PDA

View Full Version : Luxury Watch Survey

ProChrono
04-14-2005, 11:45 AM
I'm a student at the University of Houston and am working with Pro Chrono Consulting Group on a marketing research project. We have developed a research survey that is targeting a group that is likely similar to those viewing this messageboard. I'd appreciate it if you would take 10 minutes of your time to take the survey. All you have to do is visit the following site and it should be self explanatory. Thank you for participating in our research.

Luxury Watch Survey (http://www.questionpro.com/akira/TakeSurvey?id=230085)

6-0 6-0
04-15-2005, 05:54 AM
Umm...10 minutes and I get what out of this?? At least throw me a bone...

fantom
04-15-2005, 06:44 AM
ProChrono,

Can you explain exactly what type of target group you're referring to? If you're assuming that tennis messageboard posters are stereotypical country club tennis snobs, you are mistaken. I'm sure there are a few of us who fall into this target group, but definitely not the majority.

Personally, i couldn't care less about your $3000 designer watches.

SC in MA
04-15-2005, 07:00 AM
Here's the short answer to your long survey. I would never buy a $3,200 watch. But if someone were to give me one, I would take the Rolex.

Or, here's a better survey question: If you had to choose between a Rolex, which you could not resell or give away, or a year's subscription to tennisplayer.net, which would you choose? I would obviously take the one that offers the most value --- tennisplayer.net.

Disclaimer: I don't have either of the above luxury items.

ProChrono
04-15-2005, 08:45 AM
ProChrono,

Can you explain exactly what type of target group you're referring to? If you're assuming that tennis messageboard posters are stereotypical country club tennis snobs, you are mistaken. I'm sure there are a few of us who fall into this target group, but definitely not the majority.

Personally, i couldn't care less about your $3000 designer watches.

No, I'm not assuming that everyone on a tennis messageboard are typical country club snobs. Juan Carlos Ferrero, Justine Henin-Hardenne, and Andy Roddick are all official Rolex "Ambassadors". I would say that Rolex has a good grasp on their target market. Even if you don't fit into the target, your opinion is valuable to the survey. The results that we've seen so far is that either people love these high end watches or they could care less ... not much inbetween. By the way, I don't even own a watch.

ProChrono
04-15-2005, 08:48 AM
Umm...10 minutes and I get what out of this?? At least throw me a bone...

You get the satisfaction of knowing that you helped a lowly student finish his semester with as little stress as possible. :)

6-0 6-0
04-15-2005, 09:27 AM
Stressful times studying up on who would buy a $3,000 watch...I feel your pain. Perhaps you should just do what all the other college students do...find the nearest keg party and take care of your stress in about 10 minutes.
I can tell you right now how your survey would come out. Serious tennis players wearing Rolex watches --- 1% if that. Serious tennis players not really giving a crap about what kind of watch they wear ---96%...the other 3% probably don't wear watches. You mentioned that Roddick, Ferrero, and Henin are all "ambassadors" of Rolex and this makes me laugh. They wear these because Rolex is paying them to wear them. Looks like your survey is going to probably bottom out here on the TW board. You might want to check out the golf scene. That is probably more of your clientel.

ProChrono
04-15-2005, 10:00 AM
Stressful times studying up on who would buy a $3,000 watch...I feel your pain. Perhaps you should just do what all the other college students do...find the nearest keg party and take care of your stress in about 10 minutes.
I can tell you right now how your survey would come out. Serious tennis players wearing Rolex watches --- 1% if that. Serious tennis players not really giving a crap about what kind of watch they wear ---96%...the other 3% probably don't wear watches. You mentioned that Roddick, Ferrero, and Henin are all "ambassadors" of Rolex and this makes me laugh. They wear these because Rolex is paying them to wear them. Looks like your survey is going to probably bottom out here on the TW board. You might want to check out the golf scene. That is probably more of your clientel.
I will be a kegger tonight :mrgreen:

I agree with you that a small percentage of tennis fans wear Rolex or the like. All I am saying is that Rolex believes that this is a slightly larger percentage than the average non-tennis fan. Otherwise Rolex would spend there money making baseball players official "ambassadors".

Capt. Willie
04-15-2005, 05:26 PM
I own three watches: A $150 Mickey Mouse, which if I had to do over I would have never spent that much money on....but it is a nice watch that often brings comments and compliments. $70 Russian made Vostok. And a cheap plastic one that was about $25. Guess which one I wear the most and ALWAYS has the correct time and date. :)

tennisadict
04-16-2005, 12:41 AM
i did my part and i will stick with my daytona steel

Phil
04-16-2005, 01:32 AM
I will be a kegger tonight :mrgreen:

I agree with you that a small percentage of tennis fans wear Rolex or the like. All I am saying is that Rolex believes that this is a slightly larger percentage than the average non-tennis fan. Otherwise Rolex would spend there money making baseball players official "ambassadors".

Rolex makes fine watches, but most of what the consumer pays for when he buys a Rolex is their marketing costs-ads in glossy magazines, yacht racing sponsorships, celebrity endorsements like J.C. Ferraro (and movie placement "ads") and other b.s. Plus, if you take the damn things in for servicing every five years as you're supoposed to, the cost for just basic service is as much as you'd pay for a new (and fine) Japanese watch, or even, say, a mid-priced Hamilton. I guess some people don't care, but I hate paying for a company's marketing costs, more than the intrinsic value of the product.

I may fall into your target market for Rolex buyers, but I could never justify such a vanity purchase. I prefer performance and value over perceived brand value-and I don't feel that I need to impress people with a piece of jewelry. I'll take a Japanese watch over Rolex any day-the movements are every bit as good as Swiss, never need adjusting or calibrating and, just like your uncle's Honda, are never in the shop-and you can wear them diving (or playing tennis) and not worry about smashing 'em on a rock or something. Although Rolex makes outstanding divers, no one wears a $4,500 Rolex to dive.

Kirko
04-16-2005, 03:04 AM
I won't take the survey , but I collect vintage rolexs eg. COMEX Sea Dwellers, Red Submariner. ans I own two Pateks, and a vintage white gold Audemars supergrand complication tourbillon.

ProChrono
04-16-2005, 06:11 AM
I won't take the survey , but I collect vintage rolexs eg. COMEX Sea Dwellers, Red Submariner. ans I own two Pateks, and a vintage white gold Audemars supergrand complication tourbillon.

Wow, great watches!! I am fascinated by the tourbillions. How did you get into collecting?

ProChrono
04-16-2005, 06:14 AM
Rolex makes fine watches, but most of what the consumer pays for when he buys a Rolex is their marketing costs-ads in glossy magazines, yacht racing sponsorships, celebrity endorsements like J.C. Ferraro (and movie placement "ads") and other b.s.

Rolex is great, but there are much higher quality fine watches out there. When you buy a Rolex, you are buying the name and they way that it keeps its value.

MegacedU
04-16-2005, 06:46 AM
I kinda like my Anne Klein and Seiko. Some of the Rolex designs are tacky.

Kirko
04-16-2005, 08:11 AM
Pro Chrono, always interested in mech. watches . I generate to "in house" movements . A tourbillon is something to behold ! There aren't many guys who can do that anymore.

Coda
04-16-2005, 11:38 AM
swiss army watch from costco baby!

camhabib
04-16-2005, 12:16 PM
I personally like JLC, but I would never waist my money on one. I admit to having one or two higher end watches but that’s it, I'm not one of those people that goes out and drops 100k on watches every few months.

ProChrono
04-16-2005, 12:30 PM
I personally like JLC, but I would never waist my money on one. I admit to having one or two higher end watches but that’s it, I'm not one of those people that goes out and drops 100k on watches every few months.

While working on this project, I've spent quite a few hours in some higher end jewelry stores. I've seen at least 5 people come in and buy 3-4 of these watches at a time. They were easily dropping $25K.

dewey4262
04-16-2005, 12:37 PM
I usually purchase Tag Heurs. It will be hard to sell watches in the higher range when you are a new company. Recently another company produced watches to compete with Rolex and others. I think the companies name was Zodiac, they were unsuccesful.

couch
04-16-2005, 06:06 PM
ProChrono,

Sorry you are getting all this flak. It's pretty funny because I am a somewhat "avid" watch collector and the attitude/maturity difference between watch discussion forums (such as Timezone) and the TW discussion boards is night and day. Pretty much all posters on Timezone and other comparable sites are very courteous and very seldom smart-off to posters like they do here.

It's also pretty funny because people here talk about spending "x" amount of dollars on a watch and how it's a waste of time and yet they will buy the latest and greatest racquets year after year in hopes of finding the "holy grail".

I guess it's all relative and everyone has their own hobbies. I collect watches as a hobby and I like the workmanship thats involved in making great watch. To each his own. I don't own a Rolex because most people who know nothing about watches and want an expensive watch will own a Rolex. I prefer watches that most people don't have a clue as to what they are or the quality of them.

Anyway, I'll take your survey and if you're into watches you should visit Timezone.

ProChrono
04-16-2005, 07:32 PM
ProChrono,

Sorry you are getting all this flak. It's pretty funny because I am a somewhat "avid" watch collector and the attitude/maturity difference between watch discussion forums (such as Timezone) and the TW discussion boards is night and day. Pretty much all posters on Timezone and other comparable sites are very courteous and very seldom smart-off to posters like they do here.

It's also pretty funny because people here talk about spending "x" amount of dollars on a watch and how it's a waste of time and yet they will buy the latest and greatest racquets year after year in hopes of finding the "holy grail".

I guess it's all relative and everyone has their own hobbies. I collect watches as a hobby and I like the workmanship thats involved in making great watch. To each his own. I don't own a Rolex because most people who know nothing about watches and want an expensive watch will own a Rolex. I prefer watches that most people don't have a clue as to what they are or the quality of them.

Anyway, I'll take your survey and if you're into watches you should visit Timezone.

I will definitely visit Timezone. I have heard the same about Rolex from collectors. What got you started collecting watches?

couch
04-16-2005, 08:09 PM
I'm not exactly sure what got me into collecting watches. I guess since it's the only peice of jewelry a man "should" wear, other than a wedding ring, I wanted to wear a nice one that would last and I could hand down to my children. The first watch I got (actually my wife got it for me as a wedding present) was an Omega Speedmaster Professional. Since then I have acquired a Ulysse Nardin, Eberhard, (2) Girard-Perregauxs.

Phil
04-17-2005, 03:25 AM
ProChrono,

Ultra-expensive Swiss watches? Please see my post a while back on pen!s extensions. But, if you want to discuss REAL watches-the non-delicate sort, check out the Seiko-Citizen forum.

SwissServe
04-17-2005, 06:36 AM
I wouldn't buy a rolex watch, as a Swiss... There are more fascinating watches like IWC (www.iwc.com), their price range is big (from around CHF 3'500 till CHF 330'000) but there are Highlights:
- ****** Complication
- Da Vinci
- Portuguese
- Pilot's watch (someday I will buy one)

I would also prefere Watches from Patek Philippe, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Blancpain, Audermars Piquet or the German Glashütte...

tricky nicky
04-17-2005, 07:12 AM
hi,

most of the best watch manufacturers moved from east germany to switzerland because of the war.

growing up as a kid I always stopped to admire flashy watches in jewellry shop windows........saying to myself one day Ill have one myself.

a few years ago I came into some money which allowed me to indulge a long held fantasy..... guess what..... when I got into the shop I couldn't buy a rollex, an omega or a brietling.

for one there are so many fakes/conterfeit copies out there (not in the shop though)

secondly, they are really only very functional and expensive trinkets.

I spent a few months researching watches on the internet.

and brought a 1941 flieger chronograph a rare and highly prized collectors item.

people dont even notice my wrist watch and if i were ever to be mugged they would think it was a cheapy.........only I know better.

regards,

tricky.

Koz
04-17-2005, 04:25 PM
I took the survey. Couldn't ever justify buying a watch like that unless I was making 6 figures. God forbid someone comes on the board and asks for a little help guys. Wanna voice your opinion? Take the survey! >:-(

Cruzer
04-17-2005, 05:09 PM
Interesting survey for what is clearly a niche market. There are so many watch makers that have decades old tradition of producing very high quality, high priced watches that it does not seem like a market where there is much, if any opportunity for a new player to enter and succeed.

couch
04-17-2005, 05:10 PM
Ultra-expensive Swiss watches? Please see my post a while back on pen!s extensions. But, if you want to discuss REAL watches-the non-delicate sort, check out the Seiko-Citizen forum.

Phil, I also have a Seiko Flightmaster and frequent the Seiko forum. Don't care too much for Citizen but like I said, "to each his own". I just like watches, all watches, and Seiko makes some high-quality watches. It looks like they are even starting to produce some high-price watches as well (other than the Grand Seiko). I also have Casio G Shock Frogman watches. So as you can see I do like all types of watches and collect them as a hobby.

Not "all" expensive watches are "delicate" watches either. Most Seikos and Citizens are quartz watches so you are somewhat comparing apples and oranges when comparing "them" to swiss mechanical watches. But you are right, Seiko and Citizen produce some outstanding watches. I guess it just depends on what type of watch you want and why you want it.

Phil
04-17-2005, 05:39 PM
My thoughts exactly, Couch. To each his own, and really, my comments are made with a wink and a nod-I like watches too.

Yes, the Japanese invented quartz, but don't discount their mechanicals in the mid-priced range. I have a mechanical Seiko diver that I bought 16 years ago and it works just as well now as it did when I walked out of the store with it-at $135 at a military commissary, and that's despite being dropped on hard floors about 3 dozen times, and scraping rocks and hitting the sides of boats. It's -7 seconds a day, without ever being opened up! I like the idea of "tool" watches actually performing at or better than they were made to do-actually, that's a good thing in any product.

couch
04-17-2005, 06:23 PM
I am actually wanting to get a Seiko Orange Monster dive watch. I love that watch. And you are exactly right, Seiko makes a great product. And with my wife just giving birth to twins it may be a while before I can afford another Ulysse Nardin, GP, etc.

I don't discount their mechanical movements either. I'm sure they are just as high-quality as their quartz models. And probably higher-quality than a lot of the swiss mechanicals out there. Just because it's swiss doesn't mean it's good quality.

ProChrono
04-17-2005, 06:46 PM
I'm not exactly sure what got me into collecting watches. I guess since it's the only peice of jewelry a man "should" wear, other than a wedding ring, I wanted to wear a nice one that would last and I could hand down to my children. The first watch I got (actually my wife got it for me as a wedding present) was an Omega Speedmaster Professional. Since then I have acquired a Ulysse Nardin, Eberhard, (2) Girard-Perregauxs.

The Speedmaster is nice. What do you think about Breitling? I like them more than the Rolex and Omega. I think the Chronomat is a very interesting timepiece.

ProChrono
04-17-2005, 06:55 PM

What about Timex? They take a licking and ...

Actually Rolex was on Merceds Gleitz, when she swam the English Channel in the record time of 15 hours and 15 minutes. In 1935, a Rolex Oyester went over 300 miles per hour on the wrist of Sir Malcolm Campbell as he set the world land-speed record in his race car at Salt Lake Flats. In 1954, Rolex accompanied the British when they reached the summit of Mount Everest (supposedly lost no accuracy in the extreme weather and rough handling). In early 1960, Rolex perfomed its most astonishing feat when it emerged from 35,798 feet ocean depth still running perfectly. The watch had been exposed to a pressure of almost seven tons per square inch. In 1973, Tom Shepperd crossed the Sahara wearing a Rolex Oyester GMT Master, which was unimpaired by exposure to extreme heat or sand storms. I don't think it's fair to call them delicate.

ProChrono
04-17-2005, 07:03 PM
hi,

most of the best watch manufacturers moved from east germany to switzerland because of the war.

growing up as a kid I always stopped to admire flashy watches in jewellry shop windows........saying to myself one day Ill have one myself.

a few years ago I came into some money which allowed me to indulge a long held fantasy..... guess what..... when I got into the shop I couldn't buy a rollex, an omega or a brietling.

for one there are so many fakes/conterfeit copies out there (not in the shop though)

secondly, they are really only very functional and expensive trinkets.

I spent a few months researching watches on the internet.

and brought a 1941 flieger chronograph a rare and highly prized collectors item.

people dont even notice my wrist watch and if i were ever to be mugged they would think it was a cheapy.........only I know better.

regards,

tricky.

At one (very short) point in time, France and England was the finished watch center of the world. But import taxes after WWI hurt a lot of the watch companies, so they moved back to Switzerland (and Germany) and closer to makers of the movements.

ProChrono
04-17-2005, 07:05 PM
I wouldn't buy a rolex watch, as a Swiss... There are more fascinating watches like IWC (www.iwc.com), their price range is big (from around CHF 3'500 till CHF 330'000) but there are Highlights:
- ****** Complication
- Da Vinci
- Portuguese
- Pilot's watch (someday I will buy one)

I would also prefere Watches from Patek Philippe, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Blancpain, Audermars Piquet or the German Glashütte...

I've seen a lot of really nice IWC watches that I would love to have.

ProChrono
04-17-2005, 07:06 PM
I took the survey. Couldn't ever justify buying a watch like that unless I was making 6 figures. God forbid someone comes on the board and asks for a little help guys. Wanna voice your opinion? Take the survey! >:-(

Thanks! :)

ProChrono
04-17-2005, 07:10 PM
Interesting survey for what is clearly a niche market. There are so many watch makers that have decades old tradition of producing very high quality, high priced watches that it does not seem like a market where there is much, if any opportunity for a new player to enter and succeed.

That is definitely a concern. History (and Marketing) seems to be a driving factor for success. The way that a lot of new companies enter the market is by buying the name of an old watch company that hasn't been produced in a hundred years and just create new watches using the old name. Then they claim they've been around since 1884. They just buy the history.

ProChrono
04-17-2005, 07:14 PM
My thoughts exactly, Couch. To each his own, and really, my comments are made with a wink and a nod-I like watches too.

Yes, the Japanese invented quartz, but don't discount their mechanicals in the mid-priced range. I have a mechanical Seiko diver that I bought 16 years ago and it works just as well now as it did when I walked out of the store with it-at $135 at a military commissary, and that's despite being dropped on hard floors about 3 dozen times, and scraping rocks and hitting the sides of boats. It's -7 seconds a day, without ever being opened up! I like the idea of "tool" watches actually performing at or better than they were made to do-actually, that's a good thing in any product.

I am just now looking into the Japanese brands. They have some great watches (at more reasonable prices). I didn't realize that they are starting to make some higher end watches.

Phil
04-17-2005, 07:17 PM
What about Timex? They take a licking and ...

Actually Rolex was on Merceds Gleitz, when she swam the English Channel in the record time of 15 hours and 15 minutes. In 1935, a Rolex Oyester went over 300 miles per hour on the wrist of Sir Malcolm Campbell as he set the world land-speed record in his race car at Salt Lake Flats. In 1954, Rolex accompanied the British when they reached the summit of Mount Everest (supposedly lost no accuracy in the extreme weather and rough handling). In early 1960, Rolex perfomed its most astonishing feat when it emerged from 35,798 feet ocean depth still running perfectly. The watch had been exposed to a pressure of almost seven tons per square inch. In 1973, Tom Shepperd crossed the Sahara wearing a Rolex Oyester GMT Master, which was unimpaired by exposure to extreme heat or sand storms. I don't think it's fair to call them delicate.

Fair enough-the high end Swiss watches can do the job, and may not be so delicate (although for $4K, they SHOULD be bullet proof, and they aren't). But you're citing international, high profile "records" events that happened 30, 40 or 50 years ago. How about NOW, day in-day out jobs that require the abolute toughest and most reliable watches in existance? In the US military, some units actually ISSUE Casios or Suuntos (or in the recent past, Marathons-Canadian watches with standard Swiss movements). Most people in the toughest, dirtiest, most life-threatening units wear Casio G-Shocks, Seikos, Citizens, Suunto and yes, the venerable Timex. Rolex is fine in the boardroom, at the opera or in some high-profiile desert Euro desert race. But for the real jobs, leave it to the workhorses.

ProChrono
04-17-2005, 08:10 PM
Fair enough-the high end Swiss watches can do the job, and may not be so delicate (although for $4K, they SHOULD be bullet proof, and they aren't). But you're citing international, high profile "records" events that happened 30, 40 or 50 years ago. How about NOW, day in-day out jobs that require the abolute toughest and most reliable watches in existance? In the US military, some units actually ISSUE Casios or Suuntos (or in the recent past, Marathons-Canadian watches with standard Swiss movements). Most people in the toughest, dirtiest, most life-threatening units wear Casio G-Shocks, Seikos, Citizens, Suunto and yes, the venerable Timex. Rolex is fine in the boardroom, at the opera or in some high-profiile desert Euro desert race. But for the real jobs, leave it to the workhorses.

I agree for $4K, you shouldn't have to worry about the thing stopping at all. I guess that's what makes some of the Japanese watches so special. You spend a couple of hundred dollars and you have the same reliability as the high end Swiss brands.

By the way, the only reason I wrote (copied and pasted) all of those international examples was that I am writing part of research report now and it was funny that I saw your comment seconds after I finished writing about those Rolex "marketing" events. :)

couch
04-18-2005, 11:44 AM
The Speedmaster is nice. What do you think about Breitling? I like them more than the Rolex and Omega. I think the Chronomat is a very interesting timepiece.

My Speedmaster is one of my favorite, if not most favorite watches. It's a 25th Anniversary Model that my wife gave to me when we got married so it definitely has the most sentimental value of my watches.

I guess if you want to talk about durable, the Speedmaster was put through some of the most rigorous testing when NASA was searching for a watch to be worn on the moon. I can't remember all the watches that were tested back then but the Speedmaster came out on top. It was the first watch to be worn on the moon and is highlighted in the Apollo 13 movie.

Omega, Rolex, and Breitling are all nice brands. I guess it depends on which model you like in each manufacterer's line. I like the Rolex Daytona, the new Breitling Chrono-mat (I think that's the new one) and of course, the Omega Speedmaster. A lot of Rolexes to me are old styling and haven't really changed in a long time, which is okay but it seems they haven't come out with anything of note lately. It's the most recognizeable brand, which is good and bad I guess. Breitlings, for the most part, are a little too blingy for me. But that's just personal opinion. I do like their less blingy models.

Anyway, I did take your survey also. Good luck with your research and your project. If you need any other help please let me know.

tennisadict
04-18-2005, 11:58 AM
Rolex is great, but there are much higher quality fine watches out there. When you buy a Rolex, you are buying the name and they way that it keeps its value.
i rather be in the save side, cause if you buy other quality fine watches doesn`t keep its value

Jonnyf
04-18-2005, 11:59 AM
i have the new red Tag F1

couch
04-18-2005, 12:32 PM
i rather be in the save side, cause if you buy other quality fine watches doesn`t keep its value

You are right about Rolex keeping their value but their are plenty of other more interesting timepieces that will hold their values other than Rolex.

PugArePeopleToo
04-18-2005, 02:30 PM
Rolex old bubblebacks are pretty neat, but their new watches don't do much for me. For sheer gaudiness, take a look at Pasha. I had a small watch collection but lost interest in them, sold them all but kept an old Calatrava, still works great. If you are interested, check out the link below.

http://www.nawcc.org/

Kirko
04-18-2005, 04:39 PM
Bubbleback I have one from 1949 . it doesn't work I have been to busy to go thru the "restore" thing.

Phil
04-18-2005, 05:11 PM
I am just now looking into the Japanese brands. They have some great watches (at more reasonable prices). I didn't realize that they are starting to make some higher end watches.

Yes, "starting" if you consider the mid-60's "starting". Seiko, Citizen and Orient have made watches in the $2 to $7K range for over 30 years, with the top-of-the-line being the Grand Seiko, Citizen Excel and Orient King collections. And they introduce new models every year at Basl.

However, the watches in these price ranges are ONLY sold in the Japanese market, though Seiko is considering expanding sales the Grand Seikos to Europe and the US next year. Seiko also makes automatic divers in the same price range as, for example, the Rolex Submariner. But when anyone mentions "Japanese" watches to a brand conscious Euro watch afficionado, the reaction is normally snickers and laughs-because no one knows about these watches. Personally, that's the way I like it. I'm sure that was the same reaction towards automobiles back in the 60's...look who's laughing now.

Kirko
04-18-2005, 06:48 PM
Seiko is a fine watch ! They make their own movement . I bought an "Orange Monster" for my brother this Passover.

Phil
04-18-2005, 07:13 PM
Seiko is a fine watch ! They make their own movement . I bought an "Orange Monster" for my brother this Passover.

The "OM" is a very cool-looking watch, and an absolute steal for the price.

Kirko
04-18-2005, 08:05 PM
you got it Phil !! It has a huge rep. for being a real wokhorse and its cool looking to boot !

bubs
04-18-2005, 09:45 PM
I got a Baume & Mercier as a graduation gift... but its kind of heavy so Im looking into a cheaper watch for every day use