PDA

View Full Version : Good spin strings for Roddick Pure Drive

achokshi99
10-25-2009, 02:57 PM
I have a roddick pure drive GT (normal not x-long) and I started if off with some luxilon big bangers strung at about 53 (i had read off posts here regarding some of these strings and most folks recommended stringing a bit lower). I wasn't sure if the strings worked for me as I was just getting back into tennis after literally about 10 years off (college player DII and played hs, etc but got burned out) but either due to the tension or the string itself I'm not sure if it worked for me. So I switched to Gamma Live Wire 16s strung at 63 about a month ago.

I have played about 6 times with these strings and they are already getting frayed really badly. I don't recall my strings wearing out this fast about a decade ago (I used to use Toa Spin X on a Radical TriSys 260 (Agassi racquet) which I liked) so is it just the technology with strings and racquets that leads to faster string wear?

I hit with a lot of spin so that could be an issue and I used to love the rough strings. Does anyone have any advice on the next string to get. I love to have aggressive spin strings but want some level of durability too. Do most people here prefer polys? Not sure if it was because of the low tension on the luxilons but I feelbetter with the gammas and like the "bite" i feel the gammas have (maybe tension related). But I've heard poly players get a lot of extra power so I'd definitely want to get that advantage as well.

Thanks for any advice.

Babo
10-25-2009, 06:12 PM
I've had luck with Isospeed Baseline +Spin. These don't last quite as long as the poly's im used to playing with, but they have plenty of power and spin, so much in fact that I would have to aim higher to get the ball over the net on hard baseline strokes. The best part is you can pick up a reel for 40 bucks. Hope this helps.

Orion
10-25-2009, 06:27 PM
It's an incredible hit with Bab Pro Hurricane Tour, INCREDIBLE!!

liftlobby2
10-25-2009, 11:01 PM
fo note that PHT does not last that long. but its indead a more than decent string to play with. on the PHT you can string at lower tension, low 50s, to get power.