PDA

View Full Version : Why most 2handers don't slice unless they have to?

Golden Retriever
10-27-2009, 08:21 AM
Most 2handers only slice when they are on the run, out of reach or really really bored. They clearly prefer to hit the 2hander. Why don't they slice more to add more variety?

dropshot winner
10-27-2009, 08:23 AM
Usually because their slice is useless.

boredone3456
10-27-2009, 09:26 AM
Usually because their slice is useless.

pretty much, one handers can a lot of times just slice better while when a 2 hander does it it really doesn't do much productive for them. They can usually spin the ball well, but the slice is just well...like you said useless.

Vyse
10-27-2009, 09:29 AM
I slice lower balls that are difficult to return with my 2 hander. it is pointless to slice unless you really have to in todays game or if your opponent can't return it/break rythm. a drop shot is good every now and then tho. My topspin shot is much better than my slice as my slice will mostly sit up too much

IvanAndreevich
10-27-2009, 09:39 AM
I slice lower balls that are difficult to return with my 2 hander. it is pointless to slice unless you really have to in todays game or if your opponent can't return it/break rythm. a drop shot is good every now and then tho. My topspin shot is much better than my slice as my slice will mostly sit up too much

If you believe that, then you have never seen Federer play players with a 2HBH. That, or you were not paying attention.

boredone3456
10-27-2009, 09:41 AM
If you believe that, then you have never seen Federer play players with a 2HBH. That, or you were not paying attention.

I think in general terms the comment applies, for most players with a 2 hander the slice is a useless shot, Fed may be an exception, but he is not the rule.

Mick
10-27-2009, 09:50 AM
if i could hit a 2hbh, i would not use the slice either -- that is unless my opponent likes fast ball and hates slow ball :)

LeeD
10-27-2009, 09:51 AM
In the distant past, some two handers used sliced two handers... FrewMcMillian, GeneMayer, JimmyConnors....but they added some sidespin component to the shot.
They all also had one handed slice backspin returns, for low balls, short balls, or really wide shots.
Kinda like maybe why most of us don't hit forehands with slice. Since we can topspin it, we do !
But variety is the spice, so maybe we should mix it up more often....

Mick
10-27-2009, 09:57 AM
In the distant past, some two handers used sliced two handers... FrewMcMillian, GeneMayer, JimmyConnors....but they added some sidespin component to the shot.
They all also had one handed slice backspin returns, for low balls, short balls, or really wide shots.
Kinda like maybe why most of us don't hit forehands with slice. Since we can topspin it, we do !
But variety is the spice, so maybe we should mix it up more often....

LeeD, do you think it's possible to hit a jimmy connors style backhand with a one hand ?

prattle128
10-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Like others have said, their slice lacks the ability to drive through the court, so if they can be offensive, they use their regular topspin backhand. Normally they will just use slice as a defensive shot because it is a weaker shot, and they can't quite get the bite on it that would allow them to be offensive with it.

salsainglesa
10-27-2009, 10:26 AM
they are confortable with their top spin priority tactics... the 2hbh isnt the problem it is the little will and effort to practice slice for tactical purpposes what hinders variety in the game and the creativity in players...

Max G.
10-27-2009, 10:40 AM
if i could hit a 2hbh, i would not use the slice either -- that is unless my opponent likes fast ball and hates slow ball :)

Yep, there's plenty of opponents like that though.

salsainglesa
10-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Like others have said, their slice lacks the ability to drive through the court, so if they can be offensive, they use their regular topspin backhand. Normally they will just use slice as a defensive shot because it is a weaker shot, and they can't quite get the bite on it that would allow them to be offensive with it.

slice can be offensive... taking into account the geometry of the court and net, there are advantages to hitting a low bouncing skidding ball... the time it takes for a ball to get from your raquet to the possible strike zone of the otherguy is crucial, and the low bounce contributes in favor to this, it also makes him hit up, the closerto the net, the bigger obstacle it becomes... so, its just a paradigm. there are tons of tennis paradigms

jazzyfunkybluesy
10-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Gotta have the slice. Variety rules.

big bang
10-27-2009, 11:14 AM
slice is the most underrated shot of todays tennis..

Migelowsky
10-27-2009, 11:42 AM
the same reason why not many people hit slice forehands,
our backhand is like having another forehand on the opposite side.

Vyse
10-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Haha, I knew someone would nail me on that. It was rather careless especially since the next two things I wrote are very important

sureshs
10-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Slice is for lazy wimps

Anaconda
10-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Murray and Roddick slice when they DON'T have to.

All-rounder
10-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Murray and Roddick slice when they DON'T have to.
NO only roddick slices, and thats when he uses it for approaching the net

Mick
10-27-2009, 01:26 PM
if you don't slice, you cannot hit a drop shot -- at least i have never seen anybody on tv hitting a drop shot without using a slice.

jazzyfunkybluesy
10-29-2009, 06:51 AM
Slice is for lazy wimps

Screw you. An agressive slice is an excellent play on both wings. Yoda is a gimp and so are you.

Slazenger07
10-29-2009, 07:10 AM
pretty much, one handers can a lot of times just slice better while when a 2 hander does it it really doesn't do much productive for them. They can usually spin the ball well, but the slice is just well...like you said useless.

you must have a ****** slice, mine does a lot for me. I use a one-hander and the slice was the first backhand I owned. Mine stays so low it barely gets off the court most times, hardly useless.

Slazenger07
10-29-2009, 07:11 AM
Screw you. An agressive slice is an excellent play on both wings. Yoda is a gimp and so are you.

lol. well said.

Slazenger07
10-29-2009, 07:15 AM

Wtf are you talking about? Murray has the best slice in professional tennis, he uses it more than most people.

Slazenger07
10-29-2009, 07:17 AM
Slice is for lazy wimps

haha id like to see you handle my slice backhand, you'd be screwed.

norbac
10-29-2009, 07:18 AM

Actually Murray slices a lot, and I've seen Roddick throw in the slice plenty of times just to mix it up, not just because he's approaching net.

KuanMaster
10-29-2009, 07:19 AM
santoro uses slice very often

kOaMaster
10-29-2009, 07:41 AM
murray is not that far away from playing sometimes a 1hbh. and he slices good with 1h

Vermillion
10-29-2009, 08:08 AM
I think that they don't use it more often because the takeback is different from their topspin groundstroke.

All-rounder
10-29-2009, 10:48 AM
delete post

All-rounder
10-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Wtf are you talking about? Murray has the best slice in professional tennis, he uses it more than most people.
MURRAY!!!!! slices more and better than FEDERER ARE YOU CRAZY