PDA

View Full Version : What defines Power?

DRII
10-24-2009, 12:21 PM
What is 'power' when we are talking about ground strokes?

Is it pace or speed off the ground?

Is it the heaviness of the ball?

Is it spin?

Is it placement or direction?

With all these criteria, which player has the most power? (Now or back in the day).

DRII
10-24-2009, 12:28 PM
On the men's side I would say Federer has the most consistent power.

We all know he has the second highest amount of spin (RPM) off the ground after Nadal. However, he also takes the ball pretty early unlike Nadal and hits it heavier. I also think Federer's pace is quicker than Nadal's on average.

DelPotro hits a very heavy ball, but doesn't always take it as early.

Nole is very good at all the criteria but I don't think he is at the top of any category.

ubermeyer
10-24-2009, 12:34 PM

Is it spin?

With all these criteria, which player has the most power? (Now or back in the day).

Power is obviously pace and speed. This is the definition. The other things you are talking about are how to hit a GOOD shot, but power alone is the same exact thing as pace.

Claudius
10-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Power equals work divided by time.

viduka0101
10-24-2009, 12:54 PM

damn it, you beat me to it

Baikalic
10-24-2009, 02:44 PM
it is also I*V.

sh@de
10-24-2009, 09:15 PM

:D 10 chars.

rk_sports
10-26-2009, 02:33 PM

Is it spin?

IMO, it's a combo of Spin(=Heavy) and Speed, though hitting flat/hard can also be considered Power hitting!
With Nadal its mostly Spin/Heavy and with Fed its mostly flat/fast.
To me hardest hitting has to be the likes of Tsonga/Gnzo/Soderling

Bertie B
10-26-2009, 03:02 PM
IMO, it's a combo of Spin(=Heavy) and Speed, though hitting flat/hard can also be considered Power hitting!

Not really. The coach said, "Your forehand has a lot of spin, but no power."

Power = Pace = how many mph/fast the ball is coming at you.

VashTheStampede
10-26-2009, 03:25 PM
On the men's side I would say Federer has the most consistent power.

We all know he has the second highest amount of spin (RPM) off the ground after Nadal. However, he also takes the ball pretty early unlike Nadal and hits it heavier. I also think Federer's pace is quicker than Nadal's on average.

DelPotro hits a very heavy ball, but doesn't always take it as early.

Nole is very good at all the criteria but I don't think he is at the top of any category.

Even more than claycourters? Wow. Pretty interesting if it's true.

As for the original question, I personally think that spin and heaviness of the ball should be considered more when talking about power; but I think for the most part when people think of power, they think MPH's.

Federer_pilon
10-26-2009, 03:50 PM
it is also I*V.

or I^2 * R

Blake0
10-26-2009, 04:08 PM
For power, i think mph, which makes me think of safin and monfils..don't forget gonzalez...

dincuss
10-26-2009, 04:32 PM
(Force*Distance) / Time = Power

rk_sports
10-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Not really. The coach said, "Your forehand has a lot of spin, but no power."

Power = Pace = how many mph/fast the ball is coming at you.

I mean that for Heavy ball. Not necessarily power = 'only' speed or pace.
You can hit with high speed by combining timing & flat drive.. that to me is not Power hitting..

DRII
10-26-2009, 04:57 PM

thanks for posting an actual, versus smart allic, answer!

Ofcourse the best thing would be to have everything: pace, heaviness, and spin. But thats very hard to accomplish.

ubermeyer
10-26-2009, 05:47 PM

actually, no it's just pure speed. the other stuff defines a shot that is hard to return.

sh@de
10-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Power = pace

nereis
10-26-2009, 08:03 PM
To me, power is combination of just flat out hitting hard and heaviness of shot. You can hit flat and low but if theres no spin on the ball, as long as I can get a racket on there I'm going to be able to dig it out. But if the ball is just a spinny moonball, it may be difficult to return but it won't getting past anyone anytime soon unless its a very angled winner. A shot with both spin and pace can get you both ways, hard to get to AND hard to return. That to me explains why James Blake has a bad time with Federer. James has to hit the ball fast enough that Roger can't even get to it, not easy against someone with such good defense. While Roger can just rely on getting to the ball and returning it with another fast paced ball that has spin, thereby being able to capitalise on both outhitting, and forcing errors from Blake.

MuseFan
10-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Federer on hard & grass
Nadal on clay

big bang
10-27-2009, 05:32 AM
For power, i think mph, which makes me think of safin and monfils..don't forget gonzalez...

Safin yes, Gonzales yes, but Monfils??? hell no!

sh@de
10-27-2009, 06:57 AM
People who have power - Safin, Gulbis... Verdasco too. Soderling and DP as well.

bruce38
10-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Power = money x hot chicks.

akv89
10-27-2009, 09:01 AM
The addition of spin doesn't add much to the momentum of the ball, which is dependent almost completely on the speed of the ball. However, how heavy a shot feels does not just depend on how hard the ball is hit but also how clean a shot you can get on the ball. When the ball is spinny, it's harder to get a clean hit on the ball making it seem as though a spinny ball is heavier.

dropshot winner
10-27-2009, 09:02 AM
Power = money x hot chicks.
:)

Are you sure? I'd say:

Money + power = hot chicks.

Which leads us to:

Power = hot chicks - money.

jazzyfunkybluesy
10-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Del Pot or Gonzales.

DRII
10-28-2009, 09:05 AM
:)

Are you sure? I'd say:

Money + power = hot chicks.

Which leads us to:

Power = hot chicks - money.

LOL...
thats great

but its definitely: money * power = hot chicks (just ask JZ: {Beyoonce})