PDA

View Full Version : Funny things people have said/done while watching tennis with you

JennyS
10-27-2009, 09:19 AM
During the US Open, I put the Sharapova/Oudin match on in the break room at work. When Maria was grunting, everyone in the room started laughing. Haha.

Also, during the Maria/Serena Australian Open semi of 2005, my cat watched the match for about 45 minutes. She was literally staring at the TV and mesmerized. When I walked in front of her and blocked her view, she literally moved around so she could see around me. This is the only time she's ever done this!

spacediver
10-27-2009, 09:32 AM
that's actually quite remarkable (about the cat)

Moose Malloy
10-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Was watching tennis in the dorms when I was in college, & some guy walking by was taken aback that there were 4 people on the court. He didn't know that doubles existed! When I told him that there was also 'mixed' doubles, he thought I was joking.

And yes, I too have experienced many people laughing at grunting players over the years (going back to Seles) whether from roommates, coworkers, friends, family etc.

When crowds at Center Court burst out laughing mid point(was it Venus-Sharapova?) you know you have a problem.

rk_sports
10-27-2009, 03:05 PM
maybe not the funniest.. but few friends have said this.. and its almost common among those who dont play tennis.. "why couldn't he/she hit there.. its was simple.. all he/she has to do is hit there.. so stupid" .. crack me up.. all the time ;)

tenniskid567
10-27-2009, 11:09 PM
maybe not the funniest.. but few friends have said this.. and its almost common among those who dont play tennis.. "why couldn't he/she hit there.. its was simple.. all he/she has to do is hit there.. so stupid" .. crack me up.. all the time ;)

Haha thats my favorite one...I love that. However, even being a player, I find myself thinking similar things often. Haha funny though.

prattle128
10-27-2009, 11:15 PM

Sometimes I think that way about certain points in my own matches lol.

IvanAndreevich
10-27-2009, 11:19 PM
So cat are people now?

Noveson
10-27-2009, 11:31 PM
I always get the, "why didn't he run for that?" from people.

downdaline
10-28-2009, 12:22 AM
"Why does he get to serve TWICE?" (on a player's second serve)

"The guy in green is gonna lose. He doesnt hit hard enough. The other guy will win for sure. He's got such flair." (during the 2006 Australian Open Final - the guy in green was Federer, other guy was Baghdatis)

"Wait a minute! His RACQUET isnt white! Disqualification!" (from a friend when watching Nadal walk out on court during the 2007 Wimbly finals)

"The spin from the serve comes from the toss. The spin the ball when they toss to give them the spin." (absolutely W.T.F.)

sh@de
10-28-2009, 12:26 AM
Wow what's up with your cat. Seriously, that's... scary :p

Yuuzuki
10-28-2009, 12:51 AM
lol cats do the funniest things XD
I miss my cat back home in the UK T__T

I've subscribed to this thread...I'm sure I can collect some stories from my tennis classes during the year haha

heumy
10-28-2009, 05:50 PM
I once watched tennis with a friend who I hate watching sports with. Mainly because he doesn't understand the game that well. Also he's annoying.

Roddick matches are a solitary and intense experience for me, and that was the only time i've ever watched one with someone else, and it was terrible. He kept saying stuff like "WOW! What a good shot!" when it wasn't that good or when Roddick missed a tough shot, he would say "what a bad miss" and I was just getting ****ed.

Never making that mistake again. To make it worse, this was during the 09 Wimby final, I had woken up at 6 AM to watch the match, he wakes up in the middle of the 5th set and tells me to "not get so upset" when Roddick loses. I've been following him for 8 years. Give me a break. Sorry for this rant, it may not belong in this thread, but I had to get it out there with other tennis people.