PDA

View Full Version : Power at low tension?

Racer41c
10-27-2009, 11:29 AM
So the common thinking is lowering tension results in higher power and vicea versa at higher tensions. In my experience this is true in the 54-62 lb range. But at some point, does lowering tension stop increasing power? For example, I have a syn gut in my racquet right now at 54 lbs. I'd like to increase power but would dropping to 52 have the same effect as dropping from 56 to 54? It seems like at some point dropping tension won't increase power. Or maybe the playability goes out the window so it doesn't matter?

Anyway, I'd appreciate your input.

Thx.:confused:

Audiophile
10-27-2009, 11:58 AM
I am of the opinion it depends on the type of string, racquet, etc. I've found many polys to play very well at 48-50 lbs. in a mid - mid plus racquet. However, I don't think gut plays very well at that tension. I would definitely not go that low if you are playing with an oversize. It all comes down to "string bed stiffness" and how it feels and plays to you. Yes, in general, the lower the tension, the more power. But you are correct to point out that it's only to a certain extent before it becomes unplayable.

I hope this helps and good luck.