PDA

View Full Version : help my 2nd serve please

serve stopper
10-26-2009, 07:15 PM
i have been trying to find some ways to practice off court on my 2nd serve. Does anyone have an idea of what to do :confused:

also what do you guys prefer to do on your 2nd serve slice or kick serve
just wondering

NickH87
10-27-2009, 08:21 AM
I got for a top spin ball...I havent really experimented with a real kicker or slice but I use a one hand backhand grip for 2nd serves and developed it pretty well.

LeeD
10-27-2009, 08:48 AM
I'm also for topspin serve, where you toss almost right over your head, but more into the court.
Kicks and slices have their place also, but you need a basic ONE second serve now, not 3-5 different second serves so you can double fault all of them.
Find a wall, and hit some first serves at it, then some seconds. Aim 60" high with topspin second serves. A court is better, as you can see angles, placements, depths, bounce, pace, spin, and heights.
Kinda like...you can't really practice basketball on a football field.

charliefedererer
10-27-2009, 09:03 AM
^^^LeeD's advice is spot on.
Just like on groundtrokes, topspin will spin your ball down and into the court. Toss the ball a little more to the right (assuming you are righthanded) and you'll have a slice/topspin serve. Toss it a little to the left, and you'll have a kick/topspin serve. But get that heavy topspin on your serve as the predominant spin to serve your ball forcefully, and get it in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlPVdppfYGs&feature=related

NickH87
10-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Another thing I forgot to mention is that you really have to go for it. Dont get conservative thinking that I just want to get the ball in or else it will have no pace and dump into the net.

serve stopper
10-27-2009, 11:48 AM
alright thanks guys and also thank you for the video to

Vyse
10-27-2009, 11:52 AM
your only as good as your 2nd serve.

paulfreda
10-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Topspin for sure on the 2nd serve.

And you must swing harder to put energy in to creating the spin.
Avoid the tentative slower speed swing that reflects your fear of double faulting.
Swing hard to spin it and you will almost never miss getting it in.

Then you can move up to learning to place it to the FH, BH or at the receiver's body.

brado32003
10-27-2009, 07:00 PM
your only as good as your 2nd serve.

My first serve is 100%... So this quote doesn't apply to the best players i guess...

Slazenger07
10-29-2009, 08:48 AM
i have been trying to find some ways to practice off court on my 2nd serve. Does anyone have an idea of what to do :confused:

also what do you guys prefer to do on your 2nd serve slice or kick serve
just wondering

I prefer a twist serve with about 60% topspin and about 40% slice, toss the ball slightly behind your head and out in front of your body, then go after it. Thats what I do and my second serve is pretty solid and wins me quite a few cheap points. I use a slice serve on the ad side occasionally as a second serve, just cause my lefty slice is so mean.

In D Zone
10-29-2009, 09:01 AM
Topspin, slice or Topspin SLice to the middle or bh side of the opponent.

I have seen too many players would hit 2nd serve to the opponents FH. a recipe for getting smacked!

You can then try learning kick later - since you already have the other serve as your main staples