PDA

View Full Version : Startingknot on second cross string??

Mano
10-25-2009, 08:12 AM
I have a question about the placement of the starting knot, when stringing the crosses.
What I learned is tying the starting knot on one of the main strings when starting to string the crosses, from top to bottom. This is, please correct me if I'm wrong, the usual protocol with the stringing patterns.

However, when i saw pictures of P1 string jobs of federer's rackets i noticed that the starting knot was on the second cross string from the top.
link:http://www.p1tennis.com/media
(In addition, on the throat of the racket the tying off knot is also on the second last cross string. So this rules out a starting knot on the mains in case of a bottom to top string job).

I was wondering what would be the advantage of doing this?
Could it be to avoid stress on the more fragile nat gut string?? Or is there another reason.
Secondly, how would you be able to tie the knot this way. I guess you'll have to weave the first to crosses, then place a clamp on the first cross then pull the second en tie the knot then??!!

I hope i make any sense.

ps: I couldn't enter any pictures but when using the link the picture can be found easily.

YULitle
10-25-2009, 08:23 AM
Chances are this was done by using a starting clamp to start instead of a knot. You leave the starting clamp in place until a few crosses into the job, then tension the first cross, clamp it with a machine clamp and then tie it off on the second cross, which is tensioned by now.

Giant Baba
10-25-2009, 08:24 AM
Chances are this was done by using a starting clamp to start instead of a knot. You leave the starting clamp in place until a few crosses into the job, then tension the first cross, clamp it with a machine clamp and then tie it off on the second cross, which is tensioned by now.

Is for stress relief only?

Mano
10-25-2009, 08:36 AM

Thanks for the quick reaction. This sounds indeed as a more plausible explanation. This way you would get a more consistent result in stead of pulling the first tension on the second cross and so tying the knot. (I was taught to me that way because you wouldn't want to pull to much tension right away on the knot).

Do you perhaps also know why they choose to tie it to the second cross instead of the mains? Is it to avoid stress on the gut?

Irvin
10-25-2009, 10:06 AM
Federer uses gut in the mains and poly in the crosses. It is probably done this way so the poly string is not tied off on a gut string.

Irvin

uk_skippy
10-25-2009, 10:36 AM

Or, if like me, you leave the starting clamp in place until all the crosses have been finished.

Federer uses gut in the mains and poly in the crosses. It is probably done this way so the poly string is not tied off on a gut string.

Yes, it is.

Regards

Paul

Giant Baba
10-25-2009, 11:20 AM

Irvin

Perfection logical when explaining this way. Thanks to you Mr. Irving for keeping so straight to this.

Rabbit
10-26-2009, 04:12 AM
When I string, I always tie off on a cross, regardless of what type string it is. Of course, this can't be done when stringing a hybrid. But, when stringing a hybrid and doing the crosses, I've always thought and heard it was better to tie off on a cross as there is less tension loss. The mains have to be tied off on a main in a hybrid, I don't know then how much you're buying with less stress on a main if anything.

My usual tact is to string the short side + the first two crosses. I then start the long side on the 3rd cross and tie off the short side 2nd cross on the 3rd after it's tensioned. The last cross is then tied off on a cross above it.

In my view, there is less tension loss when you tie off on a cross. When I string for myself, it's a full natural gut job. So, tying off on any string is going to be tying off on a natural gut string.

Irvin
10-26-2009, 04:30 AM
...there is less tension loss when you tie off on a cross...

I do not believe it makes any difference whether you tie off on a cross or a main as far as tension loss. But if you tie off a cross string you will usually have less tension loss. For this reason I like to tie off the top and bottom crosses unless the mains do not skip any holes in the head of the racket. The reason for that is because of the way most rackets are manufactured you can get your clamp closer to the knot when tying off a cross string. The distance between the clamp and the knot has untensioned string and it is very difficult to get that string tight enough to eliminate all the untensioned string.

Irvin

Steve Huff
10-26-2009, 06:07 AM
Rabbit, I have never heard this either. Less tension loss comes from tying to the CLOSEST string regardless of whether it's a main or cross. A lot of Wilson tie off the bottom cross to another cross. Babolat's tie of the top cross to the 2nd or 3 cross (using a starting clamp or floating clamp).