PDA

View Full Version : Strings for Serve and Volley?

G-12
10-24-2009, 08:54 PM
What is the best string setup for K90, regarding the serve and volley style of play?

Jonny S&V
10-24-2009, 10:14 PM
What is the best string setup for K90, regarding the serve and volley style of play?

Well... Since I'm a S&Ver, I feel the need to comment.

If you're a 3.5 or below, I would suggest full synthetic gut/multifilament. At this level you're still learning, and this set-up will give you added feel. You could play around with a poly hybrid (poly mains, syn gut/multi crosses), but start out with a co-poly. If you are a 3.5 or above, you could still do full syn gut/multi, but at this level you are most likely breaking strings quite often, so a poly hybrid would be a money saver. If you feel like you're still launching the ball, you could try out full poly. I have and must say that my game has improved a lot. If you are on a budget, a good synthetic gut to try is Gosen OG Micro, a good multi would be Pro Supex Maxim Touch, and a good poly would be Topspin Cyberflash/Cyberblue.

ClubHoUno
10-24-2009, 11:06 PM

Easy one :D

You ask about the best - so money is not a big concern here.
I will use this setup in my 3 new Babolat Pure Storm Limited GT racquets - best setup ever for A S&V player and for doubles.

Mains: Babolat VS TOUCH 16
- the thicker gauge will give you some extra hours for you $
Crosses: Babolat VS TEAM 17 - the thinner gauge here will add to the overall comfort and power, but as the mains normally break first, the thinner gauge in the crosses will only add positive things and almost be as durable as an all 16 gauge setup.

Best setup ever for a serve & volley player unless you can get some of the custom made Babolat VS 18 GAUGE gut Sampars used in his hay days :)

wyutani
10-24-2009, 11:28 PM
gamma infinity. gamma livewire XP 16 or 17.

coloskier
10-25-2009, 03:43 PM
Whatever you do, stay away from a full poly setup. Multi, syn gut or gut is your best bet.

Valjean
10-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Well... Since I'm a S&Ver, I feel the need to comment.

If you're a 3.5 or below, I would suggest full synthetic gut/multifilament. At this level you're still learning, and this set-up will give you added feel. You could play around with a poly hybrid (poly mains, syn gut/multi crosses), but start out with a co-poly. If you are a 3.5 or above, you could still do full syn gut/multi, but at this level you are most likely breaking strings quite often, so a poly hybrid would be a money saver. If you feel like you're still launching the ball, you could try out full poly. I have and must say that my game has improved a lot. If you are on a budget, a good synthetic gut to try is Gosen OG Micro, a good multi would be Pro Supex Maxim Touch, and a good poly would be Topspin Cyberflash/Cyberblue.
You're surely the only one in here who believes that polys/copolys and a touch serve-and-volley net game have anything to do with one another.

Jonny S&V
10-25-2009, 11:40 PM
You're surely the only one in here who believes that polys/copolys and a touch serve-and-volley net game have anything to do with one another.

Probably because I have one of the most flexy racquets out there.

Superman1272
10-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Check out the set-up in my signature. I might find something one day that is better for my S&V/doubles game, but I have not found it, yet.

Also... If you can, I would try a set of full Natural Gut and see how long it lasts you before trying a hybrid of some sorts. You might find that it is more economical that you might first think. If you are not sitting at the base line slugging it out with major topspin for long ralleys, NG will last a good long time and will play well right up to the point that it breaks. Don't mind the fraying of NG, just keep playing until it breaks.

It is a great string for serving (powerful and plenty of access to spin)and it is wonderful (great touch) around the net.

jefferson
10-30-2009, 07:19 AM
I would stick to a set up with feel as a priority. If breaking strings is not an issue, I would avoid Poly all together! The advantage of poly is durability, the disadvantage is you sacrifice feel and touch for the durability.

All syn gut, NXT, or sensation... is what i would stick in my stick.

G-12
10-30-2009, 07:21 AM
Thanks on all the recommendations of string, but my next question would be: what is an ideal string tension with each variety of string(poly,syn,gut) for a well suited serve and volley game with the k90?

Meaghan
10-30-2009, 07:32 AM
It would have to be power/feel S&V's main first thought. Therefore it has to be gut or high end multi mains. Whether a full job is up to you to test. I find it a little too powerful and like a poly in the crosses, one that wont rip thro my gut/multi mains and to aid with control. Therefore the alu rough i really liked with my gut is out as it just shreds my mains. Ive got pro hurricane tour in crosses at mo and it seems a little more durable and i get good spin from it, but maybe some soft poly like signum pro poly plasma would be good??

As for tension it differs with racket. I couldnt really get along with the k90 but i string my pst90 at 50lbs, my kps 88 at 55lbs as its more powerful and if i have full multi or gut my tension gooes up to 57lbs in the kps88 and in the pst90 to 55lbs.

goran_ace
10-30-2009, 07:53 AM
It depends on volleying style and personal preference. A friend of mine is a pure S&V player who has very technical volleys. He really 'sticks' them and from the other side of the net it feels almost as hard as if he's hit a groundstroke at you. He played PSGD in the upper end of the tension range. On the other hand, I've also played with guys who are more of the soft hands volleyer types who can take all the pace off of an incoming ball and hit a lot of touch volleys, angles, and volleys that die when they hit the court and they typically like to string on the lower end with a multi or natural gut.

SmAsH999
10-30-2009, 09:46 AM
i serve and volley since i play a lot of dubs. i'm a 5.0, and i use zo power mains and gut crosses. really crisp and soft at the same time. great feel.