PDA

View Full Version : Djokovic serve style/sampras

Surfy111
10-24-2009, 04:06 AM
i was watching a video on both of their serves..
i used to have a serve action much likes djokovic's . but i got a very bad pain on my left side of me lower back when im winding up for the serve at the ball toss and it gets worse at impact
can you tell me what can be wrong?

tricky
10-24-2009, 04:11 AM
but i got a very bad pain on my left side of me lower back when im winding up for the serve at the ball toss and it gets worse at impact

You're trying to emulate Djokovic's trunk lean with your lower back. That's a big no-no. Your overall balance may be thrown off as well.

Surfy111
10-24-2009, 06:57 AM
You're trying to emulate Djokovic's trunk lean with your lower back. That's a big no-no. Your overall balance may be thrown off as well.

i dont loose my balance though.. its the best action i've tried coz the lean back gives power and control:S
but i cant serve like that anymore coz my back gets very soar ..
why??

gzhpcu
10-24-2009, 08:16 AM
It is better to bend your knees and keep your back straight...

tricky
10-24-2009, 11:21 AM
why??

It's bad mechanics. During the windup, you shouldn't really feel the lower or upper back at all at any portion of it. That usually means that the lower back is acting as a counterbalance, because your weight is shifting backwards at some point in the windup. When this happens, as you initiate the upward service motion, the back ends up having to throw the bend the trunk forward on its own. This causes strain. Moreover, it also causes problems in later stages of the serve. Your pronation may be mistimed. When you land, you may be falling to your left. And so on.

The trunk tilt that you see with guys like Djokovic comes from other elements in their serve. It's actually a product of a very strong stretch coming from the abdominals and chest. In other words, any trunk tilt that you see comes from the front, not the back of the body.

Rule of thumb is that your center of gravity must always be moving into the court during the windup. That is your balance. If at any point, your balance moves backwards, then your back gets involved, and in addition you lose part or all of your kinetic chain.

One way to correct this is to shadow your toss and windup, with one foot lifted off the ground during the toss and windup motions. If your weight is not moving into the court, you'll fall backwards. This is also a good way to figure out what muscles should be involved in the windup.

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
10-24-2009, 03:05 PM
It's bad mechanics. During the windup, you shouldn't really feel the lower or upper back at all at any portion of it. That usually means that the lower back is acting as a counterbalance, because your weight is shifting backwards at some point in the windup. When this happens, as you initiate the upward service motion, the back ends up having to throw the bend the trunk forward on its own. This causes strain. Moreover, it also causes problems in later stages of the serve. Your pronation may be mistimed. When you land, you may be falling to your left. And so on.

The trunk tilt that you see with guys like Djokovic comes from other elements in their serve. It's actually a product of a very strong stretch coming from the abdominals and chest. In other words, any trunk tilt that you see comes from the front, not the back of the body.

Rule of thumb is that your center of gravity must always be moving into the court during the windup. That is your balance. If at any point, your balance moves backwards, then your back gets involved, and in addition you lose part or all of your kinetic chain.

One way to correct this is to shadow your toss and windup, with one foot lifted off the ground during the toss and windup motions. If your weight is not moving into the court, you'll fall backwards. This is also a good way to figure out what muscles should be involved in the windup.

this is a smart guy.
+1

xFullCourtTenniSx
10-24-2009, 03:34 PM
i dont loose my balance though.. its the best action i've tried coz the lean back gives power and control:S
why??

There's one VERY huge reason to this...

YOU'RE NOT DJOKOVIC!

It's the same reason why nobody can possibly serve like Sampras does. Their bodies are built differently. Different people have different levels of flexibility at different parts of their body.

Sampras' shoulder was perfectly built for pitching and was extremely elastic. I'm guessing we could say something similar for Djokovic's back in this case.

I can TRY to emulate Sampras' motion and look and feel good doing it, but I don't have Sampras' body so I can't pull it off nearly as well as he does, and my body wasn't built for that kind of serve.

Surfy111
10-25-2009, 04:25 AM

VERY VERY VERY SMART GUY.... thank thank thanks alot