PDA

View Full Version : Best seats to watch live tennis?

BetterAtDoubles
10-23-2009, 08:54 PM
It's been a while since I've watched live pro level tennis. Last time was WTT in the early 90s or late 80s in a fairly small venue, and I don't really remember where I sat. I was just kind of wonder from TT members what your experience has been watching live tennis and what you'd recommend. It seems like center court opposite the umpire would be good (almost anywhere in 102-104), but maybe behind one side is actually cool, too. I've included a picture of the arena seating chart for you reference. I'm not even sure that the blue area in 102-104 would be worth the extra money.

http://images.tickets.com/images/privatelabel/HMAN_TENNIS_SMAP.jpg

westside
10-23-2009, 09:03 PM
From experience, i'd say that sitting opposite the umpires chair is pretty good. Really show's how hard the players hit the ball.

However, my favourite place to sit is definately behind the baseline. It too shows how hard the players hit but it also gives you a great perspective of how much spin the players put on the ball

So it's really up to you, but i'd say anything from 102-110. Try to avoid sitting behind the umpire :)

8pNADAL
10-23-2009, 09:29 PM
i hate the side-on view

Tshooter
10-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Long-winded answer below.

It really depends on what vantage point you prefer. But generally with tennis the closer to the court the better. And behind the court are usually more expensive then the sides and considered the most desirable. You don't have to spend the match swinging your head from side to side. And you are less likely to be obstructed (depending on the venue and how high the seats are built off the court it is possible to occasionally be obstructed by a linesperson or ballkid if you are behind and in the front row.).

In terms of the sides, almost every outside court has the umpire on the West side (probably because tennis starts later in the day so the sun would be to the umps back the majority of the day and not in his eyes). So if you want to be in the sun, pick the side opposite the ump. The ump side is usually prefered because most people don't want to be looking into the sun. But the umps chair can block you if you are too close and to the center.

TV cameras are usually on the side opposite the ump so, again, you can be blocked if you are too close to the court and in teh middle by the cameras.

Me, I would go with Blue, behind the court for the best view.

Enjoy yourself.

Bud
10-23-2009, 09:52 PM
It's been a while since I've watched live pro level tennis. Last time was WTT in the early 90s or late 80s in a fairly small venue, and I don't really remember where I sat. I was just kind of wonder from TT members what your experience has been watching live tennis and what you'd recommend. It seems like center court opposite the umpire would be good (almost anywhere in 102-104), but maybe behind one side is actually cool, too. I've included a picture of the arena seating chart for you reference. I'm not even sure that the blue area in 102-104 would be worth the extra money.

http://images.tickets.com/images/privatelabel/HMAN_TENNIS_SMAP.jpg

Sections 109, 110 or 111 :)

The angled seat are the best... and in those sections you won't have sun in your eyes.

After 109-111 the next choice would be 107-108 followed by 105-106

kOaMaster
10-24-2009, 01:08 AM
107-109 in the middle.

jimbo333
10-24-2009, 01:42 AM
Sections 109, 110 or 111 :)

The angled seat are the best... and in those sections you won't have sun in your eyes.

After 109-111 the next choice would be 107-108 followed by 105-106

Absolutely agree:)

The angle gives a really good perspective on all shots, and you are still relatively close to the players!

That was the view I got of the Hewitt/Roddick Quarter Final at Wimbledon this year, and it's without a doubt the best view I've ever had of a live tennis match:)

batz
10-24-2009, 01:47 AM
My seat for finals day of the ATP world Tour in London is 14 rows back with a diagonal view:twisted:

jimbo333
10-24-2009, 01:56 AM
My seat for finals day of the ATP world Tour in London is 14 rows back with a diagonal view:twisted:

Very jealous, I doubt there is a better view anywhere else of the match!

But are you looking forward to Davydenko vs Tsonga:twisted:

batz
10-24-2009, 02:54 AM
Very jealous, I doubt there is a better view anywhere else of the match!

But are you looking forward to Davydenko vs Tsonga:twisted:

:)

I'll be happy whoever I see to be honest. Would love it to be Murray v Roger, but if it's Davy v Tsonga then that'll be just fine.