PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a string: Fischer mpro #1 98

Cloud Atlas
10-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Hi there,
I've never really mucked around with strings much before. I usually get a kevlar blend strung at about 57, and only ever worried about durability.
But now I've got my Fischers and they just feel so nice, that I don't won't to deaden them with Kevlar. I also don't want the eventual "deadness" of poly.
So I guess I'm looking for a good multi.
I've currently got them with Head Rip Control at 58lbs, which is nice, but just wondering if there's another option out there.
I serve and volley a lot, single handed backhand and full western forehand. The more spin the better.
I'm also thinking of stringing a bit lower this time. Maybe 55 just to check it out.
Any recommendations are appreciated!
Thanks.

mauricem
10-25-2009, 03:56 AM
Ive tried 3 setups so far in my mpro98s.

1. Full BB Alu, decent power but too stiff for my elbow. Dont know the tension as I bought 2nd hand, seller said string job was about 3 mnths old

2. Topspin CyberBlue mains 54, Gossen OG sg crosses 56. weight at 3 and 9. This works really well but when I restring Ill try lower tension. Nice depth on shots with plenty of spin. Good kick serves. Best combo so far by a fair margin.

3. Head Fibergel 16 mains 52, Gossen og crosses 54.
Vey soft feel as expected but surprisingly less power than the cyber blue setup?? Control was a bit off as well.

Next to try is a full job of x-1 biphase and the Cyberblue/gossen setup above at about 48.

Hopefully I wont like the x-1 too much as I cant afford it on a regular basis.:(

fuzz nation
10-25-2009, 07:53 AM
X-one is probably a great option - I think that softer strings can match up really well with softer racquets. You might also be fine with a 17 gauge syn. gut if you want a slightly more crisp alternative to a multi. That Biphase has some nice pop for a multi, but some of them can be too mushy or rubbbery for me, so I like to go with the thin synthetics. I've always preferred the 17 gauge over 16 since it seems to have better feel, etc. If you find that Tecnifibre string to be a bit pricey, you could also do it in a hybrid with a much cheaper cross.

One note about myself - durability is no big deal for me since I string my own gear, so take that into account. The 17 gauge options in syn. gut or multi may be less durable, but I don't consider them to be especially fragile. I'm not much of a string breaker and I play strong 4.0 singles and doubles.

tennis4josh
10-25-2009, 11:22 AM
I tried Yonex Tour Super 850 on the recommendation of another TT user and found it to be so much better than X1 or NXT. It's cheap, soft, powerful, durable (than NXT/X1), and seems to be holding tension very well. I have already clocked 20+ hours on a full job at 50lbs in my Mag Tour. There is hardly any notching or string movement.

I am planning to go 2lbs higher next time for more control (specially against heavy hitters). For more spin, you may try Pro version of this string which comes with a special coating to enhance string. I have not tried it yet, but I am going to try it when my current strings break.

Cloud Atlas
10-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks heaps for the responses people. I've done a bit of research into all the strings you suggested. My only concern with the polys is that most people indicate that they go dead after about 10 hours or sooner. I'm not made of cash at the mo, so my strings will have to last me a bit longer. Having said that, the Head RIP control could be set to break in under that time.
The Yonex Tour Super 850 sounds promising. My RIP control is quite notched, the strings have moved around a lot, and they have also frayed. Is this a function of multis? Or just RIP control?
Maybe a thinner gauge Kevlar blend is still best for me?

Lendl
10-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Technifibre NRG 17 worked great for me.

righty
10-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Hi there,
I've never really mucked around with strings much before. I usually get a kevlar blend strung at about 57, and only ever worried about durability.
But now I've got my Fischers and they just feel so nice, that I don't won't to deaden them with Kevlar. I also don't want the eventual "deadness" of poly.
So I guess I'm looking for a good multi.
I've currently got them with Head Rip Control at 58lbs, which is nice, but just wondering if there's another option out there.
I serve and volley a lot, single handed backhand and full western forehand. The more spin the better.
I'm also thinking of stringing a bit lower this time. Maybe 55 just to check it out.
Any recommendations are appreciated!
Thanks.

Technifibre NRG2 16 in the Mains 53 lbs
Unique Poly 17 in the crosses 50 lbs.

If you want to do all multifilament, use Technifibre NRG2 17 at 53 lbs.

The low tension *is* important.

My game is similar to yours except that I use a semi-western forehand. I tried several strings and combos, but the above is what works best for me with the M Pro 98

iTennis
10-26-2009, 06:02 PM
Thanks heaps for the responses people. I've done a bit of research into all the strings you suggested. My only concern with the polys is that most people indicate that they go dead after about 10 hours or sooner. I'm not made of cash at the mo, so my strings will have to last me a bit longer. Having said that, the Head RIP control could be set to break in under that time.
The Yonex Tour Super 850 sounds promising. My RIP control is quite notched, the strings have moved around a lot, and they have also frayed. Is this a function of multis? Or just RIP control?
Maybe a thinner gauge Kevlar blend is still best for me?

Topspin CyberFlash 17 easily lasts over 10 hrs for me, typically 15 hrs or more.

I have been playing CF17 full poly for about a year with MPro #1, and now looking for a bit more power and touch. I am experimenting syn gut and multi to hybrid with, either poly main or cross. So far I l like PSG original 16 main @53 and CF17 cross @50, 12 hours and PSG is about 30% notched but still plays as good.

Deck
10-26-2009, 08:41 PM
I've used Pacific XForce 17 in the mains and any syn gut in the crosses and get over twenty hours of play.