PDA

View Full Version : Best player without a slam final

hlkimfung
10-26-2009, 09:03 PM
sorry move the thread here, don't know why the title cannot be editted

Henman - 4 wimbledon SF, 1 roland garros SF

Haas - 2 (or 3?) Aus open SF, 1 Wimbledon SF

Bjorkman - 1 US open SF, 1 wimbledon SF

Haas got the highest best ranking - 2, while the other two are ranked 4 at highest.

Henman got the most slam SF

Bjorkman is considered the weakest single player of the three, but got double to back up

Haas was aways for two years (his prime years), result could be a lot better if he didn't went thru the injury and family accident

hlkimfung
10-26-2009, 09:08 PM
just ckecked, surprisingly, Haas never play the year end TMC, so as two time slam finalist Pioline and Scud. Kiefer does

All player in the list are stronger than some one-time slam finalist, such as

Verkerk, whatelse he had done

Washington, poor injury

Clement, i always thin Gorsjean is better than him

Coria, not weak, but injury prone

akv89
10-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Davydenko. 3 masters titles, 4 semifinals, a bunch more QF's, a final in the TMC, and consistently ranked in the top 5 for 4 years. I think he deserves it the most from those I can think of.

I think Ferreira deserves a mention as well. He made it to two SF's at the AO, and 3 more QF. He also won 2 masters titles and was ranked as high as 6.

hlkimfung
10-26-2009, 09:13 PM
Except Davy, other on the list is either done or almost done, so a fair time to judge. That's why I didn't put Ljubicic or Kiefer

I could add some other, like Lapentti, Kucera, Jiri Novak, but those are second tier compared to Haas, Henman, Bjorkman

maybe I should add Blake, but wait, he even never make the SF!

MuseFan
10-26-2009, 09:52 PM
Def Davydenko.

hlkimfung
10-26-2009, 10:06 PM
did Ljubicic make any slam semi? I cannot recall

Magix
10-27-2009, 12:23 AM
did Ljubicic make any slam semi? I cannot recall
French Open '06. Rafa beat him in 3 sets, I think.

Voted for Davy. He still might get there one day, though. But I have to say that Grosjean was a very close second.

Australian Open - SF '01, QF '03, QF '04, QF '06
French Open - SF '01, QF '02
Wimbledon - SF '03, SF '04, QF '05
*Results above stolen from Wikipedia.

Grosjean sure played some solid tennis at the Slams.

Blinkism
10-27-2009, 12:48 AM
Davydenko from this list but let's not forget

Wayne Ferreira - 2 AO SF's and QF, 1 W QF, 1 USO QF, 1 Olympic Silver, 2 Master's titles and 1 final + Top 10 player

And don't forget Schalken, he lost to the eventual champion for 2 years in a row at the USO (QF and SF) and made QF's 3 years in a row at Wimbledon.

vive le beau jeu !
10-27-2009, 01:26 AM
sorry move the thread here, don't know why the title cannot be editted

Henman - 4 wimbledon SF, 1 roland garros SF

Haas - 2 (or 3?) Aus open SF, 1 Wimbledon SF

Bjorkman - 1 US open SF, 1 wimbledon SF

Haas got the highest best ranking - 2, while the other two are ranked 4 at highest.

Henman got the most slam SF

Bjorkman is considered the weakest single player of the three, but got double to back up

Haas was aways for two years (his prime years), result could be a lot better if he didn't went thru the injury and family accident
you forgot a US open SF (2004) for henman...

i'm hesitating between henman and davydenko... one one hand, more SF for henman (6 to 4), but on the other hand, davydenko reached the final of the masters cup (so did grosjean -it's true- also with 4 slam SF, but he played it only once and really has less titles...).
it's close.

slam SF: henman 6, davydenko/grosjean/haas 4
slam QF: henman 10, davydenko/grosjean 9, haas 7
masters cup: davydenko F(2008 ) & SF (2005), grosjean F(2001), henman SF (1998 ), haas (never participated)*

titles: davydenko 18, haas 12, henman 11, grosjean 4

best rank: haas #2, davydenko #3, henman/grosjean #4
top10 weeks: henman 243, davydenko 211, grosjean 111, haas 83

*haas is a bit unlucky to have never played the masters cup: he finished #8 in 2001 (but goran got the 8th spot due to his wimbledon title), #11 in 1999, 2002, 2006, #12 in 2007 !

wyutani
10-27-2009, 01:29 AM
Henman of course. no one can change that.

8pNADAL
10-27-2009, 01:39 AM
henman by far

lambielspins
10-27-2009, 02:33 AM
If this is a thread about singles players Bjorkman's inclusion is pointless, and as he has won doubles slams if it includes doubles his inclusion is still pointless.

kOaMaster
10-27-2009, 02:47 AM
davydenko. I think he's already better than henman overall, has more titles and better statistics. plus - henman already retired, davydenko still has some more possible achievements to go.

Anaconda
10-27-2009, 02:51 AM
Henman was overrated, he never had what it takes to get into a slam final. Even if he was unlucky due to the rain he's not the only one and would have still found out a way to lose to goran.

Davydenko is the most siccessful, but then again you have tommy haas who might have got to a final if he didn't get injured. I would pick davydenko.

Polvorin
10-27-2009, 02:52 AM
I have a feeling that Davydenko's recent victory is going to skew the poll results.

Cesc Fabregas
10-27-2009, 02:59 AM
Henman > Haas and Davydenko.

Anaconda
10-27-2009, 03:02 AM
Henman > Haas and Davydenko.

I would put them in the same league as each other to be honest. Maybe haas had more talent than Henman and Davydenko.

grafselesfan
10-27-2009, 03:24 AM
It depends on how you look at, but what is key for me is Henman was better on grass than Davydenko or Haas or any one particular surface, particularly if we exclude on this topic a non slam surface like indoors which IMO is Davydenko's very best surface of all. So basically he was a bigger and more real threat at Wimbledon than Davydenko or Haas ever were at any slam. In 98 and 99 he pushed Sampras still near his best to tough 4 setters, not many guys of the last 2 decades can do that. Tough for anyone to have Sampras during his Wimbledon reign in the way. He was unlucky in 2001 with the rain delay costing him a place in the final vs Rafter, and then in 2002 with them slowing the courts to ridiculous margins. He may have still lost to Hewitt anyway, especialy as Hewitt unfortunately is a horrible matchup for him, but it sure as heck would have been alot closer on true grass.

Haas is talented but I always found his talent exagerrated by some. At his peak in the early 2000s before all the injuries he still wasnt good enough to win a slam and the field was pretty weak back then also. When I watch Haas play I think to myself he is a nice player, but there is nothing that really stands out. As for Davydenko I think everyone knows that he is a real workhorse who has achieved a very fine career more through hard work than overwhelming talent. An extremely hard working but just moderately good talent, with a suspect mental game and belief system to boot, I can understand why he has topped out at the semifinal stage.

Cesc Fabregas
10-27-2009, 03:33 AM
It depends on how you look at, but what is key for me is Henman was better on grass than Davydenko or Haas or any one particular surface, particularly if we exclude on this topic a non slam surface like indoors which IMO is Davydenko's very best surface of all. So basically he was a bigger and more real threat at Wimbledon than Davydenko or Haas ever were at any slam. In 98 and 99 he pushed Sampras still near his best to tough 4 setters, not many guys of the last 2 decades can do that. Tough for anyone to have Sampras during his Wimbledon reign in the way. He was unlucky in 2001 with the rain delay costing him a place in the final vs Rafter, and then in 2002 with them slowing the courts to ridiculous margins. He may have still lost to Hewitt anyway, especialy as Hewitt unfortunately is a horrible matchup for him, but it sure as heck would have been alot closer on true grass.

Haas is talented but I always found his talent exagerrated by some. At his peak in the early 2000s before all the injuries he still wasnt good enough to win a slam and the field was pretty weak back then also. When I watch Haas play I think to myself he is a nice player, but there is nothing that really stands out. As for Davydenko I think everyone knows that he is a real workhorse who has achieved a very fine career more through hard work than overwhelming talent. An extremely hard working but just moderately good talent, with a suspect mental game and belief system to boot, I can understand why he has topped out at the semifinal stage.

Excellent post as always.

8pNADAL
10-27-2009, 03:40 AM
how many slam semi-finals have davey and henman made?

Polvorin
10-27-2009, 03:41 AM
Excellent post as always.

I second that. And I'm a little surprised since I don't often agree with the poster...but I think he or she is right on.

mtr1
10-27-2009, 04:08 AM
Henman. More of a threat on his best surface against a strong grass court field, and even made the semis on his worst surface at the French.

8pNADAL
10-27-2009, 04:24 AM
Davydenko's best result in a Grand Slam tournament has been reaching the semi-finals, which he has done on four occasions - twice each at the French Open and the U.S. Open. He was runner-up at the 2008 Tennis Masters Cup and has won 3 Masters Series shields.

Henman played a serve-and-volley style of tennis that suited the grass courts of Wimbledon. He was the first player from the United Kingdom since Roger Taylor in the 1970s to reach the semi-finals of the Wimbledon Men's Singles Championship. Having reached six Grand Slam semi-finals, won 15 career ATP titles (11 in singles and 4 in doubles), and been ranked number 4 in the world, Henman was one of Britain's most successful open era male tennis players.He retired after helping Great Britain defeat Croatia in a Davis Cup match played in September 2007.

dropshot winner
10-27-2009, 04:26 AM
Davydenko's best result in a Grand Slam tournament has been reaching the semi-finals, which he has done on four occasions - twice each at the French Open and the U.S. Open. He was runner-up at the 2008 Tennis Masters Cup and has won 3 Masters Series shields.

Henman played a serve-and-volley style of tennis that suited the grass courts of Wimbledon. He was the first player from the United Kingdom since Roger Taylor in the 1970s to reach the semi-finals of the Wimbledon Men's Singles Championship. Having reached six Grand Slam semi-finals, won 15 career ATP titles (11 in singles and 4 in doubles), and been ranked number 4 in the world, Henman was one of Britain's most successful open era male tennis players.He retired after helping Great Britain defeat Croatia in a Davis Cup match played in September 2007.
Wikipedia is great, isn't it?

ninman
10-27-2009, 04:29 AM
Federer, he would never have made 1 final if he'd had some real competition instead of all the losers he's been beating all these years.

8pNADAL
10-27-2009, 04:30 AM
Wikipedia is great, isn't it?

yes quick and easy

hlkimfung
10-27-2009, 05:41 PM
how about rank these one-time slam SF and compare to somoene who never reach slam semi but loved on this broad - Blake, for his personal life and head-to-head against Nadal

Lapentti
Escude
Kucera
Hrbaty
Jiri Novak
Schalken
Woodforde
Woodbridge

in a way, I found Blake similiar to Guy Foget, who also never reach slam SF but couple of qtr (1 in Aus open, 2 in Wimbledon, maybe) IMO Guy Forget had better overall result than the the list above, winnning the Paris indoor MS in 1991, a big event back then

Cyan
10-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Haas.................

All-rounder
10-28-2009, 10:08 AM
davydenko

10 char

Anaconda
10-28-2009, 12:14 PM
James Blake didn't even get to a semi, but managed to get to #4. Don't know how but fair play, he would be a contender. He has weapons but acts like a dummie on court.....shame.

flying24
10-28-2009, 02:13 PM
James Blake didn't even get to a semi, but managed to get to #4. Don't know how but fair play, he would be a contender. He has weapons but acts like a dummie on court.....shame.

There is no way Blake is the best player to never reach a slam final compared with people like Davydenko, Haas, Henman, and some others. However if you are talking about best player to never reach a slam semi he could be a very strong candidate for that.

Andres
10-28-2009, 05:12 PM
What about Clerc?

True, only 2 SF at Roland Garros, but he won 25 singles titles, and has slam wins over Lendl and Connors (he defeated Lendl at Roland Garros in straights, bagel included and also bageled Connors at the FO just to lose to Lendl in 5 at the SF)