PDA

View Full Version : OHBH racquet takeback

Brned
10-25-2009, 07:43 AM
I'm trying to change my takeback on my one hander.

I used to pull the racquet back without using my left thumb with a wide and relaxed stroke but I was having problems when I had to handle some pace. Under pressure my stroke became unreliable and I would spray shots left and right.

Today, following a pro advice I started to also use my thumb on the
takeback and it somehow shortened my backswing and I fell my backhand became more compact and stable but somehow it feels unnatural and stiff.

Anyone with the same problem or with any advice?

Falloutjr
10-25-2009, 08:07 AM
It's a weird thing because when you take the racquet back with two hands and you use a compact swing, it's feels like you're still hitting two handed. The only thing I can really recommend is releasing your left hand sooner, but I hold the racquet with my left hand and release immediately before I swing when I wanna hit with power and I hardly even hold my racquet when I want to hit with topspin. If it's really that big a concern to you, I'd release my racquet sooner or not hold it so tight, but that might cause you to lose pace and control.

Geezer Guy
10-25-2009, 02:53 PM
I have a righty 1hbh as well, and I don't "pull" the racquet back with my left hand at all. From the neutral position position I just turn my shoulders, take the racquet a bit further back with my right hand (only) and then stroke out on the ball. Left hand stays back.

However, if what the pro told you today is working for you then stick with it. It will feel "unnatural" at first, but after awhile it will feel normal and right.

goober
10-25-2009, 03:42 PM
It will feel "unnatural" at first, but after awhile it will feel normal and right.

Quotes taken out of context are probably not a good thing to do:)

Brned
10-25-2009, 05:06 PM
It's a weird thing because when you take the racquet back with two hands and you use a compact swing, it's feels like you're still hitting two handed. The only thing I can really recommend is releasing your left hand sooner, but I hold the racquet with my left hand and release immediately before I swing when I wanna hit with power and I hardly even hold my racquet when I want to hit with topspin. If it's really that big a concern to you, I'd release my racquet sooner or not hold it so tight, but that might cause you to lose pace and control.

I still put my hand on the racquet throat but by also using the thumb the racquet feels closer to my body and my wrist feels stiffer giving the "compact" and unnatural feeling. It's by no mean like a two handed and I still release it at the same time (my left hand isn't holding back my swing).

I guess there's nothing much to do about it besides getting used...

Falloutjr
10-25-2009, 05:20 PM
Quotes taken out of context are probably not a good thing to do:)

But it's still pretty funny ;)

Slazenger07
10-26-2009, 07:19 PM
My one handed backhand is pretty mean, Im Left-handed so I initially have my right hand around the throat of the racquet for stability, but as soon as I start my swing I release my right hand from the throat. The key to hitting it well for me is to get a good knee bend and a full shoulder turn, opening up only on the follow through, with a loose, relaxed arm that extends towards my target.