PDA

View Full Version : Are your family members fans of the same player you like?

P_Agony
10-27-2009, 01:58 AM
Who does you family cheer for?

In my case, my dad is a long time Sampras fan (although he thinks Federer is the best ever, despite not liking him one bit), he still enjoys tennis today but he says something is just missing in today's game. Given that my dad played S&V himself back in the day, I'm not surprised he thinks so.

My mom is the biggest tennis freak, she watches every match on TV from the ATP to TWA. If she misses one she records it no matter what. She's a huge Nadal fan, along with my little brother, and she claims Federer annoys her because he's "too perfect for everyone else".

My 2nd brother isn't really into tennis, although he watches from time to time and he really likes Hewitt.

As for WTA goes, we are all fans of Dementieva.

What's your story? :)

valiant
10-27-2009, 02:00 AM
My bro n papa dont watch tennis. They like cricket. My mom doesnt watch sports. I am the only one who watches and plays tennis.

forgot to add - federer, henin and steffi my favourite players :)

jelle v
10-27-2009, 02:04 AM
My mother sometimes watches tennis very little, but she likes Federer because he doesn't grunt. (My mother says they should forbid grunting in tennis..)

My sister watches tennis a little more and she likes Federer too. She's no a big fan though, no one in my family except me is a big tennis fan.

P_Agony
10-27-2009, 02:08 AM
My mother sometimes watches tennis very little, but she likes Federer because he doesn't grunt. (My mother says they should forbid grunting in tennis..)

My sister watches tennis a little more and she likes Federer too. She's no a big fan though, no one in my family except me is a big tennis fan.

Are you a male or a female?

jelle v
10-27-2009, 02:15 AM
Male.. :) Why?

P_Agony
10-27-2009, 02:40 AM
Male.. :) Why?

Because you talked about you mother and sister so I thought you were a girl power house. :)

Anaconda
10-27-2009, 03:17 AM
All my family root for federer because he's the only tennis player that they know (they haven't got any knowledge of sports)........................................... .........................sigh.

sh@de
10-27-2009, 03:26 AM
My sister likes Fed too, my parents like Roddick LOOOL.

zagor
10-27-2009, 05:05 AM
Pretty much,my mom is a big tennis fan(and a pretty good player),she's a big Fed fan,she also likes Gasquet,Nalbandian,Grosjean and Llodra on men's side(and Mcenroe,Sampras,Agassi,Kuerten and Rafter from the older eras) and Henin,Kim and Mauresmo on WTA.My sister isn't really into sports at all but she likes Fed and Gonzo(the way they look not the game,she finds them attractive).

sh@de
10-27-2009, 05:56 AM
Pretty much,my mom is a big tennis fan(and a pretty good player),she's a big Fed fan,she also likes Gasquet,Nalbandian,Grosjean and Llodra on men's side(and Mcenroe,Sampras,Agassi,Kuerten and Rafter from the older eras) and Henin,Kim and Mauresmo on WTA.My sister isn't really into sports at all but she likes Fed and Gonzo(the way they look not the game,she finds them attractive).

Woah, but don't the two look completely different? I mean, they're complete opposites! One's a gentleman, the other's a pirate LOL :)

jmverdugo
10-27-2009, 06:22 AM
My wife is a huge Fan of Rafa, one could say she is a *******. I would say that my favorite playes is still Federer but I really enjoy watching many other players like Rafa, Djokovic, Murray, Roddick, Del Potro and many others.

mandy01
10-27-2009, 06:26 AM
My dad's all time favourites are Borg and Agassi and Becker.These days he dosent get to watch tennis too closely.Sad,because he really enjoys the game.That said he likes Federer the most.He also likes Nadal Del Po and Djokovic.He likes the individual character they bring to the court.Finds it interesting.

My mum roots for Roger.But she isnt too deep into tennis anymore.Her all time favourites are Mcenroe and Agassi and .She watches slam finals and all that.
Oh she also likes Tsonga.

My brother is a Nadal fan :roll:

Two of my aunts who follow tennis are HUGE Federer fans.One of them calls him a 'magician'.
All my cousins who are into tennis are Federer fans :D
One of my uncles who does follow the game is a Fedal.

geese_com
10-27-2009, 06:41 AM
My dad and I are Fed fans. My mom is a Nadal fan. Makes for a very interesting household since we are all/were tennis players.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-27-2009, 06:44 AM
Who does you family cheer for?

In my case, my dad is a long time Sampras fan (although he thinks Federer is the best ever, despite not liking him one bit), he still enjoys tennis today but he says something is just missing in today's game. Given that my dad played S&V himself back in the day, I'm not surprised he thinks so.

My mom is the biggest tennis freak, she watches every match on TV from the ATP to TWA. If she misses one she records it no matter what. She's a huge Nadal fan, along with my little brother, and she claims Federer annoys her because he's "too perfect for everyone else".

My 2nd brother isn't really into tennis, although he watches from time to time and he really likes Hewitt.

As for WTA goes, we are all fans of Dementieva.

What's your story? :)

My dad used to like Borg/Wilander in the 70`s and 80`s, and in the 90`s Agassi.
Now he is a Fed-fan
My mom and my 2 brothers doesnt care about tennis at all.
Oh and my dog is also a huge Fed-fan!

Gorecki
10-27-2009, 06:49 AM
My Father speaks with passionate love about his Slazenger wood frame and how he loved to watch Alex Olmedo, Ken Rosewall, Manolo Santana, Roy Emerson and the GOAT Rod Laver...

mom dosnt care for sports at all...

my two older brothers are massive Borg and Vilas fans...

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-27-2009, 06:52 AM
my two older brothers are massive Borg fans...
Thay have great taste :)

Gorecki
10-27-2009, 07:04 AM
Thay have great taste :)

well... Borg is my 3rd all time fav mainly because of them! even tough i have only very vage memories of him playing live in my black and white electrolux tv. i obviously avidly comsumed all of his tennis info after growing up!

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-27-2009, 07:07 AM
well... Borg is my 3rd all time fav mainly because of them! even tough i have only very vage memories of him playing live in my black and white electrolux tv. i obviously avidly comsumed all of his tennis info after growing up!
Yeah, thats what big-brothers can do! I really tried to get my brothers (4 and 10 years younger than me) into tennis but they were totally uninterested whatever I did...Even my dad told them to try tennis at leat once but they just refused.

bluescreen
10-27-2009, 07:12 AM
my family and i r overwhelmingly for federer, although my dad roots for roddick a lot too. at wimbledon this year he was going for roddick. it was almost unforgivable.

Gorecki
10-27-2009, 07:20 AM
Yeah, thats what big-brothers can do! I really tried to get my brothers (4 and 10 years younger than me) into tennis but they were totally uninterested whatever I did...Even my dad told them to try tennis at leat once but they just refused.

i grew up in a family of racquet sports players... where everyone in the family play two or more of them. so tennis was just one part of the equation...

i thank them for that. my older brothers gave me a wood racquet when i was a kid, that i still have with me...

"Commander pro" :)

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-27-2009, 07:24 AM
i grew up in a family of racquet sports players... where everyone in the family play two or more of them. so tennis was just one part of the equation...

i thank them for that. my older brothers gave me a wood racquet when i was a kid, that i still have with me...

"Commander pro" :)
They played squash? Badminton? Table-tennis? Thats a cool name, sounds good:), save it. I wish i had saved all my rackets through the years...

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
10-27-2009, 07:24 AM
To this day I am the only memeber of my family that plays or even watch tennis. :cry:

Gorecki
10-27-2009, 07:33 AM
They played squash? Badminton? Table-tennis? Thats a cool name, sounds good:), save it. I wish i had saved all my rackets through the years...

in fact, i refer to my extended family, where i include Uncles and cousins...

everyone was into one or more of those, ranging from Tennis,
Badmington, Speedmington, Squash, Table tennis, Beach tennis, Racquetball, Padel tennis...

strangely enough, while everyone seems naturaly talented for these sports, no one did very far, competitive wise...

the commander pro is getting a new leather grip this week so i can hang it on the wall of my living room, side by side with my Jackson Pollock number 5 replica and a Sidartha painting...

ksbh
10-27-2009, 08:08 AM
Suffice to say that your family is wonderfully diverse when it comes to tennis following!

I can only imagine what the living room must look like when the grand Slams get underway. I hiope you have more than 1 TV! LOL!

My dad's all time favourites are Borg and Agassi and Becker.These days he dosent get to watch tennis too closely.Sad,because he really enjoys the game.That said he likes Federer the most.He also likes Nadal Del Po and Djokovic.He likes the individual character they bring to the court.Finds it interesting.

My mum roots for Roger.But she isnt too deep into tennis anymore.Her all time favourites are Mcenroe and Agassi and .She watches GS finals and all that.
Oh she also likes Tsonga.

Two of my aunts who follow tennis are HUGE Federer fans.One of them calls him a 'magician'.
All my cousins who are into tennis are Federer fans :D
One of my uncles who does follow the game is a Fedal.

JennyS
10-27-2009, 08:12 AM
My mom thinks of Roger as the son she never had. She loves him! On the women's side, she likes Venus and Serena (although she was not too happy with Serena's tirade at the US Open).

My dad couldn't give a rat's butt about tennis. He only likes baseball.

My sister likes Venus and used to like Andy Roddick, but got sick of him losing so she likes Roger more now. Haha.

icedevil0289
10-27-2009, 09:11 AM
my dad used to be a huge tennis fan, used to tape all the matches in the late 80's, early 90's, but hasn't really followed up with it. He used to be a sampras fan and now likes djokovic and I think he likes federer. He always hopes fed wins so I'm not uspet.

my mom has no clue about tennis and wonders why I get so overworked by it.

My sister is not into tennis at all and when I'm watching a match, she will cheer for the other player just to annoy me.

One of my cousins is a huge, huge tennis fan and a huge federer fan. She was the person who sort of introduced me to tennis and because of her I became a tennis fan and a big fed fan. Her husband is a big nadal fan.

I remember, all of us watching wimbledon 2006 together, along with some other family friends and only my cousin and I were rooting for fed, and everyone else was rooting for nadal. It was a lot of fun, filled with a lot of bickering and screaming.

edit: it's kind of funny, but despite most of my family members not being the biggest fans of tennis, my parents and my sister watched the entire US Open 2009 final, and they were all rooting for federer. When he lost, my sister called me up saying she was sorry for the loss, and she said they were all on the edge of their seats, hoping he would win for my sake, which I thought was sweet. When I told her I was not upset, she's like "what, we all were nervous, on the edge of our seats, hard core rooting for fed, hoping he would not lose so you would not be upset, and now you don't seem to care."

mandy01
10-27-2009, 09:22 AM
Suffice to say that your family is wonderfully diverse when it comes to tennis following!

I can only imagine what the living room must look like when the grand Slams get underway. I hiope you have more than 1 TV! LOL!
It indeed is .My family is full of sport-lovers basically :D
Most of my cousins stay in the same city as mine but they dont come over for all the finals.But we're constantly on the phone. :lol:

icedevil0289
10-27-2009, 11:42 AM
It indeed is .My family is full of sport-lovers basically :D
Most of my cousins stay in the same city as mine but they dont come over for all the finals.But we're constantly on the phone. :lol:

haha sounds fun. When a fed match is on, I usually call my cousin and we discuss the match during the breaks and I tend to get very pessimistic, so she usually calms me down.

Baikalic
10-27-2009, 12:00 PM
no one in my family follows sports of any kind, but my mom finds Federer handsome. That's about it.

serve stopper
10-27-2009, 12:02 PM
i am a roger/juan fan

my brother is a rafa fan and sometimes a Hewitt(depends on who he is playing)

My dad roots for whoever the underdog is in a match

My mom does not play or watch

and my sister doesn't watch, but sometimes play

LiveForever
10-27-2009, 12:04 PM
None of my friends and family members care about tennis and some of my friends question my orientation because I would rather watch tennis any day than a football game. :lol:

T1000
10-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Dad - Federer/Sampras
Mom - Blake
Sister 1 - Nadal
Sister 2 - Davydenko
Me - Hewitt

Andres
10-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Noooooooo!!!!

My father is a big Federer fan, so is my mother. They do hate Djokovic and Murray.

I dislike Federer. A lot. A real lot :)

CCNM
10-27-2009, 04:19 PM
My mom will watch anybody. I know she liked Chris Evert and Sampras back in the day.

crazylevity
10-27-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm a Federer fan, and my girlfriend's a Nadal fan.

We fight sometimes. :p

downdaline
10-27-2009, 06:21 PM
My mom hated Nadal and his grunting and his sleeveless shirts. Then when he switched to the polos, she tot he was handsome.

My dad is a fan of the tennis serve. He likes whoever serves huge.

My lil bro is a fan of Tsonga, just because he happened to catch *that* Tsonga-Nadal match. (rolls eyes)

Im a Sampras & Federer fan. But no one in the family knows who Sampras is. And the only thing they seem to appreciate about Federer is his nice hair and his elegant clothes.

ubermeyer
10-27-2009, 07:22 PM
roger federer, though I watch tennis more than they

sh@de
10-27-2009, 07:32 PM
My mom hated Nadal and his grunting and his sleeveless shirts. Then when he switched to the polos, she tot he was handsome.

My dad is a fan of the tennis serve. He likes whoever serves huge.

My lil bro is a fan of Tsonga, just because he happened to catch *that* Tsonga-Nadal match. (rolls eyes)

Im a Sampras & Federer fan. But no one in the family knows who Sampras is. And the only thing they seem to appreciate about Federer is his nice hair and his elegant clothes.

hahahah I love your family :)

Blinkism
10-27-2009, 07:43 PM
My Dad has no favorites, I suppose. He likes Federer and Nadal

My Brother likes Nadal and Hewitt

My Mom likes Murray (guess where's from ;) )

And my girlfriend likes Djokovic, but I also make her cheer for Nadal

And, ofcourse, I'm Murray's #1 fan for life!!!

:)

Sentinel
10-27-2009, 07:45 PM
We are all Sania Mirza fans. We do tolerate Federer, Tsonga, Delpo and others, though, when there's no Sania or Paes to watch.

CanadianChic
10-27-2009, 07:53 PM
My mom is the only one in my family who is really into tennis. We differ on a couple but generally root for the same players. We also are very similar (if not identical) in our top favourites.

ronalditop
10-27-2009, 07:56 PM
My dad is the only one from my familiy who plays tennis besides me and he's a big federer fan, also he hates Nadal because of his antics.

Dimitrov_Fan
10-27-2009, 08:05 PM
my father cheers for dimitrov, my mother cheers for dimitrov, my sister cheers for dimitrov, my brother cheers for dimitrov, my aunt cheers for dimitrov

my uncle cheers for del potro...

we dont speak to him anymore

P_Agony
10-27-2009, 11:32 PM
My Dad has no favorites, I suppose. He likes Federer and Nadal

My Brother likes Nadal and Hewitt

My Mom likes Murray (guess where's from ;) )

And my girlfriend likes Djokovic, but I also make her cheer for Nadal

And, ofcourse, I'm Murray's #1 fan for life!!!

:)

Wait, your mom is a Murray fan? How do you two get along, my mom is a Nadal fan and my house was basically World War 3 during the Wimbly 2008 final.

Blinkism
10-27-2009, 11:37 PM
Wait, your mom is a Murray fan? How do you two get along, my mom is a Nadal fan and my house was basically World War 3 during the Wimbly 2008 final.

Oh wow, that must have been brutal! I had a similar experience whilst watching the final of the 2006 World Cup in a room of Italian supporters and French supporters :shock:

And my mom mainly cheers for Murray during Wimbledon time, but I try not to troll her too much. Her side of the family is British so there's no use convincing anyone that Murray's a pusher.

And she thinks he's handsome:shock:... the logic behind that I don't see, really

The side-effect of "Murray-Mania" must be delusion and irrational thoughts

P_Agony
10-27-2009, 11:42 PM
Oh wow, that must have been brutal! I had a similar experience whilst watching the final of the 2006 World Cup in a room of Italian supporters and French supporters :shock:

And my mom mainly cheers for Murray during Wimbledon time, but I try not to troll her too much. Her side of the family is British so there's no use convincing anyone that Murray's a pusher.

And she thinks he's handsome:shock:... the logic behind that I don't see, really

Murray handsome? I like Murray, but looks isn't excatly one of his strong attributes.

mandy01
10-28-2009, 12:44 AM
Oh man I LOLed when I read this :lol:

Wimbledon 2008 :roll: :roll:

icedevil0289
10-28-2009, 03:24 AM

what are you talking about? Murray is to die for. *drool*:lol:

edit: it seems no one liked my wonderful family story :cry:

Blinkism
10-28-2009, 08:12 AM
what are you talking about? Murray is to die for. *drool*:lol:

edit: it seems no one liked my wonderful family story :cry:

I loved your wonder family story, icedevil :)

And I also remember when you had to get your updates about the French Open final from your cousin, that must have been pretty fun

Awesome sig, btw. Federer needs to get a leather jacket, slick his hair back, and stand up against a wall smoking a cigarette and the look is complete.

He's got the attitude

Not this, though...
http://www.swissinfo.ch/xobix_media/images/sri/2009/sriimg20090811_11062868_1.jpg

icedevil0289
10-28-2009, 09:02 AM
hahah, rebel fed would be awesome.

yeah, during the FO, I was doing a walk for breast cancer, so I had to be updated and when I found out he won, I wanted to scream, but I think that might have freaked out the other people who were walking.

cknobman
10-28-2009, 12:09 PM
I like Federer but my wife dosnt. She says she dosnt like him because hes always winning and someone else deserves to.

I tell her that he dosnt "always" win but just the same she always roots against him no matter who he is playing.

jms007
10-28-2009, 12:49 PM
Nobody in my family likes tennis. My dad and brother are sometimes slightly interested when they want to place a bet on one of those betting sites.

GraniteHoosier
10-28-2009, 03:51 PM
I like Hewitt. My wife likes Roddick, something about buzz cut guys from the US heartland appeals to her.

Sentinel
10-28-2009, 07:31 PM
my father cheers for dimitrov, my mother cheers for dimitrov, my sister cheers for dimitrov, my brother cheers for dimitrov, my aunt cheers for dimitrov

hahaha !!!!! i hope this wasn;t too serious. :)

shaysrebelII
10-28-2009, 09:33 PM
my family just knows by now not to root against Fed in my presence. They also like Roddick a lot. They have a peculiar dislike for Rafa that I can't comprehend tho...

As far as past players are concerned, Agassi is their favorite (although I haven't talked with them about it since the drug news.)

On the women's side, they're not as critical of the Williams sisters as I am, but they're staunchly anti-Henin, unlike myself. We find common ground over liking Clijsters, one might say.

djokovicgonzalez2010
02-18-2010, 07:37 AM
My mother is world's biggest Nadal fan :P. My half-brother hates nadal, but hates Nole too. In general, yes though.

TheMusicLover
02-18-2010, 08:03 AM
My BF always vehemously roots for the opponent of the player that I root for in a match. Does that count? :)

kishnabe
02-18-2010, 11:57 AM
My Mom and Dad likes to see Nadal play. I like Federer more so...
My Cousins will pick anything other than Federer!

lambros
02-18-2010, 12:26 PM
I like to watch Federer play.
My dog likes to watch Nadal becasue they both scratch their asses.

MethodTennis
02-18-2010, 12:33 PM
My family dont give 2 flying ****s about tennis there all fat as hell and couldnt play sport for ****. I'm ina bad mood if ya cant guess :mad::evil::mad:

FEDERERNADAL13
02-18-2010, 12:53 PM
I like federer, my dad likes federer, my brother likes nadal, and my mom doesn't care.

R.Federer
02-18-2010, 01:18 PM
I like to watch Federer play.
My dog likes to watch Nadal becasue they both scratch their asses.

looooool comedy gold

both me and my parents are fed fans but they like nadal vs anyone else

vive le beau jeu !
02-18-2010, 03:20 PM
oh, i sympathise, mandy. :|

did you perform a DNA test ?

malakas
02-18-2010, 03:35 PM
wow all of you coming from tennis families!:shock: :cry:
I instead try my best to turn my family into tennisfans.

So far I've managed to make my mom a fed fan but that's only because she sees me worrying so much when he plays and also she doesn't like nadal's expressions on court.

In ALL the other sports my family follows we're completely opposite sides.
Me against them that is.:)So I suppose it isn't that bad they don't care about tennis.

hahaha :mrgreen: