PDA

View Full Version : How to prevent shankfest?

DarthCow
10-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Hi everyone.

A problem has come across me lately, and its that I'm popping strings abnormally often.

So far in 2 months, I've snapped:

Big Ace 16
SPPP 16
Hyperion Mains, High Tec Premium Crosses Hybrid. (both 16)
Topspin CyberBlue

All these have been at 55lbs, which is definitely not high. Only the Big Ace was not a shank.

There is nothing wrong with the stringjob, but it seems as though I'm breaking these strings at the top of the frame every 2 weeks or so. The breaks are about 2-3 cms from the frame.

This is not something I can stop doing. The sweetspot is around there on my racquet, and whenever i break the strings, the shots i hit were normal rally shots that didn't spray across the court. I don't even hear it break.

What kind of strings will withstand these shots?
I'm ordering a reel of unbranded Synthetic Gut, however I would like to hybrid it with a cheap poly because I'm sick of forking out ~$35 AU every couple of weeks for strings that pop that often.

Which cheap poly reel would you recommend for me?
Are there alternatives to resorting to cheap strings????

xFullCourtTenniSx
10-23-2009, 11:41 PM
Hi everyone.

A problem has come across me lately, and its that I'm popping strings abnormally often.

So far in 2 months, I've snapped:

Big Ace 16
SPPP 16
Hyperion Mains, High Tec Premium Crosses Hybrid. (both 16)
Topspin CyberBlue

All these have been at 55lbs, which is definitely not high. Only the Big Ace was not a shank.

There is nothing wrong with the stringjob, but it seems as though I'm breaking these strings at the top of the frame every 2 weeks or so. The breaks are about 2-3 cms from the frame.

This is not something I can stop doing. The sweetspot is around there on my racquet, and whenever i break the strings, the shots i hit were normal rally shots that didn't spray across the court. I don't even hear it break.

What kind of strings will withstand these shots?
I'm ordering a reel of unbranded Synthetic Gut, however I would like to hybrid it with a cheap poly because I'm sick of forking out ~$35 AU every couple of weeks for strings that pop that often.

Which cheap poly reel would you recommend for me?
Are there alternatives to resorting to cheap strings????

Fix your swing and stop pulling bull on us. The trampoline effect is in the center of the strings, maybe even slightly towards the handle. The sweet spot is NOT near the top. Even if you added massive amounts of lead at 12 o'clock, the sweet spot STILL won't be so far up that you're guilt free when you shank the ball.

If you break strings because you shank, then the solution is obvious: HIT THE CENTER OF THE STRINGS... -.- You CAN stop doing it. You're just too bloody lazy to put any effort into it...

Good luck with your tennis... You'll need it... :???:

mikeler
10-24-2009, 02:54 AM
Check your grommets.

Irvin
10-24-2009, 04:52 AM
Looking for a cheap reel Gosen Polylon is as cheap as they come at 30 USD.

You say there is nothing wrong with the string job. I would not recommend doing this often but try pulling tension on two mains at a time and never clamp the string in the head of the racket. If you strings stop breaking rethink your statement. Pull all cross one string at a time and clamp as usual.

Irvin

Giant Baba
10-24-2009, 11:54 AM
I must laugh too much at name used for this. Shakfest! At least is so honest. Everybody knows hitting to sweetest spot of strings is only true cure so please try hitting there each time for perfection.

DarthCow
10-24-2009, 08:06 PM
Fix your swing and stop pulling bull on us. The trampoline effect is in the center of the strings, maybe even slightly towards the handle. The sweet spot is NOT near the top. Even if you added massive amounts of lead at 12 o'clock, the sweet spot STILL won't be so far up that you're guilt free when you shank the ball.

If you break strings because you shank, then the solution is obvious: HIT THE CENTER OF THE STRINGS... -.- You CAN stop doing it. You're just too bloody lazy to put any effort into it...

Good luck with your tennis... You'll need it... :???:

Well thanks for that.I worded the title wrong, but are you saying that you've never missed the sweetspot on your racquet? If so, I will bow down to you. I was simply asking for some suggestions of strings that can withstand the occasional shank. Problem is solved now.

Mikeler, I have the most thanks for you. I looked at my grommets only on the outside on the frame before i posted the thread, however today I took out the grommet set and found one particular grommet was fraying/splintering.

mikeler
10-25-2009, 03:05 AM
Well thanks for that.I worded the title wrong, but are you saying that you've never missed the sweetspot on your racquet? If so, I will bow down to you. I was simply asking for some suggestions of strings that can withstand the occasional shank. Problem is solved now.

Mikeler, I have the most thanks for you. I looked at my grommets only on the outside on the frame before i posted the thread, however today I took out the grommet set and found one particular grommet was fraying/splintering.

Cool, glad I could help. I'm the ShankMaster General, so anytime I break a string close to the grommets, I always try and look there first.

xFullCourtTenniSx
10-25-2009, 03:30 AM
I must laugh too much at name used for this. Shakfest!

The difference between shakfest and shankfest is pretty huge in definition. I doubt the OP would protest to a shakfest if he's actively participating. :)

The occasional shank shouldn't snap the strings unless you do a lot of them in the same place. Though I heard of ONE (and only one) string that snaps after a single shank at a certain location. I think it was a Technifibre string. Biphase perhaps? I'm not sure. Either way, it's definitely not one of the four you mentioned.

And using a 90, I'm bound to miss the sweetspot by an inch or two occasionally. But I hit a majority of my topspin shots on the upper half of the racket at contact (funny, I thought it was the other way). I hit it in the consistently center and consistently break my strings in the center of the stringbed if that's what you want to know.

Still, you should look to hit your shots much closer to the center of the strings, and do it consistently too! Then again... Doing this has caused me to go through strings much faster than I'd like... So either way, choose your poison. At least if you hit the center you know about when you'll break the strings and you'll produce a better shot.

fuzz nation
10-25-2009, 06:38 AM
You may want to consider a kevlar hybrid if you try to fix things and the breakage persists. Although it's about as unresilient as poly, some of our pals here have done well with it at rather low tension. Hey, it could be worth a try, right? After all, it's bullet proof!