PDA

View Full Version : Tension for Kirschbaum Competition

luishcorreia
10-26-2009, 03:35 PM
I just strung my two vantage racquets with Kirschbaum Competition at 46 pounds (21 Kg). I normally have it strung at 50 pounds (23 kg).

I lowered the tension because it's a monofilament string...the thing is...the racquets are like a cannon now! Can't keep the ball in play!

Is Kirschbaum Competition the kind of string where you should lower the tension or should have kept my regular tension?

competition
10-26-2009, 05:49 PM
I use competition, hence the user name. Other then pro line 2 this is my favorite string. Like all the polys i'ver tried I start at 55lbs and go from there. With this string I've kept it at 55lbs because if I go much lower I start to get the trampoline effect and my ball starts to go long and I lose the control. This string is softer then most polys i have tried, and might be why the racket is like a cannon now. Try going up a few lbs and then go from there. I have to say I do notice the tension drop a few lbs after the first day of playing with a fresh string job, but after that the string stays at at about the same tension for about 10-12 hrs and then I really feel the trampoline effect. I use a apdc with 7 grams of lead at 12 and 4 grams about 2 inches from the bottom. I am only telling you this to show that my racket is probably more powerful then the vantage rackets you use. All in all this is really a great string and for the price nothing beats it!!

meowmix
10-26-2009, 08:01 PM
I used to be an avid user of competition 1.30 in hybrids, and I still like the string. I've found that it played best for me in a hybrid in the mains at 54-55 lbs. Multis usually go in around 54-46, and synthetic guts I like around 55. Other polys I prefer at the 52-53 pound range.

luishcorreia
10-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the help guys!

luishcorreia
11-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Second week with the Competition string. getting used to it! It as a lot of pop. Next time I will string it a bit more tight, but I'm loving it! Getting better results in my games. Very nice spin and power.

Kevo
11-03-2009, 03:04 PM
I normally string competition at 55 or 56lbs. in my PSLs. I have played it as low as 45lbs. before, and I think in an 18x20 pattern you can get away with that but in a 16 main frame I would probably stick somewhere around 55.

Tension really depends a lot on your swing style, and there is a wide range of playable tensions. Don't be afraid to experiment a bit.