PDA

View Full Version : Torn between forehands

callen3615
10-27-2009, 02:25 PM
Hey guys. Im confused. Im not confident in my current forehand. I dont swing out much in matches. I hit lots of slice because im afraid I will hit it out. Ive been playing the semi western for about 3 months now and Im not sure im comfortable using it. I learned on the eastern grip. I feel more comfortable using it. If I do switch back to a flatter grip I will go to the extreme eastern grip.

Heres some info on my style.

Im currently using the kps88. I like to hit with slice on both sides. 2 hand backhand, eastern grip. Im trying to learn to hit topspin on the forehand side, currently using semi western. I like to come to net, especially on a good serve, or approach shot.

So which grip should I stick with? Im either going to go with the semi western or the extreme eastern.

GuyClinch
10-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Not much difference between those grips IMHO. Your swing path will make more of a difference. For either of those grips try to get your racquet below the ball and swing up and through the ball.

callen3615
10-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Hmm, noted. So lets add eastern to the list of options.

The_Steak
10-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Why are you using a KPS? It doesn't even sound like you are good enough to use it.

GuyClinch
10-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Eastern will work fine - but I prefer the extra spin built into SW personally. YMMV.

And about the racquet - yeah I haven't hit with that racquet but it sounds like it would make your life harder. I tried hitting with Federer's racquet one time and honestly it felt AWFUL. It was the worst racquet I ever hit with. I find it harder to play with his racquet then wood.

Bungalo Bill
10-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Hey guys. Im confused. Im not confident in my current forehand. I dont swing out much in matches. I hit lots of slice because im afraid I will hit it out. Ive been playing the semi western for about 3 months now and Im not sure im comfortable using it. I learned on the eastern grip. I feel more comfortable using it. If I do switch back to a flatter grip I will go to the extreme eastern grip.

Im currently using the kps88. I like to hit with slice on both sides. 2 hand backhand, eastern grip. Im trying to learn to hit topspin on the forehand side, currently using semi western. I like to come to net, especially on a good serve, or approach shot.

So which grip should I stick with? Im either going to go with the semi western or the extreme eastern.

You can learn both with ease. Review the pat-the-dog-on-the-head posts for a four step process.

Also, help me clarify what an extreme Eastern is? This term is usually reserved for the backhand side.

callen3615
10-27-2009, 03:42 PM
Its inbetween the sw and eastern.

Bungalo Bill
10-27-2009, 04:04 PM

Okay, that is a good grip. I use that grip and so do other players. Sort of the best of both worlds that is the best of both worlds.

The nice thing about that grip is you can use the classic swing and the WW swing very similar to the SW. It also gives you a bit more stablity and arm syncing than the Eastern.

callen3615
10-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Thanks bill.

ubermeyer
10-27-2009, 08:20 PM
extreme eastern is very rarely used now. it might confuse your opponents, but i think SW is the way to go.

callen3615
10-27-2009, 08:22 PM
extreme eastern is very rarely used now. it might confuse your opponents, but i think SW is the way to go.

Even if the sw has caused me lots of arm pain?

snr
10-27-2009, 08:58 PM

Then I think the answer is simple; to at least try out the extreme eastern.

Vyse
10-27-2009, 09:08 PM
You clearly dislike the semi western

user92626
10-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by callen3615

BB: Okay, that is a good grip. I use that grip and so do other players. Sort of the best of both worlds that is the best of both worlds.

With that grip, do you guys have a swing path like Agassi or like Fed?

Before I knew different grips, I already stumbled on sw and thought it was the simplest! A natura grip to swing like Tsonga or Verdasco.

wyutani
10-27-2009, 09:36 PM
u are paranoid, both are inches away from being identical.

pls stop being paranoid. african children are hungry. think about that.

prattle128
10-27-2009, 11:31 PM

I don't even know where to begin as far as interpreting the point of this post- but maybe that's the point..

wyutani
10-27-2009, 11:47 PM
I don't even know where to begin as far as interpreting the point of this post- but maybe that's the point..

sorry, not for the simple-minded.

mawashi
10-28-2009, 01:35 AM

That's the first I've ever heard that a grip will cause arm pain. How exactly do you swing that a semi western grip will give you pain?

mawashi

mawashi
10-28-2009, 01:37 AM

Talk bout being paranoid!

mawashi

Bungalo Bill
10-28-2009, 06:16 AM

Ubermyer,

Can you please provide information on this? It is known that Federer, Agassi, along with others (including myself) use an inbetween grip.

Bungalo Bill
10-28-2009, 06:17 AM

Callen, the SW should not cause you extreme pain. I got a feeling something else is going on.

callen3615
10-28-2009, 06:19 AM
Let me clarify something here.

I know the eastern/extreme eastern is phased out in the pro game but so has s&v. How many club players s&v, alot more than the pros right?

Get the point?

callen3615
10-28-2009, 06:22 AM
Callen, the SW should not cause you extreme pain. I got a feeling something else is going on.

Like what? Ive hit eastern for this entire year up to the summer when I played people who hit sw. I wanted to hit like them so I changed. It caused me pain in the top of my forearm. It hurts all the time now. I just want to play tennis pain free.

Bungalo Bill
10-28-2009, 01:15 PM
Let me clarify something here.

I know the eastern/extreme eastern is phased out in the pro game but so has s&v. How many club players s&v, alot more than the pros right?

Get the point?

Callen3615, the inbetween grip or a mild SW or strong Eastern is not phased out. Players do use that grip.

Djokovicfan4life
10-28-2009, 03:47 PM
I really don't see why such a small change would result in arm pain. The difference between SW and EE is a matter of millimeters, after all.

bhupaes
10-28-2009, 03:54 PM
To the OP: I suspect you are gripping your racquet too tightly since you are not yet comfortable with your new grip.

Bungalo Bill
10-28-2009, 04:09 PM
Like what? Ive hit eastern for this entire year up to the summer when I played people who hit sw. I wanted to hit like them so I changed. It caused me pain in the top of my forearm. It hurts all the time now. I just want to play tennis pain free.

I guess that is what I am trying to get too. What does it mean when you say "hit like them."

What I am saying is that the SW grip is not the culprit. It is most likely what you are doing while in this grip that could be a problem. I really don't know what because that has many variables. I would have to see how you hit with it and what you are doing.

However, on the other hand, the inbetween grip you were talking about is a good grip also even though the name of it isn't quite solidified. Like I said, I hit with that grip and love it.

tricky
10-28-2009, 04:47 PM
I agree with BB. I can see where changing up a grip may cause some initial soreness. But you're well past that stage in your stroke.

My guess is that your FH has a "chicken wing" element in it. That is, as you approach your contact point, your right elbow fans out exaggeratedly. As you finish, it looks like you're "flapping" your right arm. Eastern grip provides strong enough double-bend support that you probably don't notice that much. However, it also means that you would have problems with getting sufficient topspin on a lot of your shots without slef-consciously applying it.

If you're really doing this, then as you go with a more extreme grip, the support from the double-bend starts to weaken significantly. As a result, you may be feeling strain from it. The underlying problem wouldn't be the grip. It would be a significant hitch in your takeback and perhaps somewhere in your unit turn. The grip is merely revealing it.

VaBeachTennis
10-28-2009, 05:25 PM
To the OP: I suspect you are gripping your racquet too tightly since you are not yet comfortable with your new grip.

That may be it right there.................Good point.

Slazenger07
10-29-2009, 09:34 AM

You can learn to hit topspin with the eastern grip, I hit really heavy topspin with this grip, this will also make your forehand really consistent when you get the brushing motion down. The key is to get your racquet much lower than the incoming ball, then rather than visualizing hitting through the ball, visualize brushing it up and then really go after it and accelerate the racquet upwards, once you get the heavy topspin down your forehand will not only be consistent, it will be aggressive as well and you will have the best of both worlds.

OHBH
10-29-2009, 09:41 AM
EASTERN!! It is most certainly not obsolete. A terrific grip I would say.

Jay_The_Nomad
10-29-2009, 09:44 AM
You're more comfortable with Eastern.

You started out learning tennis with the eastern.

SW gives you pain.

I think you answered your own question mate! :)