PDA

View Full Version : Tennis warm ups?

siowmotion
10-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Hey I am a new coach and I have several warm up tennis exercises, but this will be my first year teaching at this school, and I was wondering what TW does to warm up before games/practices?

And if you can name other exercises you don't do but you see other people do.

Geezer Guy
10-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Do you play tennis?

Kenny022593
10-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Do you play tennis?

Do you answer questions?

OP for the camp that i do they have us run 3 times around the court then 1 lap karaoke and 1 lap shuffle. then we do 50 ski jumps and like 2 wind sprints. then we do arm circles and play mini tennis. then it is just basically hitting down the line.

that is the warm up

siowmotion
10-27-2009, 11:55 AM
Do you answer questions?

OP for the camp that i do they have us run 3 times around the court then 1 lap karaoke and 1 lap shuffle. then we do 50 ski jumps and like 2 wind sprints. then we do arm circles and play mini tennis. then it is just basically hitting down the line.

that is the warm up

I see, well the current coach right now has a really long warm up (like half hour) and most of them are very not helpful, just wears you out, and I will be taking his position for guy season, and I want to have a 5-12minute warm up exercises that will stretch all there muscles and ready to practice/games

@Geezer Guy, yes I play tennis, but my warm ups are very short and I been using my warm up for any sports I play.

Geezer Guy
10-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Do you answer questions?

You didn't like my question?

My High School tennis coach didn't know how to play tennis. That's why I asked. The answer slowmotion gives would determine how I answered his question.

siowmotion
10-27-2009, 12:07 PM
You didn't like my question?

My High School tennis coach didn't know how to play tennis. That's why I asked. The answer slowmotion gives would determine how I answered his question.

Sorry I didn't quite give enough detail on me, but I been playing tennis for about 5 years and this is my first time teaching an actually team, I taught some people how to play tennis and it turned out okay just I want to make a name for myself(LOL). This school I am teaching at is very underrated at tennis, or so I am told.

mike53
10-27-2009, 01:25 PM
And if you can name other exercises

Walking lunge with twist
jump squat with overhead arm extension

If you have any budget, buy some elastic bands and have everyone do

D1 and D2 PNF extension and flexion
various internal and external shoulder rotations
Ts and Ys

If you have even more budget, buy some light medicine balls (6-8 lbs) and do

chopping wood
figure eights
various passes and throws

12 minutes sounds great

Geezer Guy
10-27-2009, 04:31 PM
I'm not sure if you're looking for pre-match warm-up, or for training exercises you can do to increase strength and stamina.

For pre-match or pre-practice, I'd just encourage the kids to warm up the way you probably warm up before your matches. Take some volleys, hit some groundstrokes, take serves and hit some returns. Assuming they don't have as much match experience as you do, make sure they hit both forehands and backhands from each position. Make sure they take some overheads while they're at the net. Etc. I'm not a big fan of pre-match stretching - especially static stretches. Just warm up slow and easy and gradually increase the intensity. Maybe a bit of jumprope, but I wouldn't do anything else.

As for an exercise routine, go to www.Tennis.com and look through the Fitness sections. You'll find several articles for exercises specific to increasing performance on the court. But, be careful. I'm not sure kids should be doing the same strength exercises as adults.

I've done just a little bit of work with kids in the community. Free tennis lessons. Stuff like that. However, I'm the first to admit I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Good luck.