PDA

View Full Version : which player has the most potential on each surface?

8pNADAL
10-27-2009, 04:19 AM
"Nadal has the advantage on the clay if he is healthy. But Murray, I don't favour anybody over him on any surface at any time if he brings to the table all he can." - Andre Agassi (Oct 2009)

pame
10-27-2009, 04:40 AM
One would think the historical record answers your question

big bang
10-27-2009, 04:45 AM
I have been a fan of Andre since I saw him the first time, and I hurts me to say: you are wrong Andre..

8pNADAL
10-27-2009, 04:54 AM
One would think the historical record answers your question

nah i mean of TODAYs players

lambielspins
10-27-2009, 06:21 AM
Agassi needs to get off Murray's jockstrap. He has ridicously overrated Murray for awhile now.

paulorenzo
10-27-2009, 06:26 AM
nah i mean of TODAYs players

i'm almost certain he was referring to federer.

dropshot winner
10-27-2009, 06:46 AM
Agassi needs to get off Murray's jockstrap. He has ridicously overrated Murray for awhile now.

He's right, Murray's potential is undeniable.
It's funny how he went from overhyped to vastly underrated in just a few months.

Del Potro is overhyped these days. Murray will likely make him look foolish and clumsy more than once in 2010.

jamesblakefan#1
10-27-2009, 06:48 AM
Murray is going to win a slam next year.

dropshot winner
10-27-2009, 06:57 AM

I also have that feeling, unlike this year where I had doubts.

Anaconda
10-27-2009, 07:09 AM

What slam do you think he will win?

dropshot winner
10-27-2009, 07:12 AM

My guess is AO.
No way he wins RG, and in Wimbledon the hype will be too much if he has still not won a slam, US Open is a possibility too but he's more vulnerable to the big hitters there.

jamesblakefan#1
10-27-2009, 07:13 AM

If Federer does not win Wimbledon, Murray will be the guy to take it.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-27-2009, 07:15 AM
I don't favour anybody over him on any surface at any time if he brings to the table all he can." - Andre Agassi (Oct 2009)
Big words from a big man, a legend. Although for the 1st time in a long time I disagree with Andre...

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-27-2009, 07:17 AM
My guess is AO.
No way he wins RG, and in Wimbledon the hype will be too much if he has still not won a slam, US Open is a possibility too but he's more vulnerable to the big hitters there.
Dont you think the heat in AO will affect him? It has in the past.

Anaconda
10-27-2009, 07:19 AM
If Federer does not win Wimbledon, Murray will be the guy to take it.

I think that sounds a little bit too good to be true, but we will see. I think if Federer doesn't win it, then it will be between Nadal and (depends on how well he is serving) roddick.

I think Murray's best chance is USopen - but the problem is that there might be too much pressure on him at that stage if he doesn't win a slam before that.

I think Murray could be very good on clay - he's defensive and has got some great strokes. He needs to become pro-active on court and take control of the points.

dropshot winner
10-27-2009, 07:22 AM
Dont you think the heat in AO will affect him? It has in the past.

Nah, Murray is fit enough. I wouldn't be surprised if we even saw him outlast a few opponents, he's known to make players run a lot.

If his wrist is healthy I'd be very surprised if he lost before the SF.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-27-2009, 07:26 AM
Nah, Murray is fit enough. I wouldn't be surprised if we even saw him outlast a few opponents, he's known to make players run a lot.

If his wrist is healthy I'd be very surprised if he lost before the SF.
I think you are wrong...he is incredibly fit but imo his level of play in AO is not as good as in Wimby or USO, might be the heat.
We will have to wait n see.

dropshot winner
10-27-2009, 07:29 AM
I think you are wrong...he is incredibly fit but imo his level of play in AO is not as good as in Wimby or USO, might be the heat.
We will have to wait n see.

Murray wasn't at 100% in the AO this year and lost to Tsonga in the 1st round in 2008, that's why a lot of people think he can't play as well there.

But the court suits his game well. It's difficult to get a ball past Murray in those conditions.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-27-2009, 07:33 AM
Murray wasn't at 100% in the AO this year and lost to Tsonga in the 1st round in 2008, that's why a lot of people think he can't play as well there.

But the court suits his game well. It's difficult to get a ball past Murray in those conditions.
Due too the heat? :-?
It should suit his counter-punching game really well yes, might be a little to slow though.
Yes, and in 2007 he should have beaten Nadal imo.

dropshot winner
10-27-2009, 07:44 AM
Due too the heat? :-?
It should suit his counter-punching game really well yes, might be a little to slow though.
Yes, and in 2007 he should have beaten Nadal imo.

The heat didn't help, but his main problem was the virus. And yet he still nearly beat Verdasco.

Murray could be top2 in 2010, but it depends on his wrist and mind.

rommil
10-27-2009, 08:06 AM
The problem with Murray is that he plays the same against any opponent anyday. Of course he is fit but the way he is going, injuries and fatigue will catch up to him. He needs to find a way to win with shorter points especially against lower ranked players that way he will be fresher towards the end of the tournament especially in GS. He will need it against higher caliber opponents. Plus he has been touted to have won Wimby or a GS title already by now he is feeling more and more pressure.
So as a potential, yes but he should be past that by now.

dropshot winner
10-27-2009, 08:11 AM
The problem with Murray is that he plays the same against any opponent anyday. Of course he is fit but the way he is going, injuries and fatigue will catch up to him. He needs to find a way to win with shorter points especially against lower ranked players that way he will be fresher towards the end of the tournament especially in GS. He will need it against higher caliber opponents. Plus he has been touted to have won Wimby or a GS title already by now he is feeling more and more pressure.
So as a potential, yes but he should be past that by now.

Nadal and Del Potro will struggle even more with injuries. I don't hope it for Juan, but I see an torn ACL or something like that in the next few years.

You're right about the shorter points, Murray needs to save some energy in the early rounds of the slams.

Unlike what many think, Murray is good enough to win a slam against the best playing mostly defense. But he could be a lot more dangerous and unpredictable if he used his attacking game as well as he's capable of doing.

jamesblakefan#1
10-27-2009, 08:28 AM
Nadal and Del Potro will struggle even more with injuries. I don't hope it for Juan, but I see an torn ACL or something like that in the next few years.

You're right about the shorter points, Murray needs to save some energy in the early rounds of the slams.

Unlike what many think, Murray is good enough to win a slam against the best playing mostly defense. But he could be a lot more dangerous and unpredictable if he used his attacking game as well as he's capable of doing.

:shock:

I agree about him possibly being injury prone w/ his frame, but I don't think something as freak as a torn ACL is something you can just predict, definitely not in tennis.

dropshot winner
10-27-2009, 08:31 AM
:shock:

I agree about him possibly being injury prone w/ his frame, but I don't think something as freak as a torn ACL is something you can just predict, definitely not in tennis.
One wrong step is enough to f**k up the knee for good. It happened to Scud and Safin, they were never the same again (and doesn't even have to be ACL).

JDMP is really nice guy and I hope I'm wrong, but a baseliner as tall as that needs a borderline-miracle not to injure his knee.

rommil
10-27-2009, 09:01 AM

I disagree with the last statement .Murray will need to be more offensive and dictate points to win a GS. At that stage, there is too much tension that playing defensive would be the last thing to do. In a final, it will be too hard on somebody's psyche to roll that way and hoping the other person makes the mistakes. See US Open final 2009.
I must say that I don't really consider Murray to be a defensive player. Mostly he can look that way with his style but he's just setting up the point. I hope he can find a balance of that and ending the points quicker to save himself some more energy.

rommil
10-27-2009, 09:03 AM
One wrong step is enough to f**k up the knee for good. It happened to Scud and Safin, they were never the same again (and doesn't even have to be ACL).

JDMP is really nice guy and I hope I'm wrong, but a baseliner as tall as that needs a borderline-miracle not to injure his knee.

I hope del Potro stays injury free. I really admire his game and the fact that he doesn't play a tall guys conventional game. He moves so well for a guy his size and is solid off the ground. Him and Cilic are fun to watch.