PDA

View Full Version : question for Signum Pro Blackline users

jk175d
10-24-2009, 12:06 PM
I'm going to string up a full bed of Signum Pro Tornado 17 (1.23) on my Youtek Radical MP (18x20) this week. I know from experience with Luxilon that I like their polys at 51 or 52lbs, which has felt to me like multi's at 58-60lbs.

So to those of you who have used any of these strings, where have you found is the best place to put your tension relative to where you liked Luxilon's or other polys?

I've read that these are softer feeling than luxilon so maybe a little higher tension is in order, but otoh, Signum Pro says these hold their tension better than other poly's and to tension them down.

I know that ultimately I'll have to experiment, but the strings are expensive so I want to try to make an educated guess about where to start tension-wise.

TIA

Murray_fan1
10-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Blackline Tornado is quite a bit softer than Luxilon, that being said I still think as it is a poly to start in the lower 50's (perhaps 53?) Signum Pro recommends 10% less than a regular synthetic set up due to it's great tension maintenance.

jk175d
10-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Blackline Tornado is quite a bit softer than Luxilon, that being said I still think as it is a poly to start in the lower 50's (perhaps 53?) Signum Pro recommends 10% less than a regular synthetic set up due to it's great tension maintenance.

so you have Hyperion at 58lbs... Have you used luxilon on the same frame? If so, at what tension was the lux?

Frankauc
10-24-2009, 01:22 PM
i ordered a reel of tornado 1.29mm this week. Since i string a full be of msv focus hex 1.18mm at 67lbs, i think i'll try 65lbs or so for tornado first.

Murray_fan1
10-24-2009, 01:42 PM
so you have Hyperion at 58lbs... Have you used luxilon on the same frame? If so, at what tension was the lux?

57 lbs with luxilon.

jk175d
10-24-2009, 01:47 PM
i ordered a reel of tornado 1.29mm this week. Since i string a full be of msv focus hex 1.18mm at 67lbs, i think i'll try 65lbs or so for tornado first.

wow, that seems like high tension for a poly. Seems like it would be extremely stiff!

jk175d
10-24-2009, 01:48 PM
57 lbs with luxilon.

thanks for the info. So I guess you feel they are fairly close tension-wise?

Does it seem to you that the Hyperion holds tension longer as advertised?

Frankauc
10-24-2009, 03:23 PM
wow, that seems like high tension for a poly. Seems like it would be extremely stiff!

maybe but my racke is flexy so it should be ok. I like my strings to be stiff. I get a better feeling like this. I dont like that my strings move too much, too difficult to control the ball.

Murray_fan1
10-24-2009, 04:13 PM
thanks for the info. So I guess you feel they are fairly close tension-wise?

Does it seem to you that the Hyperion holds tension longer as advertised?

I have not had the string go dead yet, that being said the hyperion does not last as long as Lux Alu, I usually break the string long before the string go dead. Durability is one of the only drawbacks I see with this string.

Storm_Kyori
10-24-2009, 04:19 PM
I say go with what you usually use. I have used polys/copoly at 62Lbs for as long as I've been playing. I just think it's better when comparing strings.

ClubHoUno
10-24-2009, 10:49 PM
I'd go with the same tension as Lux.

The Lux loses mich tension the first 24 hours, more the Tornado and much more than the Hyperion does.

So go with the same tension, remeber the Tornado is a soft Copoly and the Hyperion is almost as soft.
The Lux is stiff and boardy compared to the Signum Pro Blackline strings.

Hyperion has the best tension retention and tension stability of any CoPoly I've tried, the Tornado also has good tension maintenance, on par with the Tecnifibre Black Code, but not as great as the Hyperion in this regard though.