'm playing someone who's of a much higher standard & I know I'll have to play really really well in order to beat him, I'll rather stick to my normal game & lose while playing my A GAme than junk ball my way to defeat.

I agree.

trix123
10-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Depends on the situation. If you are clearly better than him, you have to look good.

ubermeyer
10-24-2009, 11:39 AM
If a coach was watching, I would probably stay away from outright pushing, although that is the best way to win sometimes.

However, usually I'd play to win, however possible.

Camilio Pascual
10-25-2009, 09:07 AM
Your normal "perfect, fluid game" isn't fazing your opponent. Do you keep on keeping on with it or do you throw in a lob or some uglier off speed, less technically sound shots?
I disagree with your assumptions, there is nothing inherently less technically sound about one type of shot as opposed to another. I'll agree there are strategically unsound shots, but they vary widely amongst players and particular matchups.
The #1 pro tennis player I model my game on plays an arrhythmic style to prevent the opponent from getting into a groove. This player has said in interviews that she tries to never hit the same ball twice. She will vary spin, depth, pace, etc. at all times.
This very same player is also noted for having very technically sound strokes.
Martina Hingis