PDA

View Full Version : Diffrence between stringers

PHSTennis
04-11-2004, 10:21 AM
Can someone tell me what the diffrence are for the cheap stringers and the more expensive ones, and is that table is necessary, I just want a pretty good stringer for a reasonable price, and drop weights what are the diffrence between all these things ? what should I get, I want something under $500 and will string pretty good thanks in advance

Gaines Hillix
04-11-2004, 04:31 PM
PHSTennis, I think there is a difference in the quality of construction and the customer support provided by the company that sells them. I prefer Alpha, Gamma and Laserfibre among the consumer quality brands in the low to mid price range. The clamps are an especially important part of the machine. Next is the frame mount and then the tension head. I would avoid any Eagnas machine. There are more problems reported on here with their machines and also complaints about their after sale support. The ATS SS II and Silent Partner Swing are good, basic machines. The Gamma Progression II 602FC, Alpha Pioneer DC and Laserfibre ECHO with flying clamps are good ones in the middle price range. The ECO with fixed clamps would be better, but I am pretty sure it's well over $500 now.

PHSTennis
04-11-2004, 05:04 PM
What will these things do to strining? The difficulty? accuracy?

Gaines Hillix
04-11-2004, 05:20 PM
Clamps are important because they need to hold the string firmly and prevent it from slipping, but without the clamps having to be so tight that they crush the string. All metal diamond dusted clamps work well. Spirng assisted, dual action swivel clamps are very flexible and easy to use. Single action clamps are quick to use because the base and string gripper lock with only one lever. Flying clamps are less desireable than fixed clamps. They use another string as an anchor point, so the string can twist causing tension loss. Some of them are quite cheaply made as well. The frame mount supports the racquet while it is being strung, so it is also very important. The more support points the better. This part of the machine keeps the racquet from warping while it is being strung. The tension head is responsible for pulling the string to the tension that you want to achieve. Accuracy is obviously key here.

Progressive10s
04-11-2004, 08:11 PM
I think that you will find that the ECO with fixed clamps is not over the $500 mark. I just spoke with Tim Sullivan at Laserfibre in Kingston, RI. The guy had some great information and gave me prices over the phone. Call him at 1-888-895-2350. I had been wavering between a Gamma and Alpha model, but I am sold on the Laserfibre MS 200 TT.

hangzhou
04-11-2004, 08:42 PM
MS 200 ECO with fixec clamps list price is $589 now, and it was $569 before. The model with flying clamps is priced at around $360, forgot the exact number already.

PHSTennis
04-12-2004, 01:51 PM
What should I get if I dont have much money to work with? Well I plan to charge friends a few bucks to string theirs...

Gaines Hillix
04-12-2004, 04:19 PM
Get the best machine you can afford is my recommendation. What is your budget for a machine? If we know that we can make a recommendation for you.

hangzhou
04-12-2004, 05:40 PM
PHSTennis: Laserfibre will give you free sample strings. Last time I asked Tim for a reel of synthetic gut and 2 polyester strings. If you go with MS200 ECO with fidex clamps, your initial cost will be about $610 ($40 for shipping). With the synthetic reel, you should be able to string 10 rackets (390' length). Say you charge $10 for each of them. Then your cost will do down to $510, very close to your original budget.

PHSTennis
04-12-2004, 06:35 PM
Well, Im trying to spend as little as I can but if its need for the expensive one I ll have no choice. I have bought so much tennis gear this month! Rackets and everything, my creditcard bill wont look nice, thats why I dont think I should spend much on it