PDA

View Full Version : Does the cross string really make a difference??

Meaghan
10-25-2009, 01:21 AM
I ask as ive justed snapped my gut string, sliced through by the alu rough in the crosses in a matter of minutes.

On playtest with this set up my serve was just amazing, side swerve, kick, spin, pace etc etc

I usually get loads of spin with my full poly set up but not this kind of power.

I am still getting plenty of spin with the gut/alu set up but my question is, is the alu rough in the crosses having a real affect on my spin etc other than stiffening up the string bed and helping with control?

Do the crosses really help with spin (i know it must do to some extent) but couldnt i get away with a tighter all gut set up so that my poly doesnt slice thro it?

Or should I go back to my old set up (but other way around) with x1 in the mains and PHT in the crosses (doesnt rip thro as much as alu rough)?

bad_call
10-25-2009, 08:05 AM
didn't try crosses with extreme spin differential but power levels were substantial which was definitely noticeable. this was using the same main string type and tensions.

moroni
10-25-2009, 09:18 AM
well yeah it has an effexct natt gut and Alu is a killer combinaion .. Alu givs loads of spin and it has a nice feel .. dont recommedn you to switch

Jagman
10-25-2009, 02:06 PM
Meaghan,

My son uses the KPS88 and recently had a similar experience. We put synthetic gut in the mains and Gamma Zo Rough in the crosses. This was at 60 lbs tension. It, too, was a sweet setup with a pleasant mixture of power and control. Like you, a main broke within minutes of being used in actual play.

In my son's case, the main popped near the frame when he shanked a ball. Still, he is not usually a string breaker and I suspect that the textured poly was the real culprit, sawing through the softer main string.

For those who advocate gut in the mains and poly in the crosses, is there an issue with durability? Is it preferable to use a smooth surfaced poly, in lieu of a textured or polygonal-type poly? Perhaps tension has to be lowered to Federeresque levels?

Touring pros seem to use and like such setups, but they restring all the time. As a recreational player and non-string breaker, I prefer to leave well enough alone until either a string eventually does pop or tension/performance goes truly south. My biggest problem with polys, in fact, is that I tend to leave them in too long.

We ended up restringing my son's racquet with full poly. I'll await the outcome of threads such as this, and garner what info I can, before repeating the experiment .... or not.

Good luck with your continued efforts. Cheers!

Meaghan
10-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Meaghan,

My son uses the KPS88 and recently had a similar experience. We put synthetic gut in the mains and Gamma Zo Rough in the crosses. This was at 60 lbs tension. It, too, was a sweet setup with a pleasant mixture of power and control. Like you, a main broke within minutes of being used in actual play.

In my son's case, the main popped near the frame when he shanked a ball. Still, he is not usually a string breaker and I suspect that the textured poly was the real culprit, sawing through the softer main string.

For those who advocate gut in the mains and poly in the crosses, is there an issue with durability? Is it preferable to use a smooth surfaced poly, in lieu of a textured or polygonal-type poly? Perhaps tension has to be lowered to Federeresque levels?

Touring pros seem to use and like such setups, but they restring all the time. As a recreational player and non-string breaker, I prefer to leave well enough alone until either a string eventually does pop or tension/performance goes truly south. My biggest problem with polys, in fact, is that I tend to leave them in too long.

We ended up restringing my son's racquet with full poly. I'll await the outcome of threads such as this, and garner what info I can, before repeating the experiment .... or not.

Good luck with your continued efforts. Cheers!

Thanks Jag

As the main string takes most of the punishment and strain as well as having the most affect on performance then if its the most vulnerable in the hybrid set up its gonna snap. With this set up too if you are a heavy topspinner then you have problems.
I dont know what the Gamma rough is like but Alu rough is like razor wire! Also the tighter tension the more likely a snap.
Ive decided that although the cross string has some affect ( mainly in stiffening up the stringbed and giving a little more control if a poly) Its the main string that does all the hard work. If I wish to stay with gut or x1 biphase on the mains and benefit from the qualities they have then Im gonna go with a poly that wont have the same strain as alu rough. Ive strung gut and x1 with pro hurricane tour before and although some notches occur it is nowhere near as severe as the alu rough. Alu power would probably be fine too.
I snapped my gut string bang in the ctr. I hit heavy top and I could see it going, but i was also putting incredible strain on it with the spin on serve with pace.
Also gonna string one tighter with full gut or multi and see how that plays. I know how full poly plays and I like it but Im addicted to the power and feel of a soft string.

raygo
10-25-2009, 04:18 PM
I use gut mains and poly crosses...both the smooth (Pro Hurricane) and textured (ALU Rough) variety. Contrary to my expectations, I haven't noticed any less durability due to the textured strings.

Strings snapping at the frame is usually just a result of shanking, or possibly a cracked/broken grommet. If the break was caused by a cross sawing the main, the break would have occurred there.

I agree with Meaghan that the mains do all the work...the crosses are basically just along for the ride. If you use poly crosses and a soft main, you can limit the power somewhat, but it doesn't work the other way around. Soft crosses with a stiff main won't make the mains any more flexible. I was amazed how different the tensions are between the mains and crosses even though they are strung at the same tension...although it made perfect sense after I thought about it.

JT_2eighty
10-25-2009, 05:48 PM
I also use gut main and poly crosses, and honestly, you should use a slick surfaced poly as a cross to reduce the string-string friction and prolong string life. Not to mention that using alu rough vs. a more slick poly cross is not going to affect your ball-string friction and give any less or more spin. The majority of the spin you get is from the mains' interaction with the ball.