PDA

View Full Version : strategy

bbbbbb
10-26-2009, 07:01 AM
would this work at the highschool lvl?On your service game play your normal strokes run them from side to side dominate the court with your best stroke.Then on the return hit nothing but droppers.Hopefully im thinking they would get tired out from all the jerking them around and it would give no rythm.Then when your ready to break theyll b tired and waiting on the dropper so normal strokes would mess them up.What do you guys think?

LeeD
10-26-2009, 08:38 AM
Works if your opponent is lazy, slow, and not bothered to try.
However, if he's a normal high school player, with all the normal pressures to win and succeed, he'll just run down every angle and dropshot, and return it to your weaker side, causing you to hit short, allowing him to hit a winner.
And remember, he can make you run also, by hitting side to side, short and long, so it's not always up to YOU to make the game.

bbbbbb
10-27-2009, 04:18 AM
thing is i dont have a weaker side.And at the highschool level most players return a dropper with a dropper and also arnt adept at net. so the strategy they would counter with i'd rarely face

tennisguy2009
10-27-2009, 08:28 AM
If I played you, I would serve and volley every point until you gave up on that idea. Also if opponent has a powerful or heavy spin serve, playing drop shots off that serve is going to be tough, you will hit a lot of floaters or a lot into the net, I doubt very many dropshots are going to be decent.

If you go into a match with a fixed strategy and play against a player who is same skill level as you, but is good at thinking, you are getting to get killed. And at the end of the match you are going to think "ah hell, he isnt so good, how did I lose 6-1 6-1".

You need to have lots of different shots and styles of play, and watch what your opponent does, and play what they don't like, and play what is working for you on the day. If you opponent is good, they will catch on to what you are trying, and then adjust their game, forcing you to adjust again, and so on. If they are playing a fixed strategy or mentally lazy they will let you play your best shots to their weakest. That is how you could beat someone who is technically a better player than you, or lose to a player you should not lose to.

LuckyR
10-27-2009, 11:02 AM
would this work at the highschool lvl?On your service game play your normal strokes run them from side to side dominate the court with your best stroke.Then on the return hit nothing but droppers.Hopefully im thinking they would get tired out from all the jerking them around and it would give no rythm.Then when your ready to break theyll b tired and waiting on the dropper so normal strokes would mess them up.What do you guys think?

Reading some into your post it sounds like you are asking if it is OK to be a counterpuncher at the HS level. I would say that the answer is: yes. You can succeed to a point with that strategy. It will not work against the highest echelon but will make quick work (especially if your game is on) of folks you might otherwise have to work very hard to beat at and below your level.

Blake0
10-27-2009, 03:30 PM
Highly doubt it'll work on every highschool player..at most i'd say it'd work on 60% of them..it'd be a good strategy though, for changing as a plan B or just to do once every couple points..